Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 70

Thread: Xiao Feng versus Zhang Wuji

  1. #21
    Senior Member PJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    18,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snafu3721 View Post
    I've always felt that any of the Trilogy Greats would've done just as well fighting off a mob of that caliber. When you read the trilogy, it gives the impression that the Greats were able to utterly annihilate any opponent who wasn't at least at 70% of their level. Other than GJ in LOCH, the Greats could've killed any of the 2nd tier fighters in one hit. In ROCH, YG made fools out of the 2nd tier fighters even pre-16 years. And if ZWJ really wanted to, he could've probably palm clashed with an entire orthodox sect and QKDNY their internal energies back to them (ok.. the ZWJ example is a little exaggerated).
    About the Greats vs DGSD Elites, I get the impression that the Greats are highly skilled and knowledgeable in martial arts, but when it comes to Badass Display of Awesome Feats, they fall short of DGSD Masters. It seems to me that DGSD Masters have a heightened aura of confidence that lets them approach fights in ways that Trilogy Greats don't normally dare to. To give an analogy, the Greats are like academic professors, while the DGSD Masters are entrepreneurs. At least that's my impression.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

  2. #22
    Senior Member Snafu3721's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    About the Greats vs DGSD Elites, I get the impression that the Greats are highly skilled and knowledgeable in martial arts, but when it comes to Badass Display of Awesome Feats, they fall short of DGSD Masters. It seems to me that DGSD Masters have a heightened aura of confidence that lets them approach fights in ways that Trilogy Greats don't normally dare to. To give an analogy, the Greats are like academic professors, while the DGSD Masters are entrepreneurs. At least that's my impression.
    I can see what you're saying. Not sure if you've ever played many of the Final Fantasy series, but I've always drew the comparison that Condor Trilogy was like Final Fantasy IV, while DGSD was Final Fantasy VII.

    But I would like to tweak your analogy a bit. I think of trilogy Greats as RETIRED entrepreneurs who already built sucessful empires but later became academic professors. Whie DGSD are like younger entrpreneurs still fighting for market share and trying to develop new and aggressive ideas for their business. It's like Coca Cola vs Apple... nothing impressive nowadays about Coke even though we all know it's a powerhouse conglomerate. But Apple, lots of new gadgets on the cutting edge of technology.
    Last edited by Snafu3721; 03-05-10 at 12:05 AM.

  3. #23
    Senior Member PJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    18,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snafu3721 View Post
    But I would like to tweak your analogy a bit. I think of trilogy Greats as RETIRED entrepreneurs who already built sucessful empires but later became academic professors. Whie DGSD are like younger entrpreneurs still fighting for market share and trying to develop new and aggressive ideas for their business.
    If we were to go with this analogy, which is very valid, I'd like to offer the following contrast. Imagine the Greats and DGSD Masters both 20 years into their entrepreneurship careers. The Greats will have successfully launched dozens of startups of different nature and given birth to cutting-edge innovative business models, whereas the DGSD Masters will have made the biggest fortune sooner.

    During their tenure as entrepreneurs, the Greats would be characterized by innovation and intellectuality, whereas DGSD Masters would have characterized by performance and result. Both highly successful in the same profession, yet with different focus.

    The Greats' business won't be able to match DGSD Masters' in size, profit, or market share, but they will have created more interesting products and organizations.

    -- or something
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

  4. #24
    Senior Member Snafu3721's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    The Greats' business won't be able to match DGSD Masters' in size, profit, or market share, but they will have created more interesting products and organizations.

    -- or something
    So you're saying that DGSD is like Goldman Sach while Condor trilogy is like Microsoft?! j/k.
    Last edited by Snafu3721; 03-05-10 at 02:50 AM.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    3,580

    Default

    It's kind of like in SPW, where I feel the characters exhibit new and innovative techniques like Essence Absorbing, Dugu, etc. All those arts imo are more impressive and sophisticated than most techniques shown in the trilogy, which are more or less standard wuxia fare, but the characters in SPW just lack the sheer power exhibited by the trilogy greats.

  6. #26
    Senior Member Dirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    1,401

    Default

    2 of the DGSD master's business had shaky foundations and was rotting from the inside. Another is growing far too quickly for its foundations based on an incomplete/bad business model. Sooner or later (likely sooner), their businesses will crash and declare bankruptcy.

    DGSD masters for the lose.
    Last edited by Dirt; 03-05-10 at 06:23 PM.

  7. #27
    Senior Member CC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5,498

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    2 of the DGSD master's business had shaky foundations and was rotting from the inside. Another is growing far too quickly for its foundations based on an incomplete/bad business model. Sooner or later (likely sooner), their businesses will crash and declare bankruptcy.

    DGSD masters for the lose.
    But DGSD has a Business which due to incredible brand image, sells more even when the competitor has a lower price, or manages to sell for a higher price even when the competitor has a superior product. Even when the CEO did nothing except run around on a sabbatical with a chick, the sales and stock prices continued to climb.

    The armchair economists can't explain why.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

  8. #28
    Senior Member PJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    18,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    But DGSD has a Business which due to incredible brand image, sells more even when the competitor has a lower price, or manages to sell for a higher price even when the competitor has a superior product. Even when the CEO did nothing except run around on a sabbatical with a chick, the sales and stock prices continued to climb.
    I'm telling ya, the way those DGSD boys run their business, is almost superhuman. They shouldn't be able to pull it off so "easily", but they do. God loves them.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

  9. #29
    Senior Member Snafu3721's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    I'm telling ya, the way those DGSD boys run their business, is almost superhuman. They shouldn't be able to pull it off so "easily", but they do. God loves them.
    As I said before-- Goldman Sach

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    563

    Default

    Funny that we are talking business here, but really if real business is the talking point, ZWJ would beat XF to pulp. So, ZWJ for the win hands down.

  11. #31
    Senior Member CC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5,498

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shortsight View Post
    Funny that we are talking business here, but really if real business is the talking point, ZWJ would beat XF to pulp. So, ZWJ for the win hands down.
    I see it more like this. The Trilogy Greats are like speakers in a seminar who spend lots of time researching their technical details, note down their data sources, spend hours coming up with charts and graphs. Result, their seminars are very successful and they get to charge $50,000 per 1 hr talk.

    Xiao Feng is like the motivational speaker at a seminar, he does jack all for preparation. Just stomps on stage and yells 'WHO YOUR DADDY?!!?' for 30 mins and gets everyone all worked up. He charges $60,000 per half hour session and its still sold out.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

  12. #32
    Senior Member PJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    18,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    I see it more like this. The Trilogy Greats are like speakers in a seminar who spend lots of time researching their technical details, note down their data sources, spend hours coming up with charts and graphs. Result, their seminars are very successful and they get to charge $50,000 per 1 hr talk.

    Xiao Feng is like the motivational speaker at a seminar, he does jack all for preparation. Just stomps on stage and yells 'WHO YOUR DADDY?!!?' for 30 mins and gets everyone all worked up. He charges $60,000 per half hour session and its still sold out.
    Great analogy (except for the "who's your daddy" thing).
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

  13. #33
    Senior Member Dirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    1,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    But DGSD has a Business which due to incredible brand image, sells more even when the competitor has a lower price, or manages to sell for a higher price even when the competitor has a superior product. Even when the CEO did nothing except run around on a sabbatical with a chick, the sales and stock prices continued to climb.

    The armchair economists can't explain why.
    You make DGSD Masters sound like Bernie Maddoff.

    DGSD Masters for the BIG LOSE.
    Last edited by Dirt; 03-23-10 at 12:29 PM.

  14. #34
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    24,369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    You make DGSD Masters sound like Bernie Maddoff.
    Actually, I think Dook Goo Kau Bai is Madoff.

    All those sword theories were just a big Ponzi scheme.

  15. #35
    Senior Member PJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    18,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    You make DGSD Masters sound like Bernie Maddoff.
    More like Iron Man (per the movie).
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

  16. #36
    Senior Member Dirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    1,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    More like Iron Man (per the movie).
    Except Iron Man had a reliable power source. Xiao Yuanshan, Murong Bo and JMZ had power sources that were about to blow up on them.

  17. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Actually, I think Dook Goo Kau Bai is Madoff.

    All those sword theories were just a big Ponzi scheme.
    Well, at least there's YG, FQY and LHC to prove the treories are workable. The myth on the heaven sword and dragon saber is more like the Ponzi scheme, with everyone rushing for it without knowing the real secret.

  18. #38
    Senior Member chibidaisuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snafu3721 View Post
    I have re-read the Xuan Ju manor fight many times....

    And although incredibly awe-inspiring the fights were (especially in a carnal 300 kind of way)...

    I've always felt that any of the Trilogy Greats would've done just as well fighting off a mob of that caliber. When you read the trilogy, it gives the impression that the Greats were able to utterly annihilate any opponent who wasn't at least at 70% of their level. Other than GJ in LOCH, the Greats could've killed any of the 2nd tier fighters in one hit. In ROCH, YG made fools out of the 2nd tier fighters even pre-16 years. And if ZWJ really wanted to, he could've probably palm clashed with an entire orthodox sect and QKDNY their internal energies back to them (ok.. the ZWJ example is a little exaggerated).

    But the point is, I don't think XF is that much better than the Greats, if even at all. I just don't see how using the Xuan Ju manor fight is a good measuring stick of XF's prowess against ZWJ since XF only fought opponets who were basically 2nd tier (or lower) in DGSD.
    I think Xiao Feng should be at least a little better than the Greats. Like, can you picture Xiao Feng actually drawing or losing to the likes of Huang Yaoshi, Yideng etc?

  19. #39
    Senior Member chibidaisuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    That being said, no question, Xiao Feng would beat Zhang Wuji silly. You're talking about placing perhaps the best natural fighter with the best instincts against perhaps the worst natural fighter with the worst instincts.

    Hell, before he learned Taiqi, ZWJ didn't even think he could overcome Fan Yao!
    I second that. Hard to see how ZWJ would not crap his pants upon seeing an LDA straight towards his face and witnessing XF's awesome display of power.

  20. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    2,408

    Default

    Xiao Feng would win of course..

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 104
    Last Post: 02-06-23, 09:10 PM
  2. Zhang Wuji -vs- Xiao Feng [with a twist]
    By PJ in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 02-01-23, 04:33 AM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-17-11, 09:41 PM
  4. Replies: 79
    Last Post: 03-21-10, 08:44 PM
  5. More proof that Xiao Feng =~ Zhang Sanfeng
    By PJ in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 03-21-10, 08:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •