Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Lake House

Default The Lake House

I really really liked "The Lake House" and I just want to recommend this movie to everyone. I feel that it's not getting proper reviews and it would be too bad if people rely on the reviews and miss out on a really good romantic flick with amazing chemistry. If you go to this link and look at the ratings, you'll see that Rotten Tomatoes, which consists of professional reviews, the rating is pretty low but when you look at the Zip Member Rating and the IMDb User Rating, the normal people actually liked the movie. I feel the same way and believe that the ratings of the common people are accurate. I know that some of you will diss it just because it's a remake of a Korean movie, I know that some of you get mad and accuses Hollywood of stealing but I say screw that. I don't care if it's a remake or an original, the movie I saw was a joy to watch.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

can't wait 2 see sandra bullock n keanu reeves together again.
    Love them in speed 1
    here is the link to this movie
    http://thelakehousemovie.warnerbros.com/

Smile

After reading a bit of the storyline from the cinema webbie, i really wanna watch it! This is the first time i'm gonna watch a love story in cinema after such a long long time. Coz i usually go for horror, comedy & action types. Even when reading the plot, i felt so touched n almost cried. Gonna watch it next weekend!
    Alec Vicki, Raymond Michelle, Bosco Myolie

*Currently watching*
    Fantasy Hotel
    Life Made Simple
    Gentle Crackdown

It's good. But Il Mare is better. Jun Ji Hyun >>>> Sandra bullock

Default SPOILERS Comment

I found the storyline impossible to swallow. I mean come on! How could Sandra and Keanau fall in love so quickly? Is that the magic of movie making too? The reason she was so down in the first place is where an unknown man died from crossing the street, which we later find out is Keanau was the one that died.

How the heck was he there for her? They're living their lives 2 years apart. Was it just that simple writing letters and getting to know each other through letters? They just wrote letters and suddenly Keanu with his brother is talking about Sandra and how she is someone he loves.

Sure, I'm a romantic but seriously, I can not stop from being skeptic when theres so many illogical parts in this movie.

And do you notice how Sandra and Keanu have gotten older? The makeup they have on could not cover the wrinkles they're beginning to have.

I just find the storyline very weak, Sandra must be really bad at recognizing people's faces, I mean Keanu and Sandra met at that party and even kissed him! How could she not vaguely remember his face when she saw him die the first time in the street? Huh? How?

I thought the story would be slightly better if Keanu and Sandra started their relationship or story from the time they met at the party.

Movies before like Jumanji has made the storyline with TIME more believeable. If you have seen Jumanji with Robin Williams you'd understand what I'm trying to say here. Its just...how Keanu survived and lived in the end seem uneasy to accept.

Sure, I could just watch it and not question, its just theres so many holes in the story that I can't help it. Really!
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

i heard they took the story line off a korean series
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung
    I found the storyline impossible to swallow. I mean come on! How could Sandra and Keanau fall in love so quickly? Is that the magic of movie making too? The reason she was so down in the first place is where an unknown man died from crossing the street, which we later find out is Keanau was the one that died.

How the heck was he there for her? They're living their lives 2 years apart. Was it just that simple writing letters and getting to know each other through letters? They just wrote letters and suddenly Keanu with his brother is talking about Sandra and how she is someone he loves.

Sure, I'm a romantic but seriously, I can not stop from being skeptic when theres so many illogical parts in this movie.

And do you notice how Sandra and Keanu have gotten older? The makeup they have on could not cover the wrinkles they're beginning to have.

I just find the storyline very weak, Sandra must be really bad at recognizing people's faces, I mean Keanu and Sandra met at that party and even kissed him! How could she not vaguely remember his face when she saw him die the first time in the street? Huh? How?

I thought the story would be slightly better if Keanu and Sandra started their relationship or story from the time they met at the party.

Movies before like Jumanji has made the storyline with TIME more believeable. If you have seen Jumanji with Robin Williams you'd understand what I'm trying to say here. Its just...how Keanu survived and lived in the end seem uneasy to accept.

Sure, I could just watch it and not question, its just theres so many holes in the story that I can't help it. Really!
    hmmm how do i start this.... first i would just like to say that they were not from the future nor from the past.... to start with the story the dog was thier kind of communication.... (not the box) ok? keanu didnt know sandra before.... his time, he only knew her when they started to write letters to each other, keanu died on sanrda's hand simply because he was looking for her..... maybe the reason why sandra didnt pay attention much to him at the party it was simply because she wanted to leave her boyfriend, for her she thinks that they have seperate lives... she wants a lake house, he's always on the road to sell apartment... and the rest is history, i think the story is cool... it has a different twist in it....

about the make up? well we cant deny that they are really getting old.... it would be funny if keanu and sandra would still look the same when they had their first movie together... (speed) right?

Quote Originally Posted by Cr|sToPhE`
    hmmm how do i start this.... first i would just like to say that they were not from the future nor from the past.... to start with the story the dog was thier kind of communication.... (not the box) ok? keanu didnt know sandra before.... his time, he only knew her when they started to write letters to each other, keanu died on sanrda's hand simply because he was looking for her..... maybe the reason why sandra didnt pay attention much to him at the party it was simply because she wanted to leave her boyfriend, for her she thinks that they have seperate lives... she wants a lake house, he's always on the road to sell apartment... and the rest is history, i think the story is cool... it has a different twist in it....

about the make up? well we cant deny that they are really getting old.... it would be funny if keanu and sandra would still look the same when they had their first movie together... (speed) right?
    What? Not from the future or the Past? Are you sure about that? Sandra and Keanu in the movie that knew each other were living 2 years apart. To Sandra, Keanu is living in the Past. To Keanu, Sandra is living in the Future (of two years later from him).

The Dog was their form of communication? They wrote letters and put in the mailBOX, the dog Jackie and the Lake House was their common connection.

In case Sandra's character forgot she was a woman, women remember things, even small things like KISSING someone. I just find it illogical for her to think "he would've been someone I'd grow to love" when she was in that train or car.

As I recall, she didn't want a lake house, remember, Keanu met her current boyfriend when he had just moved into his house and the boyfriend seem interested in the lake house and said whenever Keanu wants to sell the lake house, to contact the boyfriend or something to that extent.

I'm just noticing how old they're getting, I'm not expecting them to keep their youthful appearance forever.

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Are you 12 or something? People over 30 can still fall in love you know?

So what if they don't look as young as when they were in their 30s? Is that such a sin? But when the stars do plastic surgery, then we say oh look at that fake blah blah blah. When I'll be 40, I'll sure hope I'd look as good as Bullock and Reeves are looking now.
    Last edited by Canuck21; 07-24-06 at 04:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Khan
    It's good. But Il Mare is better. Jun Ji Hyun >>>> Sandra bullock
    I'm really glad I saw "Il Mare" too so that now I can judge the two movies myself and I found "Il Mare" extremely boring, especially Jun Ji Hyun. Her crying at the end was quite ineffective IMO. I didn't felt a thing, it was like if she lost her goldfish. I like the Korean actor though, but still less than Keanu Reeves.

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR
    i heard they took the story line off a korean series
    It's a remake of "Il Mare".

Yeah, sort of pointless to watch if you've watched the original korean version as you know what the climax is already, and the climax is pretty important in this movie. It's like knowing Bruce Willis was dead in "The Sixth Sense".

*edit* Apologies to those who have not watched "The Sixth Sense" before.
    Last edited by KeongJai; 07-24-06 at 04:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck21
    Are you 12 or something? People over 30 can still fall in love you know?

So what if they don't look as young as when they were in their 30s? Is that such a sin? But when the stars do plastic surgery, then we say oh look at that fake blah blah blah. When I'll be 40, I'll sure hope I'd look as good as Bullock and Reeves are looking now.
    Like I said before in my second post, I was just noticing how they've aged a lot since I haven't seen them in a while and no, I don't expect them to remain young forever. Its just "Wow, They look older". Just amazed how they've aged. No where in my posts did I say they can't fall in love because of their age.

Only I find the way they fell in love with each other to be unbelieveable.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 07-24-06 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KeongJai
    Yeah, sort of pointless to watch if you've watched the original korean version as you know what the climax is already, and the climax is pretty important in this movie. It's like knowing Bruce Willis was dead in "The Sixth Sense".

*edit* Apologies to those who have not watched "The Sixth Sense" before.
    I don't agree. "Il Mare" and "The Lake House" are not about the twist but about the relationship the two characters had with each other and the relationships were a bit different on each version. The relationship was what I really liked about the "The Lake House". I also like how Alex made a parallel of the house with his father's personality and I particularly liked the little architectural design references. Maybe I missed something on "Il Mare" but there were no design discussions or anything like that. Maybe the subtitle was not complete? Anyway, it's the little things in "The Lake House" that I love about the movie. Of course if you don't care about architecture and design and don't believe the relationship is plausible, then there's only the plot twist left, but to me, the movie is not about that.
    Last edited by Canuck21; 08-08-06 at 02:02 AM.

Like I said before in my second post, I was just noticing how they've aged a lot since I haven't seen them in a while and no, I don't expect them to remain young forever. Its just "Wow, They look older". Just amazed how they've aged. No where in my posts did I say they can't fall in love because of their age.

Only I find the way they fell in love with each other to be unbelieveable.
    It has been 12 long years between "Speed" and "The Lake House" so I really don't expect them to still look young. Still, I think they both look amazing for their age.

Is it just me or Asian actors don't look as good in their 40s? 40+ Asian actresses basically are limited to mothers roles. Andy Lau is 45 now but I found him so old looking even 10 years ago. I mean Asian actors look their age while Hollywood actors look younger than their age. On the other hand, I find that we the common Asian people look younger then Westerners. It's a reverse situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck21
    I don't agree. "Il Mare" and "The Lake House" are not about the twist but about the relationship the two characters had with each other and the relationships were a bit different on each version.
    I know what you're saying here but I think you'd enjoy the film EVEN MORE if you didn't know what the plot twist was. There's parts in the movie that make you wonder how come this happened or why didn't that happen, but if you already know the ending then you won't be wondering those questions. Also, the last 5th of the movie practically builds up to the plot twist doesn't it? (I can't remember that well as I saw the Korean version ages ago).

It's sort of like watching a soccer match. If you know the final score before you even watch the game, it sort of devalues the enjoyment of watching the game. Sure you'd enjoy watching the 30 yard strike hit the back of the net or get angry watching a player from your team get sent off. However, if I knew the final score at the start of the match, I wouldn't really enjoy watching the game anymore. Unless I put some big bets down ;P

Quote Originally Posted by KeongJai
    I know what you're saying here but I think you'd enjoy the film EVEN MORE if you didn't know what the plot twist was. There's parts in the movie that make you wonder how come this happened or why didn't that happen, but if you already know the ending then you won't be wondering those questions. Also, the last 5th of the movie practically builds up to the plot twist doesn't it? (I can't remember that well as I saw the Korean version ages ago).

It's sort of like watching a soccer match. If you know the final score before you even watch the game, it sort of devalues the enjoyment of watching the game. Sure you'd enjoy watching the 30 yard strike hit the back of the net or get angry watching a player from your team get sent off. However, if I knew the final score at the start of the match, I wouldn't really enjoy watching the game anymore. Unless I put some big bets down ;P
    I understand what you mean, of course you'll enjoy it more if you knew nothing about it. I don't know if you saw the "The Lake House" but in this version, many guessed Reeves' characters quite early in the movie. Myself I guessed it but my interest was still high because I wanted to know how the two will/was living their situation. This is one of those movies where I could rewatch many many times because there's more to it then the twist. I can't wait to buy this movie on HD DVD.
    Last edited by Canuck21; 07-24-06 at 09:58 PM.

I just saw "the lake house" a couple of weeks ago, and I also saw the Korean version of this movie about a year ago. Il mare has a gloomy side to it and it was confusing for me the first time around even though I read the storyline beforehand. The Lake House is on the lighter side and it is easier to follow as you will see. People say Il Mare has more of the artistic values and in a way they are right but I find the Lake House suits me better. Maybe because it was not as gloomy as Il Mare and the cast was better in terms of chemistry (it doesn't hurt that they looked better too .. Sandra is in her late 30s or early 40s and she can look that good then bless her.

i loved this film, and i haven't seen il mare before so maybe thats a good thing.

but i did read a bit on the story line before i went in and i could guessed the man tat died was Keanu at the very first glance. i don't know why i thought it but i did. maybe cos i've seen to many films tat u get used to it.

also the fact taht they never showed the face kind of gave it away.

its the best romantic film to cum out in a long long time.
    Currently in love with Bae Suzy...for superficial reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda
    i loved this film, and i haven't seen il mare before so maybe thats a good thing.

but i did read a bit on the story line before i went in and i could guessed the man tat died was Keanu at the very first glance. i don't know why i thought it but i did. maybe cos i've seen to many films tat u get used to it.

also the fact taht they never showed the face kind of gave it away.

its the best romantic film to cum out in a long long time.
    Please don't spoil it for others and put a disclaimer. Anyway, yes I too think that it's the best romantic movie in a while.
    Last edited by Canuck21; 08-06-06 at 11:17 AM.