Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Did Jin Yong end up with the final story that he envisioned when he started?

Quote Originally Posted by Laviathan
    Not quite true. Please get your facts right: Jin Yong intended ROCH to have an open ending, with the dissapearance of Dragon Girl, and Yang Guo deciding to wait for her. The later chapters (post-16 years separation) were added after fans became unhappy.
    Not only that, but didn't JY originally plan to make YG end up with GF, but fans felt pity for XLN, who got raped by the taoist, so JY altered it (this is probably why JY made YG compared his Gugu with other girls all the time, to build his love on XLN overtime) and made YG finally decided to go with XLN, and thus the 16 years of separation with open ending, however, the fans were still unhappy, thus the addition of the post 16 years chapters.
    - WuxiaSociety.org (formerly known as wuxiamania forum) -

----- the society of global wuxia fans ----

I was kind of hoping for a tragic story with a happy ending, that's what I got, so I'm happy!
    Although I really never thought about who would replace Xiao Long Nu if she'd never came back. It's most likely Cheng Ying (but that's just me).
    Even if Jin Yong didn't excactly have EVERYTHING planned out it still made one of the best novels ever (out of the majority of the population), and it's one of my favorites.
    有缘千里来相会
    无缘对面手难牵

Quote Originally Posted by Da Bao
    I was kind of hoping for a tragic story with a happy ending, that's what I got, so I'm happy!
    It's kind of hard to have a tragic story with a happy ending.

It's a little bit like asking for hot ice cream.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    It's kind of hard to have a tragic story with a happy ending.

It's a little bit like asking for hot ice cream.
    Deep fried ice cream anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by dgfds01
    Deep fried ice cream anyone?
    The ice cream inside is still cold.
    Anyway, yes pls
    You do know that it is just fiction, dont you?

Default ROCH Remix

Quote Originally Posted by Temujin
    Not only that, but didn't JY originally plan to make YG end up with GF, but fans felt pity for XLN, who got raped by the taoist, so JY altered it (this is probably why JY made YG compared his Gugu with other girls all the time, to build his love on XLN overtime) and made YG finally decided to go with XLN, and thus the 16 years of separation with open ending, however, the fans were still unhappy, thus the addition of the post 16 years chapters.
    If this is true, it would explain why the ending is the way it is - i.e. horribly rushed. Jin Yong published ROCH while Ming Pao was just a startup newspaper, so it probably made sense to tinker with the artistic vision so as to maximise sales. (One is reminded of the plot of the Stephen King story 'Misery', in which a crazed fan kidnaps and tortures a novelist because of her unhappiness about how he's written her favourite character. Now *that's* feedback.)

Composition-by-committee obviously has its long-run downside. If JY had had the b*lls to make it more obvious that YG was never supposed to be a conventional 'xia' in the first place - which would probably not have gone down well in the short-run among newspaper readers looking for Guo Jing Part 2 - then, half a century later, otherwise intelligent & funny forum posters might not feel the need to behave like boring, over-serious anti-YG-nazis.

One of these days, I'll get off my butt and re-write ROCH. I'll write it the way it was meant to be written. I'll make Guo Xiang the main character, and make most of the narrative occur in her imagination. I'll make the plot be about GX's gradual reconstruction of the life of the Condor Hero - the dirty, untouchable taboo of her family - including the gradual realisation of how closely her life is intertwined with that of YG, and how someone she initially idolised as a 'xia' is slowly revealed to be a sociopath. I'll make the ending unspeakably violent, ironic, and tragic: how about YG killing GX - with a 100-metre LDA (beat that, Sweeper Monk!) - as his final act of revenge against the Guos? I will then win the Nobel Prize for Literature and make so much money from dodgy TVB adaptations that I'll still have mountains of cash even after JY sues my sorry *ss for IP infringement.

Quote Originally Posted by owbjhx
    which would probably not have gone down well in the short-run among newspaper readers looking for Guo Jing Part 2 - then, half a century later, otherwise intelligent & funny forum posters might not feel the need to behave like boring, over-serious anti-YG-nazis.
    *goose steps*

May I suggest to Mr poster with a silly handle that severely lacks some vowels that if you ever write such thing, please make Guo Xiang end up with XLN and Yang Guo with Monge Khan and in the end YG sacrificed himself and his lover for millions of lives on both sides? That'd be a winner!
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Candide
    May I suggest to Mr poster with a silly handle that severely lacks some vowels that if you ever write such thing, please make Guo Xiang end up with XLN and Yang Guo with Monge Khan and in the end YG sacrificed himself and his lover for millions of lives on both sides? That'd be a winner!
    You want a real mindbender? How about a version of ROCH where Granny Sheun survives and she and Yeung Gor become a couple!

Did I just hear Mr Wuxiapedia of all people call my name "silly" for having only one vowel?

But yeah, ROCH 4th Edition will have same-sex relationships aplenty. Teacher/student affairs aren't enough to shock today's readers, depraved lot of sinners that you are. I'll just make everyone a girl, from Guo Jing downwards.

first, my apology for my short memory as i am nearing and nearing to the graveyard. i definitely read something from this forum that jy "loves" xz the most and wants her to end up with zwj but somehow can't. am i dreaming again?

Did I just hear Mr Wuxiapedia of all people call my name "silly" for having only one vowel?

But yeah, ROCH 4th Edition will have same-sex relationships aplenty. Teacher/student affairs aren't enough to shock today's readers, depraved lot of sinners that you are. I'll just make everyone a girl, from Guo Jing downwards.
    Ever meet a poster here at SPCNET named "Son of Light?"

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej
    first, my apology for my short memory as i am nearing and nearing to the graveyard.
    What do u mean? Nearing graveyard? Are u sick? You are certainly not old.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

first, my apology for my short memory as i am nearing and nearing to the graveyard. i definitely read something from this forum that jy "loves" xz the most and wants her to end up with zwj but somehow can't. am i dreaming again?
    Yes. It was written at the back of the HSDS novel.

i definitely read something from this forum that jy "loves" xz the most and wants her to end up with zwj but somehow can't. am i dreaming again?
    You're not dreaming. From the afterword of HSDS 2nd Edition, Jin Yong writes (rough translation):

"In my own mind, I love Xiaozhao the most; it's a shame that I wasn't able to let her and Zhang Wuji be together. Sometimes, I get a little despondent thinking about it."

ZWJ consistently treated XZ like a little kid sister, which makes the sloppy kiss they exchanged upon parting all the more disturbing.

Ever meet a poster here at SPCNET named "Son of Light?"
    That was before my time. Care to point to an indicative thread, mein fuhrer?

You want a real mindbender? How about a version of ROCH where Granny Sheun survives and she and Yeung Gor become a couple!
    Gotta think with a business mind, honey. Sex sells, unless it's granny sex.

Excuse me! It's Ms, thank you very much, Mr Chauvinist.

Too many girls will ruin it. As much of a disturbing lot as men are, there should be some men in just for the sake of gender equality. In fact, to make it sell well, I hope Jin Yong rename Mt Zhongnan to Mt Khaladmidiravara which is Sanskrit (because everyone loves mysterious Indian names - it makes them feel philosophical) for Brokeback.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

That was before my time. Care to point to an indicative thread, mein fuhrer?
    Son of Light stopped posting a long time ago, but his account here is still active. You can find him in the members list and read a random selection of his posts. You'll get the idea after three or four posts.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    What do u mean? Nearing graveyard? Are u sick? You are certainly not old.
    older by 1 day now. nearer and nearer.
    i just hope jy make this change to hsds [for xz and zwj together, sorry i go again] before he or i go, just like he made to dy and mu wanqing. only one change - i am not too greedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Temujin

Are you serious? wow...
    路漫漫,长伴......

C'mon get ready......the future is now, the past is gone forever.....

Question How much planning did Jin Yong do before writing his novels?

He wrote so much so fast. I'm wondering if he outlined everything that was going to happen before he started writing, or if he just wrote as he went along.

Also, did he write several installments first and then publish them, or did he write one installment, publish it, and then write another?