Thread: Japanese and Korean martial arts in Chinese wulin

Default Japanese and Korean martial arts in Chinese wulin

I'm not familiar with Japanese and Korean wuxia stories, although I've heard or read somewhere that the latter, at least, exists. In Japanese samurai films, the samurai are shown to be very skillful with their swords, but not in the same way that Chinese wuxia characters (whose abilities are almost supernatural) are. Certainly, I am yet to see a Japanese samurai film whose characters are capable of manipulating inner power like the characters of Jin Yong or Gu Long's stories.

So how well would a Japanese samurai or Korean warrior do in the wulin of Jin Yong or Gu Long? Could their skills enable them to survive among the Chinese wulin warriors?

I think the Japanese and Korean's knowledge isn't as high as the Mainland China. From my knowledge, Koreans in the old days were skilled at arching skills(well, at least back in the time of Korgoryo against the Tang Dyansty). Japanese are mainly samurais.
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出“一阳指”功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚
    此时一灯大师的“一阳指”功夫实已到了登峰造极、炉火纯青的地步,指上发出的那股罡气似是温淳平和,但沛然浑厚,无可与抗

and ninjas too
    TaZzY InC

Shhhhh.. neenjas do not exist.

Default China vs Korea

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    So how well would a...Korean warrior do in the wulin of Jin Yong or Gu Long?
    Not very well, if HSDS is anything to go by. In Chapter 9, Zhang Cuishan met one Quan Jiannan, head of the Qinglong School of Korea, who was visiting China under the auspices of the southern Sanjiang Gang and must surely have been the most far-flung of Xie Xun's many enemies. In the fight that ensued, Quan - who wielded a pair of snake-tipped judicial pens as weapons - got so comprehensively humiliated by ZCS (who let loose with his silly 'Heaven-Willing, Dragon-Killing' calligraphic acupointing art) that he felt he wasn't even good enough to be ZCS's disciple.

The obligatory pre-fight trash talk was illuminating. Wudang was of some renown in Korea, and Qinglong was known to Zhang Sanfeng. I suspect Jin Yong included the incident to add some topical spice to HSDS, as the political upheaval in nearby Korea would've been in the news while HSDS was being published - Quan brazenly flouts the jianghu code of honour, justifying himself by pointing to historical Chinese aggression against his country. There's a hint of proud Chinese triumphalism in ZCS's almost nonchalant victory.

I'm totally ignorant about actual Korean wuxia, but based on modern taekwondo, I'd guess that the heroes might be kickers rather than punchers or acupointers. I'd also guess that the Chinese are portrayed rather like the Jins or Mongolians or Persians in JY's works (i.e. arrogant imperialist scum, with evil martial arts and/or massive rapacious armies, who ultimately get their unsightly foreign butts kicked by patriotic, good-hearted Korean heroes & beautiful, clever Korean heroines).

Gundam-Freedom
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by The Khan
    Shhhhh.. neenjas do not exist.
    Fictions not real!!! exist or not doesnn't really matter IMO

In the Blood Sword there are several powerful Japanese fighters. Hero had trouble beating that blind samurai who merely used his sword. Then there was a ninja sect and even later another Japanese fighter appeared to interfere in his son's story arc.

On Wind & Cloud the whole of wulin is taken over by a Japanese clan and they knew inner power techniques, easily subduing some of china's best.
    TristeCoeur on Lady Yang: Someone needs 2 tell her that when u want 2 save people from being killed, u need to hurry the hell up, not play bull#### music & dance around. Her mission failed big time

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

In Gu Long's Tale of the Rinsing Sword and Flowers (written in 1964), there was an invincible warrior from Japan.

We learn a bit more about this mysterious warrior's background as the story progresses. His name is never revealed, he was simply known as the warrior in white or the white-robed man.
    Although his father was Chinese, he grew up in Japan. We don't know if his mother was Japanese or Chinese. The father of the warrior in white was a very intelligent man, a Jack of all trades, master of none. He learnt many different things in his life, including martial arts. But he never reached the highest level in any of those things, he wanted to become a renowned martial arts expert. But was constantly defeated by the true masters of martial arts. In the end he felt depressed and angry and took his baby son and left for Japan.
    He wanted his son to become the master of martial arts he couldn't be. As soon as his son could walk he taught him the ways of the sword. He bathed the young son in herbal medicinal baths to strenghten his bones and tendons.
    Although this man wasn't a very good martial artist himself, he proved to be an excellent teacher. At the age of 11, 12 the warrior in white was already equal to the first rate martial artists of Japan. Although Japanese warriors often duelled to the death, they felt there was no honour in killing a mere boy. So the young warrior in white learnt from his defeats and his experience in combat grew.
    At the age of 18, 19 he was one of the elites of the Japanese Wulin and was said to be even invincibile in Japan. His martial arts was the accumulation of the essences of both the great Chinese martial arts schools and Japanese martial arts schools.
    The three leading Wulin elders of Japan had fought him several times in these years and every time their respect for the warrior in white grew. According to them, the warrior in white's martial arts were magnificent.
    Around this time his father had passed away, but he seemed to be unmoved by it. He continued his training, not only was his body seemingly made of steel it would seem that his heart was of steel too.
    At the age of twenty he knew that he was undefeated in Japan and knew that if he stayed here his martial arts would never progress any further. So, he left for a desolate isle near Japan. On that isle there were numerous small white and black stones, resembling go pieces. So, the local people called that the Isle of Go. He lived on that desolate and harsh isle for ten years, he spent his time contemplating and studying go. It seemed that he lost interest in martial arts.
    But when he left the isle and returned to Japan, his martial arts were raised several levels higher. According to the three leading Japanese elders, before he left for the isle, his martial arts level was still comprehensible but now it was deep and seemingly boundless.
    He challenged one of the elders to a duel. Both of them just stood there neither of them moved. They stood there for 14 hours, untill the Japanese elder couldn't stand it anymore and passed out he succumbed to the awesome power of the warrior in white. The willpower, martial arts and the sword of the warrior in white became one entity, one great awesome, omnipotent power.
    He felt confident now to go to China to do what his father couldn't.
    He killed several of the top leading martial arts experts of China with one slash between the eyebrows. He shocked the entire realm.
    The top ten elite martial arts experts gathered at the Linking Cloud Manor to challenge him. One by one, those experts died. One stance was enough. When someone threatened him by saying:"There are hundreds of us, if all of us attacked at once. You wouldn't be able to withstand such an assault."
    The warrior in white was unfazed and coldly responded:"Warriors should die in battle, if I was killed by the sword or sabre I am merely fulfilling my destiny." Everyone felt ashamed.
    The number one martial artist in China, the Purple Marquis learnt of the warrior in white and issued a challenge. The Purple Marquis uses his sword to pierce/seal seven acupoints of a man in one stance and told people to bring that man to the warrrior in white. Upon seeing that man and those sword "wounds" the warrior in white realised that he had found a true adversary.
    So, he asked where the Purple Marquis was and could not be bothered by the remaining suriving four of the ten top martial arts experts.
    His words were:"The way of the martial arts is like climbing a mountain, now that I have found the highest peak. The lesser mounts are of no importance."
    And he left for the beach of the Eastern Sea.
    The Purple Marquis and the warrior in white duelled on sea, both were on two small rafts. After an intense battle, the Purple Marquis won by half a stance. However, the omnipotent internal energy of the warrior in white had mortally injured the Purple Marquis. The warrior in white being a true master admitted defeat to the Purple Marquis and said he would return seven years later for a rematch. The Purple Marquis died the following night.
    The Japanese Wulin was shocked to hear that the warrior in white had lost and feared that the defeat would have driven him insane. No one in Japan is his match, and if he would go mad that would mean doom for everyone. So the three elders of Japanese Wulin assembled a group of top martial arts experts to contain/kill him if necessary. All means would be allowed, although they commented that such an action would be honourless, but the warrior in white was a product of the Japanese Wulin so they have a responsibility to stop him.
    However, the warrior in white didn't go mad. Before his journey to China he was cold man that never smiled. But now, he was friendly and even started a small busniness on the market. And whenever someone would ask about the rematch seven years later, he would just smile and shake his head.
    Everyone thought he had forsaken the path of the warrior untill one year of the rematch. He had disappeared.
    And suddenly the Wulin of China received a letter from him:

My respects to whom this may concern,

The death of the Purple Marquis has greatly saddened me. With his death, I am lonelier than before. I know now that victory does not come easy, but finding defeat is even more difficult.
    But the match that was set seven years ago will still continue, next year I will be on the beaches of the Eastern Sea again. I sincerely hope that someone with a sword will be able to grant me a defeat.

The white-robed man of the Eastern Sea.

In this novel, the Japanese Wulin are not portrayed as a bunch of arrogant warriors like we often see in those old wuxia tv series. The warrior in white has been sometimes called the Dugu Qiubai of Gu Long's universe.
    Last edited by Athena; 08-03-06 at 12:33 PM.
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

Quote Originally Posted by Athena
    In Gu Long's Tale of the Rinsing Sword and Flowers (written in 1964), there is an invincible warrior from Japan.

We learn a bit more about this mysterious warrior's background as the story progresses. His name is never revealed, he is simply known as the warrior in white or the white-robed man.
    Although his father was Chinese, he grew up in Japan. We don't know if his mother was Japanese or Chinese. The father of the warrior in white was a very intelligent a Jack of all trades, master of none. He learnt many different things in his life, including martial arts. But because he never reached the highest level in any of those things, he wanted to become a renowned martial arts expert. But was constantly defeated by the true masters of martial arts. In the end he felt depressed and angry and took his baby son and left for Japan.
    He wanted his son to become the master of martial arts he couldn't be. As soon as his son could walk he taught him the ways of the sword. He bathed the young son in herbal medicinal baths to strenghten his bones and tendons.
    Although this man wasn't a very good martial artist himself, he proved to be an excellent teacher. At the age of 11, 12 the warrior in white was already equal to the first rate martial artists of Japan. Although Japanese warriors often duelled to the death, they felt there was no honour in killing a mere boy. So the young warrior in white learnt from his defeats and his experience in combat grew.
    At the age of 18, 19 he was one of the elites of the Japanese Wulin and was said to be even invincibile in Japan. His martial arts was the accumulation of the essences of both the great Chinese martial arts schools and Japanese martial arts schools.
    The three leading Wulin elders of Japan had fought him several times in these years and every time their respect for the warrior in white grew. According to them, the warrior in white's martial arts were magnificent.
    Around this time his father had passed away, but he seemed to be unmoved by it. He continued his training, not only was his body made of steel it would seem that his heart was of steel too.
    At the age of twenty he knew that he was undefeated in Japan and knew that if he stayed here his martial arts would never progress any further. So, he left for a desolate isle near Japan. On that isle there were numerous small white and black stones, resembling go pieces. So, the local people called that the Isle of Go. He lived on that desolate and harsh isle for ten years, he spent his time contemplating and studying go. It seemed that he lost interest in martial arts.
    But when he left the isle and returned to Japan, his martial arts level was raised several times higher. According to the three leading Japanese elders, before he left for the isle, his martial arts level was still comprehensible but now it was deep and seemingly boundless.
    He challenged one of the elders to a duel. Both of them just stood there neither of them moved. They stood there for 14 hours, untill the Japanese elder couldn't stand it anymore and passed out he succumbed to the awesome power of the warrior in white. The willpower, martial arts the sword of the warrior in white became one entity, one great awesome power.
    He killed the top leading martial arts experts of China with one slash between the eyebrows. He shocked the entire realm.
    The top ten elite martial arts experts gathered at the Linking Cloud Manor to challenge him. One by one, those experts died. One stance was enough. When someone threatened by him by saying:"There are hundreds of us, if all of us attacked at once. You wouldn't be able to withstand such an assault."
    The warrior in white was unfazed and coldly responded:"Warriors should die in battle, if I was killed by the sword or sabre I am merely fulfilling my destiny." Everyone felt ashamed.
    The number one martial artist in China, the Purple Marquis learnt of the warrior in white and issued a challenge. The Purple Marquis uses his sword to pierce/seal seven acupoints of a man in one stance and told people to bring that man to the warrrior in white. Upon seeing that man and those sword "wounds" the warrior in white realised that he had found a true adversary.
    So, he asked where the Purple Marquis was and could not be bothered by the remaining suriving four of the ten top martial arts experts.
    His words were:"The way of the martial arts is like climbing a mountain, now that I have found the highest peak. The lesser mounts are of no importance."
    The Purple Marquis and the warrior in white duelled on sea, both were on two small rafts. After an intense battle, the Purple Marquis won by half a stance. However, the omnipotent internal energy of the warrior in white had mortally injured the Purple Marquis. The warrior in white being a true master admitted defeat to the Purple Marquis and said he would return seven years later for a rematch. The Purple Marquis died the following night.
    The Japanese Wulin was shocked to hear that the warrior in white had lost and feared that the lost would have driven him insane. No one in Japan is his match, and if he would go mad that would mean doom for everyone. So the three elders of Japanese Wulin assembled a group of top martial arts experts to contain/kill him if necessary. All means would be allowed, although they commented that such an action would be honourless, but the warrior in white was a product of the Japanese Wulin so they have a responsibility to stop him.
    However, the warrior in white didn't go mad. Before his journey to China he was cold man that never smiled. But now, he was friendly and even started a small busniness on the market. And whenever someone would ask about the rematch seven years later, he would just smile and shake his head.
    Everyone thought he had forsaken the path of the warrior untill one year of the rematch. He had disappeared.

The death of the Purple Marquis has greatly saddened me. With his death, I am lonelier than before. I know now that victory does not come easy, but defeat is even more difficult.
    But the match that was set seven years ago will still continue, next year I will be on the beaches of the Eastern Sea again. I sincerely hope that someone with a sword will be able to grant me a defeat.

In this novel, the Japanese Wulin are not portrayed as a bunch of arrogant warriors like we often see in those old wuxia tv series. The warrior in white has been sometimes called the Dugu Qiubai of Gu Long's universe.
    Holy crap this sounds like an awesome novel? Any chance that Athena or somebody else will take the time to summarize the rest of the book? Thanks so much in advance.

Has there been a TV adaptation of this novel?

a taste of the first chapter has been partly translated at wuxiamania

http://www.phorumz.com/wuxiamania-about269.html

unfortunately the translator disappeared without a trace

there were two adaptations made from this novel. One Sword 1979 starring Feng Baobao and Spirit of the Sword 1980 starring Leslie Cheung

a Shaw Brother's movie called Spirit of the Sword 1982 was also based on this novel
    Last edited by chickenfeet; 08-02-06 at 06:51 PM.

I'm interested in hearing what happened next if there's more. Thanks for sharing, Athena. I was never more interested in Gu Long's novels than now.

Is this Purple Marquis one of the few to have learned Mingyugong the Absorbing Technique?
    Yo momma cat

Personally, I only liked the references to the warrior in white. I found the other parts quite tedious, I liked the protagonist (Fang Baoyu) of the novel when he was young.
    When he was young he was called Fang Bao'er (I call him Bowie Fang). But when he grew up, I lost interest in him and his story.
    I really enjoyed the parts about the warrior in white. I think I've summarized the entire background of that warrior in white. He is Gu Long's Dugu Qiubai.
    In in all, the novel is still a decent read.

To Wayne: I believe that the Purple Marquis is indeed one of the six people who mastered Mingyu Gong. Although no references were made in the Tale of the Rinsing Sword and Flowers. The reference was made in the older editions of the Legendary Siblings.
    Princess Lianxing said that the skipper of the five or seven coloured ship* was one of the masters who reached the highest level in Mingyu Gong. And the Purple Marquis was the owner of the five coloured ship.

*Depends on which earlier edition of the Legendary Siblings. Some editions have five, some seven.
    Last edited by Athena; 08-03-06 at 05:02 AM.
    And all we need of hell.

So Fang Bowie will be the new challenger to the white robed swordsman?

Where did Fang Bowie get his skills from, is he the Purple Marquis student?

From Tiger Wong's Ranking List I remembered that Purple Marquis was somewhere in the 20's or 30's and that Princess Yao Yue (from twin siblings) was ranked in the early teens along with Yan Nan Tian. How could there be such a disparity between the Princess and the Puple Marquis if they both mastered Ming Yue Gong, widely considered to be one of the two best internal (along with the Bridal Gown internal technique) in the Gu Long universe?

To Bobby:

Yes Bowie Fang will become the challenger of the white-robed swordsman. Bowie was the disciple of Zhou Fang. Zhou Fang was the elder martial arts brother of the Purple Marquis.
    The Purple Marquis and Zhou Fang were very close to each other, but the Purple Marquis always wanted to have good duel between his martial arts brother to see whether Zhou was really seemingly more talented than himself. Zhou Fang always declined, but one time he had no choice but to accept the challenge of the Purple Marquis. Because he didn't want to injure the Purple Marquis he didn't use his internal energy and won. But the Purple Marquis was young, competitive and rash at that time and used his internal energy to attack and injured Zhou Fang.
    Zhou was afraid that if he showed signs of injure the Purple Marquis will feel bad and pretended that he was fine and took leave. On his way home Zhou Fang was ambushed by his archenemy with poison, Zhou Fang was seriously injured by the Purple Marquis and could only use 20, 30% of his original martial arts. Although he was able to repel his enemy but after that fight he was even more injured than before. Although Zhou Fang was able to purge the poison out of his body, but he had practically lost all his martial arts.
    The Purple Marquis felt very guilty about this and vowed never to set foot in China again and let alone duel with anyone on the land. Hence he took a ship and sailed the seas. Before his death he instructed Bowie to find Zhou Fang, although Zhou Fang had lost his martial arts he was still a very knowledgeable teacher.

About the ranking, I am not sure why Tigerwong ranked them that way. Maybe at that time Tigerwong did not know that the Purple Marquis had mastered Mingyu Gong. Which isn't strange. Because all the recent editions of the Legendary Siblings have left that part out. It would seem that after the death of Gu Long, certain publishers took the liberty to change or cut out some redundant scenes (in their eyes). All the Internet copies of the Legendary Siblings don't have that particular paragraph on the previous practitioners of Mingyu Gong. The leading publishers of Gu Long's novels now are Cosmos Books in HK and Fengyun Publishings in TW, both their editions have left out that paragraph.
    And all we need of hell.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbywu
    So Fang Bowie will be the new challenger to the white robed swordsman?

Where did Fang Bowie get his skills from, is he the Purple Marquis student?

From Tiger Wong's Ranking List I remembered that Purple Marquis was somewhere in the 20's or 30's and that Princess Yao Yue (from twin siblings) was ranked in the early teens along with Yan Nan Tian. How could there be such a disparity between the Princess and the Puple Marquis if they both mastered Ming Yue Gong, widely considered to be one of the two best internal (along with the Bridal Gown internal technique) in the Gu Long universe?
    I do realize that some editions of "Legendary Siblings" contain the paragraph naming the Purple Marquis as one of MingYu Gong's practitioners. But as that paragraph does not consistently appear in many editions (especially any of the ones found online as Athena noted), I did not regard it as canon in my considerations. Or at least, I view it as an interesting blurb but it doesn't carry as much weight as how impressive the characters were actually represented in their novels.

Besides, the persons named (which includes Purple Marquis) were ones who have mastered Level 8 of MingYu Gong. Princess YaoYue mastered Level 9. So you still have a disparity.

And finally, as I've explained before, the shear amount of powerful characters in GL's 70+ novels will guarantee a large spacing between names if you list them in a linear/sequential fashion. But that doesn't necessary mean that the margin of difference is that huge. Heck, I even left a lot out. If I wanted to be complete, I would never hear the end of some favorite characters being ranked below #50.

hmmm, karate is one of the worst chinese martial arts passed down to japan dujring the Tang Dynasty, that's why is also called "Tang Shou Do".

Tae Kwan Do is about the same

i remember in HSDS when Zhang Cui San encounter the korean guy Chun Jian Nan after he left the Ice Fire Island, but that korean guy got owned pretty quickly

Quote Originally Posted by Athena
    In Gu Long's Tale of the Rinsing Sword and Flowers (written in 1964), there was an invincible warrior from Japan.

We learn a bit more about this mysterious warrior's background as the story progresses. His name is never revealed, he was simply known as the warrior in white or the white-robed man.
    Although his father was Chinese, he grew up in Japan. We don't know if his mother was Japanese or Chinese. The father of the warrior in white was a very intelligent man, a Jack of all trades, master of none. He learnt many different things in his life, including martial arts. But he never reached the highest level in any of those things, he wanted to become a renowned martial arts expert. But was constantly defeated by the true masters of martial arts. In the end he felt depressed and angry and took his baby son and left for Japan.
    Around this time his father had passed away, but he seemed to be unmoved by it. He continued his training, not only was his body seemingly made of steel it would seem that his heart was of steel too.
    But when he left the isle and returned to Japan, his martial arts were raised several levels higher. According to the three leading Japanese elders, before he left for the isle, his martial arts level was still comprehensible but now it was deep and seemingly boundless.
    He challenged one of the elders to a duel. Both of them just stood there neither of them moved. They stood there for 14 hours, untill the Japanese elder couldn't stand it anymore and passed out he succumbed to the awesome power of the warrior in white. The willpower, martial arts and the sword of the warrior in white became one entity, one great awesome, omnipotent power.
    He killed several of the top leading martial arts experts of China with one slash between the eyebrows. He shocked the entire realm.
    The top ten elite martial arts experts gathered at the Linking Cloud Manor to challenge him. One by one, those experts died. One stance was enough. When someone threatened him by saying:"There are hundreds of us, if all of us attacked at once. You wouldn't be able to withstand such an assault."
    The Japanese Wulin was shocked to hear that the warrior in white had lost and feared that the defeat would have driven him insane. No one in Japan is his match, and if he would go mad that would mean doom for everyone. So the three elders of Japanese Wulin assembled a group of top martial arts experts to contain/kill him if necessary. All means would be allowed, although they commented that such an action would be honourless, but the warrior in white was a product of the Japanese Wulin so they have a responsibility to stop him.

The death of the Purple Marquis has greatly saddened me. With his death, I am lonelier than before. I know now that victory does not come easy, but finding defeat is even more difficult.

I think he'd K.O Dugu Qiu Bai
    So awesome

:]

Quote Originally Posted by strife_au
    I think he'd K.O Dugu Qiu Bai
    So awesome

:]
    Remember Sek Por Tin jumping over the ocean? This Japanese fellow apparently swam from Japan to China.