Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Book of Records for Jin Yong universe

Default The Book of Records for Jin Yong universe

Have you ever wondered:

-Who launched the longest ranged effective single Long Distance Attack (LDA)?
    -Who performed the longest ranged instance of Sealing Acupoints Without Physical Contact?
    -Who ran or swam the most distance in a nonstop attempt?

Well, I thought it might be fun to compile these records for the Jin Yong universe--with your help of course. For the Acupoint feat, I think Xiao Feng might have topped all with this instance:

智光撕信之時,先向火堆走了幾步,與喬峰離遠了些,再將信箋湊到眼邊,似因光亮不
    足,瞧不清楚,再這麼撕信入口,信箋和嘴唇之間相距不過寸許,喬峰萬萬料不到這位德高
    望重的老僧竟會使這狡獪會倆,一聲怒吼,左掌拍出,凌空拍中了他穴道

The initial distance between Xiao Feng and Reverend Zhiguang was probably at least 1 to 2 feet. Zhiguang then walked several steps away, and each step (including the extra distance between the left foot and the right foot) was probably around 2 feet. So, the final distance between Xiao and Zhiguang was probably around 7 to 10 feet. Xiao Feng then launched a palm from that distance which sealed Zhiguang's acupoint.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Longest LDA....hmm Sweeper Monk on JMZ? Can anyone translate that part please?
    Still searching for my GuGu

OYF. Killing the most sharks at once.

Greatest distance LDA probably goes to HYS with Tan Zhi Shen Tong using the pebble. But that employs a projectile so it may not count. Then it would probably be Murong Bo using Canhe Finger on Duan Zhengchun. Or LQS hitting XZ and TSTL.

Quote Originally Posted by K2Grey
    Greatest distance LDA probably goes to HYS with Tan Zhi Shen Tong using the pebble. But that employs a projectile so it may not count. Then it would probably be Murong Bo using Canhe Finger on Duan Zhengchun. Or LQS hitting XZ and TSTL.
    IIRC, MRB was about 10 feet away when he used Canhe Finger. Yideng in ROCH performed also performed outside of 10 feet, so I don't know.

I would say LQS hitting XZ/TSTL. That was near the max stated by JY.
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出“一阳指”功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚
    此时一灯大师的“一阳指”功夫实已到了登峰造极、炉火纯青的地步,指上发出的那股罡气似是温淳平和,但沛然浑厚,无可与抗

Quote Originally Posted by R!chard
    Longest LDA....hmm Sweeper Monk on JMZ? Can anyone translate that part please?
    I'd also like to know how Sweeper Monk "threw" JMZ off the mountain. From the TVB adaptation it seemed like SM threw something at JMZ and JMZ fled of his own volition.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoReverse
    OYF. Killing the most sharks at once.
    ZBT. for the longest time surfing on a shark.
    Watch out! Dihydrogen Monoxide will kill us all!

I'd also like to know how Sweeper Monk "threw" JMZ off the mountain. From the TVB adaptation it seemed like SM threw something at JMZ and JMZ fled of his own volition.
    From the mainland adaptation, SM threw a LDA from hundreds of meters away to knock JMZ away....

Quote Originally Posted by R!chard
    From the mainland adaptation, SM threw a LDA from hundreds of meters away to knock JMZ away....
    Ok, that obviously was just wrong. It's impossible to use a LDA of 100 meters when 3.3 meters equal to 10 feet. 16.5 meters or 50 feet or 5 zhang is the max.

Are you sure? You mean the ZJZ 03 Production? I thought that was like 20-30 feet in the production. Sweeper Monk seemed to use a finger energy and it traveled across the lake like place.
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出“一阳指”功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚

That looked FAR away......XF had to travel for quite a bit to reach DY.....

SM was in the middle of the lake then on the bank are the monks, XY and people and then behind them are DY and JMZ.....

That certainly looks more than 5 zhang away....

Maybe that law doesn't apply to a god? LOLOLOL

Quote Originally Posted by Whsie
    IIRC, MRB was about 10 feet away when he used Canhe Finger.
    The distance was not specified. Maybe someone can do a rough estimate from the description of the locations of the participating characters.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    The distance was not specified. Maybe someone can do a rough estimate from the description of the locations of the participating characters.
    hm... I thought I read it was 10 feet, but I guess I misread it for DY and MRF's distance when they were fighting 6MSJ.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    It should be _really_ far away. Here is the rough sequence.

1. MRF was stepping on DY while fighting DZC.

2. DY gets up and fights MRF.

3. MRF gets his headgear pierced by DY's 6MSJ, WYY screams for mercy. DY stops attacking.

4. MRF does a suicide attack on DY. DY freezes due to panic. XF intervenes before anyone else could.

5. MRF gets grabbed, lifted and thrown by XF. Described as 7-8 Zhang away!

6. MRF freaks out. His cronies run to him. MRF grabs a sword from Bao BuTong and wants to kill himself.

7 MRB shoots a projectile from over 10 zhang <听得破空声大作,一件暗器从十余丈外飞来> , knocks the sword away.

8. MRB jumps to MRF, talks about how he has no descendant yadda yadda, says that Murong family skill is not short of 6MSJ yadda yadda, he proceeds to demonstrate his finger skill by lightly tapping 3 times in the air. It was narrated that he was going easy. Or DZC and Ba Tian Shi would have died on the spot. <段正淳和巴天石摔倒后,立即翻身跃起,不禁骇然。这灰衣僧显然是手下留情,否则这两个虚点便已取了二人性 命>

From the fighting to the throw by XF, its highly unrealistic to say 10 feet. Can easily be 80+?!?!!? feet. Impossible to say thanks to lack of info JY though.

The only hard fact on distance was that XF threw him 7-8 zhang away!

edit : Edited original post after re-reading the book. Yup, JY specifically said that MRF was flung in excess of 7 to 8 zhang by XF.

慕容复直飞出七八丈外

That is one mighty finger flick from MRB!
    Last edited by CC; 08-06-06 at 12:11 AM.

actually, it would be insanely far if it was like that.

MRF was thrown I think 70-80 feet by XF.
    So how far is that together?

Quote Originally Posted by Whsie
    actually, it would be insanely far if it was like that.

MRF was thrown I think 70-80 feet by XF.
    So how far is that together?
    Rereading that part of the chapter, yes it was insane.

After all, he wanted to demonstrate the power of Murong family skill and to prove that it wasn't shy of Dali Duan's 6MSJ. So if it was just shoving 2 lower level fighters from 10-30 feet away, whats the big deal? The whole crowd had just witnesses XF's long distance palms, DY's 6MSJ, YTZ and Xuan Ci's air palms etc etc. It had to be really far to demonstrate the power of the skill.

Been thinking about it some more.

When XF threw MRF, MRF was nearly next to DY since MRF was doing a suicide attack on DY.**

So when MRF was thrown, regardless of direction of throw, he would be 70-80 feet away from DY.

MRF's cronies and his dad ran over to him, so MRF was not described as having moved from where XF threw him.

DZC and BTS were attending to DY, so DY had not moved too.

Therefore, the distance between MRB and DZC/BTS was really in excess of 7-8 zhang when the attack was thrown.

**Add that last gap between MRF and DY to the MRB attack distance. After all, if XF wanted to throw him, he would throw him _away_ from DY.

yeah, that was what I was thinking. And that range is almost impossible. According to that range, MRB would >>>> DY in internal which isn't the case.

If MRB really thought that his family's martial arts were as good as 6MSJ, then why did he want to know 6MSJ so much?

Same with the Shaolin Arts.

If MRB really thought that his family's martial arts were as good as 6MSJ, then why did he want to know 6MSJ so much?

Same with the Shaolin Arts.
    I don't think MRB honestly meant that his Canhe Finger was not inferior to 6MSJ. I think MRB was just trying to raise confiedence in MRF of their faimly's art+ show the group of watchers that the Mu Rong faimly are not this weak.

Given that JY bothered to specify the great range which MRF was thrown, I suppose he did want to show that MRB's finger flick was capable of great range.
    And it was also stated that its not just a shove but that MRB could have killed both of them if he wanted.

I sense a great disturbance in the 'JY internal logic flaw due to plot device clash time space continuum'.

We'll just have to write this one off as one of those irreconcilable plot holes.

More ammo for me the next time we have a XF/DGSD vs GJ/YG/ROCH argument!