Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who is the best Yang guo and best Xiao long nu?

Senior Member invisible_dolphinbay's Avatar

Default Who is the best Yang guo and best Xiao long nu?

just curious what you guys would think. i'm a ROCH fan and i watched three versions of ROCH (richie ren version, louis koo version, and huang xiao ming version)

My favorite yang guo is the one from ROCH 95 (louis koo) i thought he was just awesome. he totally looks the role and he's played out the role really really believably and i felt soo much for him and XLN. personally, i like all the yang guos, including richie ren (most people would probably disagree. but why?) i felt richie ren's yang guo was the most sincere, though he was a bit pathethic. and huang xiao ming's yang guo was very cool and xiao sa, but he failed to bring any emotion to me even when he's on stage with his burst of emotions calling "gugu." i feel that he lacks chemistry with liu yi fei, which is why i prefer louis koo

my favorite xiao long nu is carmen lee, though again, i like all the XLN's. i also feel jacquline wu was a superb XLN (though again, most people disagree). she was the first xiao long nu that i've seen and i just couldn't help but like her. as for liu yi fei, i do really really like liu yi fei and i feel that she fits the description of XLN the most in the novel, but i feel that her XLN is a bit too fairylike, though i felt that liu yi fei was EXCEPTIONAL (better than all the others) in a few individual scenes.

i also saw clips on the TVB idy chang version, singapore fan weng fang version and the old taiwanese versions (idy chan and pang yi zi) i don't have much to say about those becuase i only saw some clips, but i thought fan weng fang and pan ying zi are both horrible. fan wen fang looks like a snake and is way too emotional and pan ying zi looks like shes a princess doll with all that makeup and puffy dresses. idy chan was okay. pretty good for a start, but like my friend said, i thought she was too emotional also.

so, what do you guys think? (anyone want to defend the richie ren version cause i still don't understand what most people have against the two main leads?)

The real butcher for Richie Ren version is the trashing of the storyline--so many things completely changed, RIchie is not handsome to be YG, and XLN's image as the girl in BLACK!

There were many flaws in Louis Koo's version. He did a horrible job as the young YG up until he cut off his arm. He could not act playful enough as in the novel and was very wooden the first half. Note there were some bad directing or mistakes made by Louis. He accidentally used his left hand many times (to help XLN up at QZ, in the middle clips he put his left hand around her)

HXM, IMO, stuck to the novel the most. Note that YG was very childish up until he left the mountain when XLN disappeared. As in the novel, he was a teenager but acted still like a kid and thought of amusing things to do such as pick flowers and catch crickets. Therefore, HXM did not overact. He did what was asked and what was written.

Andy was excellent throughout the series. Since the series is old many of the newer generations prefer to watch series with CG and better looking costumes. The actors and actresses look older to them because of the hairdos.

You forgot one other version, 98 version with Chris. Chris's version was acceptable. It stuck to the book pretty well. Scenery = beautiful (real snow, real mountains), Chris overacted a bit too but did well after the arm chopping.

Quote Originally Posted by hkopinions
    The real butcher for Richie Ren version is the trashing of the storyline--so many things completely changed, RIchie is not handsome to be YG, and XLN's image as the girl in BLACK!

There were many flaws in Louis Koo's version. He did a horrible job as the young YG up until he cut off his arm. He could not act playful enough as in the novel and was very wooden the first half. Note there were some bad directing or mistakes made by Louis. He accidentally used his left hand many times (to help XLN up at QZ, in the middle clips he put his left hand around her)

HXM, IMO, stuck to the novel the most. Note that YG was very childish up until he left the mountain when XLN disappeared. As in the novel, he was a teenager but acted still like a kid and thought of amusing things to do such as pick flowers and catch crickets. Therefore, HXM did not overact. He did what was asked and what was written.

Andy was excellent throughout the series. Since the series is old many of the newer generations prefer to watch series with CG and better looking costumes. The actors and actresses look older to them because of the hairdos.

You forgot one other version, 98 version with Chris. Chris's version was acceptable. It stuck to the book pretty well. Scenery = beautiful (real snow, real mountains), Chris overacted a bit too but did well after the arm chopping.
    is chris the singapore one with fang wen fang? or if it isn't, which country was it produced by?

i admit, the richie ren version plot was horrible. i remember feeling down every time XLN leaves, not just becuase i feel sorry for them, but because i know YG's long long journey to find her will bore me. but i still feel that richie ren and jacquline wu did an okay job (maybe that's because that's teh first verson i watched so i like it)

as for louis koo's hand, i was wondering becasue in the ROCH 06 huang xiao ming version, wasn't it has right hand that was chopped off but in louis koo it was left hand. i wonder which one made the mistake. maybe louis koo wasn't as reactive as he was supposed to be but i do prefer him more cause i rather calmer acting. but he did annoy me a lot as he called lu wu shuang "niang zi" (wife) ALL THE TIME in the beginning. and he imagined EVERY girl except gong sun lui e and guo xiang as XLN at a certain point. arg. and what annoyed me more was that he managed to get away with all the flirting. there was no trouble brought to him. all of the girls seemed perfectly fine with him flirting around with them and then saying "i only love my gugu" sigh, that's what really makes me like the side girl characters of ROCH (so nice)

According to the book part of his right arm got chopped off. Since LOuis, Andy, and the others were right-handed the director changed the chopping to the left arm. HXM took a challenge and stuck to the book by having his right arm chopped off.

My favorite Yang Guo is Huang Xiao Ming and my favorite Xiao Long Nu is Liu Yi Fei...a lot thinks that they are bad but I thinks that they're great...

Louis Koo for YG and Carman Lee for sure for XLN...

I'm sure there's been a thread on this before

but anyway, Yang Guo, Louis Koo or Andy... Louis Koo was great in the second half of the series, while Andy was pretty good overall. Richie Ren Christopher and HXM were both pretty average.

XLN, Idy wins out for me
    Fann was the worst XLN of all of them. Jacqueline is forgiven for the fact that it wasn't her fault the director butchered the story. Acting wise, Fann was truly terrible IMO.

Why is this thread even posted in the mainland china forum? We all know fans of the new ROCH 2006 will swarm towards this thread and make their bold claims.

Its all going to be biased because they like LYF and HXM and it automatically makes LYF and HXM the bestests
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

tropical country Singapore :D banana country

LYF as XLN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 HXM as YG!!!!!!!!!!!!! i noe u dont like them bcoz ur jealous...*winks*
    lollipops&raindrops (:

'love me for me' ;D
    'you make me smile'
    'i love you, you idiot' o.0
    FEEL THE LOVE <3

HXM & LYF. They look so cute when they are together. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung
    Why is this thread even posted in the mainland china forum? We all know fans of the new ROCH 2006 will swarm towards this thread and make their bold claims.

Its all going to be biased because they like LYF and HXM and it automatically makes LYF and HXM the bestests
    There are many haters of ROCH06 and LYF too. Everybody is bias anyway. The best YG and XLN are in your mind, no one can change.

tropical country Singapore :D banana country

Quote Originally Posted by algaechu
    There are many haters of ROCH06 and LYF too. Everybody is bias anyway. The best YG and XLN are in your mind, no one can change.
    u seem the only sensible one arnd here*grins*
    lollipops&raindrops (:

'love me for me' ;D
    'you make me smile'
    'i love you, you idiot' o.0
    FEEL THE LOVE <3

CL is the best XLN and LK is the best YG
    'Don't be a dumb@ss and disagree with me or I'll crack ya'

Quote Originally Posted by strife_au
    CL is the best XLN and LK is the best YG
    'Don't be a dumb@ss and disagree with me or I'll crack ya'
    And you can put this phrase in your signature too.

Definitely the one and only Liu Yi Fei as XLN and Huang Xiao Ming as YG.
    That the only good thing that I like about ROCH06 + the fight scenes too.

I also like Andy Lau as YG83 but the girl who played XLN looked old..and not fresh looking like LYF.
    be happy

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung

i don't think mainland people necessary like the ROCH 06 better. like me, i watched ROCH 95 after i watched ROCH 06. although i do consider ROCH 06 the better drama in terms of scenery, plot, side characters, martial arts, etc, i like the main characters of ROCH 95 better.

Quote Originally Posted by 0-0-0
    I'm sure there's been a thread on this before

but anyway, Yang Guo, Louis Koo or Andy... Louis Koo was great in the second half of the series, while Andy was pretty good overall. Richie Ren Christopher and HXM were both pretty average.

XLN, Idy wins out for me
    Fann was the worst XLN of all of them. Jacqueline is forgiven for the fact that it wasn't her fault the director butchered the story. Acting wise, Fann was truly terrible IMO.
    haha. at least someone agrees with me. many of my friends like fann and i don't understand why. i still think she looks like a snake. and she's way to melodramatic. neither do i like christopher. he does not look a yang guo look. he looks more like a guo jing. i think even richie ren was a better yang guo.

Default Dissapointed

Truly..with the ROCH 2006. I am only up to number 10 of the series. But I hate the portrayal of HXM as Yo Ko.

Thought Andy Lau and Idy did much better acting and have stronger chemistry in the movie.

Then again ....I have 30 some episodes to catch up...
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

Quote Originally Posted by invisible_dolphinbay
    i still think she looks like a snake.
    lolz I think so too. it was the hair, so many coils. it was such a turn off that i didn't even watch the series.
    as for the other version with jacqueline, whoever gives XLN a black dress should be hanged.

Liu yi fei did a superb job as XLN. Carman lee's XLN was great too but Liu yi fei overall is the better one. She has that innocent look to it. Liu yi Fei's character just seem a little more fit than carman.

YG i like Lous koo better. YG is playful but not dumb looking like HXM, just a bit too playful.

never really care much about andy liu's ROCH so i cant say much about it
    Am i Crazy!?!?!?!
    [8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888]