Page 21 of 98 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303171 ... LastLast

Thread: Jinyong Character Level Ranking Chart

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    by the way WuxiaMaster, there is already a ultimate ranking of the martial artists in the Jin Yong universe, compiled by our wuxia expert Laviathan. I have pasted the rankings below for your convenience:

Ultimate Ranking in Jin Yong Universe [by Laviathan]

1. The Nameless Old Sweeper Monk

2. Wuyazi, Child Mistress of Heavenly Mountain Tianshan Tonglao, Li Qiushui

3. Xuzhu, Shi Potian
    (Demonic Swordsman Dugu Qiubai)

4. Guo Jing, Yang Guo, Zhang Sanfeng, Zhang Wuji
    (Central Divinity Wang Chongyang, Huang Shang*A )

5. Golden Wheel Monk, Zhou Botong, Xiao Yuanshan, Murong Bo, Xiao Feng

6. Great Wheel Monk Jiumozhi, Eastern Heretic Huang Yaoshi, Southern Emperor Yideng, Western Venom Ouyang Feng, Northern Beggar Hong Qigong, Lord Long and Lord Mu of Gallant Island

7. Qiu Qianren/Ci'en, Xiaolongnü, Dongfang Bubai
    (You Tanzhi)

8. Elder Kurong, Abbot Xuanci*B , Duan Yanqing, Duan Zhengming, Abbot Benyin*C and his fellow monks, Ding Chunqiu, Su Xinghe, Murong Fu, the Three Divine Monks of Shaolin Duwei, Dujie and Dunan, Reverend Kongjian, Zhang San and Li Si of Gallant Island
    (Yang Dingtian)

9. He Zhudao, Yuanzhen/Cheng Kun, Xuanming Elders Lu Zhangke and He Biweng, Eight-Armed Swordsman Fang Dongbai, A Er, A San, Yang Xiao, Fan Yao, Abbot Kongwen*C , Kongzhi, the Two Demons of Hejian Bu Tai and Hao Mi

10. Miejue, Kongxing, the Four Guardian Lords of the Ming Cult*D , the Seven Heroes of Wudang*E , Xiaoxiangzi, Nimoxing, Yin Kexi, Huang Rong, Feng Qingyang, Abbot Fangzheng*F , Ren Woxing, Taoist Priest Chongxu*G
    (Linghu Chong, the Yellow-Dressed Lady*H )

11. The Seven Disciples of Quanzhen*I , Huang Yaoshi's disciples*J , Reverend Yideng's four disciples*K, Gongsun Zhi, Li Mochou, Daerba, Yelü Qi, Huodu, Green Furred Lion King Shi Shugang, Shi Huolong, Yue Buqun, Zuo Lengchan, Abbot Miaodi*L , Taoist Priest Yucha*M , Bai Zizai, Xie Yanke, Xiang Wentian

12. Nun Dingxian, Mister Mo Da, Priest Tianmen, Feng Buping, Mu Renqing, Yuan Chengzhi, Jiunan*N, Yüzhenzi, Priest Musang, Gui Xinshu, Huang Zhen
    (Golden Snake Swordsman Xia Xueyi)

A. Creator of the Book of Nine Negations (LOCH)
    B. Abbot of Shaolin Temple during Northern Song (DGSD)
    C. Abbot of Shaolin Temple during Yuan Dynasty (HSDS)
    D. Purple Dragon Lord Dai Yisi (Golden Flower Granny), White Eagle Lord Yin Tianzheng, Golden Lion Lord Xie Xun, Green Bat Lord Wei Yixiao
    E. The second hero Yu Lianzhou is the strongest among them, followed by Song Yuanqiao, Zhang Songxi, Zhang Cuishan (Zhang Wuji's father, most talented of the Seven Heroes), Yin Liting (excels in swordsmanship) and Mo Xinggu. Third hero Yu Daiyan has been crippled and does not belong to this ranking.
    F. Abbot of Shaolin Temple during Ming Dynasty (Smiling Proud Wanderer)
    G. Leader of Wudang in Smiling Proud Wanderer
    H. Miss Yang, (great-) granddaughter of Yang Guo and Xiaolongnü
    I. Third disciple Qiu Chuji is the best fighter, followed by Ma Yü, Liu Chuxuan, Wang Chuyi, Hao Datong with Sun Bu'er being the weakest of them all. Tan Chuduan died in LOCH as does not belong to this ranking.
    J. The Black Wind Demons Chen Yuanfeng and Mei Chaofeng are the most powerful, followed by Qu Lingfeng (Qu San), Lu Chengfeng, Wu Tianfeng (never appeared in novel) and Feng Mofeng (his martial arts skills equals those of Li Mochou, but he lacks her fighting experience).
    K. Zhu Ziliu is the most accomplished martial artist of the four, followed by Wu Santong and Diancang Yuyin. The Lumberjack only appeared in LOCH, so his martial arts progress is unknown.
    L. Abbot of Shaolin Temple in Ode to Gallantry
    M. Leader of Wudang in Ode to Gallantry
    N. Princess Changping, daughter of Ming Emperor Chongzhen
    Come on Xiao Feng isn't that weak is he? He's even ranked weaker than Golden Wheel Monk.
    Last edited by chibidaisuke; 09-28-10 at 08:59 AM.

Rereading that ranking, Laviathan really doesn't think too much of SPW fighters. He ranks all second-third tier fighters of HSDS above Ren Woxing and Abbot Fang Zheng!

Also amusing how Shi Potian is in the third tier (I think he should be above Wuyazi and co) while the next most powerful mainland fighters Xie Yanke and Bai Zizai are all the way down in number 11th. Such an epic gap in one novel, though I guess LOCH/ROCH is like that with the Greats and everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    Rereading that ranking, Laviathan really doesn't think too much of SPW fighters. He ranks all second-third tier fighters of HSDS above Ren Woxing and Abbot Fang Zheng!

Also amusing how Shi Potian is in the third tier (I think he should be above Wuyazi and co) while the next most powerful mainland fighters Xie Yanke and Bai Zizai are all the way down in number 11th. Such an epic gap in one novel, though I guess LOCH/ROCH is like that with the Greats and everyone else.
    Regarding that list, I have a load of disagreements on it, especially regarding the upper ranked fighters. I fail to see how can DGSD Elites be ranked this low especially losing to the like of Golden Wheel Monk. That's underrating the Elites a bit too much. The Elites should be at least on the same level of Guo Jing or even higher (even if it's a small gap). I think it's pretty clear that Jin Yong wants the Elites to be stronger than the Greats (including Guo Jing, Yang Guo etc). Even if he didn't intend the gap to be big. I also hugely disagree on Jiumozhi being ranked on the same level as the older Greats (No way!). I also find it interesting how Xuzhu is ranked below the Xiaoyao Elders. These are just my opinions though.
    Last edited by chibidaisuke; 09-27-10 at 08:46 PM.

I believe that Huang Shang, whose martial arts, 9 Yin, could teach all 5 Greats a thing or two about martial arts should be ranked a level higher.

That classic ranking focused more on the theoretical sophistication of the martial artist, and not so much on the actual fighting abilities. That's why crappy fighters like Zhang Wuji and Golden Wheel Monk are ranked high: b/c they nevertheless have excellent martial arts.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

That classic ranking focused more on the theoretical sophistication of the martial artist, and not so much on the actual fighting abilities. That's why crappy fighters like Zhang Wuji and Golden Wheel Monk are ranked high: b/c they nevertheless have excellent martial arts.
    Theoretical sophistication of the martial arts they use, rather than the sophistication/ability of the fighters themselves in most cases.

And yes, I disagree with :

1. Xu Zhu ranked below the 3 elders (3x the inner power should make up most differences)

2. SOD fighters ranked so low. DFBB should be above or near the ROCH Elites. RenWoxing ranked below Xuanming elders and Ah San?!?! No way!

3. Xiao 'JY Interview says my Dragon Palms is better than Guo Jing' Feng!

4. He Zhudao. He should be at least Murong Fu level or above.
    Last edited by CC; 09-27-10 at 05:08 PM.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Talking about sophistication, then Jiumozhi should be ranked way above Xiao Feng. Anyways I much prefer PJ's 'unofficial ranking' of the fighters. I pretty much agree with almost all his rankings regarding the higher ranked fighters.
    Last edited by chibidaisuke; 09-27-10 at 08:43 PM.

I think everyone's getting the ranks all wrong

Here's indisputable top 3 of most powerful.

1. The cook (who killed his own sec members with one stab. Granted, their hands were tied but that's a good Kung Fu stab still)
    2. Crippled wife of (master of heartless valley. Damn she can blow and suck. What an inner chi.)
    3. Crazy lady (Her Kung Fu is so powerful, she still looks like she's in her 20s even though she's much older)

Besides #2, which I don't agree with, I don't know what you're talking about.

Fighting prowess aside, I have a hard time believing Feng Qingyang, Fang Zheng, Chongxu, and Ren Woxing are theoretically less sophisticated than many of the people above them. They've each mastered or learned to a very high level some of the the highest martial arts in the JY canon.

And people like Golden Wheel Monk/Zhang Wuji -- I don't think they are theoretically very good martial art experts. They have powerful arts that they can execute at a high level. There is no way I would place them theoretically higher than the original 4 Greats.
    Last edited by tape; 09-20-13 at 07:14 PM.

my favourite jing yong character Ling hu chong is ranked so low ?

This thread is incredible. We used to be so vocal and passionate when debating wuxia....time to retire guys, we are getting old.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    We used to be so vocal and passionate when debating wuxia....
    I would like those 5000 hours back!

Seeing this reminds me of the list I never finished. Maybe someday...

Wow this thread is still alive. I guess we could continue to work on improving and refining the list.

We could explore inserting character LVs at different point of the story into the chart. Might also add a "justification" on why a character is a certain lv for more controversial choices.

E.g. Sweeper Monk is legendary because he 1 hit KO a LV80 Murong Bo.

Feel free to make suggestions. :P
    Last edited by WuxiaMaster; 09-27-13 at 11:17 AM.

haha sword god zhuo bu fan is finally added

will you add lin chao yin?

Shouldn't the yellow-robed lady be ranked at least higher than Cheng Kun? She was seeking him out with the daughter of the beggar chief with imperious confidence. She knew he had narrowly beaten the Beggar chief, so had an idea of how powerful he was.

Her attitude, and intelligence? suggests she should be able to beat him with relative ease.

Quote Originally Posted by yangguo_ View Post
    Indeed, in the same category as Murong Fu! CC and I's hard work were not in vain
    Last edited by PJ; 09-27-13 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yangguo_ View Post

will you add lin chao yin?
    he doesn't deserve the title sword god..

Quote Originally Posted by ecthelias View Post
    Shouldn't the yellow-robed lady be ranked at least higher than Cheng Kun? She was seeking him out with the daughter of the beggar chief with imperious confidence. She knew he had narrowly beaten the Beggar chief, so had an idea of how powerful he was.

Her attitude, and intelligence? suggests she should be able to beat him with relative ease.
    She's not ranked yet right now. I think she should be much higher than Cheng Kun, and maybe slightly below Zhang Wu Ji - around 70 to 75.
    Last edited by WuxiaMaster; 09-28-13 at 12:20 PM.