Page 7 of 98 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757 ... LastLast

Thread: Jinyong Character Level Ranking Chart

THANKYOU! I wrote what you wrote like seriously 5 times and I always had the feeling that no one cared about it.
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出“一阳指”功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚
    此时一灯大师的“一阳指”功夫实已到了登峰造极、炉火纯青的地步,指上发出的那股罡气似是温淳平和,但沛然浑厚,无可与抗

Quote Originally Posted by Whsie
    THANKYOU! I wrote what you wrote like seriously 5 times and I always had the feeling that no one cared about it.

Sorry, what was that again?

Now, seriously. I believe that JY intended for GWM and all the other Greats to be close. With Ci'en just the very slightest bit behind. The troubles which we see GWM have in many of his fights was just necessitated by the plot.

I believed Ci En (Qiu Qian Ren) is slightly behind the greats in LOCH. However, in ROCH, all the greats have improved while he doesn't seem to have. (Torture by his remorse and guilt)

Quote Originally Posted by Pacifian
    One factor contributing to the easy defeat of GWM, IMO, is because YG's Sad Palms during that battle was much stronger than his usual Sad Palms. Before his encounter with XLN, he was certain that XLN is alive. Although he felt misery as in having to wait for so long just to meet XLN once again, there is hope that he will see XLN again.

During the battle with GWM, he felt total despair when he was about to get killed by GWM. Here, he felt he is NEVER going to see XLN ever again. A gloomy dead end awaits him, unlike the past where he has to struggle through the journey of loneliness. Given the disparity in emotions between the two circumstances, I will say there is reason for YG to defeat GWM not because he was much stronger. When YG challenges HYS in that pavillion or something, YG surely wasn't feeling this sad, in fact, he was about to meet XLN in a few days. How do you put both circumstances in the same level?

You might know this, but I felt the need to reiterate this. The heart controls the arm, and the arm controls the palms. Any difference in emotion will affect the end result of the Melancholic Palms.
    I could have sworn I wrote this at least 3 times and I never hear a peep about whether everyone disagree or not.
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出“一阳指”功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚

I would definitely agree that JY intended WCY to be better than the Greats but unfortunately, if he intended WCY to continue being better than the Greats, he sorta wrote himself into a corner, because the story does not support that idea.

On another note, I totally disagree that the power of his Melancholic Sad Palms is porportional to his sadness. You seem to have the idea that there is a direct relationship between them like where if x is sadness and y is power, y = x, or y = x^2, or y = x^(1/2). On the other hand I believe it is more accurately represented as something like y = 50 - 40/x, where as Yang Guo gets sadder his Sad Palms increase in power but there is a rate of decreasing returns.

I don't think the "extra" sadness during GWM fight increased the power of YG's palm significantly over when he was contending with ZBT and HYS.

Quote Originally Posted by K2Grey
    On another note, I totally disagree that the power of his Melancholic Sad Palms is porportional to his sadness. You seem to have the idea that there is a direct relationship between them like where if x is sadness and y is power, y = x, or y = x^2, or y = x^(1/2). On the other hand I believe it is more accurately represented as something like y = 50 - 40/x, where as Yang Guo gets sadder his Sad Palms increase in power but there is a rate of decreasing returns.

I don't think the "extra" sadness during GWM fight increased the power of YG's palm significantly over when he was contending with ZBT and HYS.
    Of course I never said that it was porportional, but the point is that the sadder, the stronger the palm energy.

I personally felt that "extra" sadness was enough of a significance. I agree with Pacifan that being close to 16 year agreement, YG was having more hope. YG naturally is still depressed from being separated, but I don't think it is sad to the extreme yet. On the other hand, what do you think YG would feel when he is about to NEVER see XLN AGAIN! I don't know....., I personally feel that there is a pretty significant gap between the 2 level of depression.

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

The Golden Wheel Monk doubling his internal power after 16 years, but all of the other remaining Greats were still able be around his level. Meaning that they have increased their power too. It is unlikely that they were inferior to Wang Chongyang and very likely that they have exceeded Wang by a lot. What does this mean? This means nothing! Even if, his internal strength has doubled, that doesn't automatically put the remaining Greats > Wang Chongyang.

I find this argument really weak. What does Goldy's increasment of internal energy have to do with Wang Chongyang's level. I find this argument similar to IF people would claim: Ren Woxing has increased his internal energy by a lot in his 12, 13 year captivity and abbot Fangzheng (and more or less reverend Chongxu) are able to match that internal energy level. So, this means that abbot Fangzheng and Ren Woxing are more powerful than Lin Yuantu and or Dugu Qiubai.

Edit: This is the only thing I wanted to say. If you don't agree, just ignore this comment. As I will not bother to respond to reactions to any posts.
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

Quote Originally Posted by Wu Wudi
    Didn't Leviathan started a thread about how GJ is a lousy character? That's why I consider him a staunch YG fan because from what I know, anti-GJ usually equals pro YG and vice versa.
    I know this is a little late, but I have to say something about the comment quoted above:

The thread that Laviathan (with an "a") started about how "GJ is a lousy character" was actually focused on the linear way in which *Jin Yong* wrote Guo Jing. It was *NOT* about Guo Jing's personal traits per se.

I should know, because I had a very long and enjoyable discussion with Lav in that thread.

HYS
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Xie Yanke of XKX is not that weak and if Sweeps is lvl 100,SPT should be at lvl 92 and Xuzhu lvl 90, XieYanke at lvl 65

Quote Originally Posted by soulmelody
    Xie Yanke of XKX is not that weak and if Sweeps is lvl 100,SPT should be at lvl 92 and Xuzhu lvl 90, XieYanke at lvl 65
    I cannot understand why in the past year or so, there is suddenly this surge of wave of a trend which believes Shi Potian is at Sweeper Monk level. Only three or four years ago, most people didn't even believe Shi Potian was at a Great's level, and we had very difficult time convincing people that Shi Potian > Xiao Feng.

Seriously, Shi Potian is not nearly as impressive as the Sweeper Monk. The guy is good but not that good. We only saw him in an UNPRODUCEABLE fight, unreproduceable because he was in a freaking trance and it's not like every time he's in a fight he can just slip into that mode. So how good is he really? Most likely weaker than the trance mode.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by soulmelody
    In my humble opinion lvl 95

In Demi God and Semi Devil, among Xu Zhu, Duan Yu and Xiao feng , who is stronger?

Quote Originally Posted by gjong View Post
    In Demi God and Semi Devil, among Xu Zhu, Duan Yu and Xiao feng , who is stronger?

By the end of it, I think JY intended it to be Xuzhu, DuanYu, XiaoFeng in that order by pure martial arts skills. However some ppl on SPCnet thinks that Duan Yu is overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by flamer View Post
    By the end of it, I think JY intended it to be Xuzhu, DuanYu, XiaoFeng in that order by pure martial arts skills. However some ppl on SPCnet thinks that Duan Yu is overrated.
    true.. but then if taken into account other factors is it possible for Qiao feng to defeat Xuzhu or Duan Yu even if his martial arts lower...

For the record, I am both a GJ and YG fan, and feel that they are roughly equal, with perhaps YG having the slightly higher potential because he is younger.

I find this argument really weak. What does Goldy's increasment of internal energy have to do with Wang Chongyang's level. I find this argument similar to IF people would claim: Ren Woxing has increased his internal energy by a lot in his 12, 13 year captivity and abbot Fangzheng (and more or less reverend Chongxu) are able to match that internal energy level. So, this means that abbot Fangzheng and Ren Woxing are more powerful than Lin Yuantu and or Dugu Qiubai.
    I can agree with this sentiment. For me, the quantity of internal has more to do with your ability to continue in a fight. Ultimately, in a given batle, the most important variable is how quickly you are able to break your opponent's techniques (weirdness certainly helps here), and how effectively you are able to use your internal (hence why Shi Potian even with great internal did not have the best fighting skills until much later).

Any chance you'll rank characters from Ode to Gallantry and Bi Xue Jian?

Quote Originally Posted by WuxiaMaster View Post
    Here is the guideline to follow. If character A is X level below B......

Important Guidelines
    1) 1 Lv Below - B is only percieved to be very slightly stronger.
    2) 3 Lv Below - B would be beaten after a very long and close fight.
    3) 5 Lv Below - B would definitely lose but not before putting up a good fight.
    4) 10 Lv Below - B would be thrashed.

Important Important Important:

Note: This chart takes into consideration the"fighting capabiilty", in other words "the ability to battle another opponent" ONLY. It does not consider solely internal strength or swordplay or etc...It takes the whole character as a whole.

Best example would be like Shi Po Tian. He got incredible Internal Energy and far surpass the entire Wulin very very early in the story, but at that time he would still be ranked like LV20 beause he TOTALLY DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO FIGHT.

Also, a SLIGHTER stronger character (LV 1 - LV3) would NOT DEFINITELY lose. However, if the difference is too huge (LV10) then he would definitely lose UNLESS of course factors like "poison" etc are taken in.

<Main Post Below>

XA – Xiao Ao Jiang Hu
    TL – Tian Long Ba Bu
    LO – She Diao Ying Xiong Zhuan
    RO – Shen Diao Xia Lu
    YT – Yi Tian Tu Long Ji
    [ 空蕩的街景 想找個人放感情 做這種決定 是寂寞與我為鄰...我們的愛情 像你路過的風景 一直在進行 腳步卻從來不會為我而停...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名...你說愛像雲 要自在飄浮才美麗 我終於相信 分手的理由有時候很動聽...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名... 一直很安靜 ]

Quote Originally Posted by Athena View Post
    And two years down the road, I still must say:

That would make PERFECT sense, IF the novel specifically stated that in the past, it took Lin Yuantu or Dugu Qiubai a full week's worth of competing in martial arts to determine their superiority over Fangzheng/Ren Woxing. Which was the case for WCY and the Greats.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Personally, I believe it's just another f*ck up in the Jin Yong universe. I believe when Jin Yong wrote LOCH, he really intended Wang Chongyang to only be a little above the Greats, which was consistent with the 7 days 7 nights thing. Jin Yong didn't anticipate that the LOCH Greats would DOUBLE their power in the next novel! But when he wrote ROCH, he still wanted to keep Wang Chongyang to be little bit above the Greats. Well, obviously that creates some inconsistencies between LOCH and ROCH, and he did fix some of these inconsistencies in 3rd ed, but there are still some inconsistencies in existence.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by resident:alien View Post
    Any chance you'll rank characters from Ode to Gallantry and Bi Xue Jian?
    Many Ode to Gallantry characters are ranked in there.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Personally, I believe it's just another f*ck up in the Jin Yong universe. I believe when Jin Yong wrote LOCH, he really intended Wang Chongyang to only be a little above the Greats, which was consistent with the 7 days 7 nights thing. Jin Yong didn't anticipate that the LOCH Greats would DOUBLE their power in the next novel! But when he wrote ROCH, he still wanted to keep Wang Chongyang to be little bit above the Greats. Well, obviously that creates some inconsistencies between LOCH and ROCH, and he did fix some of these inconsistencies in 3rd ed, but there are still some inconsistencies in existence.
    Your right, I don't believe that Wang Chongyang as of the time of his death is stronger than guys like GWM, YG, and GJ as of the end of ROCH (the Greats were not mentioned to have improved that much, and we know Yideng was losing to a distracted GWM and ZBT did not have the same vitality as before).

That said, I believe the statements by ZBT were something to the effect that "if he was still alive." This would mean that he would also have the opportunity to continue improving to that point.

Obviously there has to be some tradeoff with gaining more internal but losing yuth and vigor, but we don't know what that ratio tradeoff is.

Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    Many Ode to Gallantry characters are ranked in there.

Your right, I don't believe that Wang Chongyang as of the time of his death is stronger than guys like GWM, YG, and GJ as of the end of ROCH (the Greats were not mentioned to have improved that much, and we know Yideng was losing to a distracted GWM and ZBT did not have the same vitality as before).

That said, I believe the statements by ZBT were something to the effect that "if he was still alive." This would mean that he would also have the opportunity to continue improving to that point.

Obviously there has to be some tradeoff with gaining more internal but losing yuth and vigor, but we don't know what that ratio tradeoff is.
    If WCY was stronger than late ROCH Greats, then why was there even a Hua Shan tournament? It would have been pointless as WCY would be soo far ahead of everyone else. Throughout LOCH and ROCH the Greats mastered/invented many techniques, all received boosts from 9 Yin, and GWM was said to have doubled his internal (the validity of this is shaky) in 16 years.