Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Iryu - [Team Medical Dragon]

Does Sakaguchi Kenji always play the strong silent type? He looks like he'd be typecast for such roles. Even though I've only seen him in this one show, it's hard to imagine him in a comedic role or something lighthearted.
    Last edited by Lady Zhuge; 10-25-06 at 11:39 PM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge
    Does Sakaguchi Kenji always play the strong silent type? He looks like he'd be typecast for such roles. Even though I've only seen him in this one show, it's hard to imagine him in a comedic role or something lighthearted.
    I have finished Team Medical dragon and I have to say its a very good drama indeed. I am pretty impressed with the whole cast and Sakaguchi Kenji is very good in his portrayal. Same here, I am not sure if Kenji would be equally good in a more comic or relaxed role. For this drama, I must say that the operations are too visual, at least I did not expect it to be so visual. I had to half keep my eyes away from the screen whenever they show operations going on.

I think Teppi was very good here, so much better than those student roles he used to do in Gokusen 2 and Dragon Zakura, I think this role had more more potential too. Did he win best supporting or anything for this role? Sakaguchi Kengi too? Did he win best male actor? I know this was the best serial for the serial during that season.

I am particularly tickled by the Harry Potter mentions to Teppei. It was so funny. Actually, I too agree that he does bear some resemblance to Harry Potter.

Now that I have finished this serial, I can say that there are indeed many similarities bet this and the while tower but I think the spirit conveyed for both dramas is quite different. This one is more cheerful and conveys a positive spirit eventually. The context and situations are quite simailr for both.

And which is that song that many people were raving about? Was it the end theme? I like it, its really nice. I also like the background music composed for this serial. The Japanese are quite amazing when it comes to the music they managed to come up with, they are usually very nice.

I would love to continue with another good drama like this..but not many serials are made like this..anyway, I definitley think they should do a sequel for this..its very good.
    Last edited by strawberry; 10-29-06 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry
    For this drama, I must say that the operations are too visual, at least I did not expect it to be so visual. I had to half keep my eyes away from the screen whenever they show operations going on.

I think Teppi was very good here, so much better than those student roles he used to do in Gokusen 2 and Dragon Zakura, I think this role had more more potential too. Did he win best supporting or anything for this role? Sakaguchi Kengi too? Did he win best male actor? I know this was the best serial for the serial during that season.
    I'm quite the opposite as I loved the operational visuals in this serial and how they mapped out the pathophysiology of what was going on. I was glued to the screen.

I don't think any of the actors won awards for this show.

I am particularly tickled by the Harry Potter mentions to Teppei. It was so funny. Actually, I too agree that he does bear some resemblance to Harry Potter.
    Maybe Teppei can take over for Daniel Radcliffe who's apparently signed on to do a nude play.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Teppei was nominated only for Supporting Best Actor in this drama, I don't think he won. Still a good performance.

These what this drama won:
    * 49th Television Drama Academy Awards : Best Drama
    * 49th Television Drama Academy Awards : Best BGM
    * 49th Television Drama Academy Awards : Best Director
    Last edited by eeyore; 10-30-06 at 06:54 AM.
    Spring Summer Autumn Winter.
    Pair ducks nest fly together.
    Clemencies. Summer life, feather winter white.
    Green meadow in spring, before the autumn bite.
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.

I'm quite the opposite as I loved the operational visuals in this serial and how they mapped out the pathophysiology of what was going on. I was glued to the screen.
    Same here. I like the visuals as well. I think they're very well-done and all the props look real. I like the baby's heart the most. It looked so small.

Maybe Teppei can take over for Daniel Radcliffe who's apparently signed on to do a nude play.
    Haha! Is that really true? I didn't know Daniel Radcliffe's is going to do a nude play. I think Teppei looks more like Harry Potter compared to Daniel, just like the guy in the cartoon.

I thought all the actors and actresses did pretty well here. Such a pity the awards only go to the technical side of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefertari
    Same here. I like the visuals as well. I think they're very well-done and all the props look real. I like the baby's heart the most. It looked so small.
    you guys are definitley not faint-hearted kind of gals....I thought those visuals would freak most people out. is it any wonder I am not a bio student?

I thought all the actors and actresses did pretty well here. Such a pity the awards only go to the technical side of the show.
    Then who won best actor for that season's serials?

Haha! Is that really true? I didn't know Daniel Radcliffe's is going to do a nude play. I think Teppei looks more like Harry Potter compared to Daniel, just like the guy in the cartoon.
    Yes, it's true: http://www.showbuzz.cbsnews.com/stor...n1844647.shtml

Apparently he doesn't want to be typecast, but it may already be too late.

Agreed. I don't think the technical aspect alone could have carried this show.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Then who won best actor for that season's serials?
    Toyokawa Etsushi in Bengoshi no Kuzu (a pun that can mean Lawyer Kuzu or Scum Lawyer).

Kenji Sakaguchi's performance was well-delivered but not strong or definitive. He has played a mix of roles so far. He was a happy-go-lucky ad designer in Koi no Chikara, and his role in Itsumo no Futari De (Always the Two of Us) was similarly light-hearted. In Pride as well as in Tentai Kansoku (Searching for My Pole Star), he played the strong, brooding, silent guy haunted by something that occured in his past. Oh and he played a rather intimidating thug of few words in Ikebukuro West Gate Park.

Quote Originally Posted by jade_frosts
    Toyokawa Etsushi in Bengoshi no Kuzu (a pun that can mean Lawyer Kuzu or Scum Lawyer).

Kenji Sakaguchi's performance was well-delivered but not strong or definitive. He has played a mix of roles so far. He was a happy-go-lucky ad designer in Koi no Chikara, and his role in Itsumo no Futari De (Always the Two of Us) was similarly light-hearted. In Pride as well as in Tentai Kansoku (Searching for My Pole Star), he played the strong, brooding, silent guy haunted by something that occured in his past. Oh and he played a rather intimidating thug of few words in Ikebukuro West Gate Park.
    Have you seen him in Tentai Kazoku (Searchin' for my Polestar) http://jdorama.com/drama.694.htm ?

He's quite good here, I reckon, I haven't finish the story yet, but looks ok.
    Spring Summer Autumn Winter.
    Pair ducks nest fly together.
    Clemencies. Summer life, feather winter white.
    Green meadow in spring, before the autumn bite.
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.

Quote Originally Posted by eeyore
    Have you seen him in Tentai Kazoku (Searchin' for my Polestar) http://jdorama.com/drama.694.htm ?

He's quite good here, I reckon, I haven't finish the story yet, but looks ok.
    Yeah I've watched Tentai Kansoku. Lots of eye candy! I like Ito Hideaki better. It was an interesting drama that I guess I can relate to with well fleshed out characters. Part heartwarming, part depressingly bleak. I think bittersweet is a word that best sums it up.

Scenes from Ep6:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/ep6.jpg')

Just popping in to say hi... didn't read any of the posts because I don't want to see any spoilers.

I am currently up to episode 9 of Team Medical Dragon, two more to to go, yay, only if my download speed is faster. Anyway, I am really enjoying the show, it can get kinda too dramatic and unrealistic at times, but it each and every episode was very engaging and exciting. Can't wait to see how the ending is going to be like, so far the storyline totally rocks. The BGM was really good as well, really sets the mood for the story, I can't get the haunting music out of my head.

On a side note -- Sakaguchi Kenji is really, ahem, a hot surgeon, not to mention awesomely cool in white robes and surgical gear.

Quote Originally Posted by beansprouts
    Just popping in to say hi... didn't read any of the posts because I don't want to see any spoilers.

I am currently up to episode 9 of Team Medical Dragon, two more to to go, yay, only if my download speed is faster. Anyway, I am really enjoying the show, it can get kinda too dramatic and unrealistic at times, but it each and every episode was very engaging and exciting. Can't wait to see how the ending is going to be like, so far the storyline totally rocks. The BGM was really good as well, really sets the mood for the story, I can't get the haunting music out of my head.

On a side note -- Sakaguchi Kenji is really, ahem, a hot surgeon, not to mention awesomely cool in white robes and surgical gear.
    So, have you finished the series now?

Yeah, i agree Kenji's a really hot surgeon. He doesn't really feel like one at times (as in his attitude), if not for his amazing surgery skills. I love the speed and plot of this series. Can't really find much fault with this one.

Yep, I am done with the series already, totally kick@ss show. I do hope a sequel will pop up some time down the road. The soundtrack is simply awesome, downloaded the entire OST and listening to it just makes me feel like I am rewatching the series.

I think you will find that most surgeons aren't that hot at all in real life. I'd say most of them have compensated personality disorder. While I like the premise of the show, I'm not sure how corrupt the Japanese system is, and I'd still like to give it the benefit of doubt. What disturbs me is the lack of accuracy in the OR. Even a rookie knows to wear eye protection to avoid splash injury. Everyone working in theaters knows that. And screaming when you get splashed multiple times? Geez, how unrealistic is that. I don't quite like the timidness of the Harry Potter character. He's too weak and immature. He may have potential, but the characters are in general too unrealistic for a medical show. Probably why I should stay clear and stick to scrubs. At least that shows it for what it is.

Yep, I am done with the series already, totally kick@ss show. I do hope a sequel will pop up some time down the road. The soundtrack is simply awesome, downloaded the entire OST and listening to it just makes me feel like I am rewatching the series.
    Beansprouts,

I notice you have been missing in action for a while..where did you go?

anyway, happy to see you posting again.

Also, how comprehensive is the soundtrack? All the music that we heard from the show was featured?

Yes, I think all the songs were featured in the soundtrack. At least I don't recall missing any music from the drama when listening to the soundtrack.

Missing in action cause my computer died on me, it miraculously revived today.

Yes, I think all the songs were featured in the soundtrack. At least I don't recall missing any music from the drama when listening to the soundtrack.
    I thought some songs weren't played during the drama because they didn't quite seem to fit in.

I would certainly like to ask my Japanese colleague about the medical system at Japanese University hospitals to find out whether it really is as rotten as portrayed. Unlike other Japanese medical dramas like the Emergency Room 24 Hrs series, Iryu scores on its portrayal of humanity. But I would really have liked to see more sides of Asada rather than him as an invincible surgeon. It reminded me of how infallible Yosuke Eguchi was as Dr Shindo in Emergency Room 24 Hrs III, and how much that bothered me and my friends who watched it.

Quote Originally Posted by jade_frosts
    But I would really have liked to see more sides of Asada rather than him as an invincible surgeon.
    I totally agree. There were glimpses, but nothing was really followed through. That's a major reason why even though he's extremely cool and talented, Asada is actually pretty low on my list of memorable characters in this drama.

Sequel, sequel, sequel! Or even a special. Any chance of that?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I totally agree. There were glimpses, but nothing was really followed through. That's a major reason why even though he's extremely cool and talented, Asada is actually pretty low on my list of memorable characters in this drama.

Sequel, sequel, sequel! Or even a special. Any chance of that?
    There's no news of a SP even though Busu no Hitomi ni Koi Shiteru which aired in the same season will have a SP in late December. Maybe they will have something lined up for later on in 2007, maybe not. A SP or sequel would be good to have, but not quite necessary for Iryu because I thought the story was pretty well wrapped up. I'd also prefer that they not make a SP with no clear idea in mind as quite a few have come out mediocre and a waste of time. In fact I wonder why Busu no Hitomi ni Koi Shiteru needs a SP in the first place. At 12 episodes, it was already running out of steam ... ...