Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Upcoming Japanese Dramas

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge
    This sounds a lot like Teppan Shoujo Akane, except with a male lead who's not looking for his father. Hopefully the outcome will be better.

I know it's a dismal season (at least on paper), but which spring dramas are you guys following or planning to follow? I'm going to watch at least a few episodes of Liar Game, Bambino, Watashitachi no Kyokasho, Tokkyu Tanaka 3 Go, and Proposal Daisakusen to see which ones are worth following 'til the end. I'm also going to watch the 1 Liter of Tears special.
    I heard Haikei Chichiuesama! from last season was a good drama even though it wasn't pulling in the numbers. The storyline involved the male protagonist's search for his father.

I'm definitely going to follow Watashitachi no Kyokasho! I've seen the first episode and it was really intense, and riveting. It's not your typical classroom drama. It's realistic, gritty, gloomy and a tad depressing. All throughout the first episode there's this sense of foreboding that's somehow amplified by the rather spare background music. The characters are interesting but we only get a glimpse of one facet of them and a hint of a little more. I'd certainly like to see how the scriptwriters handle this familiar topic of school woes. I might check out Liar Game. Jodan janai! doesn't sound good judging by the episode synopsis because it seems like it's rehashing the same tired theme of getting on with the in-laws. Hmmm...I'll just wait to see what other people say about the rest of the dramas.

Upcoming Taiga Series

Atsuhime
    Date: Sundays, 8.00 p.m. 2008
    Station: NHK
    Cast: Miyazaki Aoi, Horikita Maki (rest of the cast will be announced at a later date)
    Synopsis: Atsuhime (Miyazaki Aoi), who was the daughter of the Daimyo of the Satsuma domain at the end of the Edo period. For political reasons, she was sent to Edo Castle to be a consort of the 13th Shogun, Tokugawa Iesada (1824-1858). This same story was the subject of the first Ooku drama series that aired in 2003. The role of Atsuhime, also know as Tokiko, was played by Kanno Miho.

Upcoming Drama Special

Gyokuran
    Date: TBA, June
    Station: TV Asahi
    Cast: Tokiwa Takako, Asano Atsuko, Tsutsui Michitaka, Watanabe Ikkei, Hasegawa Tomoharu, Nagashima Kazushige
    Synopsis: Based on the novel by Kirino Natsuo, Gyokuran is about a frustrated woman, played by Takako, who leaves for China to start her life anew after a breakup with her boyfriend. While there she meets the ghost of her uncle, who disappeared 20 years earlier. Set in Shanghai, this drama depicts two separate love stories across the decades.

Upcoming Drama Special

Hanaikusa
    Date: Fall 2007
    Station: Fuji TV
    Cast: Inoue Mao, Nakamura Toru, Toda Naho, Hazuki Riona
    Synopsis: Hanaikusa is loosely based on the autobiography of retired geisha Iwasaki Mineko. Inoue Mao plays the role of Mineko, a young maiko (apprentice geisha) in the Gion district of Kyoto.

I heard the 3rd quarter drama listings are out...anyone has info on that?

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
    In addition to this thread, I always check DramaWiki to see what new Japanese dramas and specials are coming up.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

They generally will start being announced midway into the current season. I'll update once there's news. But there are no official announcements as yet.

Default Operation love

You know, if Porposal carrys on the way it is, I don't think its that great a show either....oh pl stop the show from having the same formula each week. I think it really seems to be going down that line...this is so sad.

Proposal's ratings have slided to 13. something?....the serial is quite ok but its too episodic to keep the audience interested.

and this really turn out to be a high school drama for Yamapi again...

I don't understand why there are people who love this drama. Episode 1 got off to a good start but now its kind of disappointing.

I've only watch episode 1 of Proposal so far, don't really have time to go about watching it and the show is not really on top of my to-watch-list.

A quick check with dramawiki, the ratings have indeed dropped to 13.4%, wow, that's really bad for a Monday 9 pm show. Can't help but be reminded of Kame's Suppli.....

Quote Originally Posted by beansprouts View Post
    I've only watch episode 1 of Proposal so far, don't really have time to go about watching it and the show is not really on top of my to-watch-list.

A quick check with dramawiki, the ratings have indeed dropped to 13.4%, wow, that's really bad for a Monday 9 pm show. Can't help but be reminded of Kame's Suppli.....
    Apparently, Yamapi fans at other fourms said that there was some special baseball programme that clash with it thus the dismal ratings. I am not too sure how true is that. I really am not fond of the female lead. Instead, I would like to see Pi team up with that girl from Hana Yori. I prefer her so far.

Apparently, Yamapi fans at other fourms said that there was some special baseball programme that clash with it thus the dismal ratings. I am not too sure how true is that. I really am not fond of the female lead. Instead, I would like to see Pi team up with that girl from Hana Yori. I prefer her so far.
    Well, don't you think the girls will still be tuning in to watch Yamapi? I don't think many girls are huge on baseball. Puropozu's plot leaves a lot to be desired as you pointed out and I would definitely love someone other than Nagasawa Masami as the female lead too!

Quote Originally Posted by jade_frosts View Post
    Well, don't you think the girls will still be tuning in to watch Yamapi? I don't think many girls are huge on baseball. Puropozu's plot leaves a lot to be desired as you pointed out and I would definitely love someone other than Nagasawa Masami as the female lead too!
    You are right Jade…well….perhaps the female population in Japan were not strong enough to register a good rating. After all, there’s the rest of the population that might be quite sizeable too or perhaps even more sizeable. In any case, I believe a strong story enjoys more stable ratings, Pi or no Pi.

btw, I observe most of us don't like Nagasawa much...

I'm not sure how Inoue Mao would fare in Nagasawa Masami's role but I have to say that the latter is definitely doing a great job in Proposal Daisakusen, especially after the disastrous Sailor Fuku to Kikanjuu.

IMO, Nagasawa Masami is one of the best actresses of her age and her greatest strength is the ability to convey her emotions through her facial expressions very naturally.

Proposal may seem to be a little too episodic but I still do enjoy watching it very much. Each episode seems to be getting better and more interesting as well.

Quote Originally Posted by floydian View Post
    IMO, Nagasawa Masami is one of the best actresses of her age and her greatest strength is the ability to convey her emotions through her facial expressions very naturally.
    I've seen Masami act and I agree that she has the caliber required but I just can't find myself warming to her acting.

Strawberry, news of summer dramas will start trickling in soon.

Upcoming Summer Drama

Ushi ni Negai: Love & Farm
    Date: Tuesdays, 10.00 p.m.
    Station: Fuji TV
    Cast: Tamayama Tetsuji, Koide Keisuke, Nakata Atsuhiko, Karina, Toda Erika, Aibu Saki
    Synopsis: This drama revolves around 6 third-year students attending agriculture university, and the practical training they undergo in Hokkaido in summer. Through their contact with animals, nature, and people in the sparsely populated villages, they grow aware of the splendour of life. The cast will milk cows, clean the cattle sheds and pig sties, and feed the animals. Ushi ni Negai will also touch on the local administration problems of the financially troubled city of Yubari.
    Last edited by jade_frosts; 05-08-07 at 09:30 PM.

yay more of Tamayama Tetsuji .. thanks jade for telling us
    Spring Summer Autumn Winter.
    Pair ducks nest fly together.
    Clemencies. Summer life, feather winter white.
    Green meadow in spring, before the autumn bite.
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.

Upcoming Drama Special

Ikiru

Date: Fall 2007
    Station: TV Asahi
    Cast: Matsumoto Koshiro
    Synopsis: A dramatisation of Kurosawa Akira's movie of the same name, Ikiru tells the story of a section chief who works in a bureaucratic city hall. He discovers that he is stricken with stomach cancer and doesn't have long to live. He eventually finds significance in his life by working to create a children's park as he attempts to come to terms with his impending death.

Upcoming Summer Drama

Life
    Date: Saturdays, 11.00 p.m.
    Station: FujiTV
    Cast: Kitano Kii, Fukuda Saki, Sakai Miki, Seto Asaka, Maya Miki
    Synopsis: Based on the popular manga of the same name by Suenobu Keiko, Life tells the story of a first year high school student, Shiiba Ayumu (Kitano Kii), who is bullied by her classmate(s) as a result of a misunderstanding, and how she comes to know true friendship and grow strong.

Upcoming Summer Drama

Life
    Date: Saturdays, 11.00 p.m.
    Cast: Kitano Kii, Fukuda Saki, Sakai Miki, Seto Asaka, Maya Miki
    Synopsis: Based on the popular manga of the same name by Suenobu Keiko, Life tells the story of a first year high school student, Shiiba Ayumu (Kitano Kii), who is bullied by her classmate(s) as a result of a misunderstanding, and how she comes to know true friendship and grow strong.
    Another drama about bullying? This one will no doubt be more light-hearted and uplifting than Watashitachi no Kyokasho. So far the summer line-up is not looking too promising either.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge View Post
    Another drama about bullying? This one will no doubt be more light-hearted and uplifting than Watashitachi no Kyokasho. So far the summer line-up is not looking too promising either.
    I'm gonna maintain some optimism and hold out hope that at least one of the dramas in the summer line-up will impress. After all, just 2 out of an estimated 14 have been announced.

Upcoming Drama Special

Papa no Namida de Ko wa Sodatsu
    Date: 15 June, 9.00 p.m.
    Cast: Eguchi Yosuke
    Synopsis: Yosuke stars in this father's day drama special about a TV director who becomes a single father when his Thai wife walks out on him, leaving him to juggle work and raise his two sons aged 3 and 8.

I'm gonna maintain some optimism and hold out hope that at least one of the dramas in the summer line-up will impress. After all, just 2 out of an estimated 14 have been announced.
    Hehe, you're right. Only 3 (I'm gonna call 'em Sushi, Farm, and Life) have been announced, so there are still plenty more to go.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")