Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who in *all* of the wulin multiverse can hope to stop Lee Chum Foon's flying dagger?

Default Who in *all* of the wulin multiverse can hope to stop Lee Chum Foon's flying dagger?

Lee Chum Foon's flying dagger is considered unavoidable and unblockable once released. It is guaranteed death...or is commonly believed to be.

It's taken as an absolute, but are there really absolutes in the universe? Is there any individual in any of the wuxia universes who could possibly dodge/intercept Lee Chum Foon's flying dagger?

someone who successfully mastered Kong Jian's Jin Gang Unbreakable Body.
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出“一阳指”功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚
    此时一灯大师的“一阳指”功夫实已到了登峰造极、炉火纯青的地步,指上发出的那股罡气似是温淳平和,但沛然浑厚,无可与抗

In the case of the Water Matriarch, it was said that nothing in the world could stop the forces of water.

In Xie Xiaofeng and Yan 13's case, it was said that there was definitely nothing in the world that could stop their swords.

As we can see, there are many instances in Gu Long universe that have received the honorable description of unstoppableness. Therefore, we must consider the impressiveness of each individual's actual achievements to determine who is the *most* unstoppable of all.

<!-- begin celebrity promotion -->

(And if you ask me, NIGHT EMPEROR Ye Di is definitely the most unstoppable force in the world with his invincible Jiayi Divine Art.)

<!-- end celebrity promotion -->
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    As we can see, there are many instances in Gu Long universe that have received the honorable description of unstoppableness. Therefore, we must consider the impressiveness of each individual's actual achievements to determine who is the *most* unstoppable of all.
    -->
    Would someone who has reached the Peak of Perfection in Sword positioning be able to position his sword in place to deflect the dagger?

Yes, and don't forget that if this sword positioning wizard is fast enough, he can initialize the offense by surrounding Little Li Flying Dagger's body with 24 different sword energies at once, rendering the opponent unadvanceable and unretractable simultaneously. But, in order to successfully display this profound art, he must have reached the absolute finesse in speed.

Back to the topic, I have a feeling that if Duan Yu got to use Treading Waves Lightness Steps FIRST (and that is a big pre-requisite), then nothing in the wuxia universe short of the likes of [Sweeper Monk, Ding Peng, Dongguo Xiansheng, and special guest NIGHT EMPEROR Ye Di] can hurt him.

Back to the topic, I have a feeling that if Duan Yu got to use Treading Waves Lightness Steps FIRST (and that is a big pre-requisite), then nothing in the wuxia universe short of the likes of [Sweeper Monk, Ding Peng, Dongguo Xiansheng, and special guest NIGHT EMPEROR Ye Di] can hurt him.
    How about an area saturation attack with Chained Pearls Decaying Corpse Skill?

His Threading Waves gives unpredictable movement but its still confined to an area. So saturate that area.

<!-- more celebrity promotion, not to be taken too seriously -->

By the way, during the time of DOMD, Shaolin had a Prana Hall (or something like that) which was devoted to studying every possible martial art in the world. It is highly possible that Shaolin Abbot Chengguan/Dengguan (there are 2 possible pronounciations of his name) has reached the peak of perfection in some, if not most, of these martial arts. It might not be unreasonable to say that Chengguan/Dengguan could have mastered Little Li's Flying Dagger to a degree where he could have devised a counter for it.

Quote Originally Posted by CC
    How about an area saturation attack with Chained Pearls Decaying Corpse Skill?

His Threading Waves gives unpredictable movement but its still confined to an area. So saturate that area.
    Sure. However, I prefer the Diamond Saturation Prana Technique of Confinement and Distance Control.

Now, I want to know, why the hell do I make up kung fu names that sound like they came out of an Engineering book?

Unblockable dagger? I didn't read the story bout him but based on the concept, I think its BS. With such an incredible skill he would be labeled as the strongest martial artist ever. BS characters like him are hardly interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangs
    Unblockable dagger? I didn't read the story bout him but based on the concept, I think its BS. With such an incredible skill he would be labeled as the strongest martial artist ever. BS characters like him are hardly interesting.
    That's the problem I have with Dook Goo Kau Bai, but unlike Lee Chum Foon, Dook Goo Kau Bai has no real story or real personality. DGKB was a plot device rather than a character. Lee Chum Foon, on the other hand, is a fully fleshed-out character. Even if his signature martial art is a bit gimmicky (what a cool gimmick, though), the intrigue of his character and story make up for it.

I doubt you can fully saturate the area with Chained Pearls Corpse Decaying Skill. Duan Yu's LBWB was said to be able to slip through any crack, and this was at a time when he was running full tilt through an entire army (and apparently not using any real offensive attacks). The amount of skill required to do that is superhuman since I don't think there'd be enough _space_ for a human being to get through.

So unless the corpses are thrown all at once like a huge wall, likely Duan Yu could just go through the holes in the corpse hail. I dunno whether LBWB can be applied for vertical movement though.

As for LXH, probably lots of people can deal with the dagger. I'd say anyone 2x+ as good as Shangguan Jinhong should be able to do it. So Old Man Gong, Gong 9 etc.

Quote Originally Posted by K2Grey
    As for LXH, probably lots of people can deal with the dagger. I'd say anyone 2x+ as good as Shangguan Jinhong should be able to do it. So Old Man Gong, Gong 9 etc.
    They can prevent Lee Chum Foon from throwing the dagger in the first place, but can any of them stop/avoid the dagger after it's already been released? Seung Gwoon Gum Hung did try, but failed and lost his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    They can prevent Lee Chum Foon from throwing the dagger in the first place, but can any of them stop/avoid the dagger after it's already been released? Seung Gwoon Gum Hung did try, but failed and lost his life.

NOW you're asking a very good question...

Hmm, the point of LXH's dagger is that he only releases just at the instant his opponent reveals an opening. He takes advantage of just 1 small single flaw in his opponent's movement, if there were no openings then he would not strike (if the opponent was better then him, he'd lose. If the opponent was worse then him, then there will always be a flaw for him to exploit.)

The only thing I can imagine is someone who starts to avoid the dagger after it's released (who moves only after the dagger leaves his hand), yet managing to move faster then the dagger. So is there anyone who can start to move after LXH's dagger, yet able to move faster?

It doesn't matter if the person can move faster then LXH or not, all that person needs to do is move faster then the speed of the dagger.

As for stopping it, anyone can stop it if he or she is wearing an amazing armor and the dagger was aimed at the chest.

Shangguan Jinhong could stop LXH from throwing the dagger in the first place. I'm going to go off my feelings and say that dodging the dagger might take lightness kungfu twice as good.

Whatever the nature of LXH's dagger, there's going to be some level of lightness kungfu that is going to let one dodge it. LXH may be able to predict openings but whether or not an opening is actually one or not is dependent on the movement speed of the opponent.

The guy doesn't really need to move faster than the dagger, the dagger has to move a fair amount of distance, whereas the guy simply needs to move his neck out of the way. Now, one must take into account reaction time, and also momentum since LXH will surely be able to compensate for momentum when he throws his dagger, while his opponent may not be able to change directions fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    That's the problem I have with Dook Goo Kau Bai, but unlike Lee Chum Foon, Dook Goo Kau Bai has no real story or real personality. DGKB was a plot device rather than a character. Lee Chum Foon, on the other hand, is a fully fleshed-out character. Even if his signature martial art is a bit gimmicky (what a cool gimmick, though), the intrigue of his character and story make up for it.
    Well DGQB was undefeated in his time but it was never said that he's unbeatable. But as for Lee Chum Foon, his aim is perfect and thus never misses. To beat LXH, one must not give LXH any opening which I think is a very BIG disadvantage.

In Xie Xiaofeng and Yan 13's case, it was said that there was definitely nothing in the world that could stop their swords.
    I've mentioned this before but I just want to bring it up again because there seem to be some people who think that people like XXF and YAN 13 are on a much higher level than LXH. I'm not talking about you, PJ, because I don't know how you stand on this.

In Full Moon Curved Sabre, it was said that Xie Xiaofeng was afraid to challenge the Gwok Iron Sword family because XXF feared the repercussions of offending LXH's friends. It was said that no one ever dared to offend the Gwok family because of the influence of LXH's descendents and that his descendents are on a much higher level than everyone else in Wulin. This would imply that LXH is on a higher level than XXF and Yan 13.

Of course, Curved Sabre wasn't completely written by Gu Long so we don't know how much of it can be considered canon. Still, LXH holds a special place in Gu Long's world and is mentioned many times in other books as being unmatched under the heavens. Gu Long also mentioned in Bordertown Wanderer that LXH's deeds in Sentimental Swordsman were just very small deeds by LXH's later standards. Even if that part about XXF's fear of Little Li's flying dagger wasn't written by Gu Long, I still think that Gu Long would say that LXH is on a higher level than XXF because LXH is one of Gu Long's few true heroes. According to GL, it was LXH's heroic heart that makes his dagger so powerful and gives it the ability to defeat any enemy. XXF and Yan13 are not really heroes so I don't think they've reached the same level as LXH. I think LXH's power is really underrated by some readers because his flying dagger martial arts seemed so simple on the surface.
    Last edited by Wu Wudi; 09-13-06 at 11:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by K2Grey
    Whatever the nature of LXH's dagger, there's going to be some level of lightness kungfu that is going to let one dodge it. LXH may be able to predict openings but whether or not an opening is actually one or not is dependent on the movement speed of the opponent.

The guy doesn't really need to move faster than the dagger, the dagger has to move a fair amount of distance, whereas the guy simply needs to move his neck out of the way. Now, one must take into account reaction time, and also momentum since LXH will surely be able to compensate for momentum when he throws his dagger, while his opponent may not be able to change directions fast enough.
    SGJH must have had the same ideas as you right before he saw a flash of light before he died.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangs
    Well DGQB was undefeated in his time but it was never said that he's unbeatable. But as for Lee Chum Foon, his aim is perfect and thus never misses. To beat LXH, one must not give LXH any opening which I think is a very BIG disadvantage.
    I would think that DGQB's supposed invincibility is more annoying because we never saw him actually do anything and there're probably a few people of that era that could have beaten him. I don't think that JY was thinking of details when he created DGQB which is why it's kinda silly for fans to postulate when DGQB might have lived and who would he have fought.

About the invincible Little Lee's Flying Dagger, you're right. There must be absolutely no opening at all for someone to beat Little Lee's flying dagger. SGJH gave LXH an incredibly slim opening and LXH was still able to kill him. I think that LXH sent that dagger from below his waist up towards XGJH's throat which is why it's incredible that it killed someone of XGJH's caliber.
    Last edited by Wu Wudi; 09-13-06 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wu Wudi
    . Even if that part about XXF's fear of Little Li's flying dagger wasn't written by Gu Long, I still think that Gu Long would say that LXH is on a higher level than XXF because LXH is one of Gu Long's few true heroes. According to GL, it was LXH's heroic heart that makes his dagger so powerful and gives it the ability to defeat any enemy. XXF and Yan13 are not really heroes so I don't think they've reached the same level as LXH. I think LXH's power is really underrated by some readers because his flying dagger martial arts seem so simple.
    I kinda agree. I think Li holds a special place in GL's heart judging by how his dagger is mentioned across several stories.

I was fighting a losing war in the first Swordsman Survivor game by being almost the sole LXH supporter.

一個人為了公道和正義而戰, 就絕不會敗
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CC
    I kinda agree. I think Li holds a special place in GL's heart judging by how his dagger is mentioned across several stories.

I was fighting a losing war in the first Swordsman Survivor game by being almost the sole LXH supporter.

一個人為了公道和正義而戰, 就絕不會敗
    I think it's telling that LXH, one of GL's favorite characters if not his most favorite, did not have a sequel even though he is often mentioned by GL. It would seem that GL didn't wish to ruin something that was already perfect. I agreed with what GL did even though I think that Ah Fei and LXH are the coolest characters in GL's world. LXH's later accomplishments, which supposedly dwarfed everything he did before, would not have appeared to be as great if GL had written about them directly instead of telling the readers about them through other characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Wu Wudi
    I would think that DGQB's supposed invincibility is more annoying because we never saw him actually do anything and there're probably a few people of that era that could have beaten him. I don't think that JY was thinking of details when he created DGQB which is why it's kinda silly for fans to postulate when DGQB might have lived and who would he have fought.
    DGQB is a cool character because he is totally mysterious. I think he's cool not because he was unmatched in his era, but because of how unimaginable his skills must be. I am, however, inclined to believe that there is someone else who could beat DGQB. So in a sense I know that he is not perfect. LXH on the other hand is perfect which is total BS because nothing is perfect. Of course my initial judgement might change until I read more of his stories, until then I will just give him benefit of the doubt.