Thread: The Wuxia Quote Club (Gu Long readers welcome!)

Default The Wuxia Quote Club (Gu Long readers welcome!)

Let's do something fun. I quote a line from a wuxia novel, translated in English. You tell me which novel it's from. If I blank out a character's name in the quote, you have to tell me who that character is too. At this point, Anyone is welcome to post quotes and answer others'. Novels can be Jin Yong, Gu Long, or what not. But I would prefer if we specify which author we're quoting from.

For example, I quote this line (which you all are familiar with by now):

"Judging by the accuracy and speed of this move, ______ [1]'s achievement in the field of swordplay has truly reached the peak of perfection."

To answer, you would need to specify DGSD as the novel, the SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan as the character mentioned in ______[1].

So let's try to have fun with this
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Here is the first quote. It is from a Gu Long novel:

[Young Girl] says: "How do you feel now? Do you pity yourself or do you pity me?"
    [Old Man _1] replies: "I pity you, for you are the more pitiful one."
    His voice remained calm; he continued: "It is true that I am old, which also means at least I do not have many regrets. How about you? I know that you not only hate me, you also hate yourself."
    [Young Girl] suddenly rushed to him, her body unable to stop trembling. She would really like to kill him, but unable to say why, she suddenly fell in his arms, crying her eyes out.
    After all, he was her first man.
    And also her only man.
    Their lives had been deeply connected with experiences. Although she doesn't want to admit, she can't possibly change the facts.
    No one can change the facts!

Please tell me which novel this passage is from, and the identity of [old man _1]. Educated guesses are welcome

Well well, a year and some months have rolled by without any attempts to identify the novel of my above quote.

Anyone?

Well well, a year and some months have rolled by without any attempts to identify the novel of my above quote.

Anyone?
    Well, possibly because GULONG novels are not very memorable.

QF

Haha. I only know of this thread today. Glad you bumped it. Actually, if this question was posted in wuxiasociety, you would have gotten your answer very soon. There is a Comet, Butterfly, Sword fan there.

It's not that Gu Long novels are not memorable. It's only that there are less Gu Long fans here.

This passage is from Comet, Butterfly, Sword, right?

Old Man = Sun Yu Bo.
    Last edited by kidd; 12-27-07 at 12:42 PM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Haha. I only know of this thread today. Glad you bumped it. Actually, if this question was posted in wuxiasociety, you would have gotten your answer very soon. There is a Comet, Butterfly, Sword fan there.
    I wouldn't dare 班门弄斧 (display one's slight skill before an expert) with the Gu Long fans at wuxiasociety.

This passage is from Comet, Butterfly, Sword, right?

Old Man = Sun Yu Bo.
    Yes, good job.
    *Applaud*

I hope more people will post ENGLISH versions of their MYSTERY quotes.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post

Anyone?
    Actually, like kidd, i only found out of this thread today, and i was thinking of Liu Xing
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

FOR FUN, Regarding the COMET passage, let me present the original passage, and attempt to visualize how Jin Yong would write it. The dialogue part remains unchanged in both versions.

Beginning dialogue
    ---
    [Young Girl] says: "How do you feel now? Do you pity yourself or do you pity me?"
    His voice remained calm; he continued: "It is true that I am old, which also means at least I do not have many regrets. How about you? I know that you not only hate me, you also hate yourself."

Original version
    ---
    [Young Girl] suddenly rushed to him, her body unable to stop trembling. She would really like to kill him, but unable to say why, she suddenly fell in his arms, crying her eyes out.
    And also her only man.
    Their lives had been deeply connected with experiences. Although she doesn't want to admit, she can't possibly change the facts.

JinYongified version
    ---
    The Young girl was outraged by his words. In that moment she felt her hairs straighten as her blood boiled to the maximum point. All her life, she has experienced a touch of loneliness; whenever she would be by herself, tears would roll down uncontrollable. But it was her secret and no one has ever commented on it. Now, she has given herself to the old man, and he is both her first man and the first person to speak her mind. This double-combo infuriated her, but more than anything, she felt agony. She let out a loud cry as she fell into his arms, knowing the facts and unable to do anything else.

Prefer the JinYongified version you wrote over the GL version. The JY version explained everything clearly while the GL version left you in the midst of interpreting what he meant.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    FOR FUN, Regarding the COMET passage, let me present the original passage, and attempt to visualize how Jin Yong would write it. The dialogue part remains unchanged in both versions.

Beginning dialogue
    ---

Original version
    ---
    And also her only man.

JinYongified version
    ---
    The Young girl was outraged by his words. In that moment she felt her hairs straighten as her blood boiled to the maximum point. All her life, she has experienced a touch of loneliness; whenever she would be by herself, tears would roll down uncontrollable. But it was her secret and no one has ever commented on it. Now, she has given herself to the old man, and he is both her first man and the first person to speak her mind. This double-combo infuriated her, but more than anything, she felt agony. She let out a loud cry as she fell into his arms, knowing the facts and unable to do anything else.
    WELL PLAYED.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    Prefer the JinYongified version you wrote over the GL version. The JY version explained everything clearly while the GL version left you in the midst of interpreting what he meant.
    That's just GL's style, he wouldn't be Gu Long if he stopped that.