Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review : The Fantasy Couple

Post Review : The Fantasy Couple

The Fantasy Couple

Synopse : The reverse cinderella tale of an abusive super-wealthy woman becoming the maid of a plummer whom she abused after losing her memory in a boating accident.

Cast :

Jo Anna : Han Yeosul
    Jang Chul Soo : Oh Ji Ho
    Billy : Kim Sung Min

Comment : Korea's No. 1 certified plastic beauty, Han Yeosul, returns to TV screen in this ultra-funny comedy as Jo Anna, an ultra-rich woman with a sadistic personality who derives pleasure out of abusing people around her. Oh Ji Ho, still licking his wounds from the greatest flop of 2005, returns as Jang Chul Soo, a poor and humble plummer who is abused by Anna over and over until he gets a chance to take a vengence on Anna who lost her her memory in a boating accident. Jang Chul Soo fools Anna into believing that she was his live-in girlfriend, and brings her to his pigstye home to treat her like his maid for a month. Does this formula work? Surprisingly, yes. Both Han Yeosul and Oh Ji Ho had reputations of good looks but poor acting skills in the past, but their performances are really good here. The drama is so funny I haven't seen something this funny this year, the last one being Sweet Spy. Highly recommended.

Why does this synopsis remind me so much of the Americian movie with Goldie Hawn and Patrick Swayze? Goldie Hawn played a rich heiress who got into a yacht/boat accident lost her memory and Patrick took her in, even though she had mistreated him in the past and pose her as his wife and mother of his three children.

I know it could be different but the basic plot sounds similiar enough to be a copy.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 10-21-06 at 03:36 AM.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

I know it could be different but the basic plot sounds similiar enough to be a copy.
    I forgot to mention that it is indeed a remake of Overboard(I saw this movie too), but 10X funnier.

that`s what i thought when i was reading this...... the overboard. i thought it was 4 children, the oldest, the twins & the little one...
    Always in search of great historical/costume dramas.
    Find me on MyDramaList ^_^

Differences between the US original and this Korean remake(yes, this is a legal remake, with all the license fee paid up).

- Jo Anna character is much younger and violent than Joanna of Overboard. You have to see Jo Anna blowing Jang Chul Soo away with a shovel. Ouch.

- Jang Chul Soo, who isn't old enough to be married with children, doesn't have four kids; he lives with three orphaned nephews.

- Jang Chul Soo has a female admirer to make it a love triangle.

- The show is a non-stop laugh comedy. You can't stop laughing while watching it, for now.

yup, the series is quite funny. i even watched it without subs in youtube.

the hong sisters definitely knows how to bring the laughs.

haven't seen the original...so this one's quite fresh to me (though the plot of having amnesia, love triangle, etc, etc, have been played over and over again)...
    U can choose 2 keep on doing wat u've been doing w/c means u'll keep on getting wat u've been getting or u can choose 2 accept that u do have wat it takes but u've been ff the wrong blueprint.-Ziglar

Wow I just saw this on d-addict and I'm super excited. It's been a while I haven't seen Oh Ji Ho and Han Hye Seul. Both have good looks but acting skill so so. I hope this will be a good drama, I'm actually downloading it now .
    - currently watching: Fashion King, Rooftop Prince, Love Rain, and Equator Man-
    - recent favorite drama: The Princess's Man
    -

The show is over(only 16 episodes), it was a happy ending(except not for Billy the husband who got divorces from Jo Anna. Well, at least he got to keep the hotel). No surprises or anything.

This was the only stand-out drama of 2006. Watch for it when it airs in Southeast Asia. You won't be dissapointed.

Quote Originally Posted by JonDoe
    The show is over(only 16 episodes), it was a happy ending(except not for Billy the husband who got divorces from Jo Anna. Well, at least he got to keep the hotel). No surprises or anything.

This was the only stand-out drama of 2006. Watch for it when it airs in Southeast Asia. You won't be dissapointed.
    Thanks. I've almost given up my desire to watch this series because of O Ji Ho. But, perhaps I'll give it a chance based on your comments.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://wiki.d-addicts.com/static/images/thumb/c/ca/350px-Fantasycouple.jpg')

I gave up watching Queen of the Game after ep 2 and started watching Fantasy Couple. It's utterly entertaining and funny, I'm surprised few people are talking about this drama in this forum.

From the same writers who gave us My Girl, Fantasy Couple has interesting characters in Anna, who starts off as a haughty, critical, audacious and mean ultra-rich heiress who seems not to have a single kind bone in her body but slowly transforms into a warm, compassionate person who keeps her sharp tongue and straight-talking ways after she loses her memory, status and family; and the child-like Kang Ja who's a delight in her own simple ways. Just expect some predictability in the presence of a former love of Chul Soo, Yoo Kyung, who looks innocent and lovely but utterly manipulative and calculative on the inside. The acting isn't top-notch but it's definitly one of the better k-dramas I've watched in recent memory.
    Last edited by jade_frosts; 01-13-07 at 07:46 AM.

Oh Ji Ho is in a massive scandal in right now. Basically, his heart-broken ex-girlfriend who was a top club hostess(Annual salary : USD 300,000) committed suicide after their break up, and media is blaming Oh Ji Ho for her death, painting him as somebody who used the body and money of a love-starved woman to his advantage, then dumping her when she became a burden to his career after the runaway success of The Fantasy Couple.

Oh Ji Ho is in a massive scandal in right now. Basically, his heart-broken ex-girlfriend who was a top club hostess(Annual salary : USD 300,000) committed suicide after their break up, and media is blaming Oh Ji Ho for her death, painting him as somebody who used the body and money of a love-starved woman to his advantage, then dumping her when she became a burden to his career after the runaway success of The Fantasy Couple.

poor dude...drama drama..life of a movie star..
    ****Love, Live, and watch Asian Series****

i'm going to take your words for it and watch it...

I finished the series last night and I enjoyed it from beginning to end. The chemistry was so cute. I love it, one of the best series I've seen.

I really enjoyed this drama. it's not as good as My Girl but it's watch-able..hhehehe...

The main characters played their part extremely well.

I was impressed with Oh Ji OH's acting. Handsome jack of all trades country boy. OOh La La...

I love Anna in this series....she really makes me laugh when she try to be tough and ---itcy...She was so fluent in English.

Comment : Korea's No. 1 certified plastic beauty, Han Yeosul
    Sorry (?) but Han Yeosul didn't do any surgery excpet teeth. She had to give interview showing real old pics after fake old pics was spreading on net.

This is no fun to read post of people who enjoy themselves with selfmade plastic rumors. But Ok ju-hyun is plastic

i'm not a fan of the male lead (i think he was in super rookie, and i disliked him then) but i really like the female lead. most ppl say that joanna is unbearable in the first couple of eps but then she grows on you... however for me, i loved her attitude in the beginning the most >_< i esp cracked up when she told the Little Mermaid's ending to the little girl on the airplane. that should keep the brat quiet lolz (yep, i'm usually annoyed at little kids on the plane) sometimes i have to admit that she is unnecessarily rude, but a lot of times i feel like it's cuz she's dealing with idiots so she has to be.

Quote Originally Posted by kaasbris
    Sorry (?) but Han Yeosul didn't do any surgery excpet teeth. She had to give interview showing real old pics after fake old pics was spreading on net.

This is no fun to read post of people who enjoy themselves with selfmade plastic rumors. But Ok ju-hyun is plastic
    i was trying to search for that info on the web yesterday..since i like her I want to find out the truth...thank goodness it's all a rumor.

Ok ju-hyun is plastic ????? you mean oh ji oh? did he fix his nose? man, his nose is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDEE
    Ok ju-hyun is plastic ????? you mean oh ji oh? did he fix his nose? man, his nose is nice.
    I meant ex-SES member Ms. Ok ju-hyun. Recently she admitted her plastic surgery, which wasn't surprising though.