Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Demi Gods and Semi Devils '97 《天龙八部》

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    i actually said 'one of the ones' that caused the rift. many of the ones starting from this one louis cha did not like them.

i personally liked most of the tvb adaption. mostly because u recognised everyone and its much shorter. but then if u want faithfulness, u can't go TVB.

hated crimson sabra btw. most horrible adaption ever, even more then the version in the 80's.

as for the 2000 version of hsds. i thought it was ok. i enjoyed it more then the alex su version or any of the others, i think the best one would have to be the taiwan one, it was very gud. and also because i like the main girl in there. forgot her name though.

did you know Diana from Best selling secrets is in the 2000 version?! she was Dai Nhi Thi. the young golden flower grandma. she looked familier but i didn't recognise her to someone mentioned it. another reason to like hsds 2000 now.
    You do remember who is in your avatar and what series it is from.

According to Spcnet's review of DGSD82, she mentions that
    Upon rewatching this series recently though, I have to admit that the plot of the '97 was much more faithful to the plot and flowed a lot quicker.
    From here: http://www.spcnet.tv/TVB-Series/Demi...view-r148.html

I'm sure you got some of the facts mixed up. I don't believe DGSD97 was "one of the ones" Jin Yong disliked.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

could be. i remember it was either this one or flying fox of snowy mountain. since u said tat i'm starting to think it was ffosm.

i believe the 80's version differs alot since it was much longer and had two seperate version, one with just felix character and the other one as a whole story.

my avatar is of Bondy Chiu from DGSD 97. i loved her character in the book and still like her here. i thought Duan Yu should have chosen her, in the thrid edition, she did end up marrying Duan Yu rite?
    Currently in love with Bae Suzy...for superficial reasons.

could be. i remember it was either this one or flying fox of snowy mountain. since u said tat i'm starting to think it was ffosm.

my avatar is of Bondy Chiu from DGSD 97. i loved her character in the book and still like her here. i thought Duan Yu should have chosen her, in the thrid edition, she did end up marrying Duan Yu rite?
    Linda,

Has your writing style always been like this? Maybe it's been a while since I've read your posts, but it seems different i.e. spelling and lack of capitalization. A few years ago, you seem to be a great fan of this adaptation. I'm just curious because you wear Bondy Chiu's Mu WanQing's avatar, but you seem so against this adaptation. You were so adamant that DGSD97 is so unfaithful that caused JY to ban rights, so I thought you dislike the series too. That's all.

I asked Han Solo, local mod of Wuxia Novel Translation and Academia forums. Here is what he had to say:

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo
    Han Solo
    Originally posted on 09-25-08 08:39 AM

It is pretty accurate except for some minor points.

In the show,

1) MRF have 2 servants instead of the 4 in the novel. So some of the characters got compressed.

2) MRF did not meet JMZ until the go meeting, i think; instead of them facing each other in the gusu murong abode.

3) There are many minor characters that was not protrayed such as the accountant that was hiding in DY's family etc, Sword god ZBF only got a cameo.

But all this are minor as i think in general the adaptation follows the spirit of the novel better than the china 2003 DGSD where QF is protrayed as pretty brawny but not brainy enough.

Han Solo
    And here is the thread discussing Jin Yong's ban posted last year.
    http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=18999
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 09-25-08 at 09:23 AM.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

been watching this series a couple of times... has to say it's really good! love Benny and Felix...

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    Linda,

Has your writing style always been like this? Maybe it's been a while since I've read your posts, but it seems different i.e. spelling and lack of capitalization. A few years ago, you seem to be a great fan of this adaptation. I'm just curious because you wear Bondy Chiu's Mu WanQing's avatar, but you seem so against this adaptation. You were so adamant that DGSD97 is so unfaithful that caused JY to ban rights, so I thought you dislike the series too. That's all.
    yes my writing style has changed, since started working i find that if i take the time to write capitals and check spelling too much i'll get caught for it. so i've been slacking off in tat department.

i like bondy chiu's character from the book and then liked her in the series, but i had watched it originally for carman. and she turned me off. i like felix but felt he was too old and his girlfriend was too young. looked like an uncle and niece.

i think i mixed this series up with the flying fox. i didn't like the change they made too some of the characters. although i still enjoyed the series.

i actually like the tvb versions because its short and straight to the point. theres none of those silent pauses like the mainland ones.

but i felt some of the changes was just not rite. but it beats taiwan adaptions hands down.

i'm still peeved from return of the condor heroes and duke of mount deer, taiwan style.

the new condor heroes pissed me off too.
    Currently in love with Bae Suzy...for superficial reasons.

i´ve rewatch some of its episode. Benny and Carman were so cute especially Benny. i still prefer Felix and Lau Kam Ling though. i did watch the 2003 version but i think the cast didn´t fit the roles: all the women were just too young except for Duan Yu´s lovers. it is not realistic that 40+ years old women look like 20 somewhat
    Beautiful and deadly, she is a true descendant of dragon. Fighting for the forces of right and justice, she leaves a series of broken bodies and broken hearts wherever she goes.

Loved Felix! He was so into Kiu Fung mode when he made this. It was like he was made for this role. You cannot find another actor nowadays who is just so well suited to wuxia charaacters. He really had that rugged generous feeling.

I was crying heaps when Ah Chu died and was yelling for Ah Chi to die when she won;t stop bothering Kiu Fung. I wonder if they ever got his body up from the bottom of the cliff. I'd be thought Kiu Fung would have wanted to be buried next to his beloved Ah Chu, and not be corspe-napped by Ah Chi and be stuck with her at the bottom of the cliff.

Yep! HSDS 2000 definately ruined TVB's chances of ever doing Jin Yong stories again. I was spewing blood when i watched it. it was so butchered. I'd rather watch Crimson Sabre over it and that wasn't great either.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    Yep! HSDS 2000 definately ruined TVB's chances of ever doing Jin Yong stories again. I was spewing blood when i watched it. it was so butchered. I'd rather watch Crimson Sabre over it and that wasn't great either.
    I didn't actually watch HSDS 2000 from beginning to the end, just some scenes here and there, and it looked quite good. Apart from having 3 separate men rather than 5, and that bit where Wuji learns the Sacred Fire Tablets arts and gets fire deviation, I didn't really see anything too far from the novel. What else did they change? I mean, Crimson Sabre had some real major plot change in there, so if it's better than HSDS HSDS must have done something horrible. The casting was pretty good - came to a new respect for Gigi Lai, Charmaine Sheh shone in a villanous role (refreshing from all her boring too-good-to-be-true roles) while Lawrence Ng's experience carried the Wuji character quite well, even if we all knew he was really old.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    Linda,

Linda is PJ's alter ego? PJ's decapitalisation virus triggs off when he is taking the piss.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    I thought HSDS acting wise was subpar but otherwise okay, but the production values were horrible as my brother pointed out scene after scene where you can see the wire work.

I really thought Flying Fox of Snowy Mountain 1999 was the last straw (2nd to last nail in the coffin) since the duped the XLN rape scene and changed the story, making HSDS the last chance at redemption.

yes my writing style has changed, since started working i find that if i take the time to write capitals and check spelling too much i'll get caught for it. so i've been slacking off in tat department.

i like bondy chiu's character from the book and then liked her in the series, but i had watched it originally for carman. and she turned me off. i like felix but felt he was too old and his girlfriend was too young. looked like an uncle and niece.

i think i mixed this series up with the flying fox. i didn't like the change they made too some of the characters. although i still enjoyed the series.

i actually like the tvb versions because its short and straight to the point. theres none of those silent pauses like the mainland ones.

but i felt some of the changes was just not rite. but it beats taiwan adaptions hands down.

i'm still peeved from return of the condor heroes and duke of mount deer, taiwan style.

the new condor heroes pissed me off too.
    Taiwan version of Demi Gods and Semi Devils is my fave adaption thus far of this story. It's waaaaayyyy off in the faithful to novel department (after all, two key characters have been merged to one), but it is actually deeper, sweeter, and more romantic then the other version and what I have heard of the novel. I have watched the taiwan version countless times, and still like it. I could only bare the Chinese and TVB versions once (it probably might be b/c I never read the novel and had watched the taiwan version first).
    How come most 江湖 (jiānghú) wanderers never worry about money? I wonder how a 大俠 (dàxiá) make a living...does meddling in people's business and righting wrongs pay well?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    I didn't actually watch HSDS 2000 from beginning to the end, just some scenes here and there, and it looked quite good. Apart from having 3 separate men rather than 5, and that bit where Wuji learns the Sacred Fire Tablets arts and gets fire deviation, I didn't really see anything too far from the novel. What else did they change? I mean, Crimson Sabre had some real major plot change in there, so if it's better than HSDS HSDS must have done something horrible. The casting was pretty good - came to a new respect for Gigi Lai, Charmaine Sheh shone in a villanous role (refreshing from all her boring too-good-to-be-true roles) while Lawrence Ng's experience carried the Wuji character quite well, even if we all knew he was really old.
    Well, my complaints

(1) Dragged out sub-plots, especially the romance department. Way too much time on the island. Yeung Siu is not that powerful - final Shaolin fight against 3 anceint monks made me spew blood. Zhang Wu Ji too powerful. Don't get why an elaborate stage was erected by Ming Sect on Brightness Peak for fighting when they had a huge problem with defenses.

(2) Zhou Zhi Ruo had a happy ending with Song Qing Shu. He was dead and she became a nun to repent her sins in the novel. Basically killed the theme of karma, repentance and punishment. So to help that, they revived Zhu Er but that still doesn't cancel Zhou Zhi Ruo's evilness. She just got amnesia and forgot everything. She never really did repent or feel sorry for other people.

(3) Zhao Min was way too clever and they just repeated that point over and over again. It was like she was psychic or something. They also changed her character and made her talk non-stop. I had no problems with Gigi's expression of emotions, but she had way too many lines to spit out and it ruined the ancient feel of her.

(4) Major casting problems like Zhang 3 Feng, Xiao Zhao etc... There was a lack of chemistry between sub-casts - e.g. 7 WuDang heroes were mainly portrayed as individuals rather than a supportive group (you cannot see any scenes which hightthe bond between these 7 men but you in other adaptions). Everyone was either too old or too young.

(5) Bad costumes. Other than Gigi and Charmaine, everyone else got crap clothes. Lawrence got stuck with dull colours that made him look even more older and tired. Joyce had bad hair. Gigi's Mongolian costume is actually closer to the Tibetan costumes - way too elaborate.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

I finished watching it yesterday.

Throughout the series I never cease being bothered by Felix's beard. And his turban-like headgear, which makes him look too much of a foreigner. Well, Qiao Feng is a foreigner, but there's no need for him to dress like that right off the bat, is there? And what's with the tense expression?

The cheap sets bother me too, but that's my own fault for having already been exposed to Mainland wuxia series with their real-life and stunning sceneries

A Zi is made less of a monster (I vaguely remember how horrid her character is in the 1982 version). Her jumping around makes her seem like Sha-gu sometimes. This You Tanzhi doesn't evoke as much pity as the 1982 actor (or the guy in 2003, I suspect - I'm beginning to take a look at the 2003 version).

I personally don't find the actresses beautiful enough, especially the ones playing the younger characters. They look too modern for a wuxia series, too. It's hard to understand, say, Duan Yu and You Tanzhi's obsessions when the objects of their affection look like any girl you'd see on the street.
    *sits and waits for the actresses' fans to start chucking knives and bombs*

The plot moves quite fast, though it drags at a few points - A Zhu's death scene, for example, takes such a long time to finish. But overall it's decently written. The ending, though, is a little rushed - I don't feel very sad at Qiao Feng's death, and when Murong Fu is revealed to have gone insane, it's A Bi I feel sorry for, since she has to take care of him.

Will probably comment more later.

Quote Originally Posted by leorio View Post
    A Zi is made less of a monster (I vaguely remember how horrid her character is in the 1982 version). Her jumping around makes her seem like Sha-gu sometimes.
    Gods, I couldn't stand Ah Zi.. at least Kitty Chan had the redeeming feature of being very pretty (although yes, she was really really bad, but you could understand why Kam Kok Wai's You Tanzhi was so infatuated). Rain's Ah Zi made me hate her over and over again and I kept wishing she had a painful, horrible death. I could never understand what this You Tanzhi saw in her at all!!!

It was a brilliant portrayal, though... Ah Zi was just totally horrible. The Ah Zi I felt a lot of sympathy for was Chen Hao's in TLBB 03. It wasn't a brilliant adaptation but Ah Zi was one of the highlights for me.. even if she wasn't as dislikeable as she should have been.

I personally don't find the actresses beautiful enough, especially the ones playing the younger characters. They look too modern for a wuxia series, too. It's hard to understand, say, Duan Yu and You Tanzhi's obsessions when the objects of their affection look like any girl you'd see on the street.
    Carmen Lee looks like any girl you'd see on the street?
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Gods, I couldn't stand Ah Zi.. at least Kitty Chan had the redeeming feature of being very pretty (although yes, she was really really bad, but you could understand why Kam Kok Wai's You Tanzhi was so infatuated). Rain's Ah Zi made me hate her over and over again and I kept wishing she had a painful, horrible death. I could never understand what this You Tanzhi saw in her at all!!!
    Kitty Chan is very pretty. I've never seen her cast as an entirely sympathetic character though. Her Lu Wushuang is IMO more bratty and possessive than in the novel. And I don't remember her Lan Fenghuang.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Carmen Lee looks like any girl you'd see on the street?
    Guilty of exaggeration as charged. What I meant is she doesn't strike me as a person who's so strikingly beautiful that a man would be as infatuated as Duan Yu is. Again, personal taste.

Kitty Chan is very pretty. I've never seen her cast as an entirely sympathetic character though. Her Lu Wushuang is IMO more bratty and possessive than in the novel. And I don't remember her Lan Fenghuang.
    She has always had these kind of wild, naughty roles. Even her Yip Ling in Luk Siu Fung's Phantom Mansion and her Ling Er in Romantic Swordsman were not beautiful roles, but more young girl roles - Yip Ling was a bit scary and scheming, while Ling Er was, for lack of a better word, boring. Her Zhu Jiuzhen wasn't particularly sweet either - probably because she's so good at giving that evil eye. When she's portraying a soft spoken character you always feel that there's something more evil inside behind the mask... =) She was also not very tall, iirc, which might have limited her potential as a lead actress with better screentime.

She was very pretty, though, and I do wish she had at least a single nice role to be remembered by.

probably because she's so good at giving that evil eye.
    Which is probably way her A Zi is the cruellest and most obsessed with Qiao Feng. (It doesn't help that 1982's You Tanzhi is the most pathetic-looking. 1997's looks too much like a well-fed office worker of the 20th century) In 1997 and 2003, it seems A Zi spends more time fangirling over him than declaring her love.

More comments:

Felix is quite expressive and dignified - there's really no need for that beard, like I said. Bryan is probably the kindest-looking Qiao Feng, if only he were taller Hu Jun is badass, though it took me awhile to get used to his acting.

I can safely say that Benny is my favorite Duan Yu. His Duan Yu may be a bit too hyperactive, but he's rarely boring. Kent is too naive sometimes, Jimmy is a little too casual and his acting skills are below Kent and Benny's.

Terry is also a little hyperactive - Gao Hu is more natural. Though personally, I think Terry's appearance resembles Xu Zhu's physical descriptions in the novel the most
    And why are all Xu Zhu actors so big? Is it because they'd have to carry Tianshan Tonglao cross-country?

What TVB lacks in technical aspects (sets, costumes, etc.) they compensate with overall actor chemistry. Naturally there isn't as much chemistry here as in those 1980's series, but it's still pretty good.

Cecilia Wong will always be the most beautiful A Zhu and Zhong Ling for me. He Meitian's Zhong Ling is actually cute and very little sister-ly.

The best Kang Min...Shirley? She looks like a "madame", rarely loses her cool, and her cruelty is just chilling. Her acting style might be too old-school for some viewers, however.
    Last edited by leorio; 04-19-10 at 06:32 AM.

I can safely say that Benny is my favorite Duan Yu. His Duan Yu may be a bit too hyperactive, but he's rarely boring. Kent is too naive sometimes, Jimmy is a little too casual and his acting skills are below Kent and Benny's.
    Agreed. Benny was great as Duan Yu. He's the highlight of the show, for me. In the book, is he supposed to be a dull character? I thought Jimmy smiled too much, even during critical moments. Can't comment on Kent since I haven't watched his version.