Thread: Lesser/weaker martial arts techniques that you like

Default Lesser/weaker martial arts techniques that you like

We often talk about the most powerful martial arts in wuxia fiction, but what are some lesser/weaker martial arts that you like just because, in their own way, they're also cool? These are martial arts that won't enable the user to compete with the elites, but are nevertheless fun to watch in action.

I enjoy the Bone-Dissolving Palm (Huagu Mianzhang) practiced in DUKE OF MOUNT DEER by either Eunuch Hai Dafu or by the fake empress dawger.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

two swordstyles that can be combined to make a duo: yuen kei and yuen yuen. how powerful they are, i don't know, but they certainly aren't talked about. no LYS fans here. :P

Luo Ying Shen Jian Zhang. Like how the palm moves are from sword techniques, man and sword as one.

I also like Bai Hong Zhang just for the unusual name even though I don't think we ever actually hear any description of it :P

hmm... I would say 7 injury punches (from HSDS) this move is quite powerful once fully developed if you have the necessary internal energy to not injure yourself in the process..and it just looks so cool in the adaptations XD

Seven Stances Of The Startled Dragon Depraving Life

or

Travelling On Clouds, Bestowing Rain And The Phoenix Dances Through The Ninth Heaven

:]

I like the sword art of Snow Mountain Sect. It can draw a flower on a surface with one move. Pretty cool.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Chung Ling Sword Stances.

The martial art that Cheung Chui San used to carve the Heaven Sword, Dragon Sabre poem onto the face of Mt. Wong Poon was pretty nifty, but he never used it in a combat situation. I wonder how it'd fare in a fight?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    The martial art that Cheung Chui San used to carve the Heaven Sword, Dragon Sabre poem onto the face of Mt. Wong Poon was pretty nifty, but he never used it in a combat situation. I wonder how it'd fare in a fight?
    He did; against Quan Jiannan from Korea at the foot of Mount Wudang in Chapter 9. Zhang Cuishan used the fourteenth stroke of the character "Long" [龍 / 龙], catching the Fengshi acupoint on Quan Jiannan's right leg. Then, Zhang used the last stroke of the character "Feng" [鋒 / 锋], striking all of Quan's acupoints along the Du Channel. After that, Quan thought: I give up! Even if he was a statue of wood and clay, I would not have been able to hit so many acupoints in a single stroke. I am not even fit to be his (Zhang's) student!
    Last edited by HuangYushi; 11-04-06 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Added Chinese characters in Traditional Script.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

maybe....the Purple Twilight Art from SPW.
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出“一阳指”功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚
    此时一灯大师的“一阳指”功夫实已到了登峰造极、炉火纯青的地步,指上发出的那股罡气似是温淳平和,但沛然浑厚,无可与抗

Tao Hua Luo Ying Zhang.
    Just because the name of the skill sounds so poetic to me and it is used by Huang Rong .

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi
    He did; against Quan Jiannan from Korea at the foot of Mount Wudang in Chapter 9.
    And 10 years before that, against the Shaolin external disciples and monks.

I think it was a great work by JY. Coolness factor of Yi Tian and Tu Long x 10^2342, even before we knew what those weapons actually are. For a while (in my 1st read) I thought the Dragon Sabre couldn't possibly contain anything better than that Yi Tian Tu Long kungfu that ZSF came up with. Too bad it died with ZCS. Would've been great to see ZWJ perform it with 9 Yang power (although the problem is that ZWJ's caligraphy skill is not good enough).

Tao Hua Luo Ying Zhang is another beautiful one. I love how JY described Huang Rong's hands and fingers as she performed it in both LOCH and ROCH.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by RongYingMin
    Tao Hua Luo Ying Zhang.
    Just because the name of the skill sounds so poetic to me and it is used by Huang Rong .
    That is actually a Great kung fu. I think it is Huang Yaoshi's 2nd or 3rd best skill. Which is amazing.

I can't think of any 2nd teir kung fu that could be used for healing purposes...
    Burying his Dugu 9 Jian manual under an epitaph, Dugu Qiubai felt he has left his legacy for the next generation. He then moved to Shaolin to study Buddhism, sweep floors and tap elite fighters.

I like "Walking on Heaven's Staircase" that GJ used
    爱是最最奇幻的魔术
    让人都要对它趋之若鹜
    这场魔术都是要结束
    真爱是箭在弦上不认输

Quote Originally Posted by Candide
    Tao Hua Luo Ying Zhang is another beautiful one. I love how JY described Huang Rong's hands and fingers as she performed it in both LOCH and ROCH.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardor
    That is actually a Great kung fu. I think it is Huang Yaoshi's 2nd or 3rd best skill. Which is amazing.
    I can't think of any 2nd teir kung fu that could be used for healing purposes...
    I bet Tao Hua Luo Ying Zhang is the most beautiful kung fu name in JY's universe.
    In LOCH there are 2 great poetic sentences of Huang Yaoshi about this skill:

Tao Hua Ying Luo Fei Shen Jian
    Bi Hai Chao Shing Nong Yu Xiao.

Only could the kung fu skill Tian Shan Zhe Mei Shu of Tian Shan Tonglao come closely to this Huang Yaoshi's, in terms of name. But Tian Shen Zhe Mei seemed to lack a bit daintiness compared to Tao Hua Luo Ying.

I don't think Tao Hua Luo Ying Zhang is a Great kung fu, it can't compare to HL18P, Yiyang Finger, or Toad Palm.

Feng Bo'e's "Lu Dongbin Bites Dog" from TLBB Chapter 14. I just find the name funny, not to mention that the practice of it apparently involved him biting 1,800 dogs. (Perhaps 100 for every year of Lu's dream?)

Ah yes, that is a good one too. Shang Tian Te. "Stairway to Heaven"