Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did Yeung Gor ever find out anything about his grandparents?

Default Did Yeung Gor ever find out anything about his grandparents?

Until the end of ROCH, Yeung Gor hardly knew anything about his father...mainly because those who had known Yeung Hong during LOCH were too embarrassed by that turn of events to tell Yeung Gor about his father. Finally, Yeung Gor did find out more about Yeung Hong than he wanted to know, but it did give him closure to that issue.

From start to finish in ROCH, however, I don't know if anybody ever mentioned the name "Yeung Teet Sum" to Yeung Gor. Did Yeung Gor know whom his grandfather was? Did he know of the ordeal that his grandparents experienced, which in turn led to the demise of his father? Did he know that he was the descendant of a heroic lineage?

Yeah old blind man Ke told him everything from the start.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    Yeah old blind man Ke told him everything from the start.
    I thought that Ohr Jen Ngok started (and finished) with the night at Iron Spear Temple when Yeung Hong bought the farm. Ohr did mention that Yeung Hong had caused the death of his own parents in passing, but nothing more detailed than that. I don't think that to his dying day, Yeung Gor ever found out that his grandfather was named Yeung Teet Sum, and was a minor patriotic hero of renowned lineage.

I think he only got to confirm that his dad was a jerk.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    I think he only got to confirm that his dad was a jerk.
    There's so much more that Yeung Gor needed to know to understand how and why his father ended up like that, but nobody ever, ever bothered to tell him.

I've never been much of a Yeung Gor fan, but this is one thing that really bothers me: his elders really let him down here. They should have told him EVERYTHING. If they couldn't tell him when he was young, then they should surely have told him after he had matured. Everybody just kind of blew it off, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    There's so much more that Yeung Gor needed to know to understand how and why his father ended up like that, but nobody ever, ever bothered to tell him.

I've never been much of a Yeung Gor fan, but this is one thing that really bothers me: his elders really let him down here. They should have told him EVERYTHING. If they couldn't tell him when he was young, then they should surely have told him after he had matured. Everybody just kind of blew it off, though.
    I don't believe Ke Zhen E tellls him anything about his grandparents, nor do GJ and HR, so you're right - he never gets to know what happened to make his father become such a hated person.

He's actually fortunate that no one other than HR holds his father's actions against him, or his life would have been a lot more difficult.

But really, it surprises me to find out that a lot of people in real life don't know anything about their grandparents if those grandparents died before the person was born. I guess no one ever found the right moment to tell YG about his family history.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

Gwok Jing's generation seems to be particularly bad about educating its descendents about their grandparents' generation. Not only was Yeung Gor completely ignorant of Yeung Teet Sum's life history, but I somehow doubt that Gwok Fu, Gwok Seung, and Gwok Por Lo knew much about their grandfather, Gwok Siu Teen. Ancestry means *everything* to the Chinese. How could the Yeungs and Gwoks of the Yeung Gor/Gwok Seung generation be kept so in the dark about their ancestry?

^Well I doubt Guo Jing knew much about his father since all he ever got was he was a great man etc from Li Ping. Like, it was all praise, not so much life history, so I don't think Guo Jing ever knew anything significant about his father's life aside from his death. Besides, with a dad like GJ who totally overshadows GXT, what do GF, GX, GPL care?! (jk...kind of)

You're definitely right that Chinese are all about ancestry (I can relate LOL GET IT RELATE? ANCESTRY? [I'm sorry it was a bad pun]) but for some reason I don't think the Guo's cared too much (I'm not sure Guo Jing knows he's descended from Guo Sheng), and I think it'd be a worse blow for YG to know that he comes from a line of great noble patriots...until his own father.

Quote Originally Posted by smrter_v View Post
    ^Well I doubt Guo Jing knew much about his father since all he ever got was he was a great man etc from Li Ping. Like, it was all praise, not so much life history, so I don't think Guo Jing ever knew anything significant about his father's life aside from his death. Besides, with a dad like GJ who totally overshadows GXT, what do GF, GX, GPL care?! (jk...kind of)

You're definitely right that Chinese are all about ancestry (I can relate LOL GET IT RELATE? ANCESTRY? [I'm sorry it was a bad pun]) but for some reason I don't think the Guo's cared too much (I'm not sure Guo Jing knows he's descended from Guo Sheng), and I think it'd be a worse blow for YG to know that he comes from a line of great noble patriots...until his own father.
    I think Li Ping would have drilled some family history into Guo Jing, at least as much as she knew. He probably did know about his ancestors, and he probably passed that knowledge on to his children. There just isn't any good reason for JY to mention it.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

I think it was indicated that Guo Fu knew about Guo Xiao Tian/ Yang Tie Xin generation when Guo Jing angrily confronted Guo Fu about cutting off YG's arm. "You knew that Guo'er's grandfather and your grandfather were as close as blood brothers. His father and your father were sworn brothers. I'm sure you are well aware of this point..." etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Gwok Jing's generation seems to be particularly bad about educating its descendents about their grandparents' generation. Not only was Yeung Gor completely ignorant of Yeung Teet Sum's life history, but I somehow doubt that Gwok Fu, Gwok Seung, and Gwok Por Lo knew much about their grandfather, Gwok Siu Teen. Ancestry means *everything* to the Chinese. How could the Yeungs and Gwoks of the Yeung Gor/Gwok Seung generation be kept so in the dark about their ancestry?
    Last edited by munianci; 06-28-10 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sniffles View Post
    I think Li Ping would have drilled some family history into Guo Jing, at least as much as she knew. He probably did know about his ancestors, and he probably passed that knowledge on to his children. There just isn't any good reason for JY to mention it.
    Li Ping wouldn't have taught Guo Jing much of his family history. IIRC she didn't even know her husband was named Xiaotian, but only knew he was surnamed Guo and she called him Xiao-ge.

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    Li Ping wouldn't have taught Guo Jing much of his family history. IIRC she didn't even know her husband was named Xiaotian, but only knew he was surnamed Guo and she called him Xiao-ge.
    She must have known his full name since they had a little tablet in their tent. When Yang Tiexin, under the guise of Mu Yi, asked Guo Jing what his father's name was he also answered "My father's name was Xiaotian". I'm not sure if she told him about his ancestry all the way back to Guo Sheng of the Water Margin, but he definitely knew his father.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    She must have known his full name since they had a little tablet in their tent. When Yang Tiexin, under the guise of Mu Yi, asked Guo Jing what his father's name was he also answered "My father's name was Xiaotian". I'm not sure if she told him about his ancestry all the way back to Guo Sheng of the Water Margin, but he definitely knew his father.
    Chapter 4 - Twin Killers of the Dark Winds:
    Because Li Ping knew that in such a desolate and remote place as the
    Steppe, any moment could bring with it many dangers. She knew that her
    chances of ever returning to China were nearly non existent. If
    something should happen to her suddenly, her son would never know the
    name of his mortal enemy, and that would not do. She had long ago told
    her son, over and over again, the name and appearance of Duan Tiande.
    She was an illiterate farm girl and had always called her husband
    ‘Xiao-Ge’. She had heard other people call him ‘Brother Guo’ but had
    never cared about what her husband’s real name was. This was why Guo
    Jing had only ever known his father to be his ‘dad’ and did not know
    that he had other names.

Guo Jing probably got his family history from the Freaks, and later Qiu Chuji. And of course, from Yang Tiexin.

That was so dumb... how could someone marry and have a kid without ever knowing the spouse's name? >_>
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Chapter 4 - Twin Killers of the Dark Winds:
    Because Li Ping knew that in such a desolate and remote place as the
    Steppe, any moment could bring with it many dangers. She knew that her
    chances of ever returning to China were nearly non existent. If
    something should happen to her suddenly, her son would never know the
    name of his mortal enemy, and that would not do. She had long ago told
    her son, over and over again, the name and appearance of Duan Tiande.
    She was an illiterate farm girl and had always called her husband
    ‘Xiao-Ge’. She had heard other people call him ‘Brother Guo’ but had
    never cared about what her husband’s real name was. This was why Guo
    Jing had only ever known his father to be his ‘dad’ and did not know
    that he had other names.

Guo Jing probably got his family history from the Freaks, and later Qiu Chuji. And of course, from Yang Tiexin.
    Thanks for the headsup - yeah, I forgot that the Freaks knew his father's name too, and would most definitely have told him the whole story. The tablet was probably just a TVB prop anyway =)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    Thanks for the headsup - yeah, I forgot that the Freaks knew his father's name too, and would most definitely have told him the whole story. The tablet was probably just a TVB prop anyway =)
    I think there was a tablet in the 2003 adaptation as well, even before they met the Freaks. Which would be wrong, as even if Li Ping knew her husband's full name, she was still illiterate. The Guo (Li?) household was a bit more prosperous than I'd imagined it to be as well, with a mud house roofed with timber (in the steppe?), and a collection of sheep and a horse-drawn cart. The 2003 Li Ping certainly did more than scratch out a living.

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

guo jing learned about his father's name and heritage from the seven freaks. mu nianchi did not know of her foster fathers heritage since he was living under a false name but she knew that his family skills were the yang family spear and she had learnt it. it's likely she taught it to YG since she also taught him the basics of HQG's martial arts and likely the carefree strider's boxing. through neither of those skills were exceptional skills. mastering those only puts you at the level of a beggar sect one pouch disciple at best.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    That was so dumb... how could someone marry and have a kid without ever knowing the spouse's name? >_>
    LoL!!!! Especially when both spouses speak the same language. In truth, I've met lots of couples that can't really verbally communicate because neither spouses speak each others native language...but they still manage...guess you don't really need to talk. However Li Ping and Guo Xiao Tian is different...Li Ping seemed like a really simple woman [illiterate farm girl n all] and maybe that's how Guo Xiao Tian liked it?
    I like me.

I think there was a tablet in the 2003 adaptation as well, even before they met the Freaks. Which would be wrong, as even if Li Ping knew her husband's full name, she was still illiterate. The Guo (Li?) household was a bit more prosperous than I'd imagined it to be as well, with a mud house roofed with timber (in the steppe?), and a collection of sheep and a horse-drawn cart. The 2003 Li Ping certainly did more than scratch out a living.
    The 2003 Li Ping had the best deathscene of all the others I've seen, though. The only one which made me cry. Her rendition of those classic lines which Jin Yong wrote, drawing parallels between GJ and YK's foreign loyalties, was really good, and Li Yapeng's tearful "Niang, wo bu hui de!!!" really touched my heart.

I loved the Hu Ge version's Li Ping (2008?) very much, though, especially with all those added scenes between her and Huang Rong (even though she was a bit fiercer than I expected) and I was so disappointed her death scene was cut short without those last words.

Li Ping was an amazing woman and a great mother. Maybe not the brightest of wives, but she would never need to address her husband by his full name anyway (not unless he got caught doing something naughty and she stares him down with hands on hips yelling "GUO... XIAO....TIAN!!!") =)

At the Iron Spear Temple scene post-16-years with Ke Zhen E and the Jin flunkies, I think Ke Zhen E did tell Yang Guo that Wanyan Honglie ordered the massacre of the Yang and Guo families to steal his grandmother. So his father was raised as a Jin prince.