Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Which is the most excruciatingly painful miscast in TV adaption history?

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    Maybe RongYingMin feels that Au Yeung Pui San is not beautiful enough to play the most beautiful woman in the Condor Trilogy.
    Even if RongYinMin has such an opinion, I still think Au Yeung Pui San's acting skills compensate more than enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung
    Frankly, You irk me because I can never find anything you say agreeable.

Susanna Au Yeung Pui San was a great Huang Rong in ROCH upon appearance/costume and acting. I can not see how she could EVER be considered a miscast.

Can't determine who is worst? Hah! Rubbish! Rubbish, I say!
    Suet Seung, I guess that you haven't ever read the novel ROCH.

1. If I guess it RIGHT:
    I think you should give yourself some weekends for reading it, writing down in some papers all the descriptive passages of the mature Huang Rong, and comparing them to the looks/acting of the actresses having acted in the role of Huang Rong so far. Then you can see that none of those actresses is a perfect match for this role.

2. If I guess it WRONG:
    OK, 'everyone to his/her taste', I think you know this saying. You can think that Susanna Ouyang is pretty good, but IMO, she is not beautiful enough.

3. After all:
    Anyway, it cannot be denied that Ouyang Peishan had a relatively good portrayal in ROCH 95 n the topic of this thread is who is the most excruciatingly painful miscast in TV adaptation history. So I'm SORRY for implying that up to now, all the Huang Rongs in ROCH adaptations are identical miscasts.
    I should have said:
    - Up to now, all the Huang Rongs in ROCH adaptations, except for Ouyang Peishan's Huang Rong, are miscasts. However, Ouyang Peishan is not beautiful enough to be a perfect mature Huang Rong.
    instead.

All the possible cases were presented above. Now I rest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thai guy
    I totally agree with many opinions above. I cannot see how you categorise Au Yeung Pui San as a "miscast" one. Have you seen her portrayal of mature Huang Rong at all?
    See my reply above.
    Quote Originally Posted by Senior Master kidd
    Maybe RongYingMin feels that Au Yeung Pui San is not beautiful enough to play the most beautiful woman in the Condor Trilogy.
    No, you're wrong Senior Master, in my opinion, Huang Rong is not the most beautiful, she is just one of the three most beautiful women (HR, XLN n ZM) in the Condor Trilogy.

@ Other:
    - Zhou Xun is not beautiful enough (debatable), young enough, her voice is not clear enough too.

Quote Originally Posted by RongYingMin
    Suet Seung, I guess that you haven't ever read the novel ROCH.

Anyway, it cannot be denied that Ouyang Peishan had a relatively good portrayal in ROCH 95 n the topic of this thread is who is the most excruciatingly painful miscast in TV adaptation history. So I'm SORRY for implying that up to now, all the Huang Rongs in ROCH adaptations are identical miscasts.
    I should have said.
    You're mistaken, Susanna Au Yeung Pui San was never in ROCH95, she was in the 1983 adaptation with Andy Lau and Idy Chan.

Seems you've never seen this adaptation.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.myangelgarden.net/jinyong/condor2/1983-2/077.jpg')

And later in ROCH Post-16 years
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.myangelgarden.net/jinyong/condor2/1983-2/167.jpg')
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 12-06-06 at 12:47 AM.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

1. If I guess it RIGHT:
    I think you should give yourself some weekends for reading it, writing down in some papers all the descriptive passages of the mature Huang Rong, and comparing them to the looks/acting of the actresses having acted in the role of Huang Rong so far. Then you can see that none of those actresses is a perfect match for this role.

2. If I guess it WRONG:
    OK, 'everyone to his/her taste', I think you know this saying. You can think that Susanna Ouyang is pretty good, but IMO, she is not beautiful enough.
    See? I guess it right. It's all about beauty and looks when it comes to RongYingMin.

3. After all:
    I should have said:
    - Up to now, all the Huang Rongs in ROCH adaptations, except for Ouyang Peishan's Huang Rong, are miscasts. However, Ouyang Peishan is not beautiful enough to be a perfect mature Huang Rong.
    Au Yeung Pui Shan was not in ROCH 95.
    No, you're wrong Senior Master, in my opinion, Huang Rong is not the most beautiful, she is just one of the three most beautiful women (HR, XLN n ZM) in the Condor Trilogy.
    Doesn't matter. You are still all about level of beauty and that's my point.
    Last edited by kidd; 12-06-06 at 12:43 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by CC
    The reason why nobody *****es about the 70s/80s actors/actresses as 'miscasts' is that they were often the first impression we got of the characters (i.e. before we read the books) and so it sticks as how 'it should be'.

Maybe if Jimmy Lin was the first person we ever watched to play say Ximen Chuixue and we never read about Ximen before, we just might think he is the most suited Ximen and Damien Lau sucks.
    I beg to differ. The first Yang Guo i saw was Richie Ren, and i still think Huang Xiao Ming is better, still by no means good.
    Burying his Dugu 9 Jian manual under an epitaph, Dugu Qiubai felt he has left his legacy for the next generation. He then moved to Shaolin to study Buddhism, sweep floors and tap elite fighters.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardor
    I beg to differ. The first Yang Guo i saw was Richie Ren, and i still think Huang Xiao Ming is better, still by no means good.
    Ouch, poor you. You might wanna go back and watch either ROCH 83 or 95. I personally think 83 is the best version, follow by 95.
    Last edited by Yeung Gor; 12-06-06 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeung Gor
    Ouch, poor you. You might wanna go back and watch either ROCH 83 or 95.
    I'll stick to the novel where Yang Guo is actually a pleasant character.
    Burying his Dugu 9 Jian manual under an epitaph, Dugu Qiubai felt he has left his legacy for the next generation. He then moved to Shaolin to study Buddhism, sweep floors and tap elite fighters.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardor
    I'll stick to the novel where Yang Guo is actually a pleasant character.
    I don't blame you, considering you have such a bad start.

DFBB in CCTV edition. I forget the actor's name, but it's absolutely horrible.

Lin Qingxia (the TaiWan actress) did the best in playing DFBB.

Quote Originally Posted by sandy32
    DFBB in CCTV edition. I forget the actor's name, but it's absolutely horrible.

Lin Qingxia (the TaiWan actress) did the best in playing DFBB.
    DFBB is not supposed to be hot.

In LOCH adaptations, Zhou Xun and Barbara Wong were not suitable.
    - In ROCH adaptations, all actresses in Huang Rong's role were miscasts.
    I thought Barbara's HR was great b/c she really brought HR to life. Granted, she wasn't pretty enough (but who really is when you compare it to the novel as JY made all his main female characters beautiful beyond the mortal world?). Also, HR is well known for her intelligence and I thought Barbara portrayed that aspect really well.

There is no doubt that Au Yeung Pui San in ROCH 83 also did a great job. If you had never seen that version, I highly suggest you watch it. I thought for a mature HR, she was pretty enough and her acting should be more than enough to compensate for anything else.

Au Yeung Pui San as older Huang Rong. The reason I find Au Yeung Pui San to be the most suitable older Huang Rong is because she has the intelligent and sharp look. Coupled with her good acting, she really is the best older Huang Rong. And I think she looks beautiful.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.susannaauyeung.com/Drama/83ROCH/DramaPic/ROCH66.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.sc.xinhuanet.com/content/2006-05/10/xin_000503101419527902248.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://top.ce.cn/zymf/ys/200610/17/W020061017587277911885.jpg')
    Last edited by kidd; 12-06-06 at 11:49 AM.

DFBB is not supposed to be hot.
    Lin QingXia was not hot. The DFBB she acted looked like a person between male and female. That's DFBB's characteristic.
    E'Mei Mountain is an amazing place.

Au Yeung Pui San as older Huang Rong. The reason I find Au Yeung Pui San to be the most suitable older Huang Rong is because she has the intelligent and sharp look. Coupled with her good acting, she really is the best older Huang Rong. And I think she looks beautiful.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.susannaauyeung.com/Drama/83ROCH/DramaPic/ROCH66.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.sc.xinhuanet.com/content/2006-05/10/xin_000503101419527902248.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://top.ce.cn/zymf/ys/200610/17/W020061017587277911885.jpg')
    No offense to her fans, but that woman really does not look beautiful at all. Maybe her acting got you guys all mesmerized, which is good on her part, and maybe she does a 180 on screen, but in those pictures, I fail to see any beauty.

Well, we have to account that makeup in the 80's were crap. I thought she was very pretty in the Bund.
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

back in the 80's i wonder how tony leung would have fared if he were given the rold of yang gor or if andy were given ZWJ
    Formerly DuGu Qiu Bai

Quote Originally Posted by Allen D
    back in the 80's i wonder how tony leung would have fared if he were given the rold of yang gor or if andy were given ZWJ
    i always though tony leung had trouble portraying characters with "dark intentions" (just watched 2046 last night again, and I just kinda felt bad for him instead of getting mad at his character for being a womanizer) so I think his Yang Guo would come out more toned down. as for Andy as ZWJ, I think he would make ZWJ seem more witty and energetic with things to hide instead of open and honest.

I just remembered another one - Bie Xue Jian (with Charmaigne Sheh as Ah Ngau princess of last Ming emperor). I am not sure who was miscast because it ended up very painful for me to watch - so long and boring....

Quote Originally Posted by smurf120

I just remembered another one - Bie Xue Jian (with Charmaigne Sheh as Ah Ngau princess of last Ming emperor). I am not sure who was miscast because it ended up very painful for me to watch - so long and boring....

BXJ was BAD, the one you are talking about. I think Charmaine, Sarah Au, and GOrdon was miscasts.
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

Chu Tit Wo was crap as AYF 94 - he acted like a rash barabarian when AYF was supposed to be calm and cool! No one can challenge my Yeung Chak Lum!

Lok Ying Kwun is bad as HYS, no expression and the make up si crap.

But the most excruitiating painful miscast ever must be So Hang Shuen (woman who played Kwok Jing's mum in LOCh 83) as the Er Hua Princess in 1978's version fo "Juet Doi Sheung Giu". Yao Yue is the most beautiful and elegant woman in the world, but So Hang Suen is very plain and I understand Gong Fung for not choosing her! It makes me angry everytime i see it!
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

It may be that most directors and producers are idiots when it comes to casting parts.