Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hwangjini Review

Thumbs up Hwangjini Review

Title : Hwangjini

Cast : Ha Ji Won - Hangjini
    Kim Jae Won - Minister Kim

Synopse : The life story of a legendary geisha.

Impressions : Billed as Daejangguem killer, the show does not dissapoint. The screen is colorful and the pace is not draggy, as the show was expressively designed with foreign markets in mind and is only 24 episodes long. The question is, will non-Korean viewers accept another career-based historical drama? In many ways, Hangjini adopts Daejanggeum formula, yet there are differences. Janggeum in Daejanguem was graceful, quite and self restraining; Hwangjini on the other hand is arrogant and is angry, who lives to humiliate rich and powerful men who fall to kiss her feet and to take a vengence on her teacher who took her first love away. So will non-Korean viewers accept an angry and arrogant femme fatale as the female lead?

Overall, the show is well-produced; dress designs are a cut-above seen in Daejangeum and actresses do their dance routines really well. Production-quality wise viewers will not be dissapointed.

A bad point was that there was a supporting character who was much more attractive than the lead actress. Accordingly she was stealing all the attention from viewers while Ha Ji Won's Hwangjini was left out in the cold. The solution? Kill the character off quickly. This left a bad taste in the mouth of viewers.

Don't miss it.

I'm on episode 1o and so loving it.....it's pretty interesting.
    ****Love, Live, and watch Asian Series****

wait...so the other power hungry girl dies? oooo interesting! I'm on episode 11 and it always ends with surprising events!

wait...so the other power hungry girl dies?
    No, that one lives and triumps over Hwangjini at the end.

Default Hwang Jin Yi - 2006

I really love Eun-Ho's (Young Master) and Hwang Jin Yi's relationship. He's so adorable and cute . That was what kept me watching. Although, it's a really sad drama. I hope Jang Geun Suk will have more dramas coming up. I just love him . Ha Ji Won has actually receive a couple award with Jang Geun Suk. Not only does this drama have beautiful scenes, but also enjoyable songs. I dislike the ending however and it got bored in the middle after she became lost between love or
    art.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/7161/post4672901161060740rb9.jpg')

Infos found at Dramawiki.
    http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Hwang_Jin_Yi

Details

* Title: 황진이 (黃眞伊) / Hwang Jini(Hwang Jin Yi)
    * Genre: Period-Traditional Drama
    * Episodes: 24
    * Broadcast network: KBS2
    * Broadcast period: 2006-Oct-11 to 2006-Dec-28
    * Air time: Wednesdays & Thursdays 21:55
    * Ratings: 20.1% (pilot)

Synopsis

The story of Hwang Jin Yi, the famous 16th century Gisaeng.

This story sheds new light on the life of Joseon-era dancer, musician and poet Hwang Jin Yi, who made her art blossom even when her love was put to test. The series also depicts the tragic life of a woman who faces hardships due to her social status. The drama drew the spotlight even before its premiere because Hwang Jin Yi is portrayed by top actress Ha Ji Won. Meanwhile, Wang Bit Na portrays another prominent dancer of the same era who is jealous of Hwang Jin Yi’s artistic talent. The role of nobleman Kim Eun Ho, Hwang Jin Yi’s first love who dies because their love turns out unrealistic due to differences in their social status, is played by Jang Geun Suk, while king’s relative Byuk Kye Soo, who becomes addicted to Hwang Jin Yi but fails to win her heart, is played by Yoo Tae Jun. Actor Lee Shi Hwan portrays Yi Saeng, an ambivalent character who is neither Hwang Jin Yi’s lover nor friend. Kim Young Ae plays the role of dancing girls’ trainer, while Kim Bo Yeon portrays her rival, Mae-hyang. The role of dancer Heon-keum, Hwang Jin Yi's mother who gave birth to her as a result of her belief that love only comes once in a lifetime, is portrayed by Jun Mi Sun.

Cast

* Ha Ji Won as Hwang Jin Yi
    * Kim Jae Won as Kim Jung Han
    * Kim Young Ae as Yim Baek Moo
    * Wang Bit Na as Bu Yong
    * Yoo Tae Joon as Byuk Kye Soo
    * Jang Geun Suk as Kim Eun Ho
    - currently watching: Fashion King, Rooftop Prince, Love Rain, and Equator Man-
    - recent favorite drama: The Princess's Man
    -

i really did enjoyed this series..i love Ha Ji Won..I think she 's a really great actress.

The ending got me kinda lost.

Tell me, did she re4ally love Kim Jae Won?

I think there's a thread on this already. But where is Kim Jae Won in this drama? What role does he play?
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

There was a thread for this series before but someone already deleted , i think.

Kim Jae Won played a pretty important part in Jini's life but for some reason they don't mention that on some synopsis...They don't show his picture that much neither..

SPOILER alert: He was her lover when she got older..they lived as husband and wife..

Quote Originally Posted by CanDEE
    i really did enjoyed this series..i love Ha Ji Won..I think she 's a really great actress.

IMO I think she did and she still does love KJW, but she just was more into her art and dancing. Although on my perspective, I think she loved Eun-Ho [Young Master] more than KJW.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by CanDEE
    The series is written by a feminist writer with a feminist agenda. While 90% of script writers are women, few are as feministic as this particular problematic writer was. This is why this version of Hwangjini is an angry woman who gets off humiliating men. You will see the difference when comparing this drama with the forthcoming movie version.

Not sure. She loved her art more.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.hankyung.com/photo/200703/200703262533a_2007032648341.jpg')
    The movie version has a more graceful Hwangjini starring Song Hye Gyo
    Last edited by JonDoe; 04-14-07 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight_zero36 View Post
    IMO I think she did and she still does love KJW, but she just was more into her art and dancing. Although on my perspective, I think she loved Eun-Ho [Young Master] more than KJW.
    Yeah, she loved Kim Jae Won, but she chose not to live with him because she didn't want to take away his ambition for the country and at the same time she didn't want to lose her love for art. In my opinion, I think she loved Kim Jae Won more than the young master because the part where she was at the pond( where the young master proposed to her), she threw away the ring that he gave her and apologized to him for giving her heart to Kim Jae Won and that her love for Kim Jae Won was deeper than for the young master. So yeah, I think she loved Kim Jae Won more.

Quote Originally Posted by baby1talk View Post
    Yeah, she loved Kim Jae Won, but she chose not to live with him because she didn't want to take away his ambition for the country and at the same time she didn't want to lose her love for art. In my opinion, I think she loved Kim Jae Won more than the young master because the part where she was at the pond( where the young master proposed to her), she threw away the ring that he gave her and apologized to him for giving her heart to Kim Jae Won and that her love for Kim Jae Won was deeper than for the young master. So yeah, I think she loved Kim Jae Won more.

thank you .it makes sense to me now..

Quote Originally Posted by baby1talk View Post
    True, but Young Master is dead so she is left with no choice, but to forget him. Although, that's just me. I felt that there was more vibe with her and the Young Master.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight_zero36 View Post
    True, but Young Master is dead so she is left with no choice, but to forget him. Although, that's just me. I felt that there was more vibe with her and the Young Master.
    I think Kim Jae Won suits Ha Ji Won better because Jang Geun Suk with his baby face looks too young to be Ha Ji Won's lover. Plus, IMHO, I don't think Jang Geun Suk is a good actor. He carries only one pondering face throughout his part.
    In some scenes, Eunho looks like a girl wearing pink kimono PJs.

How is it that, Ha Ji Won looks different every time I see her?
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by JonDoe View Post
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.hankyung.com/photo/200703/200703262533a_2007032648341.jpg')
    The movie version has a more graceful Hwangjini starring Song Hye Gyo
    Could you elaborate on "more graceful"?
    In look department, SHG may surpass HJW in term of cuteness.
    But in acting skill, I haven't seen any work form SHG that's praise worthy.
    I thought HJW did well portraying her role in Hwangjini, determined, choleric and seducing.

Quote Originally Posted by colette View Post
    Could you elaborate on "more graceful"?
    Ha Ji Won's Hwangjini as written by an infamous feminist script writer is an arrogant and angry feminist who derives a sadistic pleasure out of humiliating men who worship her feet, and who chooses her "career" over men.

Any portrayal of Hwangjini less extreme than the TV drama version would automatically be more graceful, and the movie version of her is indeed a more classical interpretation. Ha Ji Won's acting is fine, but the character she played is not. It is the script writer's fault. The script writer committed other atrocities beside Hwangjini, the other one being Immortal Yi Soon Shin that portrayed the man that Japanese navy worshipped as "God of War" for 300 years as someone of a scared face and sad eyes...

But in acting skill, I haven't seen any work form SHG that's praise worthy.
    Of course not. But no production company would dump $12 million to produce a movie starring Ha Ji Won.

Quote Originally Posted by JonDoe View Post
    Ha Ji Won's Hwangjini as written by an infamous feminist script writer is an arrogant and angry feminist who derives a sadistic pleasure out of humiliating men who worship her feet, and who chooses her "career" over men.

Any portrayal of Hwangjini less extreme than the TV drama version would automatically be more graceful, and the movie version of her is indeed a more classical interpretation. Ha Ji Won's acting is fine, but the character she played is not. It is the script writer's fault. The script writer committed other atrocities beside Hwangjini, the other one being Immortal Yi Soon Shin that portrayed the man that Japanese navy worshipped as "God of War" for 300 years as someone of a scared face and sad eyes...

Of course not. But no production company would dump $12 million to produce a movie starring Ha Ji Won.
    please me more why wouldn't they dump $12 Million ??? Is Ha Ji Won not famous in Korea?

Song Hye Gyo fits the role much better than Ha Ji Won. She's prettier, more classy, and alluring plus a ton of other things, and this is coming from someone who doesn't even like Song Hye Gyo or think she's all that.

I don't think Ha Ji Won is necessarily a bad actress...she can do some roles pretty well, such as in Love So Divine, she played the part very well. But she just doesn't seem to be very graceful or alluring in a classy sense. She fits the sassy bill a lot better and lacks maturity. Plus the fact that she really isn't that pretty compared with the other actresses in the industry.

The drama was kind of boring, I only watched a bit of it, and got too bored. The music was amazing though.

well to me, I was very impressed wiht HJW in the drama HwangJini....I thought that was one of her best work.I believe she won alot of awards for her role...i guess u can say that she is considered as one my fav korean actress.. i think she has this unique look that makes her stand out. not your typical pale-skinned, classy, graceful korean actress but that's what makes her different.