Thread: Jinyong thinking deproved

Default Jinyong thinking deproved

Do you guys find that jinyong novels get more and more crappy? During some of his eariler novels like LOCH, his characters were powerful through hard work and were not too many plot device that make the people suddenly superpower. So what i am saying is the later novels like DGSD, The characters become supersuperpower and utter crap in his later novels,the story plot seemed to be lousier,kung fu becomes more powerful, and people become god mode at so early ages,do you guys agree with me???

I don't think the "character gets powerful by luck" element is a sign that Jin Yong's writing deterioated. In my humble opinion, as a general trend Jin Yong's writing progressed more masterfully with each novel. His last 3 major works--Demi Gods Semi Devils, Smiling Proud Wanderer, and Duke of Mount Deer--are his 3 best in my opinion, even though I'm no expert. Those 3 works seem to feature more complexity, ambiguity, and experimental creativity.

During some of his eariler novels like LOCH, his characters were powerful through hard work and were not too many plot device that make the people suddenly superpower.
    Only a handful of characters in Jin Yong universe became powerful through sheer luck. The rest of them still had to work hard to attain greatness.

So what i am saying is the later novels like DGSD, The characters become supersuperpower and utter crap in his later novels,the story plot seemed to be lousier,kung fu becomes more powerful, and people become god mode at so early ages
    Don't forget the theme of DGSD is that no matter how powerful one becomes, he cannot escape human suffering, and the way to overcome the suffering is to acquire enlightenment. In order to illustrate this theme, it was necessary for Jin Yong to make his characters mighty powerful. He also wanted to illustrate the ironies of the world, one of which is "the more you want something, the harder it is to obtain; the less you want something; the easier it is to obtain." Thereby Jin Yong made his 3 of his characters who did not want to learn kung fu extremely powerful (You Tanzhi, Xuzhu, and Duan Yu), to illustrate the irony. In my opinion this is not a sign of poor writing, but an artist's expression of a thought-provoking philosophy. This philosophy certainly has relevance in real life as well.

When Duan Yu first became powerful, He had the highest known internal energy in the world. He lived in prosperity and was loved by almost everyone. And yet, he escapes the prosperity and abandons his loved ones to enjoy common life. How ironic. Later, when he is loved by Mu Wanqing and Zhong Ling, the only person who can make him happy is Wang Yuyan. It didn't matter if he had the highest internal cultivation and that almost everyone in the world was on his side, if Wang Yuyan wasn't happy, then he wasn't happy. DGSD encapsulates the randomness and complexities of life, and is a much more masterful work (both in quality and in volume) compared to Jin Yong's early writing, in my humble opinion.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    DGSD encapsulates the randomness and complexities of life, and is a much more masterful work (both in quality and in volume) compared to Jin Yong's early writing, in my humble opinion.
    You forgot to mention the MAIN reason why DGSD is the Greatest of all Wuxia Novels!!!
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Well, after reading your post I think PJ will surely remember.
    1 POP in swordplay
    2 Single-stance execution
    3 Master of TOAM
    4 Lord of CCVT
    5 Pioneer of TBIS
    6 Saint of Sword Nimbus
    |^^|
    Yang Guo & Zhou Botong said in Chapters 6, 11 & 25 of ROCH:
    - 这道姑也算得美了,只是还不及桃花岛郭伯母,更加不及我姑姑。
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。
    - 龙姑娘,我瞧你品貌才智,和那小黄蓉不相上下,武功也跟她差不离。