Thread: Professionally Recorded Movie Soundtracks

Default Professionally Recorded Movie Soundtracks

One thing that puts me off buying movie soundtracks is that very often the tracks on the soundtrack are of songs in the movie recorded by professional singers and artists, when the ones i want to hear are the renditions that appeared in the movie.

I've noticed this in a number of disney soundtracks, and the Happyfeet soundtrack also has professionally recorded renditions as opposed to the ones in the movie by the respective voice over actresses/actors.

Do you prefer professionally recorded renditions or the ones that appear in the film?

*correct me if this is the wrong place to post this thread

Quote Originally Posted by 0-0-0
    Do you prefer professionally recorded renditions or the ones that appear in the film?
    I have an interesting related problem, which is that the movie and the soundtrack sometimes feature the same recording, but different mixes. This occurred on the Beatles' A HARD DAY'S NIGHT. The same tracks were used in the film as on the soundtrack album, but to my ears, the mixes for the movie have much greater ambience than the mixes on the album. This was probably done to give the songs a more "live" sound in the movie.

I kind of like my music to sound live.

Well, I think you liked the song as it was in the film, you'd definitely prefer that version. With Disney, I tend to like the movie renditions better, since you can also connect it with that particular clip in the movie. One example I can think of right away is that I prefer Lea Salonga's "Reflection" that was used in the movie to the Christina Aguilera pop version (although I am partial to Lea Salonga's voice).
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway