Thread: Crouching Tiger vs. Louis Cha's Book and Sword

Cool Crouching Tiger vs. Louis Cha's Book and Sword

I can't help noticing the early similarities between Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Louis Cha's The Book and The Sword : in that the early protagonists of both these stories were daughters of some high ranking officials posted at the far away border regions learning martial arts from law fugitives - with a hidden past and on the run from the law - and were lucky enough to have found employ with their respective fathers.

Call it a hunch or otherwise, but I get the feeling: despite my great admiration for Louis Cha's work (unmatched even in the English world), early writers tend to use a common approach to launch their writing career. Thus, during the early stage, they can't help but borrow from the earlier masterpieces or each other; if not wholly but in part.

The questions that need to be asked then would range from: who was first to establish "the crouching tiger, hidden dragon" approach; who copied whom and right down to whether the similarities were simply due to the common approach taken by writers then in response to popular ideas about wuxia that were already prevalent in the society before them.

Any takers?

-----------Maxim of the day----
    Whether for health, charity or little fortune, take a walk inside the park and ask yourself why not today. "A low aim is the biggest crime a man can commit" says Bruce Lee. Without a little adventure, courage and adversity, no man can call his own. So, take a walk inside yourself and ask this pertinent question: what does it take to "turn a boat into a warship."
    Last edited by Ken Cheng; 02-11-07 at 03:23 AM.

Most novels share a few common themes. For example, the oldest theme that's used by many stories written since literature was born is the hero's journey. The theme isn't important. If you really want to know, you can ask Jin Yong while he's still alive. I personally couldn't care less. "Good artists copy, great artists steal."
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Cool

I bet a lot of people would be surprised if Jin Yong were to chip in. But, then who knows.

-----------Maxim of the day----
    Whether for health, charity or little fortune, take a walk inside the park and ask yourself why not today. "A low aim is the biggest crime a man can commit" says Bruce Lee. Without a little adventure, courage and adversity, no man can call his own. So, take a walk inside yourself and ask this pertinent question: what does it take to "turn a boat into a warship."
    Last edited by Ken Cheng; 02-11-07 at 03:22 AM.