Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Barbara Yung (翁美玲)

Quote Originally Posted by redfirefly124
    The part about her being the best HR is opinion....personally I thought Zhou Xun's HR was more likeable. But I do admit Barbara is a very good actress.
    Yes and it's my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by redfirefly124
    Same here...in fact I don't admire people who commit suicide period....I find them to be selfish...for them, its over, but do they not think of their families and friends?
    Hey, were there any copy suicides/imitaion suicides after Barbara committed suicide?
    I think it's rather unreasonable to criticize people for committing suicide, especially if you never knew the person. Clearly, if she wanted to commit suicide, she was most likely depressed in some way, and that means someone, either friends or family, weren't looking out for her, or didn't give her the help she needed. The point is, her death is something that should be mourned and considered unfortunate, not criticized.

Plus she died of gas inhalation, and no one can confirm she committed suicide - apparently in interviews she sounded quite optimistic about her future. Personally, if I were committing suicide (not that I plan on doing something like that any time in the future), I wouldn't kill myself by breathing in toxic gases - there are easier methods, such as pills, nowadays.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by jay_z
    nobody is prefect. BY certainly wasn't. what she was is a good actor and has many fans. she was and still is the best huang rong.

i personally don't think she is pretty. i prefer someone a little taller. Lin Chiling is my dream girl.
    Yeah, she definitely wasn't perfect. Like her teeth (although they are so cute). She's my fave Huang Rong though, and I think she was meant for the role lol. I think she's pretty, esp. considering she was an 80s actress. Not many 80s actresses meet my standards (which are rather 21st century based) for beauty.

I actually don't mind her height at all - she's one of the actresses that doesn't make me feel bad for being only 160 cm.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

She was my favorite HR too.

Some info i found on wikipedia.org

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia.org
    Barbara Yung Mei-ling
    May 7, 1959- May 14, 1985

Yung was found unconscious due to gas inhalation in her apartment on Broadcast Drive, Kowloon in the morning of May 14, 1985. According to her friend and actor (who was rumored to have began courting Yung), Stephen Chow Sai-lung, Yung had called him on the night of May 13, 1985. Chow asserted that she was troubled by her failing relationship with Ken Tong. After hanging up, Chow was concerned and he went to her apartment. However, he could not gain entrance to her apartment. He then thought that nobody was home and subsequently left. Chow returned to Yung's apartment on the morning of May 14, 1985. He knocked on her door again but no one answered. Chow said he smelled gas fumes through her apartment door. He then climbed up the exterior apartment building wall to her second floor apartment and pried open her front window. He entered Yung's apartment (from the window) and discovered her unconscious and sprawled on the living room floor. Chow immediately alerted the building's security and police. Yung was rushed to the nearby Baptist Hospital, Kowloon where she was pronounced dead on arrival. There were many rumors regarding the cause of her death. Some had attributed it to an accident, suicide or perhaps even foul play. One of the most widely circulated rumors was that her suicide was the result of her depression over her supposed broken relationship with then TVB actor, Ken Tong. (It is to be noted that in an interview conducted by a Hong Kong radio station on March 14, 1985, when asked about rumors regarding her relationship with Ken Tong, Yung had explained that he was merely a friend and respected colleague.) The rumors concerning the association of her death with Ken Tong were largely based on Stephen Chow's account of her last 24 hours. There were also rumors which claimed that Stephen Chow was Yung's boyfriend. According to Yung's TVB colleagues, she had behaved normally in the days before the incident and that there was no hint that she was depressed or suicidal. Yung also sounded very optimistic about her future in her radio interviews both on March 14, 1985 and one conducted two weeks before her death. Yung did not leave a suicide note. At the time of her death, Yung was involved in filming the TVB drama The Battlefield. Filming was due to conclude in June 1985. This lead role was later replaced by Idy Chan Yuk-lin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    if she wanted to commit suicide, she was most likely depressed in some way, and that means someone, either friends or family, weren't looking out for her, or didn't give her the help she needed. The point is, her death is something that should be mourned and considered unfortunate, not criticized.
    so everyone who commits suicide needs to put a big sign on their forehead - suicide potential help save me
    If you don't like my flag, then you can kiss my rebel a55

Quote Originally Posted by NetDriftr
    so everyone who commits suicide needs to put a big sign on their forehead - suicide potential help save me
    In MOST cases, if you can't notice when someone is depressed and feeling suicidal, then you are...let's just leave it at "unobservant."

OT: I am approaching 1,000 posts, and I remember someone posting a topic about how they prefer staying at 999 posts. Thus, I will start limiting my posts and get cracking on my paper.

In MOST cases, if you can't notice when someone is depressed and feeling suicidal, then you are...let's just leave it at "unobservant."
    when people want to commit suicide, they're not going to let on their intention
    those who reveal their plan are just seeking attention and sympathy...

I live out of a suitcase, but the heart is at home on the lake.

Well, she died of gas inhalation, but there's no proof she committed suicide over a guy, so she doesn't lose my admiration over that.
    I find it very sad that the word "suicide" will forever be linked to her death. Despite her talent and beauty, people will always remember her as the actress who had committed suicide over a failed relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by bellamia
    I find it very sad that the word "suicide" will forever be linked to her death. Despite her talent and beauty, people will always remember her as the actress who had committed suicide over a failed relationship.
    suicide is a sign of weakness and character flaw - obviously Barbara Yung was such a person

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky Hiding Behind PM
    Well, maybe it was a sign of weakness - we all have our weaknesses, don't we? If she actually committed suicide, she was insecure. I disagree with your notion that you should look down at people who commit suicide. It's a societal problem, not just an individual problem.

Anyway, how does her suicide make her a less admirable ACTRESS? Last time I checked, being a good actress was about being talented in the acting area, and maybe even a bit about looks, but definitely not about being mentally secure (although being a good role model is, of course, a plus for any celebrity).

I am PMing, by the way, since I don't want to exceed 999.
    Hey!!!! this is unfair - you're cheating your post count by PM!!!!

i refuse to answer your questions if you're going to be like this!!! hehehe

My opinion Suicide is not stupid, maybe one didn't have depress about their live don't know, when you did in that situation you will know. I feel so bad for her tallents and young but have to dies with the young age. For her death is still unsolve mystery, some news said she has murder some said suicide.

Re: Barbara Yung as Wong Yung

It's been said that Barbara Yung didn't quite capture Jin Yong's Wong Yung...the character as portrayed in the novel. Barbara's Wong Yung was described as sassier and a bit more vicious than her counterpart from the novel.

Be that as it may, Barbara's rendition of the character is nevertheless admired because the actress gave a memorable, dynamic performance that brought the character to life. Barbara Yung's depiction was not the most accurate re-creation of Wong Yung, but it left the most distinct and lasting impression among the various actresses who have depicted the character.

I live out of a suitcase, but the heart is at home on the lake.

suicide is a sign of weakness and character flaw - obviously Barbara Yung was such a person
    Indeed, it's sad that this is what people will always remember her by. She died at the tender age of only 26. Its such a shame that she threw away her life for some guy. I guess she did not have the maturity to handle pain and decided to take her life.

Quote Originally Posted by gigi06
    My opinion Suicide is not stupid, maybe one didn't have depress about their live don't know, when you did in that situation you will know. I feel so bad for her tallents and young but have to dies with the young age. For her death is still unsolve mystery, some news said she has murder some said suicide.
    i don't think she has murder

Yeah, she definitely wasn't perfect. Like her teeth (although they are so cute). She's my fave Huang Rong though, and I think she was meant for the role lol. I think she's pretty, esp. considering she was an 80s actress. Not many 80s actresses meet my standards (which are rather 21st century based) for beauty.

I actually don't mind her height at all - she's one of the actresses that doesn't make me feel bad for being only 160 cm.
    Sparky liking Barbara Yung Huang Rong, oh my, do we have a revolution here? I take it then Sparky that Alyssa is not your only idol, but one of your few idols.

BTW Sparky, unlike your love for CM, I agree with you wholeheartedly with your love for Huang Rong. (Please do not say you see similar characteristics in both characters ok, lol...I've heard too much of that over the years from others.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Re: Barbara Yung as Wong Yung

It's been said that Barbara Yung didn't quite capture Jin Yong's Wong Yung...the character as portrayed in the novel. Barbara's Wong Yung was described as sassier and a bit more vicious than her counterpart from the novel.

Be that as it may, Barbara's rendition of the character is nevertheless admired because the actress gave a memorable, dynamic performance that brought the character to life. Barbara Yung's depiction was not the most accurate re-creation of Wong Yung, but it left the most distinct and lasting impression among the various actresses who have depicted the character.
    Perhaps Barbara Yung portrayal of Huang Rong is similar to Adam Cheng playing the role of Chor Lau Heung. I heard Gu Long did not like how Adam played CLH, but it turned out the audience themselves sure did. So even though Adam did not play the role accordingly to the novel, perhaps he made CLH more famous than his novel counterpart ever can.

milky way also play CLH right? thought he was the best

Senior Member superkaratemonkey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bellamia
    Indeed, it's sad that this is what people will always remember her by. She died at the tender age of only 26. Its such a shame that she threw away her life for some guy. I guess she did not have the maturity to handle pain and decided to take her life.
    well there really wasnt any prove that she suicide becuz of her failed relationship, i think it was just speculation. and i dont think everybody remembers her by dat incident. i for one remember her by her acting skill.
    BY was the best wong yung, even JY said so. even tho i dont like wat TVB did to the story of LOCH in 82 (or was it 84?) i cant stop watchin it cuz of barbara. shes exactly wat i picture wong yung to be when i read LOCH.

wats with the suicide talk?

i doubt she would commit suicide. she broke up wit her bf a few months b4 she died.

she just signed up for a film a week or two b4 tat.

ppl with suicidal tendencies tends to takes steps into reorganising their lives so as not to leave loose strands after their death.

those who commit suicide at a moments whim had suffered from sum sort of emotional distraught a short time b4hand.

Barbara didn't really fit into either.

back 2 the actress.

most ppl will remember her by her protrayal of HR but i liked her the most in Chor Lau Heung, mayb cos i think she fits more with Michael Miu.

has anyone seen the film where she was paired off with both Michael and Felix and she was killed by michael in the end?

it was a very sad moment.
    Currently in love with Bae Suzy...for superficial reasons.

I find it weird that most posters here find main wuxia heroes who commit suicide to be heroic... whereas when Barbara does it...it's considered a character flaw..

Anywayz... I don't think she commited suicide. I believe it's mainly the media trying to create a story.

Back to the topic! Barbara is my most fave actress of all time. I enjoyed every single performance she did, espeically in the Rough Ride and LOCH!

Quote Originally Posted by Shandy
    I find it weird that most posters here find main wuxia heroes who commit suicide to be heroic... whereas when Barbara does it...it's considered a character flaw..
    don't confuse fantasy with reality.
    in the real world - there are no dead heroes, only live ones