Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Barbara Yung (翁美玲)

Quote Originally Posted by superkaratemonkey
    why? wat does her commiting suicide (not say she did, but hypothetically) change the way u feel about her?
    You know what, I take that statement back. Now that I've thought about it, none of us understand all the details about her death, and if she really did commit suicide, I'm in no position to judge her. I didn't know what she went through, what experiences she had that might've led her to such an act. While I tend to view suicide as avoiding the more difficult way - sucking it up and living - I haven't been inside the minds of someone suicidal, so I can't judge their actions.

The important part is that she is a great actress, and my favourite Huang Rong.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Senior Member superkaratemonkey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    You know what, I take that statement back. Now that I've thought about it, none of us understand all the details about her death, and if she really did commit suicide, I'm in no position to judge her. I didn't know what she went through, what experiences she had that might've led her to such an act. While I tend to view suicide as avoiding the more difficult way - sucking it up and living - I haven't been inside the minds of someone suicidal, so I can't judge their actions.

The important part is that she is a great actress, and my favourite Huang Rong.
    i think ppl who suicide must've went through something really tramatic and sad, i feel sorry and pity for those who wanna end their life. there are cases where ppl are better off dying than living, so i dont think we should judge ppl who suicide until u know everything that person went through. and some ppl think suicide is a coward way out, but it takes courage to commit suicide, and i dunno about others but i know i probably dont have dat courage to do it.

but yea, anyways, barbara was and always will be "the" wong yung for me. even tho im a huge athena chu fan, i think barbara is better.

I live out of a suitcase, but the heart is at home on the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by superkaratemonkey
    and some ppl think suicide is a coward way out, but it takes courage to commit suicide, and i dunno about others but i know i probably dont have dat courage to do it.
    I disagree with u. It's easy to die...all it takes is a slit on the wrist or maybe some pills to drown out the pains. However, it takes true courage to overcome depression and face life.

Quote Originally Posted by bellamia
    I disagree with u. It's easy to die...all it takes is a slit on the wrist or maybe some pills to drown out the pains. However, it takes true courage to overcome depression and face life.
    Yet there are people scared of death, just like there are people scared of life. I know that right now I'd be kind of freaked out if someone asked me to slit my wrist.

In terms of facing depression, I think it's too judgmental to say suicide is the easy way out. Sometimes, people bend and bend and then there's a point where they just snap. We're not as hard as diamonds. While I'm not saying overcoming obstacles is a bad thing, there are situations when you've got to admit these people have reasons to feel suicidal.

HYPOTHETICAL SITUATION HERE that doesn't necessarily relate to Barbara's situation at all, but in terms of suicide in general. Let's say you're a girl, you get raped, the guy forces you to marry him, then your husband beats you, your husband sells you to other men to have sex with them, nobody in town is there to talk to you, you're broke, your family does not associate themselves with you, last time your husband beat you you went unconscious, you can't get help because your husband doesn't allow you contact with the rest of the world, and all this has been going on for years. You've been dealing with it for years and now you have reached your limit. What are you supposed to do? Suck it up? I can't even decide what I would do. I understand that this situation is an extreme, but I just want to say that we shouldn't just think people who are committing suicide are taking the easy way out.
    Last edited by Sparky; 01-12-07 at 06:59 PM.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Yet there are people scared of death, just like there are people scared of life. I know that right now I'd be kind of freaked out if someone asked me to slit my wrist.

In terms of facing depression, I think it's too judgmental to say suicide is the easy way out. Sometimes, people bend and bend and then there's a point where they just snap. We're not as hard as diamonds. While I'm not saying overcoming obstacles is a bad thing, there are situations when you've got to admit these people have reasons to feel suicidal.

HYPOTHETICAL SITUATION HERE that doesn't necessarily relate to Barbara's situation at all, but in terms of suicide in general. Let's say you're a girl, you get raped, the guy forces you to marry him, then your husband beats you, your husband sells you to other men to have sex with them, nobody in town is there to talk to you, you're broke, your family does not associate themselves with you, last time your husband beat you you went unconscious, you can't get help because your husband doesn't allow you contact with the rest of the world, and all this has been going on for years. What are you supposed to do? Suck it up? I can't even decide what I would do.
    There is no right or wrong answer, per say. Each person has a different way of dealing with different situations as we all have different level of emotional tolerance and pain tolerance. A person whos suffering so much pain and if suicide is the only way out then dying will not be an issue as death becomes the savior. At rock bottom, its easy for one to die. However, its much harder to allow yourself to give life one more chance. It takes wills and courage to face reality and continue living life knowing that you would have to face your pain and confront your demon. The key factor is hope...if a person has hope then there is a slim chance for life. Without hope then death is an escape to suffering.

Sparky, your example is very extreme you will find some people prefer to escape such fate through death, but then there are those who will stay strong and continue living. Though, I cant imagine that the person cannot go to the law and seek refuge under such circumstance. Personally, I would kill the bastard myself.

Yes, I did mention it was an extreme. However, death isn't easy either. In most cases, you'd have to be pretty desperate to think any place is better than life on Earth.

However, my point was that I don't think people ought to judge those who choose to commit suicide if they have not fully experienced the circumstances they went through. Furthermore, I believe that suicide is a social issue, rather than a personal problem. Society has its flaws that cause certain people to think there is no other way but out. While I am not saying that people who commit suicide are equally as strong emotionally as those who choose to live on, I am saying that it is wrong to blame/criticise/judge those who do commit suicide.

Yes, I did mention it was an extreme. However, death isn't easy either. In most cases, you'd have to be pretty desperate to think any place is better than life on Earth.
    Not everyone thinks highly of life or of this world life like u do.

However, my point was that I don't think people ought to judge those who choose to commit suicide if they have not fully experienced the circumstances they went through. Furthermore, I believe that suicide is a social issue, rather than a personal problem. Society has its flaws that cause certain people to think there is no other way but out. While I am not saying that people who commit suicide are equally as strong emotionally as those who choose to live on, I am saying that it is wrong to blame/criticise/judge those who do commit suicide.
    I concur - there's no right or wrong answer. If people choose to die then it's their prerogative. Not everyone can deal with pain and suffering in the same faith. All I'm saying is that it takes more courage for a person to live and face his/her demon than to die & escape the pain.

I thought she was the cutest and most distinct Huang Rong, not necessarily the prettiest. It's a pity she died young. Suicide or not young deaths tend to draw the most empathy.

BTW, slitting the wrists seldom cause death. There isn't enough bleeding. I've known of people who've slit their brachial arteries higher up and still not died. So most of the time people who do slit their wrists are seeking attention, not death. It's a pain to sew them up though. Not to be mean, but you can't really ever give enough anesthetic as it's based on body weight, and I had someone squirm and then try to run away after I finished, splitting all the stitches I put in. It's annoying. Darn near hit me because we wanted to schedule her.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphraeleiss
    I thought she was the cutest and most distinct Huang Rong, not necessarily the prettiest. It's a pity she died young. Suicide or not young deaths tend to draw the most empathy.
    Well, they should draw the most empathy, because Barbara definitely had a successful career ahead of her. I think whether or not she's the prettiest is subjective, particularly since she is from a different time period, but I agree she's very cute. I felt she brought Huang Rong to life the most. Of the three versions, Athena's is my second favourite - she did a good job, especially with the expectations and Barbara's example, but there weren't any extremely exceptional *WOW* moments.

BTW, slitting the wrists seldom cause death. There isn't enough bleeding. I've known of people who've slit their brachial arteries higher up and still not died. So most of the time people who do slit their wrists are seeking attention, not death. It's a pain to sew them up though. Not to be mean, but you can't really ever give enough anesthetic as it's based on body weight, and I had someone squirm and then try to run away after I finished, splitting all the stitches I put in. It's annoying. Darn near hit me because we wanted to schedule her.
    There's actually a very funny site on methods of committing suicide. Unless you cut an artery, slitting wrists generally only leads to minor injury.

Here we are:
    http://www.ctrl-c.liu.se/~ingvar/methods/other.html

The hanging drop heights are quite interesting...given my weight, I'd be hanging MORE than 10 feet in the air. Not committing suicide by hanging in that case.

Quote Originally Posted by Beedon06
    cute couple

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a217/Beedon/123547_1574409715.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a217/Beedon/142454_1155497003_gboguyzm.jpg')
    They are really cute together but why didn't Barbara choose Felix. I hate Ken Tong who caused her death.
    Love Barbara forever

Thanks for the wallpapers Beedon!

BY the way, PLEASE STOP BLAMING KENT for Barbara's death!! HE did not murder her or anything like that... Let her rest in peace ok?
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

thank for all the beautiful picture of barbara and information. I have to agree that Barbara have captured my attention as an actress from the 80s. She sure is cute and adorable in LOCH. and she is pretty in her own way. It just so sad that she died early in her career and we didn't get to see her much. Still miss her acting from the 80s.
    ''It is not so important to know everything as to appreciate what we learn.''

I concur - there's no right or wrong answer. If people choose to die then it's their prerogative. Not everyone can deal with pain and suffering in the same faith. All I'm saying is that it takes more courage for a person to live and face his/her demon than to die & escape the pain.
    Didn't realise that she died so young and in her heights of her career. What a shame. Howevever I do think, no matter how bad or depressed she feels, it's her decision to kill herself (allegedly) in the end and can't blame anyone else for her action.
    I'm sure she left a lot of friends/relatives feeling bad as a result of her death

So most of the time people who do slit their wrists are seeking attention, not death. It's a pain to sew them up though.
    not everyone has anatomy knowledge as you Doctor Aphraeleiss
    people who commits suicide are desperate and have lost all hope. they're not in their best frame of mind to think of the most effective way to die...
    If you don't like my flag, then you can kiss my rebel a55

Quote Originally Posted by NetDriftr
    people who commits suicide are desperate and have lost all hope. they're not in their best frame of mind to think of the most effective way to die...
    Yeah, plus if they watch movies and stuff, slitting your wrists is a method that appears quite frequently. A lot of people believe what they see in movies.

As for Barbara Yung. She is and always be my favourite HR ever. I know a lot of people may argue that her HR was not close to the novel and thats why she stands out so much, but i actually feel that she is closer to the HR in the novel than most people think. Its just that the scriptwriters chose to emphasise the more interesting aspects of her character rather than just her intelligence, which is pretty much the only one emphasised in all the other adaptions. Barbara also had incredible chemistry with all of the cast. Her chemistry with Felix was solid but she sparkled whenever she was in a scene with her father and ZBT. All other HRs don't portray the unique relationship between HYS and HR the way Barbara Yung and Kenneth Tsang did.
    Read the Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud now. I swear that you won't regret meeting someone like Bartimaeus. Ever.

she's super good actress, too bad i can't see more of her work

Bella dear it is exactly because these people don't think highly of life that they choose to commit suicide (horrible sentence structure there, too lazy to correct). That was my point

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie
    BY the way, PLEASE STOP BLAMING KENT for Barbara's death!! HE did not murder her or anything like that... Let her rest in peace ok?
    What difference does it make if he was responsible for her death or not? We can't even confirm Barbara committed suicide, let alone how her relationship with Ken influenced her decision. The point is that she died too early and it's really a pity, so RIP Weng Meiling.

Oh yes Net, would you be so kind as to recite a eulogy for Barbara, like you did for strife? (Net: no, I have no respect for those who commit suicide)

Quote Originally Posted by manglaikuan
    They are really cute together but why didn't Barbara choose Felix. I hate Ken Tong who caused her death.
    Love Barbara forever
    Agree, She looks so cute with Felix, I dislike Ken too not cause of her death but can't stand him in all series.

Quote Originally Posted by NetDriftr
    OFF-TOPIC:

Trust me. The ones who really want to do it find a way to do it. I'm not saying they don't have a real disease. Borderline personality disorder is very real as well. It's still annoying.
    Oligoneuron disease is incurable.

I miss her she is very cute and tallent actress.