Thread: Dragon Boys

Default Dragon Boys

I'm just wondering if anyone watched this last night? It was on at 8-10pm on CBC. It was pretty good and I'm glad to support it since it's Canadian based. It's basically a mini TV series portraying the Chinese triad and gangs on the Canadian west coast. They even brought in Eric Tsang to star in it. You can check it out on the link below. The 2nd part is on tonight, same time!

http://www.dragonboys.ca/

This mini-series was quite good and required close attention to keep track of all of the side stories. Eric Tsang's acting is typical of Hong Kong actors but wasn't a drawback to his character. I was surprised at the number of good performances by the large Asian-Canadian contingent. The Caucasian actors were used only as required by the story since it is the Cantonese family tie and triad traditions which are the story's background. The generation gap pointed out the strains on those traditions. The ending sort of left the door open for a follow-up of some kind.

The youthful Asian gangs [Chinese, Vietnamese and Indian/ Pakistani] are quite a problem in some Canadian cities. The city I moved from this fall [Calgary] is one of them and stabbings and gun play are not uncommon.
    Last edited by JamesG; 01-09-07 at 10:56 PM.

Good to hear that you watched this too JamesG. I definitely agree the ending was very abrupt. Even though I knew what was going to happen I didn't expect it to ending like that. I hope that they do decide to continue filming some more episodes but it'll probably be difficult to get Eric Tsang to commit to that.

Hey I'm from Calgary too!!! And I totally agree that as Calgary continues to grow the problem of gangs is becoming more of an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by MsPowerbomb
    Good to hear that you watched this too JamesG. I definitely agree the ending was very abrupt. Even though I knew what was going to happen I didn't expect it to ending like that. I hope that they do decide to continue filming some more episodes but it'll probably be difficult to get Eric Tsang to commit to that.
    From what I saw I think that there are Asian actors in Vancouver and elsewhere in Canada who could handle the lead role in the series. Since they knocked off the bad guy 'Movie Star' maybe they could give the actor a hair-cut and make him the new Chinese cop in the gang squad. Just a thought.

Sounds like a plan to me, now you just have to sell that idea to them.