Page 37 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2728293031323334353637383940414243 LastLast

Thread: What Japanese Series Are You Watching?

I finished Ningen no Shoumei last nite and really like it. I think Triangle has a similar story, but this one has better cast for my liking

I give up watching Rondo after ep 9 and go straight to the last episode just to confirm what my guess are, and I was right.

Junny, I would like to recommend you a movie called Kisaragi with Oguri Shun, Koide Keisuke, Yusuke Santamaria, etc. It's similar to Hollywood movie 12 Angry Man. Good cast and story and the development too. I'll think of other movie later.

Might going to watch Koori no sekai next... running out interesting series to watch at the moment.
    Spring Summer Autumn Winter.
    Pair ducks nest fly together.
    Clemencies. Summer life, feather winter white.
    Green meadow in spring, before the autumn bite.
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.

Quote Originally Posted by junny View Post
    Hmmm... I guess I'll have to assess it again after I watch another two episodes. I started on the first two episodes of Tomorrow and they were okay. Nothing spectacular, though Yutaka was so hot I don't mind Kanno Miho since her character seems quite spunky - she was a bit too good to be true in Itoshi Kimi e. I can see the coincidences already, though at this point they're not too dreadful. I'll see how it goes.
    Good to hear you are liking Yutaka in it. Heh.

For some inexplicable reason, Amami Yuki rubs me the wrong way. Maybe it's how she looks...
    Really? I find her a charming woman but I don't think she has been taking on the right roles the last few years. Actresses tend to be stereotyped in fixed roles. For her it has been the successful career woman and there really hasn't been much variety to expand her range. I thought she had better roles in the earlier years when she quite the Takarazuka troupe to break into dramas. Her character in Fumo Chitai was a breakaway from the mould but such a minor role that I'm not sure if it will mean directors have noticed that she's being underutilised and typecast.

Yeah, tell me about it! Dramas are our escape from reality, and the lack of a romance drama that tugs at our heartstrings is really sad. I've noticed an increase (?) in procedural dramas, like medical or forensic or police stuff. Not that it's a bad thing, I don't mind me some suave cops or doctors, but it does get kinda boring after a while. And I don't do high-school dramas.
    Maybe you can try Second Virgin if you are not averse to Fukuda Kyoko. I think that sounds like a daring drama that also explores what is is to be a woman in mid-career. NHK has been producing quite a few good contemporary dramas ever since they entered the space. I would watch it too if I can get over my objections with Fukuda Kyoko whose "range" is well suited for her character in Second Virgin.

I don't think you will have luck this season. There is an overload of procedural, detective and high school dramas. I agree that it gets tiring after awhile and I would like some upbeat, slice of life dramas with strong female characters. But they don't really do those anymore. Maybe it's because there's little optimism left.

The networks resort to police dramas because they guarantee two digit ratings. If you would notice, Aibou is pulling in an average of 18% I think even in its ninth season. Whereas romance dramas have a rather patchy track record as we can see from the recent Fuji Monday dramas. But that should be blamed on the poor scripts, dull characters and miscasting. It maybe unfair for me to say so since I've steered clear of that timeslot for a couple of years now although I have read the synopses and character profiles.

I might end up trying Go ... I rarely commit to watching taiga dramas given their long running time, but there's so little that's interesting out there.

As for movies, I haven't come across that sort, but I would definitely recommend Yogisha X no Kenshin not for Fukuyama Masaharu and Shibasaki Kou but for Tsutsumi Shinichi and Matsuyuki Yasuko who steal their thunder. The Batista movies are not bad. I think better than the drama adaptations. I heard that Akunin and Sweet Little Lies are pretty good movies for the year. Haven't watched them, I should since there's Fukatsu Eri and Nakatani Miki. Two actresses you can't go wrong with. Then there's also Aruitemo Aruitemo, a family drama with Natsukawa Yui and Abe Hiroshi from the previous year.
    Last edited by jade_frosts; 01-15-11 at 11:03 PM.

Just recently finished watching Juui Dolittle. It was an entertaining series and i liked how Oguri Shun's character was pretty good friends with Narimiya Hiroki's character even though i had expected them to be rivals.

Moving on to Hotaru no Hikari 2 now.
    I <3 MatsuJun

Forever Fahrenheit (飛輪海) - Jiro & Arron = <3

Quote Originally Posted by eeyore View Post
    I finished Ningen no Shoumei last nite and really like it. I think Triangle has a similar story, but this one has better cast for my liking

I give up watching Rondo after ep 9 and go straight to the last episode just to confirm what my guess are, and I was right.

Junny, I would like to recommend you a movie called Kisaragi with Oguri Shun, Koide Keisuke, Yusuke Santamaria, etc. It's similar to Hollywood movie 12 Angry Man. Good cast and story and the development too. I'll think of other movie later.

Might going to watch Koori no sekai next... running out interesting series to watch at the moment.
    I'm glad you enjoyed Ningen no Shoumei! I thought it was pretty underrated on the whole. And thanks for the movie recommendation, I will keep that in mind. I haven't seen the actors you mentioned, though I know Oguri Shun was in Hana Yori Dango (for the life of me I can't understand wtf is the fascination with that whole franchise).

I hope you managed to get started on Koori no Sekai!

Quote Originally Posted by jade_frosts View Post
    Good to hear you are liking Yutaka in it. Heh.
    I'm sorry to report that I finished Tomorrow against yours and eeyore's advice. I think it's okay for a one-time watch, and I actually found the individual stories quite moving sometimes (shed a few tears here and there). Once Moriyama (Yutaka) worked out his issues with Aiko (Kanno Miho), it was pretty smooth-sailing and Yutaka was soooo hot as a doctor. The ending few minutes were such a letdown, though. Pfft.

Really? I find her a charming woman but I don't think she has been taking on the right roles the last few years. Actresses tend to be stereotyped in fixed roles. For her it has been the successful career woman and there really hasn't been much variety to expand her range. I thought she had better roles in the earlier years when she quite the Takarazuka troupe to break into dramas. Her character in Fumo Chitai was a breakaway from the mould but such a minor role that I'm not sure if it will mean directors have noticed that she's being underutilised and typecast.
    Maybe I just need to catch her in a good role, then. But still ambivalent about her, generally. I didn't know she was part of a troupe?? How was Fumo Chitai anyway? I know it's a big budget production and I considered watching it because Yutaka had a role in there, but it seemed kinda insignificant so I skipped it.

Maybe you can try Second Virgin if you are not averse to Fukuda Kyoko. I think that sounds like a daring drama that also explores what is is to be a woman in mid-career. NHK has been producing quite a few good contemporary dramas ever since they entered the space. I would watch it too if I can get over my objections with Fukuda Kyoko whose "range" is well suited for her character in Second Virgin.
    Mmm, I haven't really seen Fukada Kyoko in anything, so I suppose I could try that. I know she's not much of an actress though. I just googled her profile, seems she's had a lot of lead roles, but I guess she's one of those that get by more for her looks than acting skills?

I don't think you will have luck this season. There is an overload of procedural, detective and high school dramas. I agree that it gets tiring after awhile and I would like some upbeat, slice of life dramas with strong female characters. But they don't really do those anymore. Maybe it's because there's little optimism left.

The networks resort to police dramas because they guarantee two digit ratings. If you would notice, Aibou is pulling in an average of 18% I think even in its ninth season. Whereas romance dramas have a rather patchy track record as we can see from the recent Fuji Monday dramas. But that should be blamed on the poor scripts, dull characters and miscasting. It maybe unfair for me to say so since I've steered clear of that timeslot for a couple of years now although I have read the synopses and character profiles.

I might end up trying Go ... I rarely commit to watching taiga dramas given their long running time, but there's so little that's interesting out there.
    Hmm. Well I don't mind procedural or detective dramas if they're done well, but that's not always the case. I did read on your drama blog about Fujiki Naohito having a new drama called Control, it's just started airing, right? Have you caught an episode yet? I was thinking of trying it out if and when it gets subbed. And yeah, I see what you mean about the patchy romance dramas of late. Saw the Kusanagi one (Fuyu no Sakura) on your blog and I was like ehhh, how can the female lead just "lose" her memory completely like that? The whole drama sounds kind of weird. I suppose I will just have to go back to older dramas. I still haven't finished Kekkon Dekinai Otoko, and I would like to try Antique too.

As for movies, I haven't come across that sort, but I would definitely recommend Yogisha X no Kenshin not for Fukuyama Masaharu and Shibasaki Kou but for Tsutsumi Shinichi and Matsuyuki Yasuko who steal their thunder. The Batista movies are not bad. I think better than the drama adaptations. I heard that Akunin and Sweet Little Lies are pretty good movies for the year. Haven't watched them, I should since there's Fukatsu Eri and Nakatani Miki. Two actresses you can't go wrong with. Then there's also Aruitemo Aruitemo, a family drama with Natsukawa Yui and Abe Hiroshi from the previous year.
    I like Fukatsu Eri, saw her in Bayside Shakedown and thought she was lovely. She was so cute with Oda Yuji. Will definitely look out for the movies that you recommended, I just hope I can find them online and that they're subbed. I didn't even realise Natsukawa Yui was in Yako no Kaidan, that's how forgettable that drama was, but she was luminous in Ningen no Shoumei, so I'll definitely look into Aruitemo Aruitemo, seems like she and Abe Hiroshi will make an awesome pairing.

Edit: I just realised Natsukawa Yui and Abe Hiroshi were in Kekkon Dekinai Otoko! Ahhhh...
    Last edited by junny; 01-20-11 at 06:46 PM.
    玉木宏

blog

Also watching Nodame Cantabile.
    I <3 MatsuJun

Finished Iryu 3 and Juui Dolittle. and Ogon no Buta. Non of them is that memorable. Juui Dolittle is really a shoujo type story. I like Iryu 3 better after ep5 onwards, but the case they did was impossible in real life. Every patient got 'kanarazu' which mean 'definetely'.. doesn't make sense to me.

I also finished watching some movies Kokuhaku with Matsu Takako and Okada Masaki and After School with Sakai Masato, Yo Oizumi, Kuranosuke Sasaki, Takako Tokiwa. Kokuhaku is a psychology thriller type of movie, not normally my choice but I really want to see Matsu in this movie. She's brilliant! Too bad this movie didn't make it to the Oscar nomination for Foreign Language Film 2011. After School is a dark comedy with a twist, it takes a while to enjoy the movie, but Sakai Masaki helps me hehehehehee... Another movie that I watched is Tokyo Shojo romance time travel, which one of my fave genre.
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.

Finished Kekkon Dekinai Otoko. So awesome, and Abe Hiroshi was fantastic as Kuwano, I really can't imagine another actor doing it. He got all the nuances spot-on, and had lovely chemistry with Natsukawa Yui (though I still prefer her with long hair ). And Ken-chan was adorable.
    玉木宏

blog

I'm watching Koori no Sekai at the moment, up to ep 5. But I need a break watching it since it kinda dark storyline and the video too ... not as heavy as Kare Naru or Fumo Chitai, but I feel so depressed watching it. Feel like watching Wuthering Heights type of story, so passionate that it's tiring.

I saw Kekkon Dekinai Otoko, but I still like Abe Hiroshi better in Change and Hero ... but this drama introduce me to Natsukawa Yui...
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.

I'm watching Honboshi and Akuto. TV Asahi does decent detective dramas. I checked out Lady ~ Saigo no Profiling just to make a comparison and well, it's a total waste of time.

I'm watching Honboshi and Akuto. TV Asahi does decent detective dramas. I checked out Lady ~ Saigo no Profiling just to make a comparison and well, it's a total waste of time.
    I totally agree. LADY is so shallow and feels draggy. I'm enjoying Honboshi and Akuto, which have decent character development. I'm also watching Control, Utsukushi Rinjin, Keizoku 2: SPEC, Face Maker, and Ogon no Buta. Anyone watching or have opinions on Gaikoukan Kuroda Kosaku or SCHOOL!!?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Recently started Meitantei no Okite.
    I <3 MatsuJun

Not a drama, but I've been revisiting episodes of Ranma ½ and laughing my head off at the antics of the various characters.
    玉木宏

blog

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge View Post
    I totally agree. LADY is so shallow and feels draggy. I'm enjoying Honboshi and Akuto, which have decent character development. I'm also watching Control, Utsukushi Rinjin, Keizoku 2: SPEC, Face Maker, and Ogon no Buta. Anyone watching or have opinions on Gaikoukan Kuroda Kosaku or SCHOOL!!?
    I dropped Lady only after the first 10 minutes, so does Control. This season I only watch Kuroda, which I find to my liking. Keizoku 2 is good I think although Toda's character is really out of this world, I think Nakatani Miki's character is more believable. But I like Toda chemistry with Kase Ryo. I still have to see if I like Honboshi, the cast doesn't really look appealing to me.

I finish Koori no Sekai few days ago, and now I'm starting another series, Last Christmas with Oda Yuji and Yada Akiko. Oda play Kenji, a perfect man, IMO. And Yada is his love interest. Too many triangle love though but it's quite funny.
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.

Finished Last Christmas with Oda Yuji, Yada Akiko, Tamaki Hiroshi and Katase Nana yesterday. It's a total feel good movie and shoujo story type. Apparently Oda Yuji always got a good nice man (although I don't remember as nice in the Tokyo Love Story, but it's been over 10 years since I watched it) in here he really is the perfect man. The opening scene mislead me about the ending
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.

I finish Koori no Sekai few days ago
    Did you like it?
    玉木宏

blog

Did you like it?
    uhm.. story wise is good, but the dark video really annoy me >.< I have to say I don't like Takenouchi in that era. But I can't guess whose the culprit at all, I think they purposely leaving the link between the victims and the culprit so we can guess it at all. IMO. chemistry was ok, but I don't think it's in my fave list.
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.

uhm.. story wise is good, but the dark video really annoy me >.< I have to say I don't like Takenouchi in that era. But I can't guess whose the culprit at all, I think they purposely leaving the link between the victims and the culprit so we can guess it at all. IMO. chemistry was ok, but I don't think it's in my fave list.
    Yeah, the culprit was a bit of a surprise. Pity about the quality, but it is an old drama, sigh. I also prefer a more clean-cut Yutaka, but he's like wine, gets better as he ages

I should really get started on Nagareboshi, but I dunno, I don't really like Ueto Aya and that Shota guy gives me the creeps.
    玉木宏

blog

I dropped Lady only after the first 10 minutes, so does Control. This season I only watch Kuroda, which I find to my liking. Keizoku 2 is good I think although Toda's character is really out of this world, I think Nakatani Miki's character is more believable. But I like Toda chemistry with Kase Ryo. I still have to see if I like Honboshi, the cast doesn't really look appealing to me.
    I agree about Control, though it's slightly better than Lady. Unfortunately, there's zero chemistry between the two leads, Naohito is not convincing enough as a professor, and the main character whatsherface is just plain annoying with her two whole facial expressions. On the bright side, it's been nice seeing Kashiwabara Takashi as a guest star in these last couple of episodes. I enjoyed Keizoku 2; hopefully there will be another season soon. Don't let the cast deter you - give Honboshi and Akutou a try!

I just finished Ogon no Buta. The cases and storyline were linear and predictable, but the cast chemistry made up for it. Shinko+Single Perm+Double Perm+Spaghetti Squash+Mole=. And of course Shinohara Ryoko can do no wrong.

Next I plan to start on Diplomat Kuroda Kousaku.
    Last edited by Lady Zhuge; 03-17-11 at 11:24 PM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge View Post
    Unfortunately, there's zero chemistry between the two leads, Naohito is not convincing enough as a professor, and the main character whatsherface is just plain annoying with her two whole facial expressions.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that find her facial expression annoying I'm so tempted to see Gege no Nyobo with Mukai Osamu, but she's there too!

Besides Kuroda Kousaku I also end up watching Taisetsu na Koto wa Subete Kimi ga Oshiete Kureta, the story is almost like suspense than romance. I beginning to like Saeki Hikari character now as the episodes progress, but I still cringe watching Shuji's confession to his class.

On the Japanese Movie, I manage to watch Kimi ni Todoke without subs and actually understand what they talking about only because I read the manga and watched anime of the same title. I think the casting choice really helps me to stick watching it. Miura Haruma is really suits Kazehaya character, and so does Arata as Pin.
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.

I finished Gaikoukan Kuroda Kousaku, for me the climax is at ep 9, ep 10 is just wrap up, that's why I sort of not rushing wanting to see the ending. It's a complicated story since politics are involve. I don't mind the supporting cast, I think they all very convincing.

Also saw Hanamizuki with Toma, Gakki and Osamu. alot of the supporting cast in Kimi ni todoke also in here like Arata, the girl that play Ritsuko = Yoshida and one of the guy is play Jo in KnT. my spirits is up every time Osamu on screen and I just want to fast forward everytime there's scenes for Toma with Gakki. dunno why Gakki is annoy me sometimes

I'm a bit 'away' from jdorama lately, been watching anime and Flash Forward instead
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.