Page 25 of 43 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: What Japanese Series Are You Watching?

Quote Originally Posted by pdt_85 View Post
    Kashiwabara Shuji, the actor that plays the photographer, Chiba, is HOT!!! Too bad he only had a supporting role in the show.
    You should watch him in Yasha. Moichi is also a supporting character, but is no less memorable than the 2 main characters (or 1 leading actor).

Quote Originally Posted by beanybeans View Post
    Hiro has been married to ayaka since Feb 22nd. They just decided to hold a press conference to make the official announcement. ayaka also has Graves' Disease and her symptoms are getting worse. That's probably a big reason for the marriage since Hiro says he wants to support and protect ayaka. ayaka's music career will also be put on hold.

Anyway, to make this not be too off-topic, i'm looking forward to watching Hiro's next drama, Mr. Brain.
    That's nice but its kind of career sucide dont' you think? oh beanybeans, you have not been posting in the kattun thread for a long time now isn't it? but still active in the fandom I suppose?
    Last edited by strawberry; 04-04-09 at 11:25 AM.

I finished Mei-Chan no Shitsuji... and started on Hotaru no Hikari over the weekend... finishing it soon... it's a pretty funny drama...

Googling the actor who played Teshima Makoto led me to discover the live action of Jigoku Shoujo... didn't know they had adapted this manga into live action, so will be starting on it soon...

I like Love Shuffle, can't wait to finish it! Started Shiroii Kage yesterday and I kinda like it, because I need a normal drama but not school setting. I'm into adult life story at the moment.

I want to see the Quiz Show, the old one, has anyone seen it? I heard a good comment about it somewhere.
    Spring Summer Autumn Winter.
    Pair ducks nest fly together.
    Clemencies. Summer life, feather winter white.
    Green meadow in spring, before the autumn bite.
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.

finished Love Shuffle etoo... ma ma.. dunno what to say, some character quite revolting for me, but story wise is good.

still dunno what to watch next...
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.

I'm watching the interesting, awesome, a fearless bunch, the 25 mins drama....

click to show/hide spoilers
    侍戦隊 Shinkenger
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Door to Door SP ... not as sad as Marathon for me, but still. Nino's acting is quite convincing.
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.

hana kimi..! for the 2nd time!
    i really love this drama very much because of toma...
    and i'm waiting for toma's majo saiban...

The top 3 of 4 current popular young actresses all have separate dramas this season

Atashinchi no Danshi - horikita maki - another reverse harem drama. she's almost being typecast. But this feels better than Hana kimi as there isn't as many boys. The game theme gives a nice frame of reference for the series, complete with a strategy guide

Boss - Toda Erika - this is the most promising series of the season. Amami Yuki leads a misfit CSI team in a series similar to the western CSI stuff. Seems to be a good cast.

Smile - Aragaki Yui - Matsumoto Jun and Yui headline this misfortune drama. Jun is a half-filipino and half-japanese wrongly accused and yui is a mute. Complete miscasting imho. yui is way too cheerful for the sad role she's to play. Jun is way too alpha to be the hesitant type. the script for the first ep seems way too rushed.

Some other dramas
    Honryu net cafe - What can I say? I loved Long Love Letter, I'm just a sucker for this type of material. can't wait for the next episode

Godhand Teru - ep 1 was ok. It's your basic miracle doctor drama. Not great, but not bad. A bit overtly dramatic, as the fundamental premise feels like the Trauma Center game

I have to say, this season is probably the best season in ~ 2 years

edit:
    just realised that nakaawa masami is in boku no imoto, still waiting for subs, but this means that it's 4 of 4 top girls this season
    Last edited by auroragb; 04-20-09 at 12:31 AM.

Watching Rinjo, Boss and Yako Kaidan. Planning to also catch Soratobu Taiya and Shiroi Haru.

Boss looks to be turning into a sorry wreck, that's all I can say if there's a repeat of the very bad storytelling in Ep2.

On the other hand, Rinjo is immensely enjoyable.

Finishing up Koizora and also watching Atashinchi no Danshi.
    I <3 MatsuJun

Forever Fahrenheit (飛輪海) - Jiro & Arron = <3

finished Triangle last night.. finally. good twist, but I can't stand some of the acting.

I start watching the Quiz Show 1, not the one with Sakurai Sho, it's not my normal type of storyline, but since it's short, it's ok.

aarrghhh I start watching so many drama, but haven't finished them all, I lost interest in the middle. why? hiks...
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.

Quote Originally Posted by jade_frosts View Post
    Watching Rinjo, Boss and Yako Kaidan. Planning to also catch Soratobu Taiya and Shiroi Haru.

Boss looks to be turning into a sorry wreck, that's all I can say if there's a repeat of the very bad storytelling in Ep2.

On the other hand, Rinjo is immensely enjoyable.
    How does Rinjo compare to Gonzo other than sharing the same lead actor and police investigation genre? How is Yako no Kaidan? Naohito is one busy man this season, starring in two dramas AND singing the theme songs for both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge View Post
    How does Rinjo compare to Gonzo other than sharing the same lead actor and police investigation genre? How is Yako no Kaidan? Naohito is one busy man this season, starring in two dramas AND singing the theme songs for both of them.
    There are quite a few similarities between Rinjo and Gonzo. They're equally intense dramas. The characters lost someone they loved, there's simmering tension but also respect with another character in the investigative division, they're good in what they do. Gonzo had a more interesting storyline that creatively wove in different side stories into the plotline. Rinjo is more structured probably because it's based on different cases. The underlying backstory for our main character hasn't unraveled yet. I like Gonzo better but Rinjo is still a good watch.

I'm not too sure how to gauge Yako no Kaidan in one episode except that its going to be one long depressing story that will depict the spiral into tragedy of our main character. I've only watched one Matsumoto Seicho adaptation before and that was Keimonomichi. I don't feel the magnetism which I imagine Fujiki should have to charm all the women whom he has cleverly snared and tries to manipulate. But I'm curious to find out what happened in the past and background of one of the characters played by Natsukawa Yui so I guess I'll give it a chance. The actings average but the storyline might just lift it above that.

I am currently watching Atashinchi no Danshi aka The Guys of My House and I like what I've seen so far. Although some people might not like Horikita Maki, but I don't really mind her. I like the cast of (non-blood-related) brothers except for one. But anyway, it seems like an interesting challenge for Chisato(HM) to be a mother to four guys who are older than her and two guys that are younger than her by a few years. Plus some of them might end up falling for her. As it is a reverse harem type drama. A difficult challenge, yes, but I think it is still do-able.

BTW, It's my first time coming across Yamamoto Koji in a drama, and I've seen his pictures before but, never seen him in a drama before. Oou! He reminds me of a younger Hugo Ng. I think I might seek out his Jidaigeki type dramas. He definitely has this mysterious and cool factor. But I am not sure what to make of the abrupt laughs he has in the drama so far, it seems like he's trying to hold his laughter really hard when looking at how Chisato reacts to certain things. Heh...still very cool looking actor.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 05-05-09 at 12:35 PM.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    I am currently watching Atashinchi no Danshi aka The Guys of My House and I like what I've seen so far. Although some people might not like Horikita Maki, but I don't really mind her. I like the cast of (non-blood-related) brothers except for one. But anyway, it seems like an interesting challenge for Chisato(HM) to be a mother to four guys who are older than her and two guys that are younger than her by a few years. Plus some of them might end up falling for her. As it is a reverse harem type drama. A difficult challenge, yes, but I think it is still do-able.

BTW, It's my first time coming across Yamamoto Koji in a drama, and I've seen his pictures before but, never seen him in a drama before. Oou! He reminds me of a younger Hugo Ng. I think I might seek out his Jidaigeki type dramas. He definitely has this mysterious and cool factor. But I am not sure what to make of the abrupt laughs he has in the drama so far, it seems like he's trying to hold his laughter really hard when looking at how Chisato reacts to certain things. Heh...still very cool looking actor.
    Just curious, which son do you not particularly care for? Hmm, i've never seen Yamamoto Koji before but i quite like his character.
    I <3 MatsuJun

Forever Fahrenheit (飛輪海) - Jiro & Arron = <3

jade, do you know how the Fujiki dramas are doing? Any good?
    玉木宏

blog

Quote Originally Posted by junny View Post
    jade, do you know how the Fujiki dramas are doing? Any good?
    I'm not watching the one on the soba shop detective. But I watched a few episodes of Yako no Kaidan.

I didn't enjoy it even though I was pretty psyched up about the drama. I guess one reason is because I'm quite turned off seeing Fujiki play a womaniser who gets cosy with any woman he sees as a useful tool to fulfill his ambition to climb to the top of the world of beauty. Well, picture him getting intimate with an old woman 50+ and shudder ... Anyway, the bigger issue is with the lack of chemistry between him and his leading lady and also because I don't feel the charisma exuding from him to convince me why he has every woman he woos neatly wrapped around his finger. All the women are delusional by the way ... And the narration seems to treat the viewer as an idiot, not able to pick up the nuances so they have to be told what the characters feel

Not recommended. Around 40 was seriously a better drama though obviously not the best Fujiki drama.

Hmm ... I heard Aishiteru is good but maybe a bit depressing. You could try it. My weekly staple is Rinjo and Boss. But Boss is ridiculously silly.

^ Wow, I didn't know Yako no Kaidan was like that. Honestly thought it might be a role where Fujiki could shine, since he was such a charmer in Love Revolution and had women at his beck and call. And I was so glad that Fujiki had two dramas out. I was hoping the soba one was decent too... maybe should check it out.

Boss isn't good either eh? Sigh. No luck for Yutaka this year so far then. Don't tell me j-doramas are really going downhill?

What's Aishiteru about?
    玉木宏

blog

Quote Originally Posted by junny View Post
    ^ Wow, I didn't know Yako no Kaidan was like that. Honestly thought it might be a role where Fujiki could shine, since he was such a charmer in Love Revolution and had women at his beck and call. And I was so glad that Fujiki had two dramas out. I was hoping the soba one was decent too... maybe should check it out.

Boss isn't good either eh? Sigh. No luck for Yutaka this year so far then. Don't tell me j-doramas are really going downhill?

What's Aishiteru about?
    You might like to try watching 1 episode of Yako no Kaidan to judge for yourself. Though I must caution that many people on the forums felt turned off by the story and / or characters too. Not the best adaptation and the drama is way too long.

Hmm ... Yutaka's character is like a gigolo. Boss isn't a good investigative drama which is the genre it touts itself as. The cases are just eyebrow raising sometimes in plausibility and logic. There's no suspense. The characters aren't very interesting and most actors and actresses are just sleepwalking through their roles. The ensemble cast is too big for there to be meaningful development of the characters. It's a dud to me.

I think there are the good, not so good and lousy dramas as there often are in every season. I heard that Abe Hiroshi is great in Shiroi Haru though the story itself isn't that good. Aishiteru is about the consequences that two families have to deal with when the son of one family kills the son of another but this is explored from the angle of the family whose son committed the crime.