Page 1 of 43 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: What Japanese Series Are You Watching?

Question What Japanese Series Are You Watching?

This thread works pretty much like the one in the General Series forum except it's geared toward Japanese series. It kind of beats starting a new thread for every Jdorama I watch that's too old to garner much response anyway. Please tell us what you've been watching recently and feel free to provide comments if inclined so the rest of us get an idea of whether it's one to go for or perhaps just avoid.

I recently finished Keizoku and liked it alot. It's not hard to guess the guilty party in each case, but the explanations are interesting and well-developed on the whole. Trick fans shouldn't miss this one either. The humor wavelength is similar even though this drama is darker. Make sure you have the special and movie on hand as well (and watch them in that order). Otherwise, the ending may leave you very unsatisfied.

I'm currently watching Ikebukuro West Gate Park. It took some getting used to just like Tiger & Dragon, but I'm into it now. It's probably no coincidence that Kudo Kankuro is also the screenwriter (as well as for Kisarazu Cat's Eye, which I will also be watching).
    Last edited by Lady Zhuge; 01-14-07 at 02:06 AM.

I just watched Ikebukuro West Gate Park up to the 7th eps, from what I know, they stopped subbing after the 7th , did they continued to sub it ?

You should watch Kisarazu Cat's Eye, it's silly, funny, stupid but somehow meaningful at the same time. I agree, Kudo Kankuro is my favorite screenwriter.

I just finished watching Kuitan, I find it ok, kinda boring . Rated 5/10 . I like Trick, so I would dig in with Keizuko if you say so. Tks Lady Zhuge!

Quote Originally Posted by huongduong
    I just watched Ikebukuro West Gate Parkup to the 7th eps, from what I know, they stopped subbing after the 7th , did they continued to sub it ?
    IWGP has been subbed up to episode 8 now. I'm looking forward to the rest.

Currently watching some:
    - Teppan Shoujo Akane
    - Nodame Cantabile
    - My Hoss My Hero

I watched so many cause I keep vary them with anime and movies ...

I am also currently re-watching Love Generation and Pride
    Spring Summer Autumn Winter.
    Pair ducks nest fly together.
    Clemencies. Summer life, feather winter white.
    Green meadow in spring, before the autumn bite.
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.

Han Yori Dango Season 2 !!!! It's getting really good....
    Currently watching: --
    Anticipating: GOONG 2 (original), HYD (Korean), Palace Scheme, Grand Entreprenur

I'm watching Seikei Bijin (Artificial Beauty) which stars Ryoko Yonekura and Shiina Kippei. Ryoko plays a "busu" (ugly girl) (Honami) who hated her looks and detested the way she was treated by people at school and work, and this prompts her to undergo a total cosmetic makeover in London after scrimping for 6 years. She returns transformed into a beauty who makes heads turn, but it cannot hide her coarse and crude, and selfish personality. She meets Shiina Kippei's character (Ryusui), an unhappy, lonely man who becomes the grandmaster of the Fujishima clan's ikebana school. He is taken by Honami's tough and bold personality and their encounter and her subsequent fixation with him transforms both their lives.

I'm not one for Ryoko's cheery exuberance but it's an interesting story to watch to see what conclusion the drama will draw.

Quote Originally Posted by eeyore
    Currently watching some:
    - Teppan Shoujo Akane
    - Nodame Cantabile
    - My Hoss My Hero

I watched so many cause I keep vary them with anime and movies ...

I am also currently re-watching Love Generation and Pride

wow, re-watching those Kimura's drama ? I'm not his fan so watched them once already enough , the only one that I could watch again is Engine because i love the child-actors and Koyuki . (I know most people said Engine is not the best Kimura drama but to me, it's his best .

My Boss, My Hero and Nodame Cantabile are funny, good acting . Hope you love those .

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge
    IWGP has been subbed up to episode 8 now. I'm looking forward to the rest.
    Really ? rush to that website, I forgot the address though ) gotta find that site's address again .

Jade-frosts : I've watched Seikei Bijin (Artificial Beauty) and somehow I didn't like it . I'm not a fan of Ryoko Yonekura either. She gives me the same feeling as Gigi Lai (if you know who's Gigi Lai ) she's beautiful but her acting somehow is stiff. The splot didn't go well either.

I'm currently watching Nurse Aoi, I hope it's ok later on, i'm already getting bored after the 3rd ep maybe because i'm biased since I've just watched Iryu last month. I loved Iryu so I keep compare them since they have the same medical theme. That's why i'm getting bored at it. I'm trying my best not to

wow, re-watching those Kimura's drama ? I'm not his fan so watched them once already enough , the only one that I could watch again is Engine because i love the child-actors and Koyuki . (I know most people said Engine is not the best Kimura drama but to me, it's his best .

My Boss, My Hero and Nodame Cantabile are funny, good acting . Hope you love those .
    yup2.. dunno why.. he,he,he.... well those re-watching is halt at the moment cause Nodame and Chiaki took all my attention ... But I don't I'll re-watch Nodame, different passion with while I was watching Kimura's dorama.. he,he,he... Pride is the best of Kimura for me, as for Engine is good overall, I love the kids.. and Nodame is certainly different character in Engine... aarrgggghhhh so little time, so many I want to watch......
    Spring Summer Autumn Winter.
    Pair ducks nest fly together.
    Clemencies. Summer life, feather winter white.
    Green meadow in spring, before the autumn bite.
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.

Quote Originally Posted by jade_frosts
    I'm watching Seikei Bijin (Artificial Beauty) which stars Ryoko Yonekura and Shiina Kippei. Ryoko plays a "busu" (ugly girl) (Honami) who hated her looks and detested the way she was treated by people at school and work, and this prompts her to undergo a total cosmetic makeover in London after scrimping for 6 years. She returns transformed into a beauty who makes heads turn, but it cannot hide her coarse and crude, and selfish personality. She meets Shiina Kippei's character (Ryusui), an unhappy, lonely man who becomes the grandmaster of the Fujishima clan's ikebana school. He is taken by Honami's tough and bold personality and their encounter and her subsequent fixation with him transforms both their lives.

I'm not one for Ryoko's cheery exuberance but it's an interesting story to watch to see what conclusion the drama will draw.
    I saw this a while back and didn't really like it that much. I'm not much of a Yonekura's fan. I believe this was the first time I saw Shosuke Tanihara.

Haha huongduong, Grifis I think I'm reaching the very same conclusion on Seikei Bijin. It's a bit difficult getting involved in the characters. I've never really liked Ryoko Yonekura but I do think she plays bad characters (i.e. the recent Matsumoto Seichou adaptations she has been starring in) better than lively, boisterous ones. I think the only highlight of the drama was seeing Shosuke undressing in ep2.

I've also started watching Haken no Hinkaku from this season. It's a drama about the burgeoning number of outsourced contract workers in the Japanese workforce and the problems and bias they face in a workplace of regular corporate employees. A major reason why I decided to catch it was Ryoko Shinohara (unfortunately Kato Ai is also in it). The first ep was pretty interesting although this drama seems kinda dry given the topic that it deals with.

nani? there was a scene where Shosuke undressed? How could I possible have forgotten? I don't recall seeing that. oi oi any cap jade?

I too like Ryoko but not Kato Ai. Don't see any attractive male under that series so I don't plan to watch.

Ha, now we know how to get Grifis's attention.

I don't like Kato Ai either. I'm not sure if it's her or just the characters she plays, but she tends to be an annoying screen presence, especially when she's whining or throwing some kind of a tantrum.

I'm getting ready to start on a new Japanese series. I'm not quite sure what yet, but quite possibly My Boss, My Hero, rather inadvertently my 5th Nagase series.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge
    Ha, now we know how to get Grifis's attention.
    Haha indeed Lady Zhuge.

Quote Originally Posted by Grifis
    nani? there was a scene where Shosuke undressed? How could I possible have forgotten? I don't recall seeing that. oi oi any cap jade?
    Hontou yo. Ryoko's character, Honami, wanted to get her revenge on Shosuke's character for criticising her looks, so she goes about using her charms to entrap him, and finally lures him to a hotel room. There, Shosuke gets real excited about sleeping with such a beautiful woman and starts undressing to his boxers only to be put down by Ryoko, who triumphantly tells him that she is none other than Honami. The quality of version I have isn't good since it was Jem's capture from tv. Do you still want to see it?

is Shosuke the one that acted with Kusanagi Tsuyoshi in Koi ni Ochitara ? oh, then I know who he is, he's all right

Jade-frosts : is Haken no Hinkaku good ? I wanna watch that too . I love Ryoko Shinohara . I don't know why, I can't get her drama on my hands including Unfair and Haken no Hinkaku .

the 2nd season of Hana Yori Dango is getting boring now .

Looks like I'm getting more and more transparent. I can't seem to hide my perverted nature (especially with hot males.)

jade, sure I'll take it. How about this? I'll trade some hot shots of Masaya Kato from Kira Kira. In fact I'll put up some tonight. What do you think?

Ok, I did manage to watch (I mean skim) through KiraKira Kenshui since it wasn't all that interesting. It seems the main actress Manami doesn't have the charm to shoulder this series. I don't dislike her (ever since I saw her in Tentai Kenzoku) maybe due to the fact that her screen time was limited. However in here she plays this really annoying intern doctor and I can't help but cringe at her facial expressions during her screen time. How much more cruel can I be eh? Anyhow, Kato is in here but I doubt that I can continue.

Some few caps of my object of affection (I could manage). Sorry that I didn't pay attention much to others. I'm rather inclined.

Kato looks good when he's dressed up in suit
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/4287/kirakira01kk7.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/2081/kirakira02jt7.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/3605/kirakira03no7.jpg')

I saw this young guy (who plays the character that likes the main girl), and I thought he looks so mixed so I capped it for the general public who like pretty boys. I like pretty boys too but he hasn't charmed me with this look yet.
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/8825/kirakira04tc2.jpg')

Well this season doesn't seem to have stuff that draw me. Takuya can dance all he likes with his grand tribe but I have little interest in watching. (Maybe I'll get it once the hardsubs will be uploaded in newsgroup.) For now, I guess I'm heading back to my anime line-up.

is Shosuke the one that acted with Kusanagi Tsuyoshi in Koi ni Ochitara ? oh, then I know who he is, he's all right

Jade-frosts : is Haken no Hinkaku good ? I wanna watch that too . I love Ryoko Shinohara . I don't know why, I can't get her drama on my hands including Unfair and Haken no Hinkaku .

the 2nd season of Hana Yori Dango is getting boring now .
    Yeah that was Shosuke. I think his name was Kamiya in Koi ni Ochitara.

Hmm, it's a bit difficult to judge Haken no Hinkaku based on one episode but I will say that despite the big names appearing in many dramas this season, I don't think many are actually worth watching. Haken no Hinkaku is one of the more promising dramas but I kind of feel that it might be a bit predictable. Will comment again after I've seen a few more episodes. Erai Tokoro ni Totsuide ni Shimatta has Shosuke in it but I don't really fancy the storyline which feels similar in some ways to Hanayome wa Yakudoshi. It's a drama that treads an all too familiar path. Hana Yori Dango 2 is probably for those are fans of the manga and JE's boys. I didn't like what I saw in the first 5 mins. Tsukushi somehow struck me as silly and annoying, and that was as much as I could tolerate.

Grifis, I'm not surprised. I never thought Konishi Manami an actress who can carry a drama on her own because I don't think she has the presence and range. And that 'pretty boy' you have there is Wentz Eiji, he's part Japanese-German-American and belongs to the group WaT with Koike Teppei. The inexplicable thing is his inability to speak English despite having a German-American dad.

Hm, it will be a long list if I am to list what I am watching now ... 'coz I am obssessed with jdrama and watched everything I can get my hands on. So far, this week I have watched:
    - Kyumei Byoto 24 Ji II and III
    - Risou no kekkon
    - Meteor Garden
    - Call me CA
    - Aisuru Tame ni Aisaretai
    - Gokusen 2
    "Most men are of naught more use in their lives but as machines for turning food into shit."

-- Miles Vorkosigan quoting his grandfather (Lois McMaster Bujold, "Memory")

series:
    You're Under Arrest live action

movies:
    Death Note - I love it! Looking forward for the sequel (Death Note: The Last Name)
    Prince of Tennis live action
    Detective Conan live action

Currently following Haikei Chichiue sama and Hana Yori Dango 2.

I wasn't expecting to enjoy Haikei much since it is not the type of dramas that I usually watch, surprisingly I really enjoyed episode 2, much more than episode 1. Will definitely continue watching, for the story as well as for the actors of course.

As for Hana Yori Dango, well I am not really watching the show, I made it through the first 15 minutes of the first episode and gave up. Maybe I'll try it again one day.