Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Legendary Siblings TV series is the best?

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang
    Is there actually a good one? The ones I know all sucks. They deviate from the novel too much, and in untasteful manners.
    No, it is impossible for it to follow the novel. Xiao Yu Er gets way TOO MUCH "screen time" over his brother Hua Wu Que. He is like virtually in every scene for like a long period of the novel. I say 1/3 of the novel, he was there the whole time. He was either "onscreen" or he was hiding somewhere looking on at what his happening (on top of a roof, behind a curtain, yadda yadda).

If you want to see a faithful one to the novel, don't count on it. Which ones have you seen?

If you have not, try watching Two Honorable Knights. You can't find one that is faithful to the novel, all you can do, is find one that is "good enough".

Quote Originally Posted by Felix
    No, it is impossible for it to follow the novel. Xiao Yu Er gets way TOO MUCH "screen time" over his brother Hua Wu Que. He is like virtually in every scene for like a long period of the novel. I say 1/3 of the novel, he was there the whole time. He was either "onscreen" or he was hiding somewhere looking on at what his happening (on top of a roof, behind a curtain, yadda yadda).

If you want to see a faithful one to the novel, don't count on it. Which ones have you seen?

If you have not, try watching Two Honorable Knights. You can't find one that is faithful to the novel, all you can do, is find one that is "good enough".
    I don't mean the Hua Wuque screentime. I mean the general plot gets changed and stuff like that. Since it's an adaption, changing the storyline a little is inevitable. However, the adaptions I've seen are usually... well.

The ones I've only seen are Jimmy's and Nic's. Jimmy's I can't even watch pass one episode. Nic's is just too grossly changed.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

The ones I've only seen are Jimmy's and Nic's. Jimmy's I can't even watch pass one episode. Nic's is just too grossly changed.
    You should definitely check out the Tony Leung version then. I also think the 70s version is worth the watch, but that one is probably rare to find. Even if you do find the tapes, it is probably too old by now, the quality gets so deteriorated.

Jimmy Lin version was actually ok. Nic's version was just horrendous if you talk about faithfulness.

Quote Originally Posted by Felix
    Jimmy Lin version was actually ok. Nic's version was just horrendous if you talk about faithfulness.
    No, I got turned off as soon as I learnt that the two princesses were in love with Yan Nantian in Jimmy's version.

I don't think I could ever stomach any Legendary Siblings adaptions. Pity.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

No, I got turned off as soon as I learnt that the two princesses were in love with Yan Nantian in Jimmy's version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNNfEGoMOtM

Here is a clip of Tony's version of JDSJ. It is in Vietnamese though. Green girl is Su Ying. Her character is Su Ying and Mu Rong Jiu combined from the novel. The purple girl is Little Fairy Zhang Jing. Tony is Xiao Yu Er. And Kitty is Tie Xin Lan.

Actually only Princess Yao Yue is in love with Yan Nan Tian....Her sister Lian Xing fell for Jiang feng.....Its because Jiang Feng is the adopted brother of Yan Nan Tian, Princess Yao Yue forbid her sister from having a close relationship with him...allowing Yue Nu to capture Jiang Feng's heart without any competition...

Actually I dun kow why u feel dissapointed. For me this is just a minor twist....Its almost the same since its all because of love Princess Yao Yue wreak havoc.......So of coz in this series, Princess Yao Yue did not feel jealous of Yue Nu like in the novel since they are not competitiors....

And I dun understand why u all always fret about the lack of Su Ying...But for me, I believe that the producers cannot afford to have too many characters in the show. All the more they cannot follow exactly all the scene word by word in the novel even if they want to be 100% faithful....So I believe they remove Su Ying mainly becoz she appear very late in the novel and her character does not know any martial arts...Notice that the 2 lead actresses appear consistently throughout the show...
    Last edited by Dendroid King; 02-25-07 at 12:38 PM.

I've seen all three versions...and there's different things I like about it...but the original is the best...I liked Dicky Cheung and Nicholas Tse's Handsome Siblings because of the emphasis on their relationship as friends then brothers...but I hated that the biggest villain was a woman that ended up manipulating and killing so many people...The Jimmy Lin and Alec Su Legendary Siblings was a bit complicated...
    I'm not even Chinese or Thai, but I am obsessed with their TV series. Current obsession: Ken Theeradeth Wonpuapan. He has super good looks and is very talented.

Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    Of the 5 known JDSJ,

Sek Sau and Wong Yuen Sun,
    Hugo Ng and Tony Leung,
    ??? and Sharon Yeung,
    Alec Su and Jimmy Lin,
    Nicholas Tse and Dicky Cheung,

I would say Dicky's was the worse in terms of faithfulness to the novel.

Sharon's version was simply pathetic. Sharon played Xiao Yu Er. You thought it can't get crappier? Her brother is played by an actress too!!!

Sek Sau and Wong Yuen Sun version I think is good, except that was made in the 70s. Good luck trying to find that one.

I like Tony's and Jimmy's version the most. Tony portrayed the role of Little Fish really well. Though Jimmy's looks resembled the Xiao Yu Er in the novel more. Alec and Jimmy also look more alike than Hugo and Tony.

Jimmy's version I hear is too long, and sometimes I feel Tony's version is too short.

Faithful wise, even though they both deviate a lot, Alec and Jimmy version is the closest. But even so, Su Ying does not appear in that version. How can you have an adaptation that excludes the "main girl" in the story?

DO NOT WATCH Dicky's version. The only reason I watched it was because JDSJ is my favorite story, and Dicky is my favorite actor, other then that, the series is crap.
    I am still not finish Dicky version yet. Dicky obviously looks too old for the role. However, I think the storyline itself is great so far. As for love story, I really like Dicky and the Mu Rong Tien, it is very touching; too bad that she dies. So far, Mu Rong Tien is my favorite female character in Dicky version. Tony version is great, but his love story is too shallow. Dicky's Little Fish also get far more sreen time than his brother. The background music is also good. Jiang Bik Hak also has two daughters instead of having a son.
    http://www.cohongmusic.com/ProductImages/movie/dvd/tvbi/huongthanhlangtu.jpg
    The Golden Five Tigers of the 80s are the best wuxia artists ever!

Ai, I'm so late. ><
    I watched Dicky and Nic's version, and I thought it was pretty good. But in terms of following the story, it's horrible. I liked the comedy in the series and Dicky Cheung is one of my favorite actors. I think Nic is hot too

I watched a few episodes of Jimmy Lin's version, and it was okay, but a bit draggy. I think Tony's version may stick closest to the story... All of them have their good and bad points. Other than not following the novel (at all) Dicky's version makes a pretty good story... Oh, I forgot about the part where nearly EVERYONE dies. -_-

Am I the only one who watch the earliest series. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tw...979_TV_series)
    Now I understand, this series is only 17 episodes. I just remember it was a rush especially towards the end. I also remember the second sister is the bad villain. She became the Empress or concubine.

@wkeej As others pointed out, I think that the 1979 TVB version is not very easy to find. For example, on yesasia, I see a VCD release, which is out of print. I do like the cast though, so would like to check it out.

Now I wonder anyone vote the latest series as the best. I have stopped watching it.

Quote Originally Posted by texture View Post
    @wkeej As others pointed out, I think that the 1979 TVB version is not very easy to find. For example, on yesasia, I see a VCD release, which is out of print. I do like the cast though, so would like to check it out.
    The casting was weird and the last few eps of the story went really crazy like DSGS 81.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

The one with Tony Leung.