Thread: [ Nansou Satomi Hakkenden ]

Default [ Nansou Satomi Hakkenden ]

I couldn't find a topic for this, but thought I'd put it up for discussion.

Satomi Hakkenden aka Legend of the 8 Samurai.

I just watched this over the weekend. It's only six episodes long but originally came out of a 181 chapter book from the Sengoku period.

The subs weren't that great, but I understood 'em. Anyone watch this yet?

I stars Yukie Namaka and host of other actors/actresses such as Takizawa Hideaki and Ayase Haruka.

http://japan.videoland.com.tw/channel/satomi/

http://www.cjas.org/~echen/articles/...96/04_13b.html <--background info on original novel.
    Last edited by resident:alien; 01-19-07 at 05:36 PM.
    [ 空蕩的街景 想找個人放感情 做這種決定 是寂寞與我為鄰...我們的愛情 像你路過的風景 一直在進行 腳步卻從來不會為我而停...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名...你說愛像雲 要自在飄浮才美麗 我終於相信 分手的理由有時候很動聽...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名... 一直很安靜 ]

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/SatomiHakkenden.jpg')

In Japan this was shown as a 2 parter. I liked the story's blend of fantasy and taiga. And it was very well received because there was a star-studded cast: Takizawa Hideaki, Nakama Yukie, Watabe Atsuro, Oshio Manabu, Ayase Haruka, Kanno Miho, Sato Ryuta, Ozawa Yukiyoshi, Shoei, Yamada Yu, Katsuji Ryo, Yamashita Shoon, Oosugi Ren, Takeda Shinji, Jinnai Takanori, Sano Shiro, Sasaki Kuranosuke, Tomosaka Rie, Kaneda Akio, Izumi Pinko, Tanabe Seiichi, Kurokawa Tomoka. But the person who really captured my attention was Kanno Miho in her roles as the wicked, evil, manipulative Tamazusa and Myochin. She totally stole the show.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/Miho.jpg')

Satomi Hakkenden (The Legend of Satomi Clan and The Eight Dog Warriors) is based on the novel written by Kyokutei Bakin (1767-1848). He was born into the Samurai Class. His real name was Takizawa Okikuni. It took Bakin almost 30 years to finish Hakkenden. A complex story spanning 181 chapters, Satomi Hakkenden is considered one of the great literary works to emerge from the Edo/Tokugawa Era. It is the longest work of Japanese fiction and possibly the longest written romance ever.

The ladies of Satomi Hakkenden, from left to right:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/Ladies.jpg')

Nakama Yukie as Fusehime, Princess of the Satomi clan and "mother of the eight dog (inu) warriors."

Kanno Miho as Tamazusa and Myochin. Tamazusa was an enchantress who used her charms to manipulate men. Captured by the Satomi, she laid a curse on their progeny to walk the earth as mongrel dogs. Possessed by Tamazusa, Myochin inherits Tamazusa's hatred of the Satomi and constantly creates trouble for the Satomi.

Ayase Haruka as Hamaji, long lost Princess of the Satomi clan and younger sister of Fusehime who was spirited away by an eagle when still a baby. The foster child of Shino's uncle and aunt and Shino's betrothed.

Tomosaka Rie as Funamushi, love interest of Dosetsu and later possessed by Myochin.

Also Yamada Yu played one of the dog warriors though she played a guy who was as pretty as a girl. She was very good here better than Ayase Haruka as Hamaji because Hamaji's character was quite annoying with her constant Shino sama.

I LOVED satomi hakkenden and i thought the subs were quite good. Maybe you got it from a different source to me? It was an interesting story but i wished it was longer so that the characters would have more development. Apparently Takki's character is not the main character in the book, its suppose to be that kid with the closed fist who can control the wind. He's obviously the most powerful and his crystal thing has the best virtue out of all the eight virtues. However, he's also suppose to be a jerk.

Anyway, in the book i heard that all eight of them marry Satomi princesses. And all eight of them had their fists closed around their crystal unlike the way the movie presents them. Personally i like the creativity of the movie better than the book version.

I like almost everything about this series. The cast, the tastefully done special effects (the crystals are sooooooo pretty. I so want one) and the fighting is pretty awesome. Takki is one of my favourites in here. He was very good in the fighting scenes probably because he had just finished filming 40 eps of Yoshitsune. And ofcourse to me Takki is always great eye candy. But his acting is good not that his role really required that much acting.

yeah, that was one of the changes made to this adaptation. shinbei (the "kid") was supposed to be the main protagonist.

in the last adaptation i saw before this one (which starred Sonny Chiba and Hiroyuki Sanada), the story was altered but Shinbei was still the main protagonist.

Quote Originally Posted by Kara
    Also Yamada Yu played one of the dog warriors though she played a guy who was as pretty as a girl. She was very good here better than Ayase Haruka as Hamaji because Hamaji's character was quite annoying with her constant Shino sama.

I LOVED satomi hakkenden and i thought the subs were quite good. Maybe you got it from a different source to me? It was an interesting story but i wished it was longer so that the characters would have more development. Apparently Takki's character is not the main character in the book, its suppose to be that kid with the closed fist who can control the wind. He's obviously the most powerful and his crystal thing has the best virtue out of all the eight virtues. However, he's also suppose to be a jerk.

Anyway, in the book i heard that all eight of them marry Satomi princesses. And all eight of them had their fists closed around their crystal unlike the way the movie presents them. Personally i like the creativity of the movie better than the book version.

I like almost everything about this series. The cast, the tastefully done special effects (the crystals are sooooooo pretty. I so want one) and the fighting is pretty awesome. Takki is one of my favourites in here. He was very good in the fighting scenes probably because he had just finished filming 40 eps of Yoshitsune. And ofcourse to me Takki is always great eye candy. But his acting is good not that his role really required that much acting.
    [ 空蕩的街景 想找個人放感情 做這種決定 是寂寞與我為鄰...我們的愛情 像你路過的風景 一直在進行 腳步卻從來不會為我而停...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名...你說愛像雲 要自在飄浮才美麗 我終於相信 分手的理由有時候很動聽...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名... 一直很安靜 ]

I actually read some comments elsewhere that people who have watched the older movie prefer that one even though this one has cooler special effects and sword fighting.

Im kinda glad that Shinbei is not the main character. From the summaries that i read he seems like such a jerk and he gets the most powers. Plus he is a very ungrateful jerk. Fusehime and the dog she married (another thing the adaption differs from the book) teach him but he isnt grateful to them at all.

Yeah, he's supposed to be a real jerk. at one point, i believe they even banish him from coming near the group.

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Satomi_Hakkenden

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://wiki.d-addicts.com/static/images/thumb/7/71/250px-Satomihakkenden.jpg')