Thread: The Buddhist philosophy regarding killing of animals?

Default The Buddhist philosophy regarding killing of animals?

Does Buddhism (specifically: Shaolin temple) permit the killing of animals? In Pre-DGSD, Reverend Xuanku had slaughtered a wolf. Would this be acceptable for a high-ranking Buddhist monk?
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

well, since the 7th century Shaolin temple has embraced the Chan style of Buddhism. and you know, in Chan style, to be is not to be is to be. therefore killing is, in fact, not killing.
    but only eminent monks such as: Fang Zheng, Xuan ..., could understand that essential principle of Chan style, therefore only they were permitted to kill animals or people. lolz.
    Yang Guo & Zhou Botong said in Chapters 6, 11 & 25 of ROCH:
    - 这道姑也算得美了,只是还不及桃花岛郭伯母,更加不及我姑姑。
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。
    - 龙姑娘,我瞧你品貌才智,和那小黄蓉不相上下,武功也跟她差不离。

Shaolin can also kill people, as long it is for self protection
    在下日月神教陸教主是也

Quote Originally Posted by Loke-Gao-Zhu
    Shaolin can also kill people, as long it is for self protection
    no no, shaolin cannot kill people, but in the event of self protection or whatever activity, accident do happen

Jin Yong gave very elaborate explanations as to the Buddhist prohibitions and traditions in the 3rd Edition DGSD novel. According to him, there used to be monks who considered it a sinful act if they unknowingly trampled on ants. Then that tradition was revised with the "from the heart" rule - that is, did he do it deliberately and with pre-meditated intent? The Chan tradition that Shaolin Temple practised was not so strict about prohibitions - they emphasized personal enlightenment instead. The reason Xu Zhu and Xuanci were punished publicly was to protect the good name of Shaolin because their actions were already broadcasted publicly.

~ Edmund Lau
    Read my blogs at: Uncle Screwtape's Blogspot

In wuxia, people affiliated with religions that banned all kinds of sinful behaviors were often remarkably flexible about setting those restrictions aside whenever it was convenient to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    In wuxia, people affiliated with religions that banned all kinds of sinful behaviors were often remarkably flexible about setting those restrictions aside whenever it was convenient to do so.
    With all those Dragon Tiger Slaying Unmatched Deadly Shadowless Finger of Ultimate Doom style names that populate the 72 Arts which the Shaolin monks spend half their time on, its hard to believe they don't even want to harm a fly!

I mean, these guys devised not one, but 72! ways of cracking the hapless opponents skull.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but it always irked me when a monk would loudly proclaim they're going to break the killing vow and then jump into action. It's like loudly proclaiming it to everyone somehow validated it.

Screaming "ARgh! I'm gonna kill you!" and then killing them...well you're stilll getting locked up.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    Sorry to bump such an old thread, but it always irked me when a monk would loudly proclaim they're going to break the killing vow and then jump into action. It's like loudly proclaiming it to everyone somehow validated it.

Screaming "ARgh! I'm gonna kill you!" and then killing them...well you're stilll getting locked up.
    I think it was more to scare the opponent rather than to justify the actions... but yeah, it's funny how they always say that. Even someone as anti-social as Huang Yaoshi chose to use reverse psychology instead of declaring he was going to kill "Do you really think Old Heretic Huang wouldn't dare to kill?!!" That would have chilled my blood, actually. The "dai hoi sat kai" phrase is so overused (and rarely results in a kill) that it's lost its venom.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post

Thanks for that. This group has been dead since 3-4 days. I think we have probably exhausted every topic that we could possibly talk about and now have to reach out to antique, ancient threads posted 8-9 years ago or even more.

That would make them all hypocrites, no?

I've always found it a bit queer that Shaolin monks are often so involved in Wulin, often as leaders or would even take it upon themselves to "clean up the trash" or what not. Shouldn't they stay in temple? Didn't they "leave home" and leave behind all the so-called headaches of civilization? They shouldn't care whether a conflict between protagonist A and evil man F wins, cause either way, it should be same to them anyways.

I understand conversion or what not, but surely some of their actions goes way beyond that. Why are they part of Wulin in the first place? What do they gain for their cultivation from having and maintaining a connection with a bunch of fanatics and warriors and eccentrics? In some stories, it's Shaolin who leads Wulin to war and conflict. This is a direct contrast to their doctrine, no?

Also, I don't think this group is dead, though I have noticed a certain moderator doing his darnest to get everybody involved.