View Poll Results: choose 1

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • wuxia is good as it is

31 81.58%
  • wuxia is better if theres no history involved

7 18.42%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: would wuxia be better if it wasnt based on history?

Default would wuxia be better if it wasnt based on history?

as we all know, most wuxia is based on history (at least the condor series)... would it be better if jin yong juss made up a new universe where it had nothing to do with history? cause if that happened, maybe guo jin wouldnt of had died and stuff
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR
    as we all know, most wuxia is based on history (at least the condor series)... would it be better if jin yong juss made up a new universe where it had nothing to do with history? cause if that happened, maybe guo jin wouldnt of had died and stuff
    no, i like the historical aspect, even if JY doesn't stick to true history. For me, it presents a more "authentic" kind of world. There are actually quite a lot of interesting historical bits in his novels. I'd say the historical side is a contributing factor to most people's love of wuxia.

the history help made the stories better actually. It gives the character's and story more realism since it was place in a historical context along with real historical figures.

historical setting is fine for me. though, if it gets too political or it involves too many famous historical figures, i get a bit shaky
    Watch out! Dihydrogen Monoxide will kill us all!

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR
    well, then it may not be called wuxia..... since jy didnt describe how gj's ending, we can always imagine him to have the long life of an eldar

sheraldine

It depends. I enjoy Jin Yong's highly history-based stories, but I also like Gu Long's stories, which mostly do not relate much to history.

Nooooo, I pressed the wrong button! Pleas discard one count (the only one at this point) for the no history option.
    You do know that it is just fiction, dont you?

History is good for some styles of wuxia, but in my opinion it could also be a crutch. Western Fantasy has moved on from the legends of King Arthur and his knights to create new and unique fully developed worlds of their own, why not wuxia?

well, don't worry, AnhHung,
    that choice of yours can be counted as my choice.
    IMO, wuxia fiction would possibly be better if it is not based on a historical setting.
    being too dependent on history, then when historical stuff is used up, the writer would no longer be able to keep writing without declining.
    Yang Guo & Zhou Botong said in Chapters 6, 11 & 25 of ROCH:
    - 这道姑也算得美了,只是还不及桃花岛郭伯母,更加不及我姑姑。
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。
    - 龙姑娘,我瞧你品貌才智,和那小黄蓉不相上下,武功也跟她差不离。

Quote Originally Posted by Huang Rong
    well, don't worry, AnhHung,
    that choice of yours can be counted as my choice.
    IMO, wuxia fiction would possibly be better if it is not based on a historical setting.
    being too dependent on history, then when historical stuff is used up, the writer would no longer be able to keep writing without declining.
    In that case, did you help AnhHung cast his vote?

yeah, certainly . for the poll to be correct, I voted my choice for the 1st option.
    Yang Guo & Zhou Botong said in Chapters 6, 11 & 25 of ROCH:
    - 这道姑也算得美了,只是还不及桃花岛郭伯母,更加不及我姑姑。
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。
    - 龙姑娘,我瞧你品貌才智,和那小黄蓉不相上下,武功也跟她差不离。

Quote Originally Posted by Huang Rong
    yeah, certainly . for the poll to be correct, I voted my choice for the 1st option.
    Thanx. Nice gesture

Quote Originally Posted by AnhHung
    Nooooo, I pressed the wrong button!
    Btw, AnhHung, I hope you don't work at a Nuclear Power Plant.

Quote Originally Posted by sheraldine
    well, then it may not be called wuxia..... since jy didnt describe how gj's ending, we can always imagine him to have the long life of an eldar

sheraldine
    Actually, it's described in "Heaven Sword Dragon Sabre" that Guo Jing, Huang Rong, and their youngest son Guo Po Ru dies while trying to defend Xiang Yang.

To the TC...with the much characterization that JY gives his characters, GJ is bound to have a heroic death, no matter whether it's realistic (historical) or not. It's the character, not the plot that made Guo Jing die.

I like it either way but I voted for no history involved because I believe a greater story can be made if it has no historical restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeung Gor
    Btw, AnhHung, I hope you don't work at a Nuclear Power Plant.
    No worries, we have an excellent security manager, Mr H. Simpson. He'll make sure that nothing can go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by 0-0-0
    no, i like the historical aspect, even if JY doesn't stick to true history. For me, it presents a more "authentic" kind of world. There are actually quite a lot of interesting historical bits in his novels. I'd say the historical side is a contributing factor to most people's love of wuxia.
    JY involving history gives it the "real" feeling to it. I think many like JY cause he worked so hard in his novels. I heard he studied up on Chinese history and stuff. That requires hard work.

Without actual history, wuxia might turn out to be like Dragon Ball Z, out of this world accomplishments.

I sort of like the historical attachments. It seems to make the story more realistic and interesting. I think a great example would be LYS's A Step in the Past. It was interesting because of its historical relations.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    It depends. I enjoy Jin Yong's highly history-based stories, but I also like Gu Long's stories, which mostly do not relate much to history.
    Again, "Hypertime" allows all stories to be told - history or no history. As long as they are good stories.

Personally, I prefer stories with strong historical background (e.g. SSRB, DOMD, FFSM). They somehow feel more "weighty" compared to those without historical background. However, those without historical background (e.g. Gu Long) do serve their purpose as a commentary on the human condition - irregardless of which era/culture.

~ Edmund Lau
    Read my blogs at: Uncle Screwtape's Blogspot

I remember reading a Wuxia fantasy novel when I was a kid (can't remember the name). Which was kind of like a mix of wuxia, Chinese fantasy, and western fantasy.

It involved Wuxia swordsman with inner power and all that jazz (the main character), mages with bronze golems (the wizards are just like western fantasy magic users, lots of magic but no fighting skills), and lots evil demonic infestation.

It was highly entertaining and I liked it. But I guess the trend never caught on. And the setting for the novel was in a complete non-earth world.