Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Parental Guidance

Default Parental Guidance

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/php4xKhVs.gif')

Did anyone catch this drama that just started airing tonight at 8.30pm? It stars Jessica Hester Hsuan and Adrian Pang as two lawyers who have a love-hate relationship with each other, and are distantly related through marriage. The sudden demise of their brother and cousin, respectively, results in them being suddenly saddled with the guardianship of three children. Neither of them are willing to give up the guardianship rights and by some flawed reasoning that a union would be the best for all parties, they enter into a marriage of convenience - an arrangement which should have been the best of arrangements, except the two of them have no clue about caring for anyone other than themselves, much less three young children.

Half and hour dramas with so many ads in between makes it very unsettling and difficult to get into the story. It seems promising. I'm biased whenever Adrian Pang appears.
    Last edited by jade_frosts; 02-08-07 at 10:55 PM.

No, because I'm not sure of the timing and date. Is it every Thursday?
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

I like it so far. They don't go out of their way to generate laughs, and their bickering seemed spontaneous.

And it's nice not having to deal with phoney American accents. Yay
    The Truth is out there
    I say we leave it there...

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang
    No, because I'm not sure of the timing and date. Is it every Thursday?
    Yep, Thursdays 8.30-9.00pm Ch5. Like MrIllusion says, it seems good!

Oh wait...I have some grouses. I'm not sure whether anyone thought the way I did, but I found that the use of Marigold and Tiger Beer were like blatant product placements, and it kind of annoyed me.
    Last edited by jade_frosts; 02-08-07 at 11:01 PM.

Yup... watched it last nite.... so far so good.....

just cant stand the commercial breaks...it makes the show seems so short

would be great if it was a 1hr show.. hahaz

=)

Watched the debut eps. last night, quite funny I thought. Oh yes, the commercial breaks were so irritating! Hehe Kenneth Tsang seems to be taking old & flirty dad role always... Maybe it's just me but sometimes I can't hear Jessica's dialogues clearly coz she was speaking it very fast Anyway I shall watch PG every Thursday night...

The New Paper on Parental Guidance which airs tonight! Don't miss it.

PG stands for Pretty Good
    By Yeoh Wee Teck

February 13, 2007

ONCE in a long while comes the almost perfect TV show. New local dramedy Parental Guidance isn't it, but it tries.

Hong Kong actress Jessica Hester Hsuan stars as Ling, an ambitious and uptight lawyer who ends up being guardian to her late cousin's three children.

Ling has to share custody with James (Adrian Pang), a messy playboy who is also a lawyer.

His brother, who died suddenly in an accident, was the father of the same three moppets.

Of course Ling and James cannot get along, but to ensure the children have a home, they get married.

And the period of adjustment and sacrifice begins - which is essentially what Parental Guidance is about.

Jessica's fans will have to adjust to hearing her speak English instead of Cantonese, but they'll be happy to know the quality of her acting has not been compromised.

That comment might've come across as bordering on cheesy. But then again, so is the script and plot.

Everything is just too neat.

Oh, the children are with James but a rat appears, and off they go to Ling and they end up having to live together.

Oh, the cute children are all too adorable, each with a dash of quirkiness.

Oh, the sexual tension is simmering between James and Ling.

Oh, James' father (played by Kenneth Tsang) is funny and a horny old devil.

Phew - it's almost tiring.

And then there is the overdone product placement - you see same beer and fruit juice all the time.

But the acting saves this show, it makes the sitcom work.

Jessica's accent may be a bit too proper, but thanks to her many years on TV, she is natural and likeable. She is a joy to watch, even when she careens towards overacting.

Adrian is an actor's actor, and is possibly the best we have in Singapore. MediaCorp seems determined to use him only in comedies, which is a waste because he has such a range.

The good acting is also upheld by the supporting cast.

And kudos to the cinematography team - the lush colours and the gorgeously-
    shot locations show a new side to Singapore.

Parental Guidance is not perfect, but it's pleasant enough. Let's give it a chance for trying.

How many episodes?
    *A smile is contagious; be a carrier*

Quote Originally Posted by bubcas
    How many episodes?
    I don't think there's any news on that. Not that I know of at least. They've shown 4 episodes so far but the plot hasn't progressed that much (how can it since there are two rounds of commercials within the half an hour timeslot) so I guess maybe we can expect 10-15 episodes?

i think there are only 13 episodes...

It's hard to get much plot development in half an hour. Much less actually care for the characters. Adrian and Jessica do seem like they're throwing their all into it but the roles they play feel like caricatures rather than well fleshed out characters. The scenes are quite contrived (bordering on cheesy) ie. the bear on the car roof and the panic rush to see the doctor, and the dialogue comes across as unnatural in some instances. Do we actually say such things in real life?

Also, Parental Guidance seems to suffer the confusion of trying to be both drama and comedy to its own detriment. It was promising, but it isn't a must see.
    Last edited by jade_frosts; 03-02-07 at 09:36 PM.

i thought this series is okay so far, but I must admit that none of the characters feel real to me; as jade_frosts stated above, they seemed like "caricatures". Also, while I think the acting was okay, the way lines were delivered seemed overexergerated (esp the oldest of the three kids; she sounds too intellectual)
    How come most 江湖 (jiānghú) wanderers never worry about money? I wonder how a 大俠 (dàxiá) make a living...does meddling in people's business and righting wrongs pay well?

i like the episode where they rushed to the hospital 3 times in a day! that was so funny...and also the part where Jessica pretended she was pregnant, her belly! haha...and adrian pang is a great actor, although i've only seen him in one series before this one.

it's nice though to see Jessica in an all english series, she's pretty good in it too!she's my fav actress !

anyway, yeah...the ads are annoying! and because it's short, everything seemed very rushed and not enough character developments. i understand it's supposed to be a comedy but i hope it gets better soon in upcoming episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by avanpiper
    i like the episode where they rushed to the hospital 3 times in a day! that was so funny...and also the part where Jessica pretended she was pregnant, her belly! haha...and adrian pang is a great actor, although i've only seen him in one series before this one.

it's nice though to see Jessica in an all english series, she's pretty good in it too!she's my fav actress !

anyway, yeah...the ads are annoying! and because it's short, everything seemed very rushed and not enough character developments. i understand it's supposed to be a comedy but i hope it gets better soon in upcoming episodes.
    Jessica and Adrian are great but the script could really be better. I hope the drama improves as it goes along but the trailer for the next episode doesn't look promising. It looks cringe-worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by jade_frosts
    Jessica and Adrian are great but the script could really be better. I hope the drama improves as it goes along but the trailer for the next episode doesn't look promising. It looks cringe-worthy.
    yeah, i hope the scripts get better soon. or it'll seem like they're trying too hard kinda thing...

I saw only 1 & 2 so far BUT it is funny and good.

If anyone has a computer and want to download on their comp ... so they do not have to bear the commercials why not try to download it

I do luv how Kenneth Tsang is so carefree and having fun all the time. I have not seen him like this in a long time. I also luved how he treated Adian like a friend more than a son. BUT it make u think his youngest son just died does he not show remorse???

It is great to see Jessica going to other places and show other countries of her acting abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by om369
    I saw only 1 & 2 so far BUT it is funny and good.

If anyone has a computer and want to download on their comp ... so they do not have to bear the commercials why not try to download it

This sitcom sounds really interesting, usually I watch Korean/Japanese dramas with english subtitles, so to watch with English audio would be good - although where do I download it from?

Quote Originally Posted by freezspirit
    This sitcom sounds really interesting, usually I watch Korean/Japanese dramas with english subtitles, so to watch with English audio would be good - although where do I download it from?
    I don't think there's any site where you can download the drama besides mobtv where you'd have to pay. Maybe someone will eventually capture and share it but it's hard to say.

I saw this series on Youtube. It's pretty funny haha. It's also good..i enjoyed it
    Favourites; Charmaine;Raymond;Ron;Myolie;Bosco

I thought the plot is pretty boring, maybe a few scenes funny but still it's not as good as it seems. Anyway I do like the ending song which originated from the sub theme from My Lovely Samsoon, so nice!