View Poll Results: Who is "Number One Under Heaven"?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Xiao Feng

23 44.23%
  • Zhang SanFeng

20 38.46%
  • Zhang Wuji

8 15.38%
  • Xiao YuanShan

1 1.92%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sword Meet of Mount Wah: Final Round!

Default Sword Meet of Mount Wah: Final Round!

From Round 2, the top 2 candidates that have most votes from group A are ex-Beggar Clan Leader Xiao Feng and WuDang Founder Zhang SanFeng. And for group B, the top 2 candidates with most votes are ex-Ming Cult Leader Zhang Wuji and Xiao Feng's Daddy Xiao YuanShan.

These 4 candidates are the remaining combatants for this glorious Final Round.

Vote for the one you deem to hail over all others in this Sword Meet of Mount Wah:

1. ex-Beggar Union Leader Xiao Feng (Xiang Long 18 Zhang, Dog-Beating Stick Technique, Shaolin Dragon Claws, Shaolin Demon-Subduing Palms)

2. WuDang Founder Zhang SanFeng (Tai Chi Fist, Tai Chi Sword Technique, parts of Nine Yang Manual, WuDang Martial Arts)

3. ex-Ming Cult Leader Zhang WuJi (9 Yang Manual, Tai Chi Fist, Tai Chi Sword Technique, Qian Kun Da Lo Yee)

4. Xiao Feng's Daddy Xiao YuanShan (a few elite Shaolin Martial Arts)

Discuss, vote and cheer for the one you deem strongest.

What the hell, 4 contestants and it boiled down to The Zhangs and the Xiaos! The feud must be settled now.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

LOL. TEAM WAR for next thread: Zhangs versus Xiaos!!!!

i must say, i was kinda nervous that Z3F was not gonna make it with GJ always right behind him in votes.

it was nearly impossible for me to choose between the 2 Zhangs!
    finally, i decided to go for Zhang Sanfeng, since he'd be my son-in-law.
    Yang Guo & Zhou Botong said in Chapters 6, 11 & 25 of ROCH:
    - 这道姑也算得美了,只是还不及桃花岛郭伯母,更加不及我姑姑。
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。
    - 龙姑娘,我瞧你品貌才智,和那小黄蓉不相上下,武功也跟她差不离。

"Soft overcomes Hard" + "4 grams moves 1000 kilos" ftw!
    w00t!

Haha, how ironic. Augster intended to ask who would win in a match in which each character is around a Greats level, yet none from LOCH or ROCH made it to the Finals. Instead we have the father-son Xiaos from DGSD and grandmaster-student Cheungs from HSDS.

Alright, in this case, it has to be Xiaos v Cheungs, in a 2 on 2 match. Then the remaining two face each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Felix
    Haha, how ironic. Augster intended to ask who would win in a match in which each character is around a Greats level, yet none from LOCH or ROCH made it to the Finals. Instead we have the father-son Xiaos from DGSD and grandmaster-student Cheungs from HSDS.

Alright, in this case, it has to be Xiaos v Cheungs, in a 2 on 2 match. Then the remaining two face each other.
    i wanted and intended Old Urchin ZBT to make the final round but alas, he didn't even make it outta the first round.

Xiao Feng admitted that he could not wield a soft weapon such as a whip as deftly as his father. Plus, when Xiao Yuanshan barged into Shaolin, he suddenly fell from the sky from 10+ zhang away, startling every expert in the entire mountain. Xiao Yuanshan's martial arts have truly reached the peak of perfection.

Except Xiao Yuanshan was on the verge of killing himself with his martial arts; he was able to match Xiao Feng only because he pushed himself to his limit. None of the other 3 have this "limitation".

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen
    Except Xiao Yuanshan was on the verge of killing himself with his martial arts; he was able to match Xiao Feng only because he pushed himself to his limit. None of the other 3 have this "limitation".
    Well, since you put it that way:

Zhang Sanfeng was probably on the verge of dying due to old age.
    Xiao Feng was on the verge of dying due to plot requirement.
    Xiao Yuanshan was fine before the plot device revealed, then suddenly 3 of the 4 DGSD Elites were revealed to be on the verge of killing themselves.

But, lest not forget, Xiao Yuanshan underwent therapy under the Sweeper Monk and became more enlightened.

All of the other 3 had better martial arts than Xiao Yuanshan initially. Zhang Wuji in particular had the biggest sh*tload of goodies to pump him up. Can Zhang Wuji or Zhang Sanfeng use nameless kung fu to defeat the combined forces of tens of elite central plains warriors? I doubt that very much.

Plots aside. Xiao Yuanshan learned enough Shaolin kung fu (some of the best) to equal (if not surpass) what Zhang Wuji learned. Demon Subdueing palm (in theory) shouldn't be below either 9 Yang or Tai Chi Quan. Xiao Feng also had that one kung fu where he was able to suck the sword into his hand, based upon everyone's reaction, it's not a low level martial art by any measure of the stick. Xiang Long 28 Zhang should be close to equal Tai Chi. Xiao Feng has the advantage of learning martial arts since very young. Zhang Wuji is a late bloomer.

Xiao Yuanshan learned enough Shaolin kung fu (some of the best) to equal (if not surpass) what Zhang Wuji learned
    Well, after Xiao Yuanshan picked up several Shaolin kung fu, yes he probably had more to work with than Zhang Sanfeng. But initially, I believe he had less, otherwse he probably wouldn't be so pleased to find the manual of the Formless Finger of Doom.

Demon Subdueing palm (in theory) shouldn't be below either 9 Yang or Tai Chi Quan. Xiao Feng also had that one kung fu where he was able to suck the sword into his hand, based upon everyone's reaction, it's not a low level martial art by any measure of the stick. Xiang Long 28 Zhang should be close to equal Tai Chi. Xiao Feng has the advantage of learning martial arts since very young. Zhang Wuji is a late bloomer.
    So you believe that an individual supreme art of Shaolin can compare to 9 Yang, Taiji, or Qiankun Danuoyi? I don't subscribe to that notion at all. If Zhang Wuji trained in one of the supreme arts instead of 9 Yang, would he become unmatched throughout the realm within a few years? No way! As for Taiji, Jin Yong claimed that the emergence of this new art opened up new realms of possibility in the field of martial arts, implying that there was nothing in existence that could match it in theory. In short, I don't think the individual 72 supreme arts can compare to Taiji, 9 Yang, or the Great Reversal.

The Great Reversal helped Zhang Wuji make up for lost time. Had Zhang Wuji begun learning a martial art appropriate to his personality under a great master at a young age, I'd argue that he would still be a match for Xiao Feng. Zhang Wuji had Guo Jing's discipline and dedication along with Yang Guo's intelligence. One of the reasons that Zhang Wuji was able to learn 9 Yang on his own was because of his medical knowledge; even his medical knowledge was largely self taught.

Also, I remember that the top Shaolin arts is every bit the match for 9 Yang in terms of internal power cultivation. Demon Subdueing Palm is a 3rd edition addition. I think Jin Yong realized that he had to come up with a reason that Xiao Feng was so powerful internally.
    Last edited by Dennis Chen; 02-14-07 at 09:09 PM.

The Great Reversal helped Zhang Wuji make up for lost time. Had Zhang Wuji begun learning a martial art appropriate to his personality under a great master at a young age, I'd argue that he would still be a match for Xiao Feng. Zhang Wuji had Guo Jing's discipline and dedication along with Yang Guo's intelligence. One of the reasons that Zhang Wuji was able to learn 9 Yang on his own was because of his medical knowledge; even his medical knowledge was largely self taught.
    If you maintain that one supreme art = 9 Yang, and that Xiao Feng trained his art 2 to 3 times longer than Zhang Wuji, and that they're at the same level, then that implies Zhang Wuji is 2 to 3 times more talented than Xiao Feng?

Also, I remember that the top Shaolin arts is every bit the match for 9 Yang in terms of internal power cultivation. Demon Subdueing Palm is a 3rd edition addition. I think Jin Yong realized that he had to come up with a reason that Xiao Feng was so powerful internally.
    But The mere existence of a named internal art for Xiao Feng doesn't mean it's equal to 9 Yang.

The novel said "the best treasure in Shaolin" is a match for 9 Yang, but the best treasure in Shaolin should not be the supreme arts, or else Kongwen would be better aftering master 11 of those supreme arts.

NOOOO!!!!!!!! Guo Jing lost!
    Hahaha...these are all characters from wuxia novels I don't know much about...
    Well, I guess I'll vote for Xiao Feng! He seems like a good guy.
    hu ge, yang mi, yuan hong, liu shishi.
    wang luodan, li guangjie.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    If you maintain that one supreme art = 9 Yang, and that Xiao Feng trained his art 2 to 3 times longer than Zhang Wuji, and that they're at the same level, then that implies Zhang Wuji is 2 to 3 times more talented than Xiao Feng?
    No, Zhang Wuji only trained 9 Yang for 5 years, but his case was a special one. If it weren't for the special bag of No Say Monk, his internal wouldn't have gotten the boost(refinement?) that he would've gotten with many more years of training. QQDNY also helped release his internal energy potential and all those other great stuff. Under normal training, he would've needed to train much longer than he did. How much longer? Could be 5, 10 , or 15 more years. Could be longer, depending on how diligent he would be training. When he trained 9 Yang, he had nothing else to do since he was stuck in a cave. It would not be the same as Guo Jing training 9 Yin while being at war with the Mongols in the same period of time.

Unless Zhang Sanfeng is stabbed before the fight, I don't see him losing to anyone. My vote goes to Zhang Jen Ren.

I don't see Xiao Feng losing to anyone, even if he WAS stabbed before the fight. Heck, Zhang Sanfeng thought he might have problems with freaking Ah San!

Xiao Feng ftw.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing
    I don't see Xiao Feng losing to anyone, even if he WAS stabbed before the fight. Heck, Zhang Sanfeng thought he might have problems with freaking Ah San!

Xiao Feng ftw.
    LOL...ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing

Xiao Feng ftw.
    But Xiao Feng died after he stabbed himself. Zhang Sanfeng was still standing and preparing to fight after the stab.