Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Madame Ma's "martial arts?" (with a huge side order of adaptation quality debate)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    I sat through most of it admiring the ladies' physiques and wondering when Kiu Fung would show up (he never does, as this movie isn't about that aspect of DGSD at all).
    Is this the one with Zhang Min and Gong Li and the fleshy bits all spilling out of the costumes version?
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing
    What she did, if I recall correctly, was just make a pointing motion, not actually demonstrate Yi Yangzhi.
    In DGSD '81, she was actually able to make a small tear in the paper wall.

Quote Originally Posted by CC
    Is this the one with Zhang Min and Gong Li and the fleshy bits all spilling out of the costumes version?
    That would indeed be the one. Nobody can tell me that as a whole, the DGSD '81 TV series was less accurate to the novel than this movie was.

That would indeed be the one. Nobody can tell me that as a whole, the DGSD '81 TV series was less accurate to the novel than this movie was.
    Like some other HK movies, I felt that this one wasted the acting talent and the budget. It could have been a great movie if only the director didn't fall for the 'laser beam and exploding rocks hyperspeed storyline' syndrome.

If they were going to do all that fancy flying and energy beams, might as well have included SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan in the movie. That alone would have redeemed the show.

Yes, if I were to make an adaption of DGSD, at the forefront of the story would be Taoist Buping, Zhao Qiansun, Grandpa Tan, IMPARTIAL JUDGE Shan Zheng, You Tanzhi's father, Murong Fu's mother, Ma Dayuan, Pre-30 years Wang Jiantong, and Post-31 years SWORD GOD (who may have reached a level enough to match Xuzhu). Viewers of my adaption will be wondering: "who are Duan Yu, Qiao Feng, Ah Zi, and Wang Yuyan? "
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    Yes, if I were to make an adaption of DGSD, at the forefront of the story would be Taoist Buping, Zhao Qiansun, Grandpa Tan, IMPARTIAL JUDGE Shan Zheng, You Tanzhi's father, Murong Fu's mother, Ma Dayuan, Pre-30 years Wang Jiantong, and Post-31 years SWORD GOD (who may have reached a level enough to match Xuzhu). Viewers of my adaption will be wondering: "who are Duan Yu, Qiao Feng, Ah Zi, and Wang Yuyan? "
    It would be kind of interesting to do a Tsui Yin Manor movie told from the victims' point of view. How does it feel to get slaughtered by Kiu Fung?

What?!!? No FAST SABRE Qi Liu???
    Last edited by CC; 02-21-07 at 05:29 AM.

please don't miss out Elder Xu, the only person in Jin Yong's universe that is alluded to have survived a lightning bolt!
    and Lotus Fairy Cui Luhua as well.
    Yang Guo & Zhou Botong said in Chapters 6, 11 & 25 of ROCH:
    - 这道姑也算得美了,只是还不及桃花岛郭伯母,更加不及我姑姑。
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。
    - 龙姑娘,我瞧你品貌才智,和那小黄蓉不相上下,武功也跟她差不离。

Elder Xu? Well, he can be in there as a _secondary_ character. Such a magnificent movie must reserve the lead roles to only legendary heroes with _Awe_Insipiring_ Titles_ like SWORD GOD, FAST SABRE and IMPARTIAL JUDGE!

QFT.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Thank you, I knew I missed someone important! How could I forget about the one whose timing has surpassed the level of perfection?

Elder Xu, we can come up with a title for him. How about Lightning Endurer?
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

*deleted* .
    Last edited by CC; 02-22-07 at 05:12 AM.

I think Ao Lei Xu - 傲雷 Xu - Lightning Despiser Xu would be a good nickname.
    Yang Guo & Zhou Botong said in Chapters 6, 11 & 25 of ROCH:
    - 这道姑也算得美了,只是还不及桃花岛郭伯母,更加不及我姑姑。
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。
    - 龙姑娘,我瞧你品貌才智,和那小黄蓉不相上下,武功也跟她差不离。

As I recall in DGSD97, what she actually did was poke hole in a scroll painting hung on the wall from a short distance.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Have anyone seen Dragon Story yet? The DGSD movie made by TVB starring most of the old casts. Idy Chan as Wang Yu Yan, Felix Wong as Xu Zhu, Kent Tong as Duan Yu, Austin Wai as Mu Rong Fu, Norman Tsui as Kiu Fung, Gao Hung (sp?) as Jiumozhi, among others.

That at least was more closer to the novel than that pathetic Frankie Lam version. That dealt more with the Xiao Yao people than any of the DGSD main characters. In there, I think Xu Zhu character fell in love with TSTL. And yeah, this movie also had lesbian theme. Almost as funny as ZBT being a woman and falling in love with her Wang Chong Yang...in the one outrageously hilarious meant-to-be-comedic LOCH movie.

It would be kind of interesting to do a Tsui Yin Manor movie told from the victims' point of view. How does it feel to get slaughtered by Kiu Fung?
    Or from the surviving people. They would make the most outrageous stories. "We were all having a discussion, when Kiu Fung the barbarian started talking loudly like a wild man, he proceeded to make everyone drink alcohol with him. And when we were OBVIOUSLY all drunk, he used this time to attack us. Naturally we all fought at him. Of course, you know they were just doing it for justice."

Slaughter at Tsui Yin Manor - a special DGSD documentary - here is your host Barbara Walters.

Elder Xu? Well, he can be in there as a _secondary_ character. Such a magnificent movie must reserve the lead roles to only legendary heroes with _Awe_Insipiring_ Titles_ like SWORD GOD, FAST SABRE and IMPARTIAL JUDGE!
    I agree with CC on this one, the main stars must have catchy names and luring personalities. This is how you get people to pay and watch it. Obviously, we can get rid of Sweeper Monk (a janitor for sake, who wants to watch a movie about a janitor), Kiu Fung (no Conan the Barbarian), Xu Zhu (not another religious movie).

Thank you, I knew I missed someone important! How could I forget about the one whose timing has surpassed the level of perfection?

Elder Xu, we can come up with a title for him. How about Lightning Endurer?
    Oh my, so even despite the great reputation Sword God already possess, the title of fastest actually belongs to someone else? Or unless since it is Sword and Sabre, it would be unfair to judge on that way cause they have different weapons?

So after that incident, does Ah Zhu knows who the person who did it was? Or did she only knew that this person knows Yat Yeung Finger? Was it during the confusion of DJT being guilty for something else, that they thought it was him? Why not suspect the other Yat Yeung Finger users at that time? I am sure the Dali king knew the move didn't he?

Ken,

It's paper, even I can make a small tear in paper. I don't think that requires any martial arts, just a bit of saliva.