Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which version of The Demi-Gods Semi-Devils is the BEST?

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Radken View Post
    I think DGSD 97 was the only time when Benny Chan's acting didn't annoy me. Coincidently, it was also his first role in a tv series. And no one made HL18P looked more spectacular than Felix Wong then or since..
    I think the one done by GJ in LOCH2008 also look cool and powerful in fact I think only LOCH2008 truly shown how GREAT that all those 5 greats are.

love the 97 one... i think i'm ok with the 82. the '03 series' actresses are nice but the actors are just so duh...

DGSD 97 is definitely the best version. In fact, i regard it as one of my favorite wuxia's of all time!

I think in terms of adaption and accuracy to the novel the 97 version was the best(especially towards the end). But in terms of acting and costumes, the 80s version was better. However, they changed the story way too much towards the end that it was no longer DGSD...
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

I've only watched the 1996 and new mainland china one...

they both got their pros and cons. I preffered some of the cast from the mainland chinese most of them..but I like felix protrayal more. The 1996 cast isn't bad..it loost most in custome and set, the chemistry of benny character with wang yu yan is lacking and ah chu isn't as outstand compare to mainland.

ah...don't know which to pick..both have good and bad points.

Quote Originally Posted by TiffTiff View Post
    Agree, DGSD 97 or 96 w/ Felix, Benny & Carmen were the best! Cool music & fighting scenes. I cried when A Zhu died

I don't like the mainland remakes, b/c they make the story longer and full of special effects. Not only that, the people talk & move so slowwwwwww.

Heaven Sword & something Sabre w/ Lawrence Ng & Gigi Lai were so horrible. That guy was old & uglie as hell. Charmaine Seh was uglie too
    I don't really like the mainland adaptions either (although they're getting better). The talking, acting and movements are always so slow. The story moves at a much slooower pace too which I can't bear. The 96 version is just epic. The 2003 version was a bore for me.

I've expressed my opinion on this subject before, somewhere in this forum, but here I go again.

As an adaptation, 1997 is the best - the faithfulness, the tight writing, except during the part where A Zhu dies. It drags on and on, Xiao Feng cries and talks and cries and talks, etc. The cliffhangers at the end of each episode are well done. Better actor chemistry in general (A Zi even has chemistry with the Four Swords, whoa), better character exploration. My only complaint is that Xiao Feng acts too dignified and looks too natty, not hot-blooded enough.

I like almost all the actors in 2003 (Tianshan Tonglao and Liu Qiushui really steal the show). I said almost, because You Tanzhi's actor is rather weak in his acting. I even like Liu Yifei's portrayal, though it's mostly to do with the script than her acting - she shows that, for all her intelligence and knowledge, Wang Yuyan is still a very young girl. It probably helps that Chen Hao's A Zi is strikingly pretty, if a bit long in the tooth, and is made more sympathetic.

1982: I don't remember very much about it, only that it has the best Murong Fu. His looks, his aloofness, it's just like in the novel. The Four Evils look like villains, and Ye Erniang for once doesn't look like some glamorous singer ready to climb onto the stage. The slow pace and the changes might be off-putting, especially for today's audience.

Conclusion: 1997 is the best adaptation, despite the sadly obvious limited budget. 2003 is more entertaining visually and would be what I recommend to newcomers to wuxia.
    Last edited by leorio; 08-05-10 at 06:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by resident:alien View Post
    It was a rollercoaster ride for me. Of all the ZJZ produced JY-"masterpieces," TLBB is my favorite. The one I hate the most is ROCH 2006, but that's another tangent.
    Yeah, it was definitely TLBB 2003 which stood out among all of ZJZ's productions.

whichever version got Carmen Lee in it then it's the best

all of my family, friends, old folks i know that lives in stockton, ca would say the 97 or 80s version is best. they don't like 03 version because of the pacing of the story, n characters portrayal. the graphics weren't all that, only good was scenery, but who the hell care about scenery when there looking for good fight scenes, explosions, graphics, ost, beautiful actress etc?

tvb being low budget, they give you that wuxia feeling when watching there series. tell me any of zjz series that gave you were in a fantasy area? all of his series tend to fail, he only focus too much on the 2 main leads, the scenery, and flying hair n cloth. his action sequence has too much levitation, some looks nice, but most looks too fake.

thats why i actually prefer tvb better. thats why i like watching li guo li series. being from tvb, his video quality is like that of tvb, with the good ost, casting, scenery is bout good as zjz, only thing he needs is very good cgi team. but his action scenes choreography looks nice and not fake like zjz.

so hands down tvb 97 demi god is the best. even up to date all of my friends watching 03 to 97 we enjoy 97 use of cgi since we see more variety of the dragon palm, it shows everyone had different colors of chi and their techniques are represented by that color of cgi.

i think people tend to like 03 is because of li yie fei, n jimmy lin, which both of there acting haven't improved a bit. reading every forum about demi god 03, that and having good scenery is what seems to make people like these versions. while people like me 24, watching 80s series to new series, we can really tell the different acting between the generations. so acting wise, action wise, ost wise, character wise, 97 demi god had the best, also most of duan yi sister looks hot.

I also vote 1997 TVB version the best. In terms of scenery, settings, and filming skills it's not as beautiful as the 2003 version and most of the girls aren't as beautiful, but it does really give the wuxia feel. I think the biggest dislike I had for the 2003 version was Qiao Feng. It's about the way he looks. Felix Wong has a more barbaric look which I think suited the Qiao Feng feel. If everyone is the same (acting skills and age frozen) and it is filmed in 2003, I think it'd be amazing considering I like it the way it is already.
    Last edited by chancy426; 02-01-12 at 07:34 PM.

DGSD '97. Although the scenery & CGI effects weren't as good as the 2003, I still enjoyed it very much. Everyone had chemistry and the hand-to-hand combat was awesome. It was also very faithful to novel as well.
    Simon the Snowblower.
    Check out hilarious Jin Yong Adaptations' bloopers!

DGSD 1997 is absouletly the BEST version. Not only best but I also loved most out of 2 versions. Watching DGSG '97 like reading the novels, it has good storyline throughout the movie; which make you understand the story comepletely. I like Felix Wong. He's very handsome in here. Benny is cute and memorable. Carman Lee is as beautiful as ever and adorable. She played both mother's role and daughter's role. She played mother's role is awesome. I like her displayed the mother's character better.

Overall DGSD 1997 is the GREATEST version!!

wading in many years from the last post... I love the Hu Jun version for the best Qiao Feng Portrayal as well as the most realistic fight scenes....