Thread: J-drama: 14 year-old mother

Default J-drama: 14 year-old mother

Has anyone else watched this? All in all I'd give it 3.5/5. Well-paced, logical story but somehow feels like it's trying to guilt Japanese women into having more children. A refreshing change to the typical silly-teen-gets-knocked-up, wants-to-take-easy way-out or doesn't-care-about-consequences, just-wants-to-have-baby-because-she-can scenario. Actually shows some backbone. As to how someone so naive can be trapped into having a baby so easily, I don't really know. The typical kid gets to know about sex way before 14 years of age from whatever means. Also shows how judgmental society is in general, with the initial resentment from classmates and later the neighbors. Kind of open ending.

At least they got the NICU equipment right. Baby looked fine to me when it was supposed to be arresting. Turned out to look far to bonnie 1 month later when it supposedly gained 1 kg, but hey, they're all cute so I forgive them.

Makes me think that humans are probably meant to have children earlier than the average mid-20s but not as young as 14.
    Oligoneuron disease is incurable.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphraeleiss
    Makes me think that humans are probably meant to have children earlier than the average mid-20s but not as young as 14.
    Actually, per biology, human females enter their childbearing prime at around age 14 (this prime ends around age 26), and in traditional societies, many young women gave birth to their first child at around that age. It's only in our modern world that the majority of women are putting off childbearing to their late 20s and 30s. Historically, such late childbearing was not common.

Humans do tend to normalize things so that whatever the majority accepts becomes convention, whether or not it was meant to be I guess.
    Oligoneuron disease is incurable.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphraeleiss
    Humans do tend to normalize things so that whatever the majority accepts becomes convention, whether or not it was meant to be I guess.
    They do, but social conventions often don't line up with nature. That's just the way it's been since human beings became civilized (and as civilization develops, it takes humanity farther and farther away from its natural roots).

i just finished this series within a couple days. ithought it was a really good series except for the character of the male lead. horrible. almost every episode made me wanna cry.. anyway, it does happen where 14 year old girls get pregnant. thats just the way the world is.
    TAIWANESE
    mike he
    vic zhou

TVB
    patrick tam
    moses chan
    charmaine sheh

KDRAMA
    lee wan
    jang hyuk
    kim bum
    shin dong wook
    song seung hun
    wonbin
    hyun bin
    im ju hwan
    kim tae hee
    sung yuri
    han ji hye

I thought this show was good and it seemed like an interesting look at how other cultures deal with unwed teenage mothers.
    In England girls of 12 are becoming mothers, only to be grandparents by 24 and people just don't seem to care anymore even though these girls have no way of supporting themselves or their offspring.
    I thought the reaction in this show was a quite harsh but I suppose every culture deals with matters in their own way.
    In my opinion the main actress did very well but have to say I hated her spineless and apparently ignorant love interest.

Lame drama. It was actually good for the first 3 episodes...but aren't her parents a bit TOO understanding? Like honest to God, if I got pregnant when I was 14 years old....my parents would totally kick my *** SO hard. It totally wouldn't be "Oh, it's okay, we love you". It's just inappropriate and she's stupid to have the kid and quit school. The actor for the boyfriend was HORRIBLE...utter piece of wood and their love story was not touching at all. I feel quite sorry for the lead actress...she had to do ALL the work in her scenes with him--he couldn't do anything.

They should've had Sora die as part of the plot---then they would've been like "Oops, all that effort was a bit pointless now, wouldn't it be". I liked the guy's mother...some may think she's evil, but she was essentially the only sane one.

I considered this show a sex-education on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by JonDoe View Post
    I considered this show a sex-education on TV.
    Ha, well it taught me that you can get pregnant by holding hands.....