Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any fans of Blondie here?

Default Any fans of Blondie here?

Any fans of the late 1970s/early 1980s punk/New Wave band Blondie here? They did a bit of everything in their music (disco, power pop, reggae, rap, and retro-pop), and lead singer Debbie Harry was a real hottie too.

In The Flesh - 1976, 1960s retro pop

Heart of Glass - 1979, disco

Call Me - 1980, power pop

The Tide Is High - 1980, reggae

Rapture - 1981, rap (!) - Debbie Harry was Fergie twenty-five years before Fergie!

I like Blondie quite a bit.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

Here's a rather cool video of Debbie Harry performing a duet with Kermit the Frog on THE MUPPET SHOW back in 1980.

MAAAARIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIAAA AAAAAA!!!!!!
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CC
    MAAAARIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIAAA AAAAAA!!!!!!
    That was a good one...and a surprise comeback since many people had written them off as a has-been 80s band who couldn't score any new hits.

nah never was a fan of hers.

not into those 80s music.

i guess some of her songs are classicals but really.. u should get wif the times la]

Quote Originally Posted by Mini T-Mac

i guess some of her songs are classicals but really.. u should get wif the times la]
    Liking or not liking music based on how old or new it is is probably the *worst* way to decide whether or not one likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Call Me[/URL] - 1980, power pop

The Tide Is High[/URL] - 1980, reggae
    not a fan, but quite enjoyed these two when they played it over the radio.... the tempo was exciting back then when younger and you bringing it up now is rather nostalgic.

Ok, let's go smash those Mozart CDs, let's get rid of all those Elvis Prestley albums, let's simply ban old music. Only crappy new music is allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by sheraldine
    not a fan, but quite enjoyed these two when they played it over the radio.... the tempo was exciting back then when younger and you bringing it up now is rather nostalgic.
    Also rather cutting edge when put into the context of when they were released. "Rapture" is almost certainly the first time that a non-black artist released a rap record, and I think it was probably also the first rap record that a large non-black audience ever heard. In light of where pop music has gone since 1980, this record was influential indeed. Blondie did what the Black-Eyed Peas are doing today a quarter century earlier.

Blondie did what the Black-Eyed Peas are doing today a quarter century earlier.
    yet, some youngsters think we are "outdated"

Quote Originally Posted by sheraldine
    yet, some youngsters think we are "outdated"
    I think they'd be surprised to find out how much of the latest "hip" acts are recycling things people did in the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s.

I think they'd be surprised to find out how much of the latest "hip" acts are recycling things people did in the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s.
    Easiest way to get a #1 or top 10 hit nowadays is to just get some young good looking band and make a cover of a 60s/70s/80s hit.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck21
    Ok, let's go smash those Mozart CDs, let's get rid of all those Elvis Prestley albums, let's simply ban old music. Only crappy new music is allowed.
    i never said smash them.

those artist u mentioned are all legends but seriosuly which youngster would listen to them. sure these's exemptions but mann... u got 2 be a loser to actually really really like them. u prob be an outcast in skewl by annoucing ur a major fan of them.

i never said smash them.

those artist u mentioned are all legends but seriosuly which youngster would listen to them. sure these's exemptions but mann... u got 2 be a loser to actually really really like them. u prob be an outcast in skewl by annoucing ur a major fan of them.
    Actually, letting OTHER PEOPLE rule what you like is what I would define as being a "loser."

I'm also not sure what to say about musical tastes informed by little else than, "Oh, well everybody in my age group likes this, so I guess I'll like it too. This other stuff is good, but nobody in my age group likes it, so I guess I won't either."

i never said smash them.

I was exaggerating when I said smash them. My gosh, did I really had to explain that?

Which youngster would listen to them? Those who are mature and cool. Cool people don't follow the mass, didn't you know that? When I was a teenager, I shun what was too popular because by doing that I felt cooler. That mentality was not good either but that's how you become cool as a teen. Showing your confidence also make you cool. When you know what you like and don't care about what others think, that's when people respect you. Being a Lemming is never cool but rather retarded.

You're just too young to understand. When you'll get old and wiser, you'll know what we mean. In the mean time, grow up.

You're just too young to understand. When you'll get old and wiser, you'll know what we mean.
    hmmm, exactly how i sounded like...

In the mean time, grow up
    eventually we all did, didnt we?

I was exaggerating when I said smash them. My gosh, did I really had to explain that?

Which youngster would listen to them? Those who are mature and cool. Cool people don't follow the mass, didn't you know that? When I was a teenager, I shun what was too popular because by doing that I felt cooler. That mentality was not good either but that's how you become cool as a teen. Showing your confidence also make you cool. When you know what you like and don't care about what others think, that's when people respect you. Being a Lemming is never cool but rather retarded.

You're just too young to understand. When you'll get old and wiser, you'll know what we mean. In the mean time, grow up.

Your basically sayin that listening to 80's music by a youngster makes you more mature and cool?

WHo the hell came up with that brilliant idea. >>> yeh exactly, uno your wrong.

Let me tell you sth, in today's age, you really think that a youngster, acting like elvis and listening to majority of 80's song will make him/her cooL. ummm... the thing is people would think your an individual but who would want to be in YOUR circle of friends. You will most likey have nothing in common with other people.

When I was a teenager, I shun what was too popular because by doing that I felt cooler. That mentality was not good either but that's how you become cool as a teen. .

i can understand from your point since 80's music was quiet cool in the 1980s when you were a teenager.

the thing i don't understand is how you are basically calling me a retard for liking current music, like most ordinary people.

You're just too OLD to understand. no worries though. At least your children or grandchildren might understand where i'm coming from.

(no hard feelings aye- just my 2c)

Side note: is anybody supportiing me, since its a 2 vs 1 here.
    Wot.. i get no love here.

BTW: its my 150th post within the 4yrs --- woohoO

Let me tell you sth, in today's age, you really think that a youngster, acting like elvis and listening to majority of 80's song will make him/her cooL. ummm... the thing is people would think your an individual but who would want to be in YOUR circle of friends. You will most likey have nothing in common with other people.

You're coming at this from a very dubious premise. Music is about what *you* like, not what the people around you like. If it so happens that what you like and what they like are the same thing, that's fine, but if you like it ONLY because the people around you do...well, that's pretty superficial and shallow, I believe.

i can understand from your point since 80's music was quiet cool in the 1980s when you were a teenager.
    Music you like is music you like regardless of what the calendar says. Music isn't milk; it's not a perishable product that you have to toss into the trash after a certain number of days (or years) have gone by.

Side note: is anybody supportiing me, since its a 2 vs 1 here.
    It's not so much that there's no one willing to support you (personally) as it is that nobody feels that they can support your point of view on this; this is because your perspective lies on a very faulty premise.

Your basically sayin that listening to 80's music by a youngster makes you more mature and cool?
    Geez, you really don't understand do you? Cool people listen to whatever they think it's good whether it's '80s music, '60s music or today's music.

You don't have to act to listen to music. Be yourself and listen to whatever you like. Do you think that my shirts have shoulder pads because I listen to '80s music?

When I was a teenager, I listened to music from the time and also from the '60s and nobody ever teased me because of it. My friends even agree with my taste and started to listen to old music too. In case you're wondering, no we were not geeks. My friends were quite popular in secondary school but nobody really cared what you listened to but people were judged on personality.

the thing i don't understand is how you are basically calling me a retard for liking current music, like most ordinary people.
    Hello, anybody there? You don't know how to read do you? It's retarded to follow others, for being Lemmings. What we're saying is you should listen to what YOU like, not listen to what others listen to. Is that not clear enough?

You're just too OLD to understand. no worries though. At least your children or grandchildren might understand where i'm coming from.
    I remember my teenage years quite well. I've been there and I remember that people who listened to popular music was lame. Today, I know better and don't care about which genre, as long as it's good to the ears. I still have a preference to alternative music though and still think that people should listen to different stuff other than the popular hip hop type.

(no hard feelings aye- just my 2c)
    I'm old enough to have quite thick skin, unlike sensitive teens. Age make your skin rougher.