Thread: The Homecoming

Default The Homecoming

No thread on this drama serial yet? I think this is a pretty good one.

So far I like all the characters in this show except for Ryan, Weihong's kid. He's so young, but already is trying to break up a marriage. @.@; And he said some really insensitive things too. I've never seen a kid who talks as rudely and as insensitively as he does. Ryan is pure evil. He totally deserves to be shoved into the pool. @.@;

Meanwhile, I think Hanyuan's descending sanity is a very interesting part of the story. Be waiting to see how mad he can go, and how he will be dealing with his friends.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

The English title is boring and generic.
    The Chinese title is more interesting: 十三鞭. The story takes place because of the caning.

it's a surprisingly good serial, given the load of dreadfully sub-standard fare MC has been churning out..

The characters of this show are quite interestingly written... constance song & rayson tan are quite good actors!

and i like ryan.. think he's quite adorable & lighten up the heavy atmosphere of the show .. the kid's quite a gd actor, his crying scene was veri realistic
    无名小卒

It is better than most other Mediacorp series probably because it is not done in-house, but done by an external studio.

I thought the story is quite "Hollywood". The first few episodes already made the story quite boring. Is it like a copy of Hollywood's Chinese movies, the Chinese always manages to be able to speak perfect English. In the show, Ryan and Weihong were supposed to have stayed in America for seven years and guess what the only word that Ryan communicates with his father in English is, "Dad". Makes me wonder do the schools in America teach Mandarin to the Chinese? And the script written for Ryan makes him look like some super mature kid, he knows how to handle most tacky situations in a relationship especially with his dad's relationship with Sessy, very unlike kids around his age.
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." "不闻不若闻之,闻之不若见之,见之不若知之,知之不若行之" Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Excelsior
    I thought the story is quite "Hollywood". The first few episodes already made the story quite boring. Is it like a copy of Hollywood's Chinese movies, the Chinese always manages to be able to speak perfect English. In the show, Ryan and Weihong were supposed to have stayed in America for seven years and guess what the only word that Ryan communicates with his father in English is, "Dad". Makes me wonder do the schools in America teach Mandarin to the Chinese? And the script written for Ryan makes him look like some super mature kid, he knows how to handle most tacky situations in a relationship especially with his dad's relationship with Sessy, very unlike kids around his age.
    True about what you said of Ryan. Kids like him always annoy me nonstop for some reason. Maybe it's because of it being unrealistic. If Ryan was a teenager then it would be more plausible and acceptable. Not to mention that his Mandarin sounds kind of tacky too.

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang
    True about what you said of Ryan. Kids like him always annoy me nonstop for some reason. Maybe it's because of it being unrealistic. If Ryan was a teenager then it would be more plausible and acceptable. Not to mention that his Mandarin sounds kind of tacky too.
    Just to sum up it all up, Singaporean script-writers don't think that much into the finer details of things.
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." "不闻不若闻之,闻之不若见之,见之不若知之,知之不若行之" Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Excelsior
    Just to sum up it all up, Singaporean script-writers don't think that much into the finer details of things.
    Or maybe like what my mother said, the kids are possessed by old ghosts.

Well, the kid could be cuter. The one who looks like Elvin would be better. Yeah, i'm curious as to why lee nan xing could move to America with his criminal records and everything. Is it that easy to get a green card?
    magic is something science hasn't made boring!

i didn't catch the earlier episodes but it's about the 4 of them going to jail & got canned.. then how come Rayson Tan could be a lawyer now? is it possible to be a lawyer in S'pore with a criminal record? i assume it wld be easier in western countries but s'pore is supposed to be quite strict abt such things rite
    无名小卒

Quote Originally Posted by muddy_paws
    Well, the kid could be cuter. The one who looks like Elvin would be better. Yeah, i'm curious as to why lee nan xing could move to America with his criminal records and everything. Is it that easy to get a green card?
    Uhh... it was mentioned several times before that Weihong was an illegal immigrant... so no green card for him.

Quote Originally Posted by CheungKafai
    i didn't catch the earlier episodes but it's about the 4 of them going to jail & got canned.. then how come Rayson Tan could be a lawyer now? is it possible to be a lawyer in S'pore with a criminal record? i assume it wld be easier in western countries but s'pore is supposed to be quite strict abt such things rite
    One of the episodes explained this. Hanyuan said that he had to go through many checks before he was allowed to practise law.

This is a not bad drama already considering MCS's standard. The best acting comes from Rayson Tan. He looks really sick and crazy. Also not bad is Brandon Wong.

Anyone can tell me what is Zheng Guoping's role in the show? He doesn't seem important in the show. He's probably the one who betrayed Rayson Tan though.

Quote Originally Posted by janlow
    This is a not bad drama already considering MCS's standard. The best acting comes from Rayson Tan. He looks really sick and crazy. Also not bad is Brandon Wong.

Anyone can tell me what is Zheng Guoping's role in the show? He doesn't seem important in the show. He's probably the one who betrayed Rayson Tan though.
    He's one of the four brothers and yes, he was the one who betrayed Rayson. He plays somewhat of a middle role. He tries his best to help his brothers and he doesn't want any of them to fight... He's also been feeling bad about the betrayal.
    Last edited by Guo Xiang; 04-27-07 at 11:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    He's one of the four brothers and yes, he was the one who betrayed Rayson. He plays somewhat of a middle role. He tries his best to help his brothers and he doesn't want any of them to fight... He's also been feeling bad about the betrayal.

I didn't catch the front part of the drama. How did he betray Rayson Tan? What was their initial crime? Why was Rayson punished more severely?

Quote Originally Posted by janlow View Post
    I didn't catch the front part of the drama. How did he betray Rayson Tan? What was their initial crime? Why was Rayson punished more severely?
    Their crime was vandalising. They burnt a rival's motorbike. The three were caught before Rayson and during interrogation, the police revealed that one of his friends had betrayed his name over and that was why they were able to find and arrest him so quickly.

All of the four were convicted to months of jail-time and three strokes of cane. However, Rayson's dad decided to appeal for his son. He sent his lawyer to tell Rayson to deny all the charges and instead, push the blame to his friends which he did.

In the end, the appeal failed and because he had denied all charges, Rayson was seen as unrepeatant and so, was given more jail-time, and an extra stroke of cane.

I would be surprised if Rayson Tan DOES NOT get nominated for Best Leading Actor in the upcoming Star Awards. Brandon Wong deserves a mention too.
    ..ext88

Quote Originally Posted by Extremer88 View Post
    I would be surprised if Rayson Tan DOES NOT get nominated for Best Leading Actor in the upcoming Star Awards. Brandon Wong deserves a mention too.
    Yes! Rayson did a very good job in his role as Chen Hanyuan! His character truly does look demented, especially in last night's finale!

Ending wasn't very well done. Thought it was quite rushed. And there were pple appearing out of nowhere. But it's still better than the average MCS drama. Hopefully they don't forget Rayson Tan by year-end.

Quote Originally Posted by janlow View Post
    Ending wasn't very well done. Thought it was quite rushed. And there were pple appearing out of nowhere. But it's still better than the average MCS drama. Hopefully they don't forget Rayson Tan by year-end.
    The ending was a little rushed, yes. I mean, at least the very end of it. The ending kind of made me go a little although I've expected it.