Thread: Leaving/Retiring from Wulin

Default Leaving/Retiring from Wulin

I'm interested to get people's opinions about protagonists leaving or retiring from Wulin during their respective time. I will make two examples below and perhaps present my opinion on them.

1. Yang Guo leaving wulin with Xiao Long Nu at the end of ROCH. The situation as we know was that the threat of Mongol invasion had been temporarily halted by the death of Mongke Khan in the hands of Yang Guo and it was assumed that the mainland China would be in temporary peace. IMHO, YG and XLN deserved their retirement and peaceful seclusion from wulin after what they had been through, 16 years separation and all that. But then again, Mongol invaded sometime later between the end of ROCH and HSDS and YG's decision not to help the Song's efforts (led by Guo Jing) in defending Xiang Yang was severely criticised by a number of 'patriots' (hence the perceived bias against YG in this forum). Well, maybe JY intended that YG survived the fall of Xiang Yang so that his descendant or someone related to him and XLN could appear later as a plot device in HSDS. But nonetheless, YG got a lot of criticisms for his early retirement plan.

2. Zhang Wu Ji leaving wulin with Zhao Min. Well, perhaps it can be said that ZWJ's retirement was mostly caused by Zhu Yuan Zhang machinations. ZWJ never wanted to have anything to do with wulin from the beginning. He was somehow thrust into the thick of things through the actions of others in his life, parents, his Godfather, Wudang uncles. And through witnessing their sufferings, he had often thought of nothing else but peaceful life somewhere away from it all. So when at the end of HSDS, he decided to leave Ming cult with Zhao Min, not a lot of people question his decision, some perhaps supported and felt happy for him. But if we consider the situation at his time of leaving, the Ming offensive was reaching its zenith and the Yuan would probably be overthrew very soon. Ming cultists still needed someone to unite all the strong different personalities between them and I would guess ZWJ still have most of majority support to command and rule them all once they have removed the Mongols from mainland. Should ZWJ have stayed and finished the job and perhaps retire later after peace is truly in place?

If you guys wanted to retire from wulin, how would you guys do it?

If Yang Guo kept killing the Mongolian leaders then history would take one huge arse change in events

IMHO, Yang Guo also didn't want to hang round in wulin from the beginning.
    All his wish was find out his father's tragic death and live with his Gu Gu in some remote place.
    He was raised by Guo Jing and Huang Rong quite some time. He learned how to love his country from them. When Guo family met difficulties Yang Guo couldn't leave them on their own but help. But all we know is his a heretic. He does things in his own.
    All things he had great level of martial art, chivalrous reputation of "Condor Hero" and love towards his country are nothing if we compare his love toward Little Dragon Girl.
    He is not Guo Jing he is western passionate Yang Guo. He had his lover by his side after 16 years long wait. What else will he be needed. What's point of being chivalrous Condor Hero. What is the need of remaining in the wulin. He said to XLN after their wedding that he wants to go southern region and raise kitchens. All the all, he got what he wanted and left aside the others.

It's one of those things where I don't think a person can really, truly get out even if he/she really wanted to (just ask any triad member).

Somehow, that life will just *find* you no matter how you try to hide from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    It's one of those things where I don't think a person can really, truly get out even if he/she really wanted to (just ask any triad member).

Somehow, that life will just *find* you no matter how you try to hide from it.
    True, your comment reminds me of Liu Zhengfeng's fate after he announced his decision to retire from wulin and the subsequent demise of his family and close friend Qu Yang in XAJH.

Quote Originally Posted by Yang Guo
    If Yang Guo kept killing the Mongolian leaders then history would take one huge arse change in events
    I don't think another golden opportunity like that would present itself, ESPECIALLY not after what happened to Mongke. Mongke was thinking with organs other than his brain; he should have NEVER exposed himself to all those Chinese wulin masters. He was the Emperor of the freaking Mongol Empire, damn it. He should have known better than to put himself at that kind of risk.

Kublai certainly learned from his brother's fate.

that's why you either have to be a nobody, or so strong you can just say f*ck you! and nobody will want to mess with you.

I also get sad when I get to the part when the protagonists leave Jiang Hu. I know it's what they want and that they will be very happy but I just get sad.