Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hardware, Software and Network Issues

Default Hardware, Software and Network Issues

Wow, This sections is dead!

Let's liven it up a bit eh!?

The name is Ryan, Love reading translated wuxia and am a big time computer geek. So if anyone have any questions pertaining hardware - software - network issues, don't be afraid to post! I stop by the site regularly to keep me updated on the translation so I'll have no problem in answering your questions If I know it.

My internet won't work at home! I called the tech people from my ISP, and they've tried everything! The only hope is for them to send out a tech on Monday to check it out. But of course, I'll be charge for that service! Maybe you can help me so that I won't have to pay for it? I'm kinda poor right now.

Here's what I know so far. The signal and everything works because the tech person said they get a good clear read of my Router or Modem or whatever that little box thingy is. And the lights all work fine on that thingy. The lines are all hooked up correctly. But when I go to click on my internet explorer button it shows up as 'webpage cannot be found' or something. Please help me and I'll buy you chocolate.
    Last edited by GuGu; 04-29-07 at 06:49 PM.

Also, I used that PC doctor thing I had on my computer and it told me my gateway or something is off. What the ****en hell is a gateway? Everyone should know now that I have no knowledge of computers.

are u using dsl? cause i think i had that same problem before too but dunno how it was fixed.

as u can see, i dont know squat about computer either lol
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

This forum should be interesting. I get my daily laughs from hearing the HelpDesk trying to fix IT problems
    If you don't like my flag, then you can kiss my rebel a55

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR View Post
    are u using dsl? cause i think i had that same problem before too but dunno how it was fixed.

as u can see, i dont know squat about computer either lol
    What is dsl? I use cable, does that help?

Quote Originally Posted by NetDriftr
    This forum should be interesting. I get my daily laughs from hearing the HelpDesk trying to fix IT problems
    Hahaha very funny.

I wonder who are gonna be the mods for this section?

Quote Originally Posted by sarakoth View Post
    I wonder who are gonna be the mods for this section?
    I nominate whoever that can fix my problem.

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu1995 View Post
    My internet won't work at home! I called the tech people from my ISP, and they've tried everything! The only hope is for them to send out a tech on Monday to check it out. But of course, I'll be charge for that service! Maybe you can help me so that I won't have to pay for it? I'm kinda poor right now.

Here's what I know so far. The signal and everything works because the tech person said they get a good clear read of my Router or Modem or whatever that little box thingy is. And the lights all work fine on that thingy. The lines are all hooked up correctly. But when I go to click on my internet explorer button it shows up as 'webpage cannot be found' or something. Please help me and I'll buy you chocolate.
    Here are a few possible reasons for your problem and some solutions:

1. Check the cable connecting the modem and the network card of your computer, make sure it is properly connected and the cable firmly attached to its connectors.

2. Your network card might not be functioning properly, this is due to several possible reasons:

- Your network card is disabled, you can enable by right clicking "My Network Places" then choose the "Properties" tab. Then you'll see a list of your network connections, if you see a disabled connection you can right click on it and select enable to get it working again.

- Your network card's device driver is not installed. You will have to find the driver installer for your network card if windows xp doesn't support it.

- If your network device is built-in to the mother board, check the cmos set up if the network device is enabled. Also check if the network driver of your motherboard is installed.

- Your network card might not be configured properly, this usually happens with computers using older operating systems. You'll have to configure it manually and require you to have knowledge of networking stuff.

-Your network card might be damaged and needs to be replaced.

3. Your modem might be damaged or is having a problem.

4. If you have a router, then its possible that your router is not configured or was reset to factory default settings.

There are more possible reasons for your problem, I only cited the common ones. I hope you get it fixed soon.

Other possible reasons:

- a internet blocking engine such as mircotrend, internet ghost, etc, turn off all spyware/ adware/ or norton etc to see if it works

-internet security/ firewall blocking, try turning it off

- i had a similar problem with internet explorer, i dl mozilla and the problem went away dont know why

-phone line on the outside of your house may be crosswire, is there static on your line?

-did you just recently install a router or modem? routers require that you call your isp and set the modem on bridge mode and then call the router company to set up your connection so you can use it

Sorry I am not techy, but had a lot of internet problems, just using some common stuff i encountered.
    -Hkopinions

"Happy posting."

Quote Originally Posted by Bangs View Post
    Here are a few possible reasons for your problem and some solutions:

1. Check the cable connecting the modem and the network card of your computer, make sure it is properly connected and the cable firmly attached to its connectors.

2. Your network card might not be functioning properly, this is due to several possible reasons:

- Your network card is disabled, you can enable by right clicking "My Network Places" then choose the "Properties" tab. Then you'll see a list of your network connections, if you see a disabled connection you can right click on it and select enable to get it working again.

- Your network card's device driver is not installed. You will have to find the driver installer for your network card if windows xp doesn't support it.

- If your network device is built-in to the mother board, check the cmos set up if the network device is enabled. Also check if the network driver of your motherboard is installed.

- Your network card might not be configured properly, this usually happens with computers using older operating systems. You'll have to configure it manually and require you to have knowledge of networking stuff.
    -Your network card might be damaged and needs to be replaced.

3. Your modem might be damaged or is having a problem.

4. If you have a router, then its possible that your router is not configured or was reset to factory default settings.

There are more possible reasons for your problem, I only cited the common ones. I hope you get it fixed soon.
    Bangs, you...a computer geek!
    Another thing to try with your modem is to switch it off [or unplug it if it doesn't have an on/off switch] for a few seconds and the power it up again. The darn things occasionally get amnesia and forget what they're supposed to do.

Thanks so much Bangs, hkopinions, and JamesG. I will try all of your suggestions. And yeah, I have unplugged the whole thing, modem, router, and computer and so far none changed the result. I think it's my computer since my friend's computer works. I am thinking of just buying a new computer to solve the problem. But I would have to wait a few more months before I could afford a new computer.

Thanks so much Bangs, hkopinions, and JamesG. I will try all of your suggestions. And yeah, I have unplugged the whole thing, modem, router, and computer and so far none changed the result. I think it's my computer since my friend's computer works. I am thinking of just buying a new computer to solve the problem. But I would have to wait a few more months before I could afford a new computer.
    You're welcome Gu. And please don't give up yet, problems like that are just caused by little things and you don't really have to buy a new computer to solve your problem.

dont buy a new computer becos your internet is not working!!!
    it sounds like a firewall/dns issue to me (since the ISP support guy said everything is connected).

-try disabling all firewalls for this troubleshoot. this includes the built in firewall in the router/modem.

-try resetting the router/modem by pulling the power cable out and release/renew the PC ip address

do START -> RUN
    and type CMD

in the Command Prompt window type each command followed by enter:

ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /flushdns
    ipconfig /renew

Wow, Bangs pretty much summed up everything I could say.

GuGu, I am curious as to what specification your system is. Go to Start > Run > type in "dxdiag" > Press enter. It should show up a prompter with your "System Information" copy that down.

Also, Are you running directly from a cable/dsl modem? or you are connected to a network(router)? You can tell the difference by looking at the back of your box. If there are many Ethernet(holes) outlets it's a router. If there's only one it's a Modem. Although there are Modem/Router all-in-one. Just tell me the Model and make.

Let's try to narrow down the problem.

Try the following.

Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > MS-DOS Prompt. Type "ping www.yahoo.com" if it stalls, then you aren't connected at all. If it pings, it'll show up as, "Reply from, 66.34.223.512: bytes:32 Time=33ms TTL=55"

If you get a reply but still can't connect to the internet using IE, try Mozilla Firefox. If it stalls try the following..

Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Network Connections. Check to see if you are actually connected to a connection. If you are, is it enabled or disabled? If it's disabled they'll be a red X over the connection. If it's enabled Right click on the connection and click Repair. Windows will try to reset your connection to get a signal. Now once we got that out of the way...

My best advice to you would be to first and foremost, shut off your computer, then Disconnect your modem/router and let it sit for a minute. Replug the cable and power on your modem. Then turn on your computer. If that didn't work...

Bangs hit the spot, Update your modem/router driver. If you can tell me the make/model i'll be glad to link you to a download website. The update is easy and free.

If you don't know where to find the model/make and for some weird reason it's not on the router. Launch your web browser, type down 192.168.1.1 a website should load up with information regarding what type of router you are using. If you definately have a router and the page doesn't show up, then your computer and router isn't connected and you will have to check your cable to see if it's firmly secure.

And definately, like everyone else says, disable your firewalls, Windows Firewall, Norton, Any type of firewall you have, disable them. Windows Firewall is the suxor.

Hopes this help!

Oh last question, from my understanding of your post you are running internet with a Ethernet Cable and not wireless, correct? Just want to make sure, because if it's wireless then it's a different(well kind of) ballgame.
    Last edited by machiavelli; 04-30-07 at 06:00 AM.

I have same kind of problem before. It happened after I installed free anti virus that I got from internet ( AVG, I think). After installing it, my pc went haywired for whole 2 days. I couldn't connect to internet using firefox or IE. I had to call for tech support and had them uninstalled the antivirus and voila, everything went back to normal. and I have to pay lots of money just for that simple problem. Learned my lesson well, never install anything free from the internet

Quote Originally Posted by NetDriftr View Post
    dont buy a new computer becos your internet is not working!!!
    it sounds like a firewall/dns issue to me (since the ISP support guy said everything is connected).

-try disabling all firewalls for this troubleshoot. this includes the built in firewall in the router/modem.

-try resetting the router/modem by pulling the power cable out and release/renew the PC ip address

do START -> RUN
    and type CMD

in the Command Prompt window type each command followed by enter:

ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /flushdns
    ipconfig /renew
    Freaky!!!!!!!!!! You know what? I called for help again after trying everyone's suggestion before my last post. And the tech I got told me to do this. I had to renew the ip address and everything. EXACTLY what you suggested! And now it's working! Are you an internet tech/support guy?

Again, thanks everyone for all of your help.

I had to renew the ip address and everything. EXACTLY what you suggested! And now it's working! Are you an internet tech/support guy?
    you know what i do and its not tech support!!!! i hate tech support with a passion

anyways i was laughing at your misfortunate. but i couldn't stand by and let all these 'helpful' people mislead you.

i mean machiavelli said this:

Bangs hit the spot, Update your modem/router driver. If you can tell me the make/model i'll be glad to link you to a download website. The update is easy and free.
    which was totally wrong (no offence to Bangs). how could updating the modem driver be a corrective action when the root cause was not the modem driver? your internet was working fine - until the last few days which means something was changed in the firewall/dns configuration....updating the modem driver is out of scope of this problem.

which was totally wrong (no offence to Bangs). how could updating the modem driver be a corrective action when the root cause was not the modem driver? your internet was working fine - until the last few days which means something was changed in the firewall/dns configuration....updating the modem driver is out of scope of this problem.
    Well I didn't really think the problem was of this nature since she did say in her first post that she called her ISP for help and I assumed this solution was done already. Don't worry I am not offended at all even if I was 'totally wrong'.

you know what i do and its not tech support!!!! i hate tech support with a passion

anyways i was laughing at your misfortunate. but i couldn't stand by and let all these 'helpful' people mislead you.
    To be honest, I thought it was you who made my internet die. My apologies. Well, maybe not since you were LAUGHING at me!

@Bangs, you were the first one to help me. Thank you so much. Even if Net was right, he didn't give me the info on time. I was already at home without internet when he posted his suggestions. So the only help I had was from you, hkopinions, and JamesG. Thank you guys