Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need HELP with GL's Legendary Siblings translation

Senior Member Demonic Swordsman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pokit View Post
    I did some digging around the translation forum and found some posts by Athena regarding these cut scenes. She mentioned that all the copies on the net are cut and are not from the first edition. From the way she wrote it, it seems the later edition has many scenes cut.
    but most people read the later editions? if so, then there shouldnt be TOO much of a difference in the fluidity and completeness of the plot right?
    "The most happy marriage I can picture or imagine would be union of a deaf man to a blind woman."

Sorry Demonic, not sure of the answers to your questions. But Athena did mention that the first edition can only be obtained through printed work.

I'm guessing there shouldn't be any difference to the fluidity of the story though. I do wonder who did the editing.

Princess Yao Yue bit her lips and said, “I… I promise not to kill you.”

(Quoted from Jean)

During her life, since when has she utter such compromising words? But now she has to humble and say so which breaks her heart. Like it or not she has to say such words. Beacuse she knows that since the exit door is closed, this area is no different than a key which is stuck and there are no other way out.

Even though knowing that she cannot escape death but no matter what she does not wish to die here together wih Wei Wu Ya and even more so does not wish Xiao Yu Er to witness her death.

Xiao Yu’er replied loudly, “Even if you do not kill me, I will not let you out, because even if you do not kill me, but I want to kill you. Don’t you forget the great enmity between us.” Princess Yao Yue’s heart pounded, there is nothing she can say further.
    (Quoted from Jean)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Princess Yao Yue’s heart pounded, there is nothing she can say further.
    (Quoted from Jean)

"So you should know that you shouldn't give me any chance to speak with Su Ying," Xiao Yu Er said.

Princess Yao Yue does not want to be offended by him but there is a feeling of curiosity. Quickly she asked, " Why?".

"Do you know what I have said to Su Ying?" Xiao Yu Er asked and laughed while continuing, "That time I told her to open the bottle of alcohol from ontop and then stay nearby the secret exit door so that when I retreat, she can close the door. If not as long as I was risking my life dueling with you, why would she willingly leave just like that?"

Princess Yao Yue's body was shaking and said " But she..she "

"Don't you forget that she was raised here. She is most clear of all the secret passage here with the exception of Wei Wu Ya."

Princess Yao Yue was shaking for a long time and her whole body was shaking. She replied, " Yes, I was too clumsy, really I was so clumsy....."

"What is the use that you regret now? Will there be someone helping you now ?" After laughing Xiao Yu Er continued," Therefore it is best that you wait for death with calm. Although this place stinks at least it is so calm with no flies or mosquitoes. What more you are not alone, isn't Wei Wu Ya around to keep you company?"

"Shut your mouth!, " Princess Yao Yue was screaming with horror.

But Xiao Yu Er was laughing, " Wei Wu Ya, oh Wei Wu Ya! While living you cannot sleep on the same bed with the person you love but after death you can share the same grave as her which proves you are still lucky. But you musn't forget that I am the one that help you. So when you are a ghost also you must repay my good deeds."

Princess Yao Yue was furious and she headed towards Wei Wu Ya's dead body. She hold him up and immediately wanted to smash his dead body.

"Huh, what are you doing?" Xiao Yu Er immediately said. " Haha, The great Floral Princess why would she want to torture a dead body which is harmless?"

For a moment Princess Yao Yue's hand was frozen and she just stand still.

Suddenly Xiao Yu Er take a deep breath and said, " Actually I can understand your feelings. There is no one that is willing to die in a dirty and disgusting place like this together with a disgusting corpse especially you. Although you are narrow minded and act coldly to whoever, but honestly you are not evil and disgusting."

Princess Yao Yue slowly lowered her hand.

Therefore Xiao Yu Er said , " Sometimes you can be very scary but sometimes I pity you. All the while with so much dissapointment and without a single friend. If it is other women, she might change to be more cruel than you. Because I know there is nothing more terrifying than loneliness."

Princess Yao Yue’s head almost lowered.

(Quoted from Jean)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Dendroid King; 05-02-07 at 04:44 AM.

actually, is there someone with the 1st edition of the actual book who can compare if there's really missing parts in the later edition? Coz it feels weird to be translating what someone else had already done, and with a more complete version of the book as well.

If this work has already been done, why don't DK ask the permission of the other site to repost the translations here? Then there's no need for you guys to wait so long to find out what happens, and no need for me to spend time doing something someone else has already done. :P

Errrhm Jean, the site is in INDONESIAN LANGUAGE!!! I dun think most of us can understand it. Myself I am from Malaysia not Indonesia. Fortunately both the languages are quite similiar but sometimes I may have make some small error during the translations...

I think you are the only one that does in English. So u still need to continue Besides I believe most ppl like the suspense. Even the Indonesian translator has yet to finish his work.

So rite now since we dun know whether the "missing parts" is artistic liberty or Gu Long's work, I will post if I detect any "missing parts". The moment I know if those text has nothing to do with Gu Long, I will stop

My quality of translations depends on someone else translations and myself also not very good. So even though I did some small part, I still expect you, Jean to translate Its better to translate from the chinese text rather than Vietnamese, Indonesian or whatever......

I'm not sure how everyone else feels, but for me at least, I believe sticking to one version is better. It's less confusion since other editions tend to have added parts.

Thank you for all your hard work Jean. I would treat you to lunch/dinner if you live closer as a sign of appreciation. :-)

Jean,

I seriously think that you should post a thread in the wuxia fiction to clarify this, just because ppl like TigerWong or Lav seldom come to the translation site anymore. (would have done it myself except i;m lazy).

Han SOlo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Banned
    where dews kiss the first blush of the morning rose

Default DENDRIOD KING

Jean, I do not post often because most of the time I am enjoying your updates every day. I like the suspense and the way you present the story and the speed and also the timing of your stop. I do not know what the fuss is about concerning different versions and different translation. YOu are in control and you are the translator and you have your following. Of course there are many translation in other languages and people can read them. However, it will be irresponsibile for anyone to just point out there are differences without citing where are the sources and where can you get to them. I hate to be personal but I find DK's posting here and also in the other translation forum extremely distracting and disrepectful of other readers. I do not think DK is constructive at all and lets face it you have no intention of translating anything. You merely want to let everyone know that you know somthing that other people do not know about the story and you get your kicks by stroking your own ego. I say it last time in the other forum and I will say it again, take your hints, insinuation and spoilers all of which are done by suggesting that you have read the novel and know what is happening next SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!!! Put your money where your mouth is and if you want to tell thE story why not start a separate translation.

I am also a silent reader. I agree with what JAJA9 just said.

Jean thanks for all of the hard work, you make so many of us happy with each update
    --=={Grundle}==--

Quote Originally Posted by JAJA9 View Post
    ...but I find DK's posting here and also in the other translation forum extremely distracting and disrepectful of other readers
    DK might have a good intention in raising possibility of a different version. He had proved his point with a few translated excrepts in this thread. However, I would advise DK to refrain from posting anymore of these as it did take away the suspense, excitement and the discussion from readers who like me, had never came across this novel in any form. If I am the translator, I might as well felt frustrated as it seems that the readers had already knew the story or I am translating a wrong version of the story. I knew that this novel is nothing new and had been adapted to many forms and language but for the rest of the non Chinese speaking world, the English translation of the story is our first encounter with this brilliant story.

On the other hand, DK could collaborate with Jean by editing her completed translation in a different thread (like James did for ROCH) or privately communicate the different version to Jean. This would be a better channel.

I take this opportunity to thanks Jean for her brilliant and consistent translation of this novel. Gu Long had never been my favourite wuxia novellist but this novel is an exception. Thank you Jean!!!

Jean, I do not post often because most of the time I am enjoying your updates every day. I like the suspense and the way you present the story and the speed and also the timing of your stop. I do not know what the fuss is about concerning different versions and different translation. YOu are in control and you are the translator and you have your following. Of course there are many translation in other languages and people can read them. However, it will be irresponsibile for anyone to just point out there are differences without citing where are the sources and where can you get to them. I hate to be personal but I find DK's posting here and also in the other translation forum extremely distracting and disrepectful of other readers. I do not think DK is constructive at all and lets face it you have no intention of translating anything. You merely want to let everyone know that you know somthing that other people do not know about the story and you get your kicks by stroking your own ego. I say it last time in the other forum and I will say it again, take your hints, insinuation and spoilers all of which are done by suggesting that you have read the novel and know what is happening next SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!!! Put your money where your mouth is and if you want to tell thE story why not start a separate translation.
    Concur with OP.

well said goby2920 - I did appreciate DK's trying to "provide a complete picture" with the story (that we would not have known about otherwise) but agree that this might be done better in a different thread if some readers do not want the "extras" that may or may not be in the original Gu Long story.

thanks Jean! this is the first time I've ever read the story so I am very appreciative
    Last edited by efflix; 05-02-07 at 03:03 PM.

I agree that Jean has more than earned the right to have complete autonomy on this thread. However, we can all relay that sentiment without blowing a gasket. DK was only trying to contribute, something which we need a lot more of in this forum, albeit in a more organized way.

Jean
    I agree with the others, you got me hooked on this novel now. You have a great job with all the cliffhangers, twist and turns. Please do continue.

Like KChill, i think Jean has earned more the right to complete this translation. DK is only trying to add to give us a complete picture. Maybe this need to be done in a different way?

Aww, come on guys. We're here to enjoy ourselves in Jean's translation anyway. Let's drop the weapons, hug each other and be friends, okay?
    You are not what you think you are.
    But what you think, you are.

Without wanting to sound rude, I make mine the immortal words of Monty Python in The Quest for the Holy Grail:

GET ON WITH IT!

I have no idea what are you so angry about. I have no intention of making myself so great by knowing the story better or what. I also have no intention of irritating Jean at all. In fact I have confirm with her whether there are any "missing parts" becoz we really dunno.

I am just trying to pinpoint some differences. And whenever I translate, I follow Jean. If I find there is something that is missing within HER POST/TRANSLATIONS, then only I post some small text. In fact I ask her to find the Chinese text so that the quality of translation wiuld be better. I have never translated anything after her translations.

If your guys want me to stop is fine. If your dun care about those parts, I can save my time and can be doing something else better. The thing is you all seems to imply that I am directly threatening or challenging Jean which is ridiculous.

I just want u all to know that there are many "missing parts". Due to what I also dunno. I dun lost anything anyway.

Unlike most of you all, i appreciate the effort of Dendroid King to ensure that the translation here is as complete as possible, and i'm sure Jean would have appreciated the feeback.

To those who said that had commented on dendroid's translations:-
    1) Dendroid had cited the source which is a well-known indonesian site
    2) AFAIK, all his posts had come after Jean's translation- and it was meant to highlight the differences between Jean's translation and also the version that he was reading.

To those who had messages/thanks/anger that could is better conveyed privately to anyone - PM is your answer.

And, i'm gonna post a thread in the wuxia fiction sub-forum to ask for help - and Dendroid - can you post the parts that you felt were missing there?

Thx,
    As ever you faithful servant,

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

reposting my reply from the translation thread....

Hey guys....sorry, don't mean to create any confusion there, coz I was under the impression that the works have already been translated into english. So if it's already been done in english, then there's no point in continuing. Didn't know that it was dendroid king who translated from malay into english.

and I do appreciate DK pointing out the difference, and like him, I wanted to the complete, and correct works to be translated as well, that's why I wasn't really sure whether to continue with the 'wrong' edition, if it really is wrong, or wait til someone clarifies with the 'right' one. am I making sense here?

anyway... peace *XXX*

Currently in Moss, Silver. Next stop....still Moss, Silver

i have no idea where these anger with dendriod king came from. im a follower of Jean's translations as well, and i have no objection of DK adding the parts thats missing. i mean, I for one, would want the complete version of the novel, and not the cut versions of it. however, it would be much better if DK and Jean could come up with a solution of which version is the right one, and if possible combine their translations so that the missing part wont be posted after Jean's translation, cuz it is kinda distracting and spoils the fun of reading.

I thank jean for her hard work on this, and DK for spending his time on informing the missing parts. Jean, please do not stop translating, and DK, it would help if you could work together with her.....

just my 2cents...PEACE V!
    Last edited by ghostdarTeal'c; 05-03-07 at 02:51 AM.
    Da One and Only,
    ghostdarTeal'c

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Idols: Mark Dacascos and Vicki Zhao Wei
    Fav Artists: Zhang Tie Lin, Cheng E Kin, Vin Diesel, Jet Li, Amy Chan Sau Man, Michelle Rodriguez, Theresa Lee Yee Hong
    Fav Series: The Great General, Heroine of The Yangs, Huan Zhu Ge Ge I & II, Secret Battle of The Majesties
    Fav Movies: The Matrix I, G.I Jane, Fist of Legend, Drive, Gladiator, 2009 Lost Memories, So Close, Crying Freeman

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius; Commander of the Army of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor; Marcus Aurilius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, and I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

- The Spaniard -