Thread: Issues with Internet

Default Issues with Internet

Anyone else have problems with their internet?

I'm using Verizon DSL w/ Wireless modem and at times its really unrealiable. I mean for the last two weeks or more the internet has been slow. I don't know whether its because of my internet or because of something I did. It was fast, like I could watch videos on youtube and the loading time didn't take long but recently it's been slow. I've used Spysweeper, McAfee Viruscan and can't find anything dangerous (only cookies).

Pages with text can load fine but when it comes to pictures or videos it takes a while to load.

What can I do to get it to run faster or back to normal?
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 05-06-07 at 06:55 PM.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Back when I had Verizon DSL there used to be a few days every once in a while (not to often) when everything would load ridiculously slowly, or even worse, not at all. However, it ended up being a problem with Verizon and it was generally fixed quickly enough so that I wouldn't suffer too much. Wireless modem, hmm? Maybe you could check your wireless network? Anyway, it might just be something in your area and have nothing to do with your computer at all. I'm no technology wiz, but I've got a big mouth. My tip - call Verizon's Customer Service. They're friendly people (at least as far as I remember) and will help you figure out if it's their problem or yours.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

really? i'm using verizon too and it seems okay. i think that it could be yur virus scanner, McAfee Viruscan because i my uncle also has that also has it and it slows down his comp too and he's has verizon 3 mb. i think that virus scanner checks everything on webpages so it could make it superslow. i'm not sure what he does to fix his comp tho, i've seen him run the virus scan a lot of times tho
    i hope that helps, im not sure if it does but good luck. =)

How many computers do you have on your network? If so, are they all slow too? Do you have security on it? MAC address filter, WEP, WPA, etc. If you have more than 1 computer on your network and they're all yours, disconnect the rest and test 1 of them at a time. You can also try bypassing the router and plug your PC straight into your modem. Close down programs one by one to eliminate any that might be causing the problem, especially P2P programs. Other than that, it might just be your ISP.

0) recycle modem, if you have dynamic IP, when IP changes, slow down happens. just to be sure, recycle power the modem + computer.
    1) plug your computer directly to the modem
    2) go on speed test website, test your speed
    3) report it here so we can tell you if it's fast/slow
    4) look at the internet package you purchase and see if it meet standard
    5) if it does go within the standard range = nothing you can do about it
    6) sometimes the server u load from is slow and not your end, the only way to know is speed test (step 2)
    7) if it's crapping out on you with the speed test, that means your ISP is ****ing up or the line is dropping packages, call them up and threaten to cancel if they don't fix it, they will not charge you for any contract money because it's their fault you're not getting as advertised.
    8) they fix it real soon after u call them like that.

i still think its yur McAfee Viruscan thing. but im not a computer person so...

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    Anyone else have problems with their internet?

I'm using Verizon DSL w/ Wireless modem and at times its really unrealiable. I mean for the last two weeks or more the internet has been slow. I don't know whether its because of my internet or because of something I did. It was fast, like I could watch videos on youtube and the loading time didn't take long but recently it's been slow. I've used Spysweeper, McAfee Viruscan and can't find anything dangerous (only cookies).

Pages with text can load fine but when it comes to pictures or videos it takes a while to load.

What can I do to get it to run faster or back to normal?
    KJ & Warlock offered good advice...

Since you are in Verizon coverage, you should take a look at their Fiber (FIOS), right now they are offering 15 Mbps/2 Mbps for $49.99 a month or if you prefer 30 Mbps/5 Mbps......for *ahem $179.99
    Last edited by vindikattor; 05-13-07 at 04:53 AM.
    He said "Mie at the top, Jue at the bottom". She replied "Yes, Absolute Annihilation...

I found out why my internet was slow. Somebody decided to remove all the phoneline filters. I was only able to find one filter for one of the house phone, the other one is missing but I disconnected that phone, and now the dsl is running as fast as it should be running.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by annaaa View Post
    i still think its yur McAfee Viruscan thing. but im not a computer person so...
    I agree, the McAfee slows down the Internet. I used it at one point and my Internet was slow. Now I use Norton and I like it better.