Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SHE- Zhong Guo Hua

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Hmm I listened to it and did not notice the pronounciations and lyrics. I usually don't put in effort to, unfortunately... so... maybe that's why the song sounds good to me. *hides from flying daggers*
    I'm kinda with you here. Maybe it's not so discernable among non-native Mandarin speakers. Kinda like how some American rappers rap in a language that's... well... not quite English...

Besides... the MV looks kinda nice.

And then there's Hebe... she's always nice ^o^
    The Truth is out there
    I say we leave it there...

Quote Originally Posted by 0-0-0 View Post
    it's not the lyrics i'm annoyed about, it's the pronunciation.
    Maybe u hate Jay Chou too... He's a good singer and composer, but i really can't get his lyrics w/o looking at it.
    仁。智。义。信。礼。忠。孝。悌。忍
    慈。慧。气。念。仪。实。心。情。耐

Quote Originally Posted by Vic_Viper View Post
    Maybe u hate Jay Chou too... He's a good singer and composer, but i really can't get his lyrics w/o looking at it.
    better than me who dun get it even by looking at IT
    力扬力扬,魅力飞扬
    祝力扬 & 栗亲们新年快乐, 万事如意!!~
    力扬加油, 栗子加油,加油,加油!!!!^o^

YAY, Federer WON!!!!~

There's a perverted version of Jay Chou's Qi Li Xiang floating about youtube. It's the exact same song, only with the lyrics totally replaced with sexual innuendo.

The best thing is that with Jay Chou's diction, it appears as if he's really singing the perverted version. I couldn't stop laughing when I heard it.
    The Truth is out there

Quote Originally Posted by MrIllusion View Post
    There's a perverted version of Jay Chou's Qi Li Xiang floating about youtube. It's the exact same song, only with the lyrics totally replaced with sexual innuendo.

The best thing is that with Jay Chou's diction, it appears as if he's really singing the perverted version. I couldn't stop laughing when I heard it.
    Sorry this is random, but are you from Taiwan? I was just listening to your song, and it sounds like you can do the accent pretty well, so it's probably natural.

Quote Originally Posted by yearning View Post
    Sorry this is random, but are you from Taiwan? I was just listening to your song, and it sounds like you can do the accent pretty well, so it's probably natural.
    Heh I'm from Singapore.
    The Truth is out there

Heh I'm from Singapore.
    Ah I see. Actually I find similarities b/w the way people from Singapore and Taiwan speak. I thought Sun Yan Zi was Taiwanese for the longest time.

i told you, it's not the fact that i can't understand what they're saying, it's the fact that Jay Chou is not sending up the Beijing accent by doing an exaggerated version of the pronunciation.

0-0-0 dear, I really don't think it's as big of a deal as you're making it out to be. I don't think you can compare it to the "ni hao" you get from wai guo ren, because the fact is that although the members of SHE have a Taiwanese accent that's going to stay, Chinese is their language too. Like when you hear Chinese people who learn English as their second language, well, most of them have an accent. You don't say that they're insulting the English language - at most you say that they can't speak English for their life
    Last edited by Sparky; 10-14-07 at 08:30 PM.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by yearning View Post
    Ah I see. Actually I find similarities b/w the way people from Singapore and Taiwan speak. I thought Sun Yan Zi was Taiwanese for the longest time.
    Probably because both have some hokkien influence in their style of mandarin. But i would say Taiwanese speak more fluent and clearer mandarin than Singaporeans and for me, it is pretty easy to dinstinguish between Singaporean and Taiwanese mandarin. The likes of Singaporean singers such as Sun Yan Zi, JJ Lin, Ah Du, Sun Ho etc. have adopted the Taiwanese accent probably after performing and staying there for some period of time. And probably because our style of mandarin is closer to that of the Taiwanese, it's easier to adopt that style as compared to say, a Beijing style.
    Last edited by sunnysnow; 05-12-07 at 09:38 PM.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysnow View Post
    But i would say Taiwanese speak more fluent and clearer mandarin than Singaporeans and for me, it is pretty easy to dinstinguish between Singaporean and Taiwanese mandarin.
    Kinda O/T...

Singaporean's Han Yu Pin Yin is terrible. Most of us(Singapoean) can't make the diiference in pronounciation of "pin/ping", "min/ming", "xin/xing" etc. Where in China/Taiwan, they will correct the smallest mistake of pronouciation even on TV shows.

Edit: Maybe SHE shouldn't use the name Zhong Guo Hua as the song tittle...
    Last edited by Vic_Viper; 05-13-07 at 02:42 AM.
    仁。智。义。信。礼。忠。孝。悌。忍
    慈。慧。气。念。仪。实。心。情。耐

Edit: Maybe SHE shouldn't use the name Zhong Guo Hua as the song tittle...
    They should use "Beijing Hua" since they're supposedly imitating the Beijing accent whereas Zhong Guo Hua is made up of many different types of accents depending on the dialect group and province/district.
    Last edited by sunnysnow; 05-13-07 at 04:16 AM.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysnow View Post
    They should use "Beijing Hua" since they're supposedly imitating the Beijing accent whereas Zhong Guo Hua is made up of many different types of accents depending on the dialect group and province/district.
    they shouldn't use beijing hua because that is NOT a beijing accent!

They should have called it "taiwan imitation of beijing hua," or "wow we are losers who who can't speak chinese hua."

yes their song name is just slightly ironic...

They should have called it "taiwan imitation of beijing hua," or "wow we are losers who who can't speak chinese hua."

Wow... you're really irate... must 保持形相... take a deep breath and repeat after me...

'The world is so beautiful. The air is so fresh'
    The Truth is out there

Wow... you're really irate... must 保持形相... take a deep breath and repeat after me...

lol... i'm fine... i just don't like the idea that people think beijing accents sound like what SHE just did. I guess when they did "zhong guo hua" they thought they'd try and make it mainland. Well it totally backfired.

tbh, my beijing accent is not very strong anymore, having not lived in beijing for... 13 years now...

i never noticed they were trying to immitate a "beijing accent"...i thought they just spoke that way

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    i never noticed they were trying to immitate a "beijing accent"...i thought they just spoke that way
    it's only in the spoken parts. the singing is pretty normal.

I love that quote.. the movie is like so good lol..

Ppl have their own buttons, maybe beijing accent is just 0-0-0's button.. MAJOR one lol..
    力扬力扬,魅力飞扬
    祝力扬 & 栗亲们新年快乐, 万事如意!!~
    力扬加油, 栗子加油,加油,加油!!!!^o^

YAY, Federer WON!!!!~

0-0-0,
    I think SHE was not really making fun of Beijiners, but now a days, people say, "Do you speak Putong hua?" Putong Hua means so-so chinese, I don't speak perfect Chinese, as many are not that good at speaking perfect chinese. As you quoted, "Wow we are losers who who can't speak chinese hua." Really, I felt depressed now after reading that post

Quote Originally Posted by mind_wander View Post
    0-0-0,
    I think SHE was not really making fun of Beijiners, but now a days, people say, "Do you speak Putong hua?" Putong Hua means so-so chinese, I don't speak perfect Chinese, as many are not that good at speaking perfect chinese. As you quoted, "Wow we are losers who who can't speak chinese hua." Really, I felt depressed now after reading that post

I think what 0-0-0 meant was that SHE is deliberately making fun of the Beijing accent. It's like how some Western comedians like to fake a Chinese accent when impersonating Chinese.

I'll use Russel Peters as an example. Don't feel offended though. Personally I think it's hilarious.

PS: is the multi-quote a new function? I don't recall it being here before O_o
    Last edited by MrIllusion; 05-13-07 at 10:55 AM.
    The Truth is out there