Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review : The Devil King

Default Review : The Devil King

Title : The Devil King
    Cast : Um Tae Woong - Kang Oh Soo
    Joo Ji Hoon - Oh Seung Ha
    Shin Min A - Haein
    Synopse : A serial murder mystery involving a murderous cop, a lawyer seeking a vengence, and a psychic reader.

Review : Made by the Resurrection team(Same director, script writer, and lead actor), The Devil King is a fascinating and well-made show. The story becomes interesting because the lead character Kang Oh Soo is not a stereotypical innocent character; he was the worst school bully who murdered a righteous classmate who was trying to protect a weakling. Being the son of a rich and powerful politician, Kang Oh Soo walked away from the murder charge thanks to his father. Having repented for his sins, he became a detective, but he is forever haunted by his past sins. As Kang Oh Soo starts investigating a series of vengence-driven murders involving people who were the players in his murder case 12 years prior, he is aided by a psychic reader(Shin Min A) who could read images from the object to guide him through investigation, and opposed by a defense lawyer with an innocent face(Joo Ji Hoon) who is the younger brother of the murdered boy seeking venegence on Kang(His brother was murdered by Kang and his mother died in a car accident after having been stunned by the not guilty verdict). Oh seeks justice on the death of his brother by controlling the murder of people involved in his brother's murder one by one, and force Kang to recall his past sins in the process. The script is well-written, and the plot is unpredictible, and both Um Tae Woong and Joo Ji Hoon delivers fine acting.

For those fed up with love stories and silly comedies, highly recommended.

There is a preexisting thread here:
    http://spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=20379

Oh, I thought Uhm Tae Woong is not the lead actor, so he is? But he doesn't get the girl right? To me, the main guy always gets the girl.

I didn't know it was made by the same director and scriptwriter of Resurrection! Now I must watch it! If not for Uhm Tae Woong, I must really watch it now, I really enjoyed the angst and the in-depth storyline, good from start to end of Resurrection. I hope this drama is just as good or even better.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    Oh, I thought Uhm Tae Woong is not the lead actor, so he is?
    He is.

But he doesn't get the girl right? To me, the main guy always gets the girl.
    This is a serious stuff and there is no romance.

I hope this drama is just as good or even better.
    It's better than the Resurrection. I never liked the Resurrection, but am impressed with The Devil King.

Quote Originally Posted by JonDoe View Post
    He is.

This is a serious stuff and there is no romance.

It's better than the Resurrection. I never liked the Resurrection, but am impressed with The Devil King.
    Well I did and thats all it matters to me.

Well, I don't believe they just throw Shin Min A into the cast between two men and have no romance, even if it's just a small dosage. I could understand that the emphasis would be more heavily on other stuff than romance but surely there is a hint of it?

The director must love UTW to cast him again as the main lead of his drama.

Of course, I always enjoy UTW's acting.

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

so the villain here is JJH's character??

Quote Originally Posted by tanteun View Post

Hmm...It doesn't seem to be the case. I think its other characters.

i hope the 2 threads be merged into 1

im so looking forward to seeing this as my recent drama viewings were not as enjoyable as i expected it to be...
    大爺來了﹗

想唱就唱, 唱得向亮! 力揚加油

MAGIC SHOOTER HISASHI MITSUI!

Quote Originally Posted by tanteun View Post
    Well, the title "The Devil King" refers to JJH's character.

But there is no good guy/villian in this show. The detective is the past murderer, while the lawyer is the present date pupppet master of murder in the name of vengence.

Well, I don't believe they just throw Shin Min A into the cast between two men and have no romance, even if it's just a small dosage. I could understand that the emphasis would be more heavily on other stuff than romance but surely there is a hint of it?
    Haein feels sorry for the lawyer because of his sad past.

Thanks guys I think i'll watch this series, n because i want to see JJH. That's why i asked who's the real villain, 'cause i just can't bear if it's him and he got killed or everythingand being hated

OK, the series is now over. The ending is tragic. Oh Soo's family is destroyed(father dead, older brother in prison for murder) as plotted by Seung Ha. Infuriated Oh Soo takes out his gun to gun down Seung Ha. They both end up dead together, but before their death they forgive each other.

Joedoe, could you possibly go back and edit your post and use the SPOILER TAGS?
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 05-28-07 at 03:39 PM.

OK, the series is now over. The ending is tragic. Oh Soo's family is destroyed(father dead, older brother in prison for murder) as plotted by Seung Ha. Infuriated Oh Soo takes out his gun to gun down Seung Ha. They both end up dead together, but before their death they forgive each other.
    I saw a bit of this on another web page. JJH looked great in suits as before in GOONG. They forgive each other before dying.. so Korean drama..they want the viewers to cry I am going to watch this during my coming holiday...soon, stocking up on tissues. The other web page said that Shin Ah and JJH shared romantic feelings but the other guy was one sided. That's not true?

Quote Originally Posted by bella25 View Post
    The other web page said that Shin Ah and JJH shared romantic feelings but the other guy was one sided. That's not true?
    Haein had a crush on Seung Ha when they met 12 years ago but that was it. Unlike Resurrection, romance is not a strong part of the plot, as it is very much vengence driven, with lots of dead people.

ok, i'm only on episode 4...i shouldnt have read this thread..
    ****Love, Live, and watch Asian Series****

Default Good vs. enjoyable

Now I'm in two minds about watching this. There are shows that are excellent, story wise, acting, scenery etc. but one does not feel good after watching it , like 'lawyers' and then there are those like Goong and Full house which I enjoyed very much but in terms of story line, aiyaah, so strange. Mawang sounds like lawyers.

Now I'm in two minds about watching this. There are shows that are excellent, story wise, acting, scenery etc. but one does not feel good after watching it , like 'lawyers' and then there are those like Goong and Full house which I enjoyed very much but in terms of story line, aiyaah, so strange. Mawang sounds like lawyers.
    Well, how can you feel good after watching a tragic series? That doesn't change the fact that The Devil King is a well-made show.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    Joedoe, could you possibly go back and edit your post and use the SPOILER TAGS?
    Heh, guess not. Oh well, no need to watch this series now that I know how it ends.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Well, how can you feel good after watching a tragic series? That doesn't change the fact that The Devil King is a well-made show.
    Just what I said, a good show is not necessarily enjoyable. However there are enjoyable sad shows out there. I watched 'Windstruck', a Korean show, it was tragic but I enjoyed it. There was hope for happiness at the end, maybe coz they had planned for the sequel.. Sassy girl.

Just what I said, a good show is not necessarily enjoyable. However there are enjoyable sad shows out there. I watched 'Windstruck', a Korean show, it was tragic but I enjoyed it. There was hope for happiness at the end, maybe coz they had planned for the sequel.. Sassy girl.
    i understand where you are coming from...
    Sad Love Song was a tragic but it was very sweet at the same time ...tragic because the main character died..sweet because he was reborn thru his son..

so u highly recommend this show?