Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hearing Singers Sing Live...

Quote Originally Posted by Leanna View Post
    umm there are some that do... jay chou??
    goshh, and its not like they dont work hard or anything
    I said most. Most don't, but some do. I said nothing about work ethic either. I can work hard too, but it doesn't mean that I have the talent nor the creativity. Beside, I don't really care if one works hard or not, but if he/she can write good music. I'm just saying that in general, I have less respect, but that's how I feel about certain artists. It has nothing to do with others liking pop. Anyone can like whatever they enjoy, it is not me to judge people's taste. What I can argue against is their reasons for liking or not liking something. Case in point, you not liking an artist just because he/she's old. Now that, I find stupid.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

Depeche Mode - Enjoy The Silence (Rock Am Ring, Germany, 2006)
    - Vocally it's good and musically (minus the drums) they're ok, but what I don't like about Deche Mode is that they always let the fans sing. If I was in their concert, that would annoy the heck out of me because I went all this way to hear the band sing, not the amateurish crowd. I also don't like David Gahan's mannerism, kind of feminine and for once, Martin Gore didn't dress like a gimp.

Depeche Mode - Sinner In Me

- Cheezy guitar, Gore's ridiculous outfit, Depeche Mode pretending or trying to be hardcore, embarrassing.

Depeche Mode - Never Let Me Down Again (Cologne, 1998)
    - Martin Gore and his inferiority complex has abandoned his keyboard and only plays the guitar now and that makes the sound so flat compared to what old fans are used to.

Depeche Mode - See You

- This is how I like Depeche Mode, with their keyboards, why pretend to be something else?

Depeche Mode - Photographic (0981)
    - My favourite song of them, good performance, funny dance and way to wear your pants Dave.
    Last edited by Canuck21; 09-10-07 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yearning View Post
    While I agree that pop these days bases too much on looks and not enough on talent, I don't think everyone should be attacking people who like pop. Each to their own and it's not necessary to set a condescending tone.
    pop is actually my favourite genre, but i just disagree with people thinking that its ok for singers to spend years in the music industry and still be lip synching live. Surely they should develop some singing skills. Yes, they work to record their album, but if their profession is singing, there's no way i will admire someone who only knows how to record a song and is unable to perform live.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck21 View Post
    Since you mentioned pop though, I must admit that I have less respect for pop artists because most don't write their own songs, but rely on others to do the one thing that music artists should do, music. Many pop artists are just nice packages wrapped nicely by producers. Still, I can appreciate any pop song no matter who thought of the song and therefore I can't condone others for liking pop either.
    Can write own song doesn't mean one is a good singer and singers who don't write their own songs doesn't mean they can't sing well and express the song well.

I think that is a very prejudice and elitist thinking. Not much better than disliking old singers. Just a different kind of prejudice.

Singers who don't write own song are also doing music and contributing to a song. They make the song sounds good with their good voice and good singing technique and presentation. Great singers like Frances Yip, Sally Yeh, Jacky Cheung etc also sing songs not composed by them.

Btw, Charlene Choi of Twins has recently composed a song. Has your esteem of her risen a bit after I tell you this?
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by 0-0-0 View Post
    pop is actually my favourite genre, but i just disagree with people thinking that its ok for singers to spend years in the music industry and still be lip synching live. Surely they should develop some singing skills. Yes, they work to record their album, but if their profession is singing, there's no way i will admire someone who only knows how to record a song and is unable to perform live.
    Agree. A singer should be able to sing live. If s/he can't sing live, s/he is not a good singer. I have more respect for singers who can sing live.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Can write own song doesn't mean one is a good singer and singers who don't write their own songs doesn't mean they can't sing well and express the song well.

I think that is a very prejudice and elitist thinking. Not much better than disliking old singers. Just a different kind of prejudice.

Singers who don't write own song are also doing music and contributing to a song. They make the song sounds good with their good voice and good singing technique and presentation. Great singers like Frances Yip, Sally Yeh, Jacky Cheung etc also sing songs not composed by them.

Btw, Charlene Choi of Twins has recently composed a song. Has your esteem of her risen a bit after I tell you this?
    I agree with everything you said except that my prejudice doesn't exclude me from listening to pop songs or artists. I might have a little bit less respect, but I will still listen to what my ears find good. Disregarding an artist because of the person's age is different and you might miss on something good.

It's just a question of personal opinion on what is more fulfilling. I respect those that write songs, others have more respect to those who have a great voice. As long as one's doesn't disregard automatically, then I think there's no active discrimination; my ears always dictate what I listen to. For example I like the song "Viva Forever" from the Spice Girl very much and nobody will make me dislike it, but do I have lots of respect for the girl band? Not really, I just find them fun, but listen to them I do.
    Last edited by Canuck21; 09-11-07 at 10:15 AM.

I said most. Most don't, but some do. I said nothing about work ethic either. I can work hard too, but it doesn't mean that I have the talent nor the creativity. Beside, I don't really care if one works hard or not, but if he/she can write good music. I'm just saying that in general, I have less respect, but that's how I feel about certain artists. It has nothing to do with others liking pop. Anyone can like whatever they enjoy, it is not me to judge people's taste. What I can argue against is their reasons for liking or not liking something. Case in point, you not liking an artist just because he/she's old. Now that, I find stupid.
    ummm, when he hell did i say i hate old artists.... i like them too, but im just saying that u hafta leave room for getting to know new singers too
    take for example, a lot of people have hate towards the singers that grew popular from singing competition
    but to think about it, they hafta work double hard to just to make their fans satisfied and its not really nice to just say that they sing like shitt
    anyways yeaa, thats my point.... i just felt like i had to say that (not necessarily towards u)

and also, if they didnt put the effort into it.... do u think theyll still be able to memorize the lyrics and satisfy the audiences with no workk
    晨晨曙光 魏你闪亮 ♥ WEI CHEN
    实力偶像 魏晨最棒
    海外乐橙支持

Quote Originally Posted by Leanna View Post
    ummm, when he hell did i say i hate old artists.... i like them too, but im just saying that u hafta leave room for getting to know new singers too
    take for example, a lot of people have hate towards the singers that grew popular from singing competition
    but to think about it, they hafta work double hard to just to make their fans satisfied and its not really nice to just say that they sing like shitt
    anyways yeaa, thats my point.... i just felt like i had to say that (not necessarily towards u)

and also, if they didnt put the effort into it.... do u think theyll still be able to memorize the lyrics and satisfy the audiences with no workk
    Ok, if you say it that way, it's more comprehensible. From the way you said it earlier, it didn't seem like you even give the older singers a chance.

As for the younger singers, I don't follow today's music anymore. I don't have the time nor interest to watch any music video except on YouTube when someone gives a link. Then, I might click on it just for curiosity and the few times I've seen the videos, I just didn't like. The new music doesn't do anything to me and I don't block it on purpose, the music just don't appeal to me.

Ok, if you say it that way, it's more comprehensible. From the way you said it earlier, it didn't seem like you even give the older singers a chance.

As for the younger singers, I don't follow today's music anymore. I don't have the time nor interest to watch any music video except on YouTube when someone gives a link. Then, I might click on it just for curiosity and the few times I've seen the videos, I just didn't like. The new music doesn't do anything to me and I don't block it on purpose, the music just don't appeal to me.
    umm i like fayne wong and na ying's songs?? do they count
    its just that i dont listen to them very often.... fayne wong is like the most talented singer ever though
    晨晨曙光 魏你闪亮 ♥ WEI CHEN
    实力偶像 魏晨最棒
    海外乐橙支持

I agree with everything you said except that my prejudice doesn't exclude me from listening to pop songs or artists. I might have a little bit less respect, but I will still listen to what my ears find good. Disregarding an artist because of the person's age is different and you might miss on something good.

It's just a question of personal opinion on what is more fulfilling. I respect those that write songs, others have more respect to those who have a great voice. As long as one's doesn't disregard automatically, then I think there's no active discrimination; my ears always dictate what I listen to. For example I like the song "Viva Forever" from the Spice Girl very much and nobody will make me dislike it, but do I have lots of respect for the girl band? Not really, I just find them fun, but listen to them I do.
    Ok. I see your point now. Sorry for being sarcastic in my previous post. But I'm still curious. Has your esteem of Charlene risen a bit after you know she wrote a song?

Btw, I enjoy listening to Twins songs in record. They have good songs and they sound sweet in records. But they still can't sing live. I know they have held concert and all (dunno how they did it), but I've not been impressed with any live performance of their I've seen so far. They are not out of tune, but they just sound so amaturistic.
    Last edited by kidd; 09-11-07 at 10:53 PM.

Ok. I see your point now. Sorry for being sarcastic in my previous post. But I'm still curious. Has your esteem of Charlene risen a bit after you know she wrote a song?

Btw, I enjoy listening to Twins songs in record. They have good songs and they sound sweet in records. But they still can't sing live. I know they have held concert and all (dunno how they did it), but I've not been impressed with any live performance of their I've seen so far. They are not out of tune, but they just sound so amaturistic.
    I don't know Twins at all, never heard a single song of them, but if Charlene can write a song, then I respect her willingness to write. Next step is if I like the song because my ears are the final judge.

I too can write a song, but I'm pretty sure that my song would suck real bad. It's always a mixture of everything that defines what's good and what's not. If we take Nirvana and the Back Street Boys, who do I respect more? I guess Nirvana, but who do I like more? Believe it or not, but I prefer the Back Street Boys because I like their songs more. I actually dislike Nirvana's songs quite a bit.

I generally don't like pop because most pop artists don't write their own songs, that's just one little detail, but mostly it's because my ears don't like pop songs. It just happens that when I like a song, more often than not, it's alternative. On the other hand, I think that most pop artist are better singers than vocalists of punk bands for example. I like the more imaginative and weirder sound of alternative over the peppier and glossed sound of pop. And it's the same for the live performances, I like the rawness over more prepared routines. I don't mind the occasional out of tune, as long as the general performance conveys the right emotion and energy. At the end of the day, it's which ever rock your boat more.

Quote Originally Posted by jay_z View Post
    Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody (Live at Wembley)
    - Live version is different from CD version.
    - Freddy Mercury owned the stage. He was one of the greatest singers ever. What a tremendous voice.
    There are very few Queen songs I like actually, but I really like this song. I prefer the CD version though.

Kate Bush

Wuthering Heights
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQxPfNZIkdg

As freaky and amazing as ever.

Kate Bush

Wuthering Heights
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQxPfNZIkdg

As freaky and amazing as ever.
    That was just pure freaky.

TVB's Olympic 6 Stars (Raymond, Ron, Sammul, Kenneth, Lai Lok Yi)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HIpFrLenZI
    Last edited by kidd; 09-12-07 at 03:11 AM.

I love Hayley Westenra. She is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu View Post
    I love Hayley Westenra. She is amazing.
    But she can't sing Wuthering Heights as well as Kate Bush.

Yeah, she's an amazing classical singer. Great voice.

But she can't sing Wuthering Heights as well as Kate Bush.

Yeah, she's an amazing classical singer. Great voice.
    LOL! Have you heard of Hayley singing Amazing Grace? OMG! It's truly amazing.