Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SBS - Love in Heaven - Thien Duong Tinh Yeu

Default SBS - Love in Heaven - Thien Duong Tinh Yeu

Credit to aeonlines.com (Originally posted by OneLuv)

English: Love in Heaven / Dear Heaven & Sky
    Korean: 하늘이시여
    Official Website: http://tv.sbs.co.kr/sky/
    Broadcast Year: 2005-2006
    PD: Lee Young-Hee, Shin Yoon-seob
    Writer: Im Sung-Han
    Episodes: 85
    Ratings: Average 26.18%, Peak 44.5%, Lowest 11.0%

Casts:
    Yoon Jung-hee as Lee Ja Kyung
    Lee Tae-Goon as Gu Kwang Mo
    Jo Yeon-woo as Kim Chung Ha
    Lee Su-kyeong as Gu Seul Ah
    Wang Bit-na as Kang Ye Ri

Synopsis:
    A complicated and unimaginable background,
    A thought of getting a happy ending…

“Trust is build with true love…”
    “Their love blooming like pure dandelions…”

Ji Young-sun( Han Hye-suk) experienced hardship in her love life when she was young. She gave birth to a daughter, Ja-kyung (Yoon Jeong-hee) and left her without any regret. Then, she got married and gave birth to Seul-ah (Lee Su-kyeong). When her husband has passed away, she could only rely on her step son, Wang-mo (Lee Tae-gon). One day, she met her daughter, Ja-kyung. Since then, she decided to be with her daughter no matter what it takes.

Lee Ja-kyung never gets to know her birth parent. Since her foster father passed away, she doesn't have anyone to depend on and she need to be independent. Ja-kyung was being tortured by her foster family because she fell in love with her uncle. Although she was upset with the impossible love, she's trying her best for her career and love. Until one day, she met with Wang-mo and fell in love with her mother's step son.

SBS weekend drama Love in Heaven, a.k.a. Dear Heaven and Sky, attracted a lot of attention even before broadcast for its controversial topic of sibling marriage. Though some were worried that the story crossed the boundaries of acceptability, the long-running drama proved to be a huge success, pulling in very high ratings in Korea. Newcomers Lee Tae Gon and Yoon Jung Hee left such deep impressions on viewers as the drama’s fated newlyweds, the term “Wang-Ja couple” entered the common lingo. Both Lee and Yoon received SBS New Star Awards in 2005 for their performances. The highest accolade, however, goes to veteran actress Han Hye Suk who received the SBS Grand Award in 2006 for her complex role as a steely mother torn by misguided love and regrets.

Credit: yesasia

This post has been edited by OneLuv: Apr 14 2007, 06:30 PM (www.aeonlines.com)
    Huang Xiao Ming

"It's great to have a private jet. Anyone that tells you that having your own private jet isn't great is lying to you." - Oprah

Goong has started my love for K-drama that I moved on to Only You, Save the Last Dance for Me then I came upon Love In Heaven and absolutely falling head over heels in love with the main couple of this series.

As they are currently being dubbed in Viet so I can only watched about 5 tapes per week. As soon as I am done, there will be a review of the series. So far, there are some unneccesary scenes but overall it's a well-written K-drama. The storyline is touching, some of the characters are a bit unrealistic but that's what I love most about K-drama.
    Huang Xiao Ming

"It's great to have a private jet. Anyone that tells you that having your own private jet isn't great is lying to you." - Oprah

(Does contain some spoilers)....

There are parts of this series that can be cut but so far this is one of Korea's better drama in the last few years. It still is unbelievable to me (a Vietnamese American who grew up in Vietname which still is a traditional society) that Korea is such a traditional society. I meant "traditional" in both good and bad. It's great that younger people are so respectful of older people, even if they are not related. It's bad in a sense where an orphan is mistreated and looked down upon (like our main protagonist) as if it's the orphan's fault for being abandoned by his/her birth parents.

Even though our main protagonist, Ja Kyung, faced many hardships in her life but I admired her drive and determination. She did not give up easily and worked hard to take care of herself and her stepfamily. She's very respectful to her stepmother and step-aunt and uncle but when being bullied by her younger cousin, she had no problem striking back and stood up for herself. She recognized that her first boyfriend is a player (checked out other girls while with her) and dropped him. Although I would have like for her to stand up to him more when he harrassed her over her love life after him.

At the end of tape 33 in Viet dubbed, I am anxious to see whether Ja Kyung will move ahead with her plan to have a baby out of wedlock with Kwang Mo. I hope that the series is coming to an end soon as I have a harder time tolerating all of the people who keep on interfering with my main couple.

Also, kudos to the image consultant for the images of Kwang Mo's grandmother. In the beginning, her hairstyle and outfits were very relax and showed her off as a youthful and carefree individual but as she became more hateful toward Ja Kyung and tried to steer Kwang Mo away from JK, her hairstyle made her look more brittle and harsh and her outfits transformed her into a much older individual and completely hateful.

Is it just me or does Korean directors have great skill in picking out people who can perfect the villain role? (the actress Ye Ri as the main villian deserved an award for being absolutely detestable and has great facial expressions).
    Huang Xiao Ming

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    (Does contain some spoilers)....

Is it just me or does Korean directors have great skill in picking out people who can perfect the villain role? (the actress Ye Ri as the main villian deserved an award for being absolutely detestable and has great facial expressions).

Most of the Korean actors and actresses are good at acting. I've watched TVB and other Asian dramas, the Koreans are a cut above. When their performances are disapponting, it's only because of poor screenplay and probably directing.

I'm looking forward to your review; someone told me that it has EIGHTY FIVE vcds!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bella25 View Post
    someone told me that it has EIGHTY FIVE vcds!!!!
    That is correct! Although I believed for the Viet dubbed version, it will be approx. 65 tapes.
    Huang Xiao Ming

That is correct! Although I believed for the Viet dubbed version, it will be approx. 65 tapes.

I hope it's not one of those glass slipper type ( or was it stained glass), broken hearts and all. As in most K-dramas each episode can be excruciatingly slow, but we sat through dozens and dozens of episodes, only to see the lead characters killed off or jilted. Tell me, does this have a happy ending? Wang Mo and Ja Kyung live happily ever after, may be with a kid?

at first i thought this series is going to make me damn bored... but luckily i watch a few scenes and think diz series is quite good... eventhough the storyline is almost the same as other k drama but mayb coz the casts are great..plus handsome... hehe...

Quote Originally Posted by bella25 View Post
    Tell me, does this have a happy ending? Wang Mo and Ja Kyung live happily ever after, may be with a kid?

I have not watched the ending yet but I do have a feeling that the series will give us a good payoff.

SPOILER.....

I currently am at the stage where the main couple finally get married. However, the grandmother and the younger sister still give her hell for having the audacity to marry into the family. In addition, everyone is waiting for JK to announce her pregnancy but almost half a year goes by and still no good news....so that's where I am at.
    Huang Xiao Ming

I have not watched the ending yet but I do have a feeling that the series will give us a good payoff.

SPOILER.....

I currently am at the stage where the main couple finally get married. However, the grandmother and the younger sister still give her hell for having the audacity to marry into the family. In addition, everyone is waiting for JK to announce her pregnancy but almost half a year goes by and still no good news....so that's where I am at.
    Keep on reporting I have too much to do now since I took some time off to watch Dream racers... Lorrrd, that was disappointing. Big name stars... Koreans can't beat Hollywood at action movies, they should stick to love story, horror and Kung Fu.

geeeeeezzz holy smokes 85 episodes no wonder things are going pretty slow to me ( only on espisode 9) i do hope it does pick up soon and doesn't drag the whole way through. at little more romance/heartbreak would be nice can't really feel for the characters just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by himura79 View Post
    geeeeeezzz holy smokes 85 episodes no wonder things are going pretty slow to me ( only on espisode 9) i do hope it does pick up soon and doesn't drag the whole way through. at little more romance/heartbreak would be nice can't really feel for the characters just yet.
    Be patient, Himura! It will really pay off. I was the same way before and almost give up but things really pick up soon. In a way, we can get to see exactly how and when the main characters develop feeling for each other. How I wish I can find a man like Kwang Mo's .

I have a feeling that next week will be the last tapes of this series. After that, you can read my review and decide if you want to continue pursuing the series. In my opinion, it's really worth it. As with other good series, the producers probably recognize a golden chance of making more money thus inserting some extra unncessary storylines in between to prolong the episodes but I usually fast-forward during those times so it does not bother me that much.
    Huang Xiao Ming

ok thanks alot guess i'll hang in there, but man do they have to show old people that much.

I managed to watch the part when Ja Kyung's family (or stepmother's family) found out about her engagement to Wang Mo. The women were so vicious! I know SE Asian parents don't hit their grown children, and many don't beat children at all. She was just defending herself, I was cheering for her to give her cousin at least a big whack.

Mystery,

when you review it, don't forget spoilers... especially the ending. If I don't want to know what's going on while or before watching it, I won't make connection with people who have watched it.

*SPOiLER*

after a while when Ja Kyung marries Wong Mo, Wong Mo's grandmother and his sister continues to give Ja Kyung hell until Ja Kyung finds out that she is three weeks pregnant. Wong Mo's grandmother automatically turns to kiss Ja Kyung after she hears the news and starts being nice to her. Wong Mo's sister, is still jealous but later on, after Ja Kyungsaved her, starts to give her an easier time. On the other hand, Wong Mo's mother's ex-boyfriend finds out that Ja Kyung is his daughter and decides to marry Wong Mo's mother so he can finally declare Ja Kyung as his daughter. But turns out that Wong Mo's mother's ex-boyfriend is the son of Wong Mo's grandmother's friend..... get it?

Quote Originally Posted by xTRiNNY247 View Post
    *SPOiLER*

On the other hand, Wong Mo's mother's ex-boyfriend finds out that Ja Kyung is his daughter and decides to marry Wong Mo's mother so he can finally declare Ja Kyung as his daughter. But turns out that Wong Mo's mother's ex-boyfriend is the son of Wong Mo's grandmother's friend..... get it?
    yeah with some difficulty.. ..

There was some description of the drama in Yesasia and it said (sort of) JK and WM's relationship became rocky after finding out who her parents were. Still happy ending? I don't see why they should spend time on Chun Ha's relationship.... not interested at all.

Bella, don't worry! I will definitely have spoilers (lots of them in fact) in my review as I often tried not to watch any series unless I know beforehand that it'll be a happy ending. I do made exceptions here and there but not much.

One of the admiring traits of JK has to be that she took a lot of craps from her elders but she will not tolerate disrespect from youngsters. In a sense, she's the ideal Asian woman - compassionate, hardworking, respectful but dignified.

Hopefully, the tapes that are released today in Viet will concluded the series as I know there are many people waiting for the review. I am considering posting my review in the forum bits by bits as I don't think I can write a full review in one sitting. Is that bad?
    Huang Xiao Ming

up to espisode 33 already when the one girl gets to be the new news anchor. i'm wondering if it's going to get more emotional now since up until now i haven't even gotten teary eyed from this series, while normally when i watch these Kdramas i do. or maybe it's just me and i can't get a feel for them just yet after all these episodes? i'm really hoping it picks up soon, since i'm just not feeling the empathy from the characters for some reason. is it me or is it the series?

Bella, don't worry! I will definitely have spoilers (lots of them in fact) in my review as I often tried not to watch any series

Hopefully, the tapes that are released today in Viet will concluded the series as I know there are many people waiting for the review. I am considering posting my review in the forum bits by bits as I don't think I can write a full review in one sitting. Is that bad?

Baad, I am the type who reads a novel until early in the morning. So I don't start unless I could finish it in one sitting. As Himura said, the characters are not very sympathetic or likeable but the storyline is so intriguing I need to know the ending. Why is it such a hang up about stepsiblings marrying? They did'nt even know each other. Now in Autumn Story, they grew up together until 14 (?), now that is gross to me.

Thank you for sharing this movie

Hey Bella, you sound like me. I even read the ending before I started from a beginning (so bad!!!). I will do my best to get the review up ASAP. Bad news is that this week's tapes are not the end yet so y'all have to wait for a while.

Love in Heaven is not really a series for you to bawl your eyes out ... thank God for that! I love this series so much because the relationship between the main couple. In a way, it's hard for a foreigner (to Korean culture) like me to understand some of the prejudices in the series toward JK but that's just part of a traditional society. When I complained to my dad that some of the things in this series are so exagerating, I was told that they are just ways of life.

SPOILERS....

Supposedly, if you are an orphan, you are not considered marriage material because a person is judged on the basis of family background and if you don't even know your family, you have no root. Being an orphan is bad enough, but JK is an abandon orphan and that's why WM's grandmother is so against her.

Another obstacle in their relationship is their career path. WM is an upcoming news anchor with a college education while JK is just a makeup artist. Makeup artist is a great profession in the U.S. and I'm sure in other countries, too. However, in Asian culture (at least the ones that I am familiar with), having a college degree elevated your status in life and it's frown upon when a college-educated man/woman married someone without a college degree.
    Huang Xiao Ming