View Poll Results: Who is more despicable and hypocritical - Gongsun Zhi or Yue Buqun?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gongsun Zhi

13 30.95%
  • Yue Buqun

29 69.05%

Thread: Who is more despicable and hypocritical - Gongsun Zhi or Yue Buqun?

Post Who is more despicable and hypocritical - Gongsun Zhi or Yue Buqun?

The previous thread between Zhen Zhibing and Gongsun Zhi is pretty one-sided. Now we have another guy up against the old wily despicable Gongsun Zhi.

Yue Buqun! Who is more despicable and hypocritical - Gongsun Zhi or Yue Buqun?
    ..ext88

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

well, GSZ never tried to pass himself of as a man after chopping of his little friend. i say YBQ.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

both are the same.... same birds, same feathers - whatever you think that means...

Both are not men Just despicable and horrible beasts... Did Gongsun Zhi cut his little friend?

But at least GSZ is a male beast YBQ is not even a male after removing his sign of manhood.Not a male.A beast in gray shade.And just as despicable and hypocritical as GSZ.I hate him more.So he appears more despicable and hypocritical to me

Quote Originally Posted by Raenon View Post
    Both are not men Just despicable and horrible beasts... Did Gongsun Zhi cut his little friend?

But at least GSZ is a male beast YBQ is not even a male after removing his sign of manhood.Not a male.A beast in gray shade.And just as despicable and hypocritical as GSZ.I hate him more.So he appears more despicable and hypocritical to me
    GSZ may not have removed his "manhood" but any man would've went after GSZ and help him remove it because of GSZ's perverted ways, he practically flirted with any woman that walked by him. Martial sisters LMC and XLN.

How about discussing how their relationship with their family is like? Who's worse in that department?
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Both are willing to sacrifice their daughters for their own ambition. But at least YBQ and madame Yue's relationships are real. They seemed to truly love/respect each other (at least in the beginning, I'm still waiting for the translation to know how SPW will end). And he did not go around flirting with women left and right (before the castration).

Whereas GSZ tried to take advantage of every women in his life, especially his wife.

So I am voting GSZ.

YBQ.

SPOILER: at least GSZ's wife was just as evil as him, so it wasn't as bad when he tried to kill her, as opposed to innocent madame yue.
    nostalgic for wuxiasociety? http://wuxiasociety.freeforums.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    GSZ may not have removed his "manhood" but any man would've went after GSZ and help him remove it because of GSZ's perverted ways, he practically flirted with any woman that walked by him. Martial sisters LMC and XLN.

How about discussing how their relationship with their family is like? Who's worse in that department?
    Understatement. GSZ wanted to rape every women he laid eyes on that pleased him, whereas YBQ at least had a decent relationship with his wife.
    秋风清,秋风明;落叶聚还散,寒鸦栖复惊。相思相见知何日,此时此夜难为情

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Maybe a better comparison would be Gung Sheun Tze and Au Yeung Hak.
    I have to disagree with that. GSZ and YBG stands as a better comparison because both were so damn wicked, hypocritcal and evil.

Au Yeung Hak was imo a young man who was spoiled, followed his you know what around and hanged out with the wrong crowd. He grew up as little West Poison jr, surrounded by beauties who served him(Sees women as objects). This little master had an uncle, or father who was one of the supreme martial artists of that time(Badass network anyone) and they had their own fancy castle on a fancy isle(Feeling of Superiority). Later he met Yang Kang and co, all whom were evil and tried to use AYH one way or another for their own gains. During all this AYH also never tried to hide his perverted and wrong ways of treating women nor about the bad deeds he's done.

I can't help but think about HR when I see AYH's life. HR was a spoiled young girl too, sure she never commited any serious crimes thus far, but I can't help but think if HR never met the good old gullible GJ who would sway her with his genuine compassionate character. Would there be a chance HR would have swayed off the right path? For instance if she met and befriended the wrong crowds?

You can compare GSZ to AYH about their lust for women, but I don't think you can really compare them against eachother who's more wicked, hypocritical and evil etc. Because I keep getting the feeling AYH wasn't even half that bad. I keep imagining what would have happened if she met a really genuine compassionate girl that loved him and vice versa. Would the power of love have touched this young man to divert his path from his evil past? I can't help but think but it surely makes him less despicable than QSZ and YBQ.

Whereas GSZ vs YBQ is a fair comparison. One is a horny old fart who will try any means as long as it serves his purposes and the other one is a self castrated da xia, who served as 'Jun Zhi Jian' by day and an evil powerhunrgy ' I'm willing to sacrafice everything even my little willy' maniac.

Althoguh both are truly despicable, I will go for the YBQ. Like many pointed out before, he really did seem to care and love Madame Yue at the beginning, which I think makes his crimes even worse than GSZ.
    Last edited by Xiang Yu; 06-23-07 at 06:12 AM.

i'd go for gongsun zhi.

it seemed to me that YBQ was more driven to his "wickedness" with all the huashan internal struggle & the ambitious zuo leng chan, thus making it a bit more understandable why he turned out that way.

gongsun zhi had no excuse to flat out use qiu qian chi...

I picked YBQ because basically the novel in which he was in (SOD) mainly focuses on hypocrisy. YBQ being the most hypocritical. The guy's passion to rule Jianghu destroyed his whole family and everyone around him. He acted as a righteous scholar but his actions away from people's eyes were worse than any criminal in the whole story. He used people's trust and love for him to destroy them. Throughout the whole story he was a hypocrit. He never let that 'I'm doing it for the good of the people' act down. While we all know that he just wanted to be #1 in Jianghu.

GSZ was just a pervert. Plus we weren't exposed to him and his story as much as YBQ's.

This was my feeling when I first saw ROCH and SOD. I actually knew that GSZ was a creep and only wanted to get XLN in bed. But with YBQ, I actually thought he was a good guy. And thought he just misunderstood LHC. Not until he had to cut off his family jewel did I realize he was the ultimate hypocrite.

Default Perv vs Plotter

In hypocrisy, the winner is obviously Yue Buqun, by a mile. The whole idea of YBQ is that he's a villain masquerading as a bland, upright Confucian gentleman. Even Xiao Ao Jiang Hu's narrator 'colludes' in this.

It's harder to say who's more despicable. Gongsun Zhi is a perv and a coward who is cruel and scoundrelly, but Jinyong (at least in the 2nd edition of Shen Diao Xia Lu) makes an effort to humanise him a little, and his crimes take place in the context of a novel which is all about frustrated passion. Even Yang Guo feels sorry for him at one point. In XAJH, JY makes no effort to generate any sympathy for YBQ after his villainy becomes obvious, allows only a tiny bit of reflectiveness after his rather sudden death, and in general traces a trajectory for his character that can only be unflattering. As a father figure to the hero and an esteemed officer in wulin, he's surely far more of a disappointment than GSZ, who appears as a spurned lover and henpecked husband.

GSZ did (or tried to do) things which I feel were more despicable than YBQ's antics, but I think YBQ edges it on the b*st*rd-o-meter, due to JY's ruthless refusal to temper his villainy.
    Last edited by owbjhx; 06-23-07 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shenlong View Post
    Understatement. GSZ wanted to rape every women he laid eyes on that pleased him, whereas YBQ at least had a decent relationship with his wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Single Whip View Post
    Both are willing to sacrifice their daughters for their own ambition. But at least YBQ and madame Yue's relationships are real. They seemed to truly love/respect each other (at least in the beginning, I'm still waiting for the translation to know how SPW will end). And he did not go around flirting with women left and right (before the castration).

Whereas GSZ tried to take advantage of every women in his life, especially his wife.

So I am voting GSZ.
    In the beginning,he din't have any chance to perform misdeeds.Huashan was a recognized sect as well so of coz must dress himself nicely in sheep's clothing .GSZ can't really hide well the fact he's a hypocrite.Pretending to be all understanding but started to flaw when YG appear.

I won't call lying to his wife with bad intentions and rendering his wife with no difference compared to a widow a decent relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    i'd go for gongsun zhi.

it seemed to me that YBQ was more driven to his "wickedness" with all the huashan internal struggle & the ambitious zuo leng chan, thus making it a bit more understandable why he turned out that way.

gongsun zhi had no excuse to flat out use qiu qian chi...
    YBQ is driven to being wicked because he's just ambitious,greedy and wanted to raise his sect to become the no.1 sect.The swordplay manual{Bi Xue Swordplay) is not his property at the first place.(It belongs rightfully to one of his disciples,right?Zhiping I think...gosh,I forget his name).He's just "embezzling" it without anybody's knowledge and pretend that he's still helping his disciples to find it.Hypocrite :

I personally dislike YBQ more. His actions digust me more than GSZ's actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Raenon View Post
    YBQ is driven to being wicked because he's just ambitious,greedy and wanted to raise his sect to become the no.1 sect.The swordplay manual{Bi Xue Swordplay) is not his property at the first place.(It belongs rightfully to one of his disciples,right?Zhiping I think...gosh,I forget his name).
    You got the name upside down. It's Lin Pingzhi.
    ..ext88

I voted for Gongsun Zhi. I hate GSZ because he is a serial rapist. On the other hand, YBQ did not do any of it. He did not rape anyone throughout his life.