Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about Legend of Dagger Lee

Default Question about Legend of Dagger Lee

I'm currently watching the either Mainland or Taiwanese production of this Gu Long adaption starring Vincent Jiao, Wu Jing and Alyssa Chia.

My sister just came back from China and bought me a few serials. This was one of them. However alot of the VDD's are scracthed etc so I'm kinda forced to fastforward once a while.

Now it's become troublesome, because a whole cd isn't working. I'm at the part where LXH's brother and his lover are dead. LXH just gave back (some) of his internal energy back to Ah Fei and they parted. After recovering for 33 days they received a message from someone important (The King I think? Can't be too sure as the discs were really messed up and started to malfunction at this point.) So now they are on their road, fought with ShangGuang Jr. and are now in a hotel and there's this old lady she's talking to who looks quite sophisticated and important.

Can anyone tell me what happened? Who's this old lady and what's her purpose? Her lackey said they should return to the palace at one point, I could get that much formt he scratched noises.

Also, does this version follow closely to the novel? What about the 95 version starring Eddie Kwam? I think Ah Fei loses his arm in there, did this happen in the original novel as well?

Thanks in advance.

p.s. There is this guy who reminded LXH of his brother Ah Fei personality wise. This guy wouldn't use his left hand because he stroked a girl's hair with it once. What's this all about? I don't mind some spoilers either.
    Last edited by Xiang Yu; 06-26-07 at 10:38 AM.

uhm i dont remember everything since i watched it a long time ago, but i'll try to help. The guy that doesnt use his left hand, well it's not because he stroked a girl's hair once. He's just doing that so this other guy (i think it's the one that suppose to be 2nd best in the book where LXH is listed 3rd) wouldnt be aware of it. but later, he will use his left arm to kill that guy. I haven't read the whole novel, but from what i heard, this is far from the original. At the end of the series, aLyssia ended up with Ah Fei whereas in the novel, her character ended up with Dagger Lee. Sorrie but I dont remember the rest =[

btw, there's a part 2 to the series as well
    www.winglin.net/fanfic/Emilyy8 [Raymond Lam, Bosco Wong, Ron Ng]

www.winglin.net/fanfic/Emilyy5 [oneshots]

Thanks for the reply!

Anyway. I ended up skipping like 10+ episodes in total so the story is really vague to me...Like:

1. Why did Jin Wu Min hide his abilities(his left hand) from Shangguang Jinhong? Is it because Wu min knew he would betray Shuangguang Jinhong sooner or later? Because in this adaption he seemed very loyal. Also, did Jin Wu Min die in the novel?

2. The girl with the ear ring weapons, ranked 4th in the world I believe. She was so ADORABLE! She was so mature, understanding and yet mysterious enough to have you thinking about her on and on. Was her character in the novel as well or was it something added to the adaption? If yes, did she love LXH and vice versa and did she die? Can someone tell me how to write her name in Pinyin please?

3. Another point was the official ranking of weaponry. Shuangguang was 2nd, LXH was third but LXH first beat the crap out of Shangguang before he finished him of with his dagger. Also, LXH missed with his dagger once(or twice if you count the one for distraction). I've read elsewhere on this forum that the fight went alot different in the novel, so how much stronger was ShangGuang Jinhong compared with with LXH?

Also, Ah Fei was a fairly new person within Wulin when he first met LXH. But did he ever get a official ranking in the novel?

I hope the novel has a different ending, because it was really sad how LXH finally fell in love again just to be parted again with his lover.

Also, is the sequel to this any good? It also stars Vincent Jiao. Are any characters from the first show gonna reappear like Ah Fei?

The version that you are watching is the Taiwanese production made in 1999. It had a good cast, but was not very accurate to the novel at all, especially in the second half of the series. Most of the second half was made up.

1.About Jin Wu Ming, he did not use one of his hands because that was the hand that he used to touch the girl that he loved. He was always loyal to Shang Guan Jin Hong in the novel and no he did not die in the novel. HE was alive and vowed to get revenge for Shang Guan Jin Hong. He was also in the novels that were the sequal to XLFD, such as Bian Cheng Lang Zi.

2.Are you talking about Yang Yan(played by Yu Fei Hong)?The one that died at the end? If so, she is not a character in the novel at all... She was just made up for this version. I don't remember if there were any females in the rankings. If you are talking about Sun Xiao Hong(the one that tells stories with her grandpa who is ranked #1), than YES she is in the novel and ends up with Li Xun Huan. She was always loyal to him and always loved him, so they ended up together. She is very adorable...

3. Well as for the rankings, it is just based on their overall ability I think... BUt just because you are first or above someone ranked below you does not mean that the one above will always defeat the one below you. The fight in the novel was kind of like that, but not quite like what you see in the series because Gu Long does not really describe the fight scenes. He did a little for this one I think...You should read the novel for yourself to find out...

I don't remember if Ah Fei got a ranking or not, but I think he did...

YES, the novel does have a different and more happy ending... As I said, Yang Yan is just a made up character.... IN the novel(Spoilers), Li Xun Huan ends up with Sun Xiao Hong and they live happily ever after.... THey also have kids together too. There is another novel called Fei Dao You JIan Fei Dao, which is about Li Huai who is Li Xun Huan's grandson. That novel is pretty bad though...

About the sequal, I personally didn't like it very much since it is really redundant. Also, it barely has anything to do with the novel.THe script writers just wrote their own story, used the some of the names of the characters in the novel and made them into different people, and made up some of the characters. No, Ah Fei, Xiao Hong and many other characters are completely gone and are only mentioned from time to time that's it... I wouldn't really recommend part 2 since it is all made up and isn't so great...
    Last edited by Trinie; 07-08-07 at 06:43 PM.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiang Yu View Post
    Can anyone tell me what happened? Who's this old lady and what's her purpose? Her lackey said they should return to the palace at one point, I could get that much formt he scratched noises.
    The lady is the queen. The husband of the princess is missing and she is asking Vincent to help find the husband, if alive, bring him back, if dead, must find body.

Also, does this version follow closely to the novel? What about the 95 version starring Eddie Kwam? I think Ah Fei loses his arm in there, did this happen in the original novel as well?
    Umm, you canstop watching now if you want faithfulness to the novel. Everything after this is practically made up.

No, he never loses an arm. The 94 version of Eddie Kwan is even worse!!! Lin Xian Er does not know GREAT martial arts. The son of Lin Shi Yin is supposed to be a kid, not some teenager.

This guy wouldn't use his left hand because he stroked a girl's hair with it once. What's this all about? I don't mind some spoilers either.
    You will see for yourself, what is his reason. This is not in the novel. His character is, but he is much different.

1. Why did Jin Wu Min hide his abilities(his left hand) from Shangguang Jinhong? Is it because Wu min knew he would betray Shuangguang Jinhong sooner or later? Because in this adaption he seemed very loyal. Also, did Jin Wu Min die in the novel?

He wanted to kill Shuang Guan Jin Hong.

No, he did not die in the novel. In the novel, JWM is very loyal. Some speculate he is so loyal to SGJH, they conject that JWM might be gay.

2. The girl with the ear ring weapons, ranked 4th in the world I believe. Was her character in the novel as well or was it something added to the adaption?

No, she is not ranked 4th in the world. The ranking is done by this evil guy. He died at the shaolin temple if you remember in the previous tapes. He was the one that Dagger Li killed, who was holding Lin Shi Yin as hostage. The guy ranking is accurate somewhat, but he only ranks what he has seen before, and he does not rank women in the book. She is totally a made up character.

Her name is Faye Yu Fei Hong.

3. Another point was the official ranking of weaponry. Shuangguang was 2nd, LXH was third but LXH first beat the crap out of Shangguang before he finished him of with his dagger. Also, LXH missed with his dagger once(or twice if you count the one for distraction). I've read elsewhere on this forum that the fight went alot different in the novel, so how much stronger was ShangGuang Jinhong compared with with LXH?

In the novel, SGJH is better than Dagger Li, barely. The ranking even though was biased towards men, the guy did come up with a legit ranking list. The fight went on alright. Except we don't know what happened.

Basically it went like this. Dagger Li and SGJH go into a room. The door is locked shut. I think the door was like made of some hard metal (copper perhaps), and they were trapped. At the end, the door opened, and out walked Dagger Li. He wins. So therefore that means SGJH died. Dagger Li came out exhausted, but victorious, barely.

>Also, Ah Fei was a fairly new person within Wulin when he first met LXH. But did he ever get a official ranking in the novel?

No, he was never heard of. If not, why would so many people underestimate his sword. The guy who wrote the ranking died at the shaolin Temple so that ranking will stay forever.

I hope the novel has a different ending, because it was really sad how LXH finally fell in love again just to be parted again with his lover.

In the end, he ends up with Sun Xiao Hong. Ah Fei is by himself.

Also, is the sequel to this any good? It also stars Vincent Jiao. Are any characters from the first show gonna reappear like Ah Fei?
    In the sequel, you will see the character who is ranked number 4.

I heard that AH Fei does find someone to be with since he has descendents from what I heard... He also took care of Shang Guan Xiao Xian who is Shang Guan Jin Hong and Lin Xian Er's daughter...
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Thanks for all the replies! All the info you guys shared with me was just too much, it got me so curious that I've started reading the novel.

I think it's a pretty well written wuxia novel, I can't comment on Gu Long because this is the first novel I read(am reading) that was written by him, but in general, it should be quite amazing seeing a fantranslation was already able to capitivate me thoroughly.

Sure is a nice read, the women in there seems hot, just when you think "I want that one as my wife' another girl pops up who;s even more drop dead gorgeous. Even better is, they seam to drop their clothes off really easily for a time period like the Ming Dynasty.

Another thing that annoyed me was that not only did they add characters like Yang Yan(I really don't mind it though, seeing as I had never read the novel before and she is HOT!!), but they also left characters out! I really wish they added LXH's driver in the show, when I read the novel it seemed like he had his very own personality and life story, would love to see him on screen. I mean if you can add in made up people, why the hell can;t you add someone who's SUPPOSED tp be in?

I still am shocked that such an adorable, understanding and sweet woman like Yang Yan! She was portrayed as the perfect woman, even better, the perfect wuxia wife! She was smart, witty, caring, LETHAL and drop dead gorgeous, I mean what more can you ask for? LXH really does know how to pick the right women. Anyway, when I tried to find info about this gorgeous actress there was hardly any availble. Has she played in more series?

Also, could someone tell me something more about Guo Song Yang? I just finished reading about his duel with LXH. Although Sun Xiao Hong said Li could've taken Guo's life on three occasions, he did not. Yet when Li's dagger was broken, Guo admitted defeat instead of using this oppurtunity to strike! This guy wasn't in the show either I think. so is this guy really a da xia or just another one of the million fake gentlemens in this novel? Also, I hope Guo Song Yang will get more mentioned more in the novel cause so far I liked his character alot!

Despite all the warnings, I'm feeling brave. I will start watching the sequel to this series soon. The opening seemed alright, missing Ah Fei and the old cast members but I'm willing to give it a try. So is this number 4th ranked guy any good in this show? Or just mroe meat for LXH to pwn?

{edit} Still reading the novel I noticed alot of lines worthy of quoting. Here's the most recent one:

'If a woman is smart, pretty, and can drink, even if she talks too much, a man can tolerate her... but otherwise, a woman should talk as little as possible' - Li Xunhuan -

Quote FTW! Now my dear wuxia women on this site don't get mad, but you can't deny that it's really close to the truth!
    Last edited by Xiang Yu; 07-12-07 at 04:21 PM.

You are welcome Xiang Yu! Are you reading the translation of it? The original Chinese text is nice too.... I think it is better to read in the original language if you can.

It is a well written novel and one of GL's best ones ever.

Keep in mind that it is a wuxia novel so not everything will be "realistic".

Yea, not all adaptions will be accurate to the novel. I can accept changes but sometimes the changes are just too ridiculous. IN the sequal(the series, Fei Dao Wen Qing), they do have some of the deleted characters but they are changed. The sequal is really stupid and redundant though.

Yang Yan is a made up character so I didn't really care for her... About the actress, her name is Yu Fei Hong and I have only seen her in 2 other series. ONe is Si Ma XIao Xi Feng with Jason Wu. I think that was also a GL novel if I remember correctly, but I didn't like that series at all. Another one is San Shao Jia De Jian which is also a GL novel. I liked that series more than Si Ma Xiao Xi Feng. I think she was in other series too, but I don't remember at the moment. I am guessing she has retired since I have not seen her in a new series in a very long time.

No, that is NOT true... Guo Song Yang is a very highly respected character and great friend of Li Xun Huan. He was in the sequal(the series I mean, the sequal had some aspects from the novel that they took out in the first part). You will find out that he even made a big sacrifice for Li Xun Huan. If you don't mind spoilers I will tell you(you can PM me), or you can read ir for yourself.... Sadly, he doesn't live for too long....

You will be disappointed with the sequal too. I don't even remember who was ranked #4.

By the way, the "driver"(his name is Tie Chuan Jia(I think I spelled his name wrong, sorry) is like a servant/friend to Li Xun Huan. I really like him too. He was in the sequal too. Another is Jiang Ling Ling.. She was in the novel too but was Lin Xian Er's maid. But in the sequal they changed her character completely....

I think it's a pretty well written wuxia novel, I can't comment on Gu Long because this is the first novel I read(am reading) that was written by him, but in general, it should be quite amazing seeing a fantranslation was already able to capitivate me thoroughly.
    The next novel you should consider reading for Gu Long is Jue Dai Shuang Jiao. If not, if you want to read the story of Little Li's martial arts student, you can check out Bordertown Wanderer, as well as Eagles Flying in September (something like that). Both of these stories are currently being translated on spcnet.

The women in there seems hot, just when you think "I want that one as my wife' another girl pops up who;s even more drop dead gorgeous.
    In general, all Gu Long women seem to be very hot. Many women from Gu Long world can probably compare to Little Dragon Girl from Jin Yong world in terms of beauty.

Lin Xian Er I hear is the prettiest women in Gu Long world.

I really wish they added LXH's driver in the show, when I read the novel it seemed like he had his very own personality and life story, would love to see him on screen. I mean if you can add in made up people, why the hell can;t you add someone who's SUPPOSED tp be in?
    You can see him in the sequel. He seems different though then compared to the novel. The story you mentioned in the novel is not really discussed at all the in the sequel.

Could someone tell me something more about Guo Song Yang? I just finished reading about his duel with LXH. Although Sun Xiao Hong said Li could've taken Guo's life on three occasions, he did not. Yet when Li's dagger was broken, Guo admitted defeat instead of using this oppurtunity to strike! so is this guy really a da xia or just another one of the million fake gentlemens in this novel?
    This duel will happen in the sequel. But instead of Sun Xiao Hong being there to comment after the fight, they will replace her with a madeup character.

He really is a hero. Albeit, he still slept with Lin Xian Er in the novel, but he like many other guys was after sex (btw I hope you are 18). But if you are wondering if be he is a hero or villain, he is more on the hero side. He is ranked number 4 in the book as you know.

Most of the guys in the novel practically fell for Lin Xian Er and slept with her, except for Little Li and Ah Fei. Ah Fei was too much of a naive good boy, though he loved her and thought of her like a goddess. Little Li had his heart all for Lin Shi Yin.

I will start watching the sequel to this series soon. The opening seemed alright, missing Ah Fei and the old cast members but I'm willing to give it a try. So is this number 4th ranked guy any good in this show? Or just mroe meat for LXH to pwn?
    Umm, he is the same way he was in the novel. You can tell though that Little Li is much better than him.
    Last edited by Felix; 07-12-07 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    You will be disappointed with the sequal too. I don't even remember who was ranked #4.
    FYI, Guo Song Yang is ranked 4th.

I love Yang Yan. She is so beautiful. But that's beside the point, isn't it. The sequel, the TV sequel, was very bad in my opinion. A really big part of it is because I always thought Li XunHuan's voice changed in the series. He looks the same on screen but his voice sounds very old and hoarse.

Oh. About Faye Yu Fei Hong, she acts in many Chinese mainland series that unfortunately don't get as much credit as they should. She acted in Wu You Gong Zhu, an adaption of a wuxia novel by Xiao Yi, a series about a Ming emperor (I forgot the name of the movie) and a series with Zhou Jie in it (also forgot the name). Currently, she is filming a series called Yin Xin Yin Xin (I think), which is an adaption of a novel called Yin Xin (I think).
    “我停在原处也许就是为了让大家在累的时候,有个可以回头休息的地方。”

Quote Originally Posted by fridaythe13th View Post
    I love Yang Yan. She is so beautiful. But that's beside the point, isn't it. The sequel, the TV sequel, was very bad in my opinion. A really big part of it is because I always thought Li XunHuan's voice changed in the series. He looks the same on screen but his voice sounds very old and hoarse.

Oh. About Faye Yu Fei Hong, she acts in many Chinese mainland series that unfortunately don't get as much credit as they should. She acted in Wu You Gong Zhu, an adaption of a wuxia novel by Xiao Yi, a series about a Ming emperor (I forgot the name of the movie) and a series with Zhou Jie in it (also forgot the name). Currently, she is filming a series called Yin Xin Yin Xin (I think), which is an adaption of a novel called Yin Xin (I think).
    It seems like you are a huge fan of hers. I was just wondering if you knew what was her first series ever? First time I watched the show, I thought she looked very familiar. Does she remind anyone of Phyllis Quek a little?

Thank you very much. I am a huge fan of hers.

Her first movie role was in a film called "Bamboo" in 1980. But her first series was in the Chinese series "Holding Hands" (rough translation) in 1998. The series was quite popular in China.
    “我停在原处也许就是为了让大家在累的时候,有个可以回头休息的地方。”

I still am shocked that such an adorable, understanding and sweet woman like Yang Yan! She was portrayed as the perfect woman, even better, the perfect wuxia wife! She was smart, witty, caring, LETHAL and drop dead gorgeous, I mean what more can you ask for? LXH really does know how to pick the right women. Anyway, when I tried to find info about this gorgeous actress there was hardly any availble. Has she played in more series?
    i think she's been in quite a few series, but personally, i don't find her gorgeous and her character annoyed me, probably because it was made up, but also because she was too 'smart arse' for my liking.

I also didn't like the made up character Yang Yan. I am surprised that so many others actually liked her. I was really happy that she wasn't a real character in the novel. Yu Fei Hong is ok, but I am not a big fan of hers either. I am actually glad that LXH said that he never loved Yang Yan in the series sequal(of course, he is supposed to love Lin Shi Yin and then only Xiao Hong).
    I didn't know Yu Fei Hong was still filming.. Thanks for the info! I thought she was long retired...

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    I also didn't like the made up character Yang Yan. I am surprised that so many others actually liked her. I was really happy that she wasn't a real character in the novel.
    haha, for a moment i thought i was the only one... which i thought was weird because i didn't expect a lot of people to have liked Yang Yan either. As a couple, i prefer Lin Shi Yin and Li Xun Huan.

I actually enjoyed this series (mostly the first half since i found the second half pretty boring) a lot more than i thought i would based on the fact that series usually unfaithful (flying fox 99) tend to turn out... badly...

It had a pretty good cast. Vincent Jiao is just too hot! Sun Xiao Hong is adorable, Lin Shi Yin has a very classic, pretty face, Lin Xian Er is not as beautiful as i expected, but her expression and overall feel was also great for the role. Wu Jing is adorable, though slightly dorky, but i love watching him on screen anyway. The fighting scenes were pretty decent considering some 90s series had terrible scenes.

i haven't watched the sequel though. i'm not sure if i want to watch it...

I LOVED Yang Yan!

She was the perfect wife for any Wuxia hero. She was smart and cunning nearing the infamous Huang Rong on this aspect. She was powerful and was regarded highly in Wulin, She originally was a bit cold towards people, but when she met Li Xunhuan everything changed! She learned to trust, admire, and love the opposite sex, she was even willing to die for the one she loved. I mean, LXH had seen countless beatiful girls yet he would only fall for Yang Yan and sincerely hold her like he would hold her true lover, Lin Shiyin. Kudos to her, an amazing woman indeed.

I watched the series first, thanks top all the replies here I've started reading this novel and it truly has me captivated. I'm now at chapter 61 and everything still rocking so far, but just knoing that Yang Yan won't appear in here makes me sad. She was such an amazing(might I add perhaps the most amazing woman in this series!) woman and I would have loved to read more about her, I mean in the hands of Gu Long, we're bound to see her drop her dress!

I've googled Yu Fei Hong, hardly any info about her. Only link I found was http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/people.asp?id=5775.

She doesn't exactly look gorgeous in that picture, I even thought it was a different woman.

Will try to get my hands on other series she's played in, she looks so damn hot in ancient costumes

She was powerful and was regarded highly in Wulin, She originally was a bit cold towards people, but when she met Li Xunhuan everything changed!
    that's two reasons why i think the series did her injustice. Fell in love and changed too quickly- i liked the fact that she was intelligent though. It's something i find lacking in a lot of female characters. The other thing was that for someone portrayed to be so powerful in the series, she died in a really lame way. You watch LXH and AF fighting SGJH and it's a pretty full on fighting scene but then Yang Yan, it's "stab... dies."

You should start up a thread in the actress forum for her. From memory there isn't one. People will start posting pictures etc. when they see the thread.

these don't belong in this thread, but i'll post them up and move them if need be

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.jpgsky.com/infoPic/pic44/pic44244c1.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.5pk.cn/infoPic/pic44/pic44240c1.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://image.tvmao.com/mingxing/wgangtai/yufeihong/b/yufeihong1003.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ent.ccca.org.cn/upload/2006_03/06032710576834.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://pic.50004.com/china/yufeihong/IMG_sweet_Yu_Fei_Hong_003.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://lady.qq.com/star_images/yufeihong/4.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://lady.qq.com/star_images/yufeihong/9.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://lady.qq.com/star_images/yufeihong/12.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://lady.qq.com/star_images/yufeihong/5.jpg')
    Last edited by 0-0-0; 07-16-07 at 05:06 AM.