Thread: Teaching English in a Foreign Country

Default Teaching English in a Foreign Country

Has anybody considered teaching English in a foreign country, like Japan, China or South Korea?

Some only required a bachelor's degree.

The pay is low, but you get free boarding. The experience of living aboard is priceless.

I have always wanted to, but have not been able to do it yet. My major is TESOL so that is what I hope to do one day. The biggest obstacle is my family since they are soo protective of me that I don't know how to convince them to let me go...AR... A number of my friends and collegues have already taught English in a foreign country and said that the experiences are priceless and will be something that they will remember for the rest of their lives...
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

i once considered that...teaching in xiamen...wud hav pushed through my plan if things didnt take a twist....my pals say it aint easy...but its rewarding actually, not the pay but the experience...

u see, it feels good wen u actually see these foreigners learn...hav tried teachng foreigners but not overseas

Trinie! u go try! i support u all the way! jia you
    大爺來了﹗

想唱就唱, 唱得向亮! 力揚加油

MAGIC SHOOTER HISASHI MITSUI!

I am going to be doing this very soon. The thought kind of freaks me out since I haven't been in such a situation before. But I'll figure out some way...and if everything gets screwed up I'll comfort myself with Godiva.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    I am going to be doing this very soon. The thought kind of freaks me out since I haven't been in such a situation before. But I'll figure out some way...and if everything gets screwed up I'll comfort myself with Godiva.
    good luck spark go get a great big supply of godiva just in case
    大爺來了﹗

想唱就唱, 唱得向亮! 力揚加油

my journalism teacher went to teach in a beijing college for a few weeks. he said he loved it and even brought some some Lay's potato chips in a chinese favor that he's never seen here. and he eevn tried speaking mando to me. lol. yea that part was kinda werid tho.
    The best part of believe is the lie.

Well if you're already Chinese, the experience can't be that different. If I went, I would probably just stay somewhere closer to my relatives, etc. I want to do it, but most requrie 1 year commitment. And the pay kind of sucks.

oh.. i forgot to mention that hes white (jewish), but im chinese lol.
    but he could speak in limited chinese to communicate with the college students.
    The best part of believe is the lie.

I got a letter from a college asking me to take their 4 week course after i get my BA to go teach english in a foreign country, my english is crap but if it's just teaching from a text book i'll probably be able to do it, not sure how much they'll pay me though, probably crappy *** pay. Although it might be a nice break from college.

Quote Originally Posted by warlock110 View Post
    I got a letter from a college asking me to take their 4 week course after i get my BA to go teach english in a foreign country, my english is crap but if it's just teaching from a text book i'll probably be able to do it, not sure how much they'll pay me though, probably crappy *** pay. Although it might be a nice break from college.
    That's a pretty good deal...4 weeks is a really short time. Most places I've looked into want at least a year, which I'm definitely not willing to commit to. Those summer things are rare, and when they exist, the pay is absolutely horrible. I'm a poor student and need to make money lol.

Quote Originally Posted by yearning View Post
    That's a pretty good deal...4 weeks is a really short time. Most places I've looked into want at least a year, which I'm definitely not willing to commit to. Those summer things are rare, and when they exist, the pay is absolutely horrible. I'm a poor student and need to make money lol.
    4 weeks to study how to "teach english", not sure how long the term is when you actually go teach.

4 weeks to study how to "teach english", not sure how long the term is when you actually go teach.

Oh so YOU pay to learn how to teach English? That's not good then...they should pay for the training. Sounds a tad bit fishy. In that case, I would only do it if I wanted to teach English permanently or at least for a good 2-3 years in CHina.

Crap English in return for crap pay. Sounds like a fair exchange.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

warlock...why do u always say that ur english is not good? i dun thnk ur english is crap at all...u sound fine, really im sure ul do good
    大爺來了﹗

想唱就唱, 唱得向亮! 力揚加油

Quote Originally Posted by big master View Post
    warlock...why do u always say that ur english is not good? i dun thnk ur english is crap at all...u sound fine, really im sure ul do good
    compare to the native speaker i'm not as good, my writting is B rated at best (maybe B+ at times in college), i've never gotten an A on my paper in college before, but partially because i don't proof read my papers, hehe i normally write them @ the last minute with relatively fast pace. other wise i've only been in the US for about 9 years, came when i was 11 or 12, so i can't speak it as well as the native born, even though i been in the US at a relatively young age, i think the period to "learn languages" passed already, therefore i can't seems to comprehend the language as well as the native born white kids.

PS: my vocabulary is horrible too.

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Crap English in return for crap pay. Sounds like a fair exchange.
    i'm a risk adverse person, i don't take fair exchange.

Quote Originally Posted by yearning View Post
    Oh so YOU pay to learn how to teach English? That's not good then...they should pay for the training. Sounds a tad bit fishy. In that case, I would only do it if I wanted to teach English permanently or at least for a good 2-3 years in CHina.
    well, the thing is, you might know english, but teaching is a totally different thing, my school is full of proffesor who are doctors or who are very popular/smart in their field of study, however a very small percentage of them can actually teach what they know. They want you to at least have a sense of teaching before u do it. 4 weeks of studying isn't that bad IMO. I doubt that many people living in China will read/write/speak english better than folks who graduate college in the US.

PS: my vocabulary is horrible too.
    read more books it enhances vocabulary skills but as for myself, i dun really lov reading coz it makes me feel sooo sleepy
    大爺來了﹗

想唱就唱, 唱得向亮! 力揚加油

Quote Originally Posted by big master View Post
    read more books it enhances vocabulary skills but as for myself, i dun really lov reading coz it makes me feel sooo sleepy
    i stop reading books since 3-4 years ago, such a waste of time.

i stop reading books since 3-4 years ago, such a waste of time.
    i oni read comics n mangas
    大爺來了﹗

想唱就唱, 唱得向亮! 力揚加油