Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flaw with dugu 9 swords?

Default Flaw with dugu 9 swords?

First and foremost this post is about the Dugu 9 Swords Swords featured in SPW/ State of Divinity, NOT the levels of swordplay in ROCH found in Dugu's cave. The thing with Dugu 9 Swords was to either wait for your opponent, and then attack yet faster and at a point in which they must defend causing you to have the offense or striking without stances (slashing endlessly). However this works only because when you make a move at a person's area that's undefended, they'll surely move back and defend fearful of losing their own life. However what happens if it were someone who wanted to go on an all-out suicide attempt and did not care about death.
    "Missing out on the grab, Feng Buping immediately drew his sword and slashed it at Linghu Chong’s back neck. Following normal sword art principles, Linghu Chong should have jumped back quickly before returning the attack, but with all his internal energy in a state of complete chaos, which prevented him from using any bit of inner strength, he simply couldn’t jump back to dodge. Having no alternative, he retrieved his sword out from Cong Buqi’s shoulder and used another technique out of the Dugu Nine Swords. Stabbing his sword out with a backhand, he pointed the sword tip at Feng Buping’s belly button. It looked almost as if it was another death-defying move of Linghu Chong that would end up in common ruin, but the stab had a surprising position that his sword would have pierced the enemy’s belly before the enemy’s weapon would ever reach him. It would only be a split of a second difference in speed, but the end result would be dramatically different."
    From this excerpt it is clear that with Dugu 9 Swords makes it so that although you attack second, you will be the first to deal the damage. But is this always true? Hence going back to the suicide theory.

but the stab had a surprising position that his sword would have pierced the enemy’s belly before the enemy’s weapon would ever reach him.

Therein lies my biggest beef with Dugu Jiu Jian. It defies inter-spatial perception. If Feng had a longer sword and was sticking it straight out, surely there is no way Linghu could have placed his sword in a position** to touch Feng first (if there is, it is beyond my limited sense of inter-spatial perception to imagine this). Unless Linghu can extend his arm like Dhalsim....

Dragon shaped palm blasts making loud farting sounds do not defy 3D perception.

Wuxia exponents leaping 50 feet in the air do not defy 3D perception.

Swordsman swinging their sword so fast it forms circles of light or even creating lightning bolts that fly across a mountain do not defy my sense of perception.

Dugu Jiu Jian boggles the mind though.... with Dugu Jiu Jian, we are supposed to believe that Linghu Chong standing on the rooftop of a 10 foot tall house, with his feet never leaving the roof tiles and a sword no longer than 5 feet, should be able stick his sword into the moon.

There is a difference between 'suspension of belief' and 'suspension of inter-spatial perception'.

**you can argue that it is due to brilliant positioning of the sword but without going into theoretical math, the shortest distance between 2 points is still a straight line.
    Last edited by CC; 07-07-07 at 02:58 AM.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Arrgghhh! I hate DG9J so much I have to rant on ....

How do we cure cancer?

Oh, the brilliant positioning of the sword removed all the tumour cells in a flash.

It's official.

Dook Goo 9 Swords is the biggest "B.S." martial art ever.

LHC's straight line is straighter.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Maybe Linghu Chong somehow shifted his body so that his sword will reach the enemy first.

Yes, but once again inter-spacial perception. I support Dugu's "swordplay" featured in ROCH because you actually needed sufficient internal energy to get past somebody, the Dugu 9 Swords in SPW is just... really BS

JY is full of BS you know.... I still like his stories though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangs View Post
    JY is full of BS you know.... I still like his stories though.
    This is what happens when we try an make sense of a fantasy world, though it is in a real world setting.
    秋风清,秋风明;落叶聚还散,寒鸦栖复惊。相思相见知何日,此时此夜难为情

I'm with CC on this one, I can imagine LDAs, lightness skill and even all kinds of strange internal energy feats but when I read about some of the stuff LHC does with DG9J I just cannot imagine how it could possibly work, and it's somehow pretty frustrating to see someone get away with doing something physically impossible.

I suppose the constant reminders in the first part of the novel about how LHC cannot actually use any internal energy while pulling of some completely impossible stuff or how he isn't moving very fast yet somehow has the time to draw his sword/pick up his sword/take a coffee break while his opponents sword is already almost touching LHC doesn't help either.

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    but the stab had a surprising position that his sword would have pierced the enemy’s belly before the enemy’s weapon would ever reach him.

Therein lies my biggest beef with Dugu Jiu Jian. It defies inter-spatial perception. If Feng had a longer sword and was sticking it straight out, surely there is no way Linghu could have placed his sword in a position** to touch Feng first (if there is, it is beyond my limited sense of inter-spatial perception to imagine this). Unless Linghu can extend his arm like Dhalsim....
    as flexibility is the key for dugu 9 jian, i would imagine if Feng did indeed have a longer sword, then perhaps linghu would've chosen another stance or position.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    It's official.

Dook Goo 9 Swords is the biggest "B.S." martial art ever.
    Allow me to further prove its BSness.

Sometimes LHC would stare at the enemy for 30 moves before finding an opening and making his move. Wouldn't the 30 moves kill him!!!

If you can accept lightness kung fu, you should be able to accept just about anything! Just turn off your credibility sense and enjoy the stories.

Quote Originally Posted by sarakoth View Post
    Allow me to further prove its BSness.

Sometimes LHC would stare at the enemy for 30 moves before finding an opening and making his move. Wouldn't the 30 moves kill him!!!
    LHC isn't standing there doing nothing for the 30 moves . he's likely blocking the moves, but it takes 30 for him to find a way to defeat the opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    LHC isn't standing there doing nothing for the 30 moves . he's likely blocking the moves, but it takes 30 for him to find a way to defeat the opponent.
    Doesn't Dook Goo 9 Swords completely lack any defensive moves, relying instead on pure offense? Or am I confusing it with something else?

That's correct. Every attack is also a 'defense' in the sense that it forces the opponent to cancel their own attack, or perish.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
    If you can accept lightness kung fu, you should be able to accept just about anything! Just turn off your credibility sense and enjoy the stories.
    I can turn off my 'credibility' sense if it does not distort my inter-spatial perception. I cannot turn off my inter-spatial perception.

DG9J is like having 2 characters run 100m on identical tracks. We are supposed to accept that A runs at a higher velocity but B finishes first due to the 'brilliance' and 'surprising technique' of his strides.

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    I can turn off my 'credibility' sense if it does not distort my inter-spatial perception. I cannot turn off my inter-spatial perception.

DG9J is like having 2 characters run 100m on identical tracks. We are supposed to accept that A runs at a higher velocity but B finishes first due to the 'brilliance' and 'surprising technique' of his strides.
    why must they run on identical tracks? is the track straight or curved? if the track is curved, then perhaps B took a cut

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Doesn't Dook Goo 9 Swords completely lack any defensive moves, relying instead on pure offense? Or am I confusing it with something else?
    Obviously he has to move his body to avoid the attacks too.

By defensive moves, I think it meant using the sword to block or something to that extent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    why must they run on identical tracks? is the track straight or curved? if the track is curved, then perhaps B took a cut
    because then it wouldn't be inter-spatial perception.. argue outta this one lol